Remote control issue - Mavic wont fly straight
1848 18 2016-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

Since day one I have notice that my Marvic wont fly in straight line it tent to veer left. I have calibrated compass, IMU etc but to no avail.

Today I try to calibrate RC and notice that the right stick stayed at left 1 when idel ( see photo).  It jumps from 0 to left 1 at random and I think that explains why my Mavic veer left when flying straight.

I also cannot complete the RC calibration. I can finish two blue squares and turn left dial all the way on both direction but when click "DONE" it goes back to calibration again.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?
IMG-20161120-WA0000.jpg
2016-11-20
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Do it  r e a l l y slowly, make sure both the boxes are completely filled when done.
2016-11-20
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Do you have firmware v01.02.0900?
2016-11-20
Use props
JFXMedia
lvl.2

United States

I haven't had the left stick calibration issue but I do have the straight flying issue. No matter what I've done 80% of the time it will get to the left. I've become skilled at flying angles to the right to compensate for its left biased flight.
2016-11-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Anoniem Posted at 2016-11-20 14:05
Do it  r e a l l y slowly, make sure both the boxes are completely filled when done.

As I said, I can complete the square challenge but there is no Finish button for me to press. Also when press DONE, it beep 3 times ad go back to calibration again.
2016-11-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-11-20 14:29
Do you have firmware v01.02.0900?

Don't know but it's the most updated one.
2016-11-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JFXMedia Posted at 2016-11-20 14:32
I haven't had the left stick calibration issue but I do have the straight flying issue. No matter wh ...

That what I have been doing as well, but more often than not the adjustment will show on the video. You can see the constant changing of direction, which makes video unusable.
2016-11-20
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-20 08:54
As I said, I can complete the square challenge but there is no Finish button for me to press. Also ...

Try moving the gimbal wheel when finished with the sticks. It gets calibrated as well.  
2016-11-20
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-20 06:54
As I said, I can complete the square challenge but there is no Finish button for me to press. Also ...

That is what mine does,  on a Samsung s5 android phone,  I assume the 3 beeps says its complete,   and then it  goes to Calibrate incase you want to do it again,  but  I know what it means to assume,  and can not find a answer  anyplace as to if that is the correct procedure,   If you find out,  please le me know,  thanks Ron

ps,  I have not had mine in the the air,  but  have done several flights in the simulator,  and  on the read out there,  the yaw does not zero out, after the frist flight, and then it seems to pull to one side,  all the time in the simulator,  again, not sure what it is suppost to be doing,  or  the correct procedure to follow for the calibration,  as  the instructions do not have the same info my phone does,   again,  any help,,, thanks in advace,
2016-11-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Visualkaos Posted at 2016-11-20 15:42
Try moving the gimbal wheel when finished with the sticks. It gets calibrated as well.

I did that as well as stated on the post #1. Although the blue line never stayed on like it did on the squares.

Tried calibration many many times but never seen a Finish button once.
2016-11-20
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-20 07:53
I did that as well as stated on the post #1. Although the blue line never stayed on like it did on ...

but you did have the done button,?     I  reloaded the  djigo app and still no difference,   when I clicked on calibrate again after the 3 beeps,   the solid blue line would not  go around the boxes again,  had to go out of the app and back in and start the procedure over again, that is why my assumption of the 3 beeps after pushing done means its complete,  the  sticks are all zero'd out after that,   until like I said I go to the flight simulator on the assistant 2  on the computer, that is where I then get a reading on the yaw,  of like 1.85 after I have landed and shut off the drone,    I  am taking this on its first flight on Wednesday,  so I hope I get a answer before then,    again if you hear anything let me know,  thanks  
2016-11-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

HWKIDD Posted at 2016-11-20 16:48
but you did have the done button,?     I  reloaded the  djigo app and still no difference,   when  ...

Yes, I did have a Done button when going into the calibration page. But the instruction / prompt clearly indicating press Finish when it's done.  I was hoping when I complete all the task and press Done, I will then  see a Finish button. It's all bit confusing really.
2016-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11959747 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-20 17:28
Yes, I did have a Done button when going into the calibration page. But the instruction / prompt c ...

Did you do a cold IMU .
2016-11-20
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

I may not be the best person to assist you but I hope you'll get the help from someone else.
A suggestion for you that may be helpful?:
[Do not want to irritate you but sometimes it helps to show everything what you are doing to others in order to get a solution] make video clip of the software version, start calibration and to everything as you mention in your post.
Post link to video over here?
2016-11-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I did do a IMU calibration but don't know what is a cold calibration.
2016-11-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Anoniem Posted at 2016-11-20 18:34
I may not be the best person to assist you but I hope you'll get the help from someone else.
A sugge ...

I may just do that once I figure out how to record the mobile screen and open a YouTube account.
Cheers!
2016-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-20 19:24

Ok when doing an IMU if you put your aircraft in a cold room for 20/30 minutes minus the battery, then do IMU on a very flat surface a table it must be flat, use a sprit level if that helps.
Doing it cold will also help with warming up period, when you start your aircraft getting ready to fly.
2016-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-20 19:24

Here's something will help you understand importance of doing IMU ..
IMU "Inertial measurement unit"
This was not written by me , but was an answer to a question I posed.
As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, I wouldn’t like to say; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment. Also after a firmware update is a good opportunity just in case the stored values get corrupted or are incompatible with the later firmware.

I did put this piece together because at least 1 person seemed to have a problem, I think Bad IMU.

Its also good to mention that the IMU is the reason why you are able to shut off the motors using just the throttle down command when on the ground. The IMU reads that the aircraft is unable to move any further, and after three seconds it determines that is has officially landed and can shut off the motors safely.
2016-11-20
Use props
BS.vizuals
lvl.2
United States

I have the same issue. No amount of calibrating will fix it. The display always shows the right stick as off center by a few percent.
2016-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules