Jello and wavy footage
2721 20 2015-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

I've had my Inspire for about a week now and it's a great flying machine. However, I am getting a great deal of wavy/jello footage (1080P 24/30 fps). Wind has been a factor about 8-15 mph each day I've flown. I'm using the ND filter on bright sunny days and perform all of the calibrations, but doesn't help much.
DJI or any other knowledgeable pilot:
Is there a camera setting or gimbal mod to counteract this effect?

Or is this what I need to expect on moderately winding days?

2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try the harder dampeners that were included in the kit.
2015-1-28
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
United States

Copy that Blade.
2015-1-28
Use props
vincenzor1.gmai
lvl.2

Canada

Lets us know how the harder dampeners turn out as I'm having the same issue.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have found the harder dampeners help for jello at fast forward flight and in heavy wind. The trade off is a little micro bounces in very still conditions some times.
2015-1-28
Use props
jessecarllane
lvl.1

United States

I didn't get any "dampeners" nor are they listed in"what's included".  What are they?
2015-1-28
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

They are little black rubber plugs should have been in a small plastic sealed packet in the case.
2015-1-28
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 309626 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-29 11:28
I have found the harder dampeners help for jello at fast forward flight and in heavy wind. The trade ...

Thanks Ken... I had stopped reading this board and missed this. I will try the dampeners.
2015-1-29
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am having a friend make me a prop balancer for these Inspire props so I can see how bad they really are.  Hope he gets the job done soon.
2015-1-29
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-29 11:28
I have found the harder dampeners help for jello at fast forward flight and in heavy wind. The trade ...

Changed to the harder dampers. Haven't tested it out yet. Is there a systematic method  for installing the dampers? I had a pretty hard time.  I feel like I shortened their lifespan by half just by pulling, tugging, and stretching.
2015-2-3
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Allerc.com has balance rods. I already have one.
2015-2-3
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blade, what are those balance rods your talking about.   I missed that.
2015-2-3
Use props
DaVePI
lvl.2

United States

Try using nd filter even on overcast (not bright) days. The lower the shutter speed, the better dealing with jello effect.
2015-2-3
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

DaVePI Posted at 2015-2-4 12:55
Try using nd filter even on overcast (not bright) days. The lower the shutter speed, the better deal ...

true but it will result in motion blur and probably grainy video because of low iso
2015-3-17
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Daninho Posted at 2015-3-18 00:58
true but it will result in motion blur and probably grainy video because of low iso

If you are looking for cinematic video your shutter speed should be about double the frame rate, so if you're shooting 30FPS the best shutter speed would be 60.

If instead you are going for video game like clarity, move it up to about 120-240.   Try to avoid really high shutter speeds (400+) as this is where rolling shutter (jello) starts to creep in.

I'm going to experiment with stronger ND and I think in coming weeks we'll see quite a few options discussed as a lot of users are messing around with it.
2015-3-17
Use props
Editart
lvl.2

Sweden

Daninho Posted at 2015-3-18 00:58

Actually lowering the shutter will make the image brighter since you are letting more light onto the sensor. A low ISO also gives you a less noisier image, higher ISO = more digital noise introduced since the sensor is more or less gaining the image internally.

I also believe that the word cinematic does not correspond to changing the shutter speed, its a pretty simplified explanation and a common misconception. In cinema we use all different kinds of shutters speeds, whatever serves the purpose I guess. Check the night time scenes in "Collateral" and compare that to the opening scene of "Saving Private Ryan", world apart in shutter angle, still cinematic. The word cinematic is more about composition, light and movement rather than the shutter(angle) in the camera.

Simply put, if you want to avoid motionblur, go for a higher shutter and vice versa. In daylight you should not have to worry about noise in the image. Yello can be somewhat avoided with a lower shutter speed yes, bur it also introduces motionblur as you say.

Its going to be interesting to see if there is some optimal setting to keep the yello at a minimum. Global shutter would solve that, hopefully in the next version of the upgradable camera!

regards
m
2015-3-17
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Editart Posted at 2015-3-18 07:00
Actually lowering the shutter will make the image brighter since you are letting more light onto t ...

sorry i mean of course higher ISO. The ND Filter let the camera use higher ISO which gives you more noise and no, the image is not brighter because the ND Filter is dark. With ND filter it looked like a rainy and cloudy day but it was a relatively bright sunny day with some clouds.
2015-3-18
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Daninho Posted at 2015-3-18 17:51
sorry i mean of course higher ISO. The ND Filter let the camera use higher ISO which gives you more ...

When you need the ND it's usually because the ISO is pegged at 100 and even so you still need a high shutter just so you don't overexpose and blow out the highlights.   

No one is suggesting raising the ISO, in daylight, if it's not at 100 then you probably don't need the ND in the first place.
2015-3-18
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-18 18:34
When you need the ND it's usually because the ISO is pegged at 100 and even so you still need a hi ...

you are right i was talking about the gopro camera which dont  let you choose ISO. Since it has a fixed aperture of 2.8 it has to compensate everything with ISO or shutter speed. When you darken the image with ND filter it will raise the ISO as well.
2015-3-18
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Daninho Posted at 2015-3-18 19:06
you are right i was talking about the gopro camera which dont  let you choose ISO. Since it has a  ...

Ah yes, never liked the GoPro approach.  Great for sports, not really made for control.   

That's why I really wanted the Inspire and why it was the first drone I ever bought.
2015-3-18
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

very informative  thanks to all!
2015-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules