DJI Mavic Pro CRASH
1692 1 2016-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3ric Johanson
lvl.1

United States

I have about 8 hours of total flight time with DJI drones, including Phantom3, 4 and Inspire. I am by no means an expert. I received my Mavic Pro yesterday, and it has gone on one test flight.

Tonight I wanted to do another test.  It had a full charge and a freshly calibrated compass.   It had a full GPS lock and seemed to be in good shape.  I was launching from a foot bridge which had metal poles about 15' away. Not a great location, but less dodgy than many sites.

Launch was, ok, but it started to drift almost right away - then the controls stopped responding. The app reported ATTI mode, and it proceeded to slowly drift.. the controls had no effect at all; I tried both the position control and the altitude control.  Around that time the DJI go app crashed.  Shortly thereafter the Mavic Pro crashed into a metal pole, and fell about 20' to the rocks below the bridge.  

I believe the drone is totaled.  (gimbal ripped off, all props destroyed, motors no longer spin, battery casing cracked).

I can't seem to access the onboard logs; going into "flight data mode" gives me an additional drive letter but I can't access any files; it does let me access the video sdcard.

I was able to scrape the log from the DJI Go app in txt format.   Here's my raw file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... _%5B20-37-07%5D.txt

This link may be a parsing of it:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/F9QUC2YGAKJKASI7VH7Z/

Yes, it was dark.  Yes, I could have had a better place to launch/land.  I'm happy to have critical feedback on what I did wrong.  That said, I still have some questions which maybe someone can answer:

1. I don't understand is why the controls became non-responsive.   The log files actually show that really quite clearly.  You can see me trying to control it away from the pole by moving the RcAileron, but it continued to drift and eventually hit it.  From the time it lost GPS to crashing seems to be about 5 seconds; that should have been more than enough time for me to recover it, but nothing was working.   There was a very slight breeze which is the direction it traveled. It floated right past my head and crashed. If I didn't value my fingers so much I would have grabbed it.

2. I don't understand why it lost GPS lock and ended up in ATTI mode when in fact the number of sats in view kept increasing.  It seems to still be recording GPS position in the log?   WTF.  

3.  How do I access the flight data recorder?  Why does the drive show up as invalid?  Is the internal SD card lose or something?

4.  why on earth did the Android App crash? I'm on a nexus 5p, latest DJI app version and firmware.

5.  Any recommendations for how to reach DJI?   I already opened a ticket because the USB ports on my charger are DOA.

I could share the video but it's not very helpful.  

Thanks in advance for any comments,
-3ric
Seattle, WA

2016-12-14
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Don't worry, we'll take care of it.  The sudden-loss-of-GPS is a known issue that happens to some units.

You can use online chat on www.dji.com/support and follow instructions to send in your unit for analysis.
2016-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules