Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello form community,
I think I've read a few posts that's a you should not launch from a pier due to all the metal that's in the concrete. I'm not talking about doing a compass calibration on the pier but actually taking off from the pier after doing a compass calibration in an open field with no metal around. Looking to get your thoughts on this. Thanks
IMG_20170303_092911876.jpg
2017-3-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

As long as you've done a good compass calibration with no metal around prior to getting to the pier you should be fine.
You'll get errors but after you take off hurry and get away from the pier then all should be fine.
2017-3-3
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-3 12:46
As long as you've done a good compass calibration with no metal around prior to getting to the pier you should be fine.
You'll get errors but after you take off hurry and get away from the pier then all should be fine.

DJI-Ken,
Super thanks for the info.  Looking to get some awesome shots while I'm here in Hawaii!!
2017-3-3
Use props
Tripp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

I would recommend launching the AC from something like a milk crate or box that will lift it off the pier a little.  I've done this a few times with good results.  Before I did this the Mavic wouldn't tell me to calibrate the compass, but when it got airborne it would fly erratically.  Now, whenever I launch from something that has a lot of steel in it I use the box trick and then let it hover for a few seconds at a low height to see if it is flying stable before flying away.   When I return home I land on the pier and it's worked great.  Good Luck.
2017-3-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-3 14:18
DJI-Ken,
Super thanks for the info.  Looking to get some awesome shots while I'm here in Hawaii!!

That's awesome, perfect place for cool photos/videos.
If flying from a boat it's the same thing. Don't calibrate and hurry and get away from the boat.
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I suggest taking off before you get onthe pier and then walk to the pier while flying the MP. Give you an example, I had my MP sitting stationary on my balcony concrete railing taking pictures and the AC START flashing compass error etc. I personnaly would not take the chance since you are going to lfy over water!
2017-3-3
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tripp Posted at 2017-3-3 14:25
I would recommend launching the AC from something like a milk crate or box that will lift it off the pier a little.  I've done this a few times with good results.  Before I did this the Mavic wouldn't tell me to calibrate the compass, but when it got airborne it would fly erratically.  Now, whenever I launch from something that has a lot of steel in it I use the box trick and then let it hover for a few seconds at a low height to see if it is flying stable before flying away.   When I return home I land on the pier and it's worked great.  Good Luck.

Tripp,

Good idea.  IF I can't find something to launch off of, I have done a hand launch (I know, I know, not a good idea but in a pinch...) and will try it that way.  Ken is right, get up and away quickly as I can BUT maybe should let it hover for a bit...just hover higher.
2017-3-3
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-3 18:40
I suggest taking off before you get onthe pier and then walk to the pier while flying the MP. Give you an example, I had my MP sitting stationary on my balcony concrete railing taking pictures and the AC START flashing compass error etc. I personnaly would not take the chance since you are going to lfy over water!

Dronist,

This is also something I have thought of BUT this may NOT be possible from this pier because there are too many people around and not a good area to really launch from.  I will keep looking before I launch and see if there is a place.  Thanks for the suggestion.
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-3 23:14
Dronist,

This is also something I have thought of BUT this may NOT be possible from this pier because there are too many people around and not a good area to really launch from.  I will keep looking before I launch and see if there is a place.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Pro,

My pleasure and do post some of those videos! You may also try to fly early in the morning when no one is there!
2017-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules