Video Editting & Color Grading
1560 15 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gunglejim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102359 ft
Canada

Playing around with Video is new to me and was hoping someone could suggest a program that is user freindly and fairly inexpensive or free to edit videos and color grade them? This is for Windows 10 O/S. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for any help.

Jim
2016-12-10
Use props
gavinski
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171663 ft
United States

Black Magic Design's DaVinci Resolve is an industry standard. The basic version is free: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
2016-12-10
Use props
zach5150
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225148 ft
United States

I have DaVinci and I'm watching YouTube videos to try and learn how to use it.
2016-12-10
Use props
Gunglejim
lvl.2
Canada

gavinski Posted at 2016-12-10 13:52
Black Magic Design's DaVinci Resolve is an industry standard. The basic version is free: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Thanks. Had downloaded that but thought it was a trial. Will have to give it a try.
2016-12-10
Use props
Gunglejim
lvl.2
Canada

zach5150 Posted at 2016-12-10 14:06
I have DaVinci and I'm watching YouTube videos to try and learn how to use it.

Will have to check them out. Thanks.
2016-12-10
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I started with Davinci 12.5 but started having issues when I tried to work with 4K video.  My Win10/I7 PC just had troubles with the demands Davinci placed on it (a bit too slow for me).  I switched to PowerDirector (not free but fairly inexpensive)  and found it much more responsive and easier to use.  I think it's a matter of personal preference.
2016-12-10
Use props
Gunglejim
lvl.2
Canada

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2016-12-10 15:16
I started with Davinci 12.5 but started having issues when I tried to work with 4K video.  My Win10/I7 PC just had troubles with the demands Davinci placed on it (a bit too slow for me).  I switched to PowerDirector (not free but fairly inexpensive)  and found it much more responsive and easier to use.  I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Thanks, will check that one out. Find that there is a bit of a learning curve to Davinci. Worked well on my computer but it was only saving in the Quicktime .mov format and my computer doesn't get along with that format for some reason. Will get this figured out yet and check out some tutorials.
2016-12-10
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

Gunglejim Posted at 2016-12-10 19:49
Thanks, will check that one out. Find that there is a bit of a learning curve to Davinci. Worked well on my computer but it was only saving in the Quicktime .mov format and my computer doesn't get along with that format for some reason. Will get this figured out yet and check out some tutorials.

Yes, I had similar issues. The free version of Davinci was somewhat limited in the formats it would render.

The mov limitation is easy to get around though. There are plenty of programs to covert from mov to mp4 if that wrapper works better for you.
2016-12-11
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Iceland

I too encounter the mov problem. Turn out a fresh install of Windows 10 solved the problem. Doesn't work on my older machine running Win 7 and Win 8.1 as both can't read the mov file.
2016-12-11
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2016-12-11 10:16

Have you tried generating optimized media? It helps tremendously. If you haven't tried it, check out some tutorials for how to do it. Very easy to do. I can now edit 2.7k video on my Macbook Air 11" (1.4Ghz i5 with 4GB RAM). Haven't tried 4k, but I would expect to get the same results.
2016-12-11
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

I got Davinci Resolve recently. Like any complex program, it's a bit daunting at first, but makes sense with a little practice.

I'm still learning how to color grade, but it's possible. I just need to watch more youtube videos. I did manage to make my face a little more colorful.

If you need to stabilize shaky video, Resolve is a little tricky. I had to try a lot of things before I figured out what worked. It *can* be done.
2016-12-11
Use props
Phlashster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23537 ft
United Kingdom

Also, remember, you can change the video format recorded by the Mavic from .MOV to .MP4 if that is an easier format for your system to process.
It wont help with historic video, but would make life easier going forward.

Thanks, Phil.
2016-12-11
Use props
Gunglejim
lvl.2
Canada

Phlashster Posted at 2016-12-11 23:02
Also, remember, you can change the video format recorded by the Mavic from .MOV to .MP4 if that is an easier format for your system to process.
It wont help with historic video, but would make life easier going forward.

Thanks, will remember that when I get my Mavic.
2016-12-12
Use props
Gunglejim
lvl.2
Canada

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2016-12-10 15:16

Did check out PowerDirector and works like a charm as is a whole lot easier to use. Also saves in the popular MP4 format which I like to use.
As someone suggested to convert .mov to MP4 didn't work for me either, whatever the problem was aslo got converted along with it.
Thanks again for the suggestion of PowerDirector.  Ready and waiting for my Mavic.  
2016-12-12
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-12-11 22:13
Have you tried generating optimized media? It helps tremendously. If you haven't tried it, check out some tutorials for how to do it. Very easy to do. I can now edit 2.7k video on my Macbook Air 11" (1.4Ghz i5 with 4GB RAM). Haven't tried 4k, but I would expect to get the same results.

No, not with Resolve, but that's an excellent suggestion. I switched to PD, so that's no longer an issue for me.
2016-12-13
Use props
fans61b37ad7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the Go-Pro app. It works great with my Phantom 3 Pro videos. App is free.
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules