Inspire 1 Inverted Flight
11118 169 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

The ONLY way this could of happened is if the barometer and gyroscope sensors failed at the same time. I have an extremely hard time believing this is real...it might have fallen out of the sky but upside down??? I don't think so.
2015-5-27
Use props
healbunny
lvl.2

Canada

howie121218@gma Posted at 2015-5-28 04:53
I took closer to watch your video, I kind confused that your bird inverted fly, it's more like somet ...

This is very horrific I1 hardware malfunction ...sorry to chowtime's lost
The landing gear was down, maybe before the bird falling, the auto return home function started to work (15% or 20% battery?), but however, the battery run out of juice, so the bird start to falling.
I remember when my i1 the battery run down to 10%, the motors will refuse to start.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

mountmotor Posted at 2015-5-28 05:18
The ONLY way this could of happened is if the barometer and gyroscope sensors failed at the same tim ...

Like I said, this is the straight video from the camera. To me, it looks inverted. Ultimately, I could care less if it fell right side up or upside down, I have no reason to make this up. The fact is it was out of control and after the crash, I put a new battery in it and it powered up but still has no connection to the controller. The unit was brought back to the dealer for their assessment. Call me luck or unlucky if it was the barometer and gyroscope.
2015-5-27
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 05:23
Like I said, this is the straight video from the camera. To me, it looks inverted. Ultimately, I c ...

You didn't take pictures of the damages? A fall that high should of destroyed your battery and all the mechanics in your inspire.... This is just so strange!!!!!!
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

mountmotor Posted at 2015-5-28 05:26
You didn't take pictures of the damages? A fall that high should of destroyed your battery and all ...

I'm just going copy and paste my previous reply to save typing.

I knew this question would come up. Where's the wreckage? I didn't take a pic of the landing site as it had landed in someones backyard right in the middle of their garden. I already felt bad that I had to go knock on their door during dinner time and ask them to let me into their yard so I could collect my toy that I had inadvertently flown over their fence. I tried to make it look like an honest accident opposed to an incident that could have damaged them or their property. I collected the pieces, apologized profusely for wrecking a bunch of their flowers (offering to pay for the damages) and getting out of there.I should have stated that the I1 was right side up when I retrieved it and surprisingly the only physical damage was a broken prop, battery and the camera was ripped off. The inverted footage is the real deal. I attached the camera back on just to see if it was possible for the gimbal to shoot upside down and it isn't. I know in hindsight, I really should have taken a picture, but in the heat of the moment, I was just happy to have something back from the heavens and that It didn't hurt anyone.

I guess it may be hard to believe. All I know is what happened. I would like to post a screenshot of my flight log but not sure how because it asks for the address? Flight log ends exactly at 4:07 when the I1 takes off by itself matching the video. Max height is recorded at 44 ft. It really surprises me that one person wrote that I'm doing this for fame? huh? Believe it or not, I have nothing to gain, in fact I'm out 4K on a product that I really wanted to like. I did almost a month of research before pulling the pin. I saw the flyaways and read about problems. Always figured, it was some sort of pilot error or not taking the time for pre flight checks etc. Figured I did the best of my abilities to reduce the chance of any malfunction. i have emailed DJI but they have not responded .
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 05:37
I'm just going copy and paste my previous reply to save typing.

I knew this question would come u ...

I should add that the I1 was upright when I found it. It had luckily landed in a fresh garden with a lot of topsoil and that cloth type material that keeps weeds out. The battery popped out, broken blade and the gimbal mount was off with 1 rubber grommet left holding it. There were 2 plugs that were unplugged. Thats it visually. Who knows how much it was tweaked inside. After plugging in the connectors and pulling the grommets back in, it looked like a regular Inspire with a dirty battery and a couple nicks on the camera. Still, I am kicking myself for not taking at least one pic of it in the garden.
2015-5-27
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 05:42
I should add that the I1 was upright when I found it. It had luckily landed in a fresh garden with ...

Does it still transform?
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

mountmotor Posted at 2015-5-28 05:46
Does it still transform?

I'm not sure if it transforms because there is no communication to the controller. It seems to power up fine. It seriously couldn't have been a better landing (crashing ) spot.
2015-5-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 03:13
Irresponsible,  Dangerous and outright Stupid,

It never ceases to amaze me, how stupid people are.  ...

So let's see if I understand you correctly.

An individual with lots of prior experience with UAS as well as other types of aircraft obtains a new Inspire and conducts a test flight with maximum altitude of 30m and maximum distance of 30m.

Through no fault of his, the Inspire breaks communication with the controller and goes on an uncontrolled climb, then drops and crashes.

And he is, to quote you, "Irresponsible, Dangerous and outright Stupid."

For what, precisely?  Failure to have psychokinetic control over the aircraft when the communication link failed?

Would you care to elaborate on what you, with your omnipotent control of these devices, might have done differently?

I'm sure everyone in this forum is waiting for you to dazzle us with your brilliance.
2015-5-27
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 04:41
Give me a break jnorthcott. No I am not stupid, in fact I do nothing to hide my identity. What kin ...

Read the exemption! It's DO NOT "Fly closer than 9 km from forest fires, airports, heliports, aerodromes, or built-up areas". Where you are is a built up area in the eyes of TC. More to the point why you need to operate away from built up areas when the system goes haywire. What would have happened if the people in your video were hit, what if it was the kid that got hit. Do you have kids, what if it were you kid. You think a mishap with the device doesn't make you responsible? Oh ya, let's blame DJI!  I have enough experience with TC to know what I am talking about. Have you ever filed an SFOC??? most likely not. Like I said, you will ruin it for people who run a legitimate business. Go to an RC club if you want to test and fly! I would call them before they contact you.
2015-5-27
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-28 06:22
So let's see if I understand you correctly.

An individual with lots of prior experience with UAS a ...

It's about violating the rules and if the person has lots of experience it doesn't exempt them from being responsible. A mishap is a mishap. No one can predict it and that is why TC wants to avoid Joe the Plumber  from flying them in urban areas. Go out into the country side where no one is around if you want to test your bird out.  Fly it, crash it, but don't endanger others especially when I read a lot of people buy them because they are cool and have no experience.
2015-5-27
Use props
Kolerazie
lvl.1

Germany

Damn, that are always more!
It's probably better to stay on the ground.

My FlyAway had a happy ending.

We feel with you!
2015-5-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 06:44
Another idiot. It's about violating the rules and if the person has lots of experience it doesn't  ...

Cite the rules you claim were violated (other than by the malfunction).
2015-5-27
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kolerazie Posted at 2015-5-28 06:45
Damn, that are always more!
It's probably better to stay on the ground.

Wow it came so close to hitting those building...

2 Questions
1. Did you calibrate before flying ?
2. Did you have a good GPS single ?

I'm glade it had a happy ending
2015-5-27
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 05:42
I should add that the I1 was upright when I found it. It had luckily landed in a fresh garden with ...

Chowtime sorry about your loss could you post the pictures of the wrecked plane as it looks now?

I can tell a LOT from the condition of the drone actually from data and pictures of the wrecked bird one can recreate the scenario..
2015-5-27
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 05:10
when it crashed or landed very very hard, however you want to put it, The I1 was in landing mode s ...

To me it seemed that it ran out of power after its climb and didn't have enough to keep it in the air just enough to keep the video running.

Then as it's top heavy with its feet in the landing position it inverted and carried on filming until it finally ran out of power.

DJI really need to get on top of this flyaway problem or they could find themselves in a class action lawsuit...
2015-5-27
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Flyaways almost always are due to incorrect/corrupt GPS signal steering the bird is unknown territory for whatever reason.  I bet you the weather was starting to just get pre rain i see some dark clouds as the drone rises further( 5.56 minute mark).
In my experience the electrostatic charge from the impending rain crowds is enough to confuse and charge the bird to make it go haywire. I have had flyaways BUT only in pre rain cloudy conditions

GOLDEN rule if you see DARK cumulus clouds DO NOT FLY! RC

2015-5-27
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-28 06:48
Cite the rules you claim were violated (other than by the malfunction).

Really, I have to explain it to an American who has their own issues with the FAA. Whether he is operating it for personal reasons or for business, an exemption exists and since he is operating it in an urban setting which is considered populated by Transport Canada's rules it means he cannot meet the exemption. Even if one of the points on TC's flowchart is not met, he has to follow proper procedures and file an SFOC.

So gee whiz Pete Gould, I guess for the last year I've been doing it all wrong and Transport Canada has been issuing my SFOC's for no reason.
2015-5-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 07:31
Really, I have to explain it to an American who has their own issues with the FAA. Whether he is o ...

You are speaking in generalities.  CITE THE REGULATION YOU SAY HE VIOLATED.  That means identify it by number and quote the actual language of the regulation or provide a link to it on a government website.

Here in the US, his flight would have been perfectly legal until the equipment malfunctioned.  If he is the owner of the aircraft and it is a test flight - which is what he stated - it is not for financial gain and none of the controversial American FAA issues attach.  If there are Canadian regulatory issues that would prevent a private individual from flying an Inspire to a maximum lateral distance of 30m and maximum altitude of 30m in the middle of an empty field, I have not previously heard about them.   Since I am not from Canada that should not be a surprise.

Perhaps if you altered the tone of your messages and your random hurling of invective this could be a more pleasant exchange.
2015-5-27
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I found this survey on Phantoms and Naza systems Flyaways. Pretty interesting.

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Drone_DJI_Phantom_FlyAway
2015-5-27
Use props
philkaboom
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well I'm not going to get into the legalities or contravention of Transport Canada's rules as I'm in the UK, however the absolute loss of control is very worrying. The frame grab in a previous post definitely shows the bird is upside down, yet the legs seems to be in the landing position relative to the gimbal. Yet in the drop footage captured by phone the legs seem to be in flying mode again. Given the apparent rate of descent just before inverting it's possible the bird went into vortex ring state where it descends quicker than it can create lift as there is a dead pocket beneath the rotors and just drops out of the sky - avoid descending vertically, always descend with forward/backward/lateral motion (I know you weren't in control of this here!). The Inspire's ICU is the A2 - early versions of this had repeated failures flipping S900's or S1000's in the same manner but the Inspire's is meant to be the updated version which corrected this.
Flip of death - http://youtu.be/bCk63L-xV-0

Plug it up via the usb port and download the flight log before you do anything else!
Good luck with it all.

2015-5-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 06:37
Read the exemption! It's DO NOT "Fly closer than 9 km from forest fires, airports, heliports, aerodromes, or built-up areas".

You appear to have misstated TC Canada's regulations by adding nonexistent provisions.  See the attachment and point out where it sets a 9km distance from "built up areas," please.

If you are going to berate and insult people, you had better have your facts absolutely straight.  If you are a legal incompetent in addition to being a bully, you won't last long here.

Safety_EN_Front.pdf

564.46 KB, Down times: 8

2015-5-27
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-28 03:32
If this was a product related issue how is this "Irresponsible and outright Stupid"?

If he did thi ...

I have nothing against UAV's. In fact, I have 2 Inspire 1's and not had one issue. My issue is  that there are a lot of Brian Chow's out there and it has nothing to do with experience when a failure occurs. It's where the failure occurs. He is in a public park, with people walking around and I did watch the entire video. The father and kid in the background... He also said it was a maiden flight. With all the recent problems broadcast on this forum and other forums and on facebook about the inspire 1, even if I am completely wrong which I'm not, why not just go out an fly in a farmers field.

Also my point about the City of Richmond.., "The City of Richmond, B.C., banned the use of all remote-controlled aircraft, including drones and power kites, in city parks and school grounds." Oh I guess I must be mistaken, and Brian has a baseball field for a backyard. Oh, what's that in the background, a school perhaps!  It will be a matter of time before every municipality in the Great Vancouver Area bans them. Oh and why I registered all of a sudden?? I'm on as a regular under a different name, but created this to look for stuff like this that can be reported. I know the inspectors very well in  Vancouver and they know me. TC is short staffed, but I will make it easier for them to look for the violators so that my business is protected from Irresponsible and outright Stupid People.
2015-5-27
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-28 07:42
You are speaking in generalities.  CITE THE REGULATION YOU SAY HE VIOLATED.  That means identify i ...

Pete i am from Canada He did not break any Transport Canada  rules for hobbyist flying....not sure about City of Richmond...
Transport Canada inspectors should be looking at obvious violaters in airlines not Hobby RC Flyers...just my 2 cents

http://www.resourcehelicopters.com/

above industry is threatened by the new resurgence of UAV's like inspire...No pilots needed...a major shift is the pardigm
2015-5-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-28 07:56
Transport Canada inspectors should be looking at obvious violaters in airlines not Hobby RC Flyers...just my 2 cents

Agreed.

And visitors to this forum should address other visitors in a civil manner.  If someone knows something someone else does not, it's fine to provide that information - but adding words like "idiot" is uncalled for UNLESS the conduct is so clearly outrageous that every reader would understand the reference (such as flying a UAS four feet off the ground in a crowded area and forcing people to jump out of the way).

Even if this guy is correct - and I don't know if he is or not, since I have not studied the Canadian regs - the AVERAGE PERSON purchasing an Inspire would think it quite reasonable to test it out in a large field.  If that's not legal and you have to be five miles out of town (which BTW would make the thing completely useless to almost all of us), pointing that out and providing a link to the regulation so stating would suffice.  Why add insults?  If someone doesn't know - they don't know.  Educate.  There's no reason to bully.

And threatening to sift through the forum and turn people in to the Canadian aviation authorities whenever, in his opinion, they violated the rules?  
2015-5-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 05:10
when it crashed or landed very very hard, however you want to put it, The I1 was in landing mode s ...

Hello Chowtime,

Sorry for your loss! I have flown at the fun fly's for years off of King George Highway near Surrey. Great area to fly.

I would be interested as to what you find out and hopefully your flight logs will shed some light on the problem. Did you try pushing your remote's RTH button? or did you only try it on the app.

Keep us posted,
Rich
2015-5-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

philkaboom Posted at 2015-5-28 07:49
Well I'm not going to get into the legalities or contravention of Transport Canada's rules as I'm in ...

This is from the TC website and as far as I can see the owner lives in Surrey, not Richmond.   I couldn't find a ban on Surrey in my search.

So what exactly are you saying he did in violation to this, which in your opinion any moron would know.   I like to think of myself as a non-moron but I think I would interpret everything he did as following the guidelines.
I do see the Boundary Bay Airport but the scale on my map suggests it's 10km from the majority of Surrey.

Do
Only fly your aircraft during daylight and in good weather (not in clouds or fog).

Always keep your aircraft in sight, where you can see it with your own eyes – not only through an on-board camera, monitor or smartphone.

Make sure your aircraft is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself, for example, are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?

Know if you need permission to fly and when to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate

Respect the privacy of others – avoid flying over private property or taking photos or videos without permission.

Don’t fly:
Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport, or aerodrome.

Higher than 90 metres from above the ground.

Closer than 150 metres from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.

In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows.

Near moving vehicles, avoid highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.

Within restricted airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires.

Anywhere you may interfere with first responders

Use this infographic to help you understand the Dos and Don’ts of flying safely:
2015-5-27
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-28 08:47
This is from the TC website and as far as I can see the owner lives in Surrey, not Richmond.   I co ...

These are tips for safety NOT LAWS!!
for Hobbysts like us
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... UAV_Web_English.pdf
2015-5-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-28 09:07
These are tips for safety NOT LAWS!!
for Hobbysts like us
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... UAV_ ...

My point exactly.  The previous poster was saying the owner was being irresponsible in every way.   

From what I can see he was complying perfectly so wanted clarification on his objection.
2015-5-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 08:59
He is in a populated area. That is the violation!

WRONG!!!

Guidelines for hobbiest in Canada (unless you are in a city with specific restrictions) -

Don’t fly:
Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport, or aerodrome.

Higher than 90 metres from above the ground.

Closer than 150 metres from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.

In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows.

Near moving vehicles, avoid highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.

Within restricted airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires.

Anywhere you may interfere with first responders
2015-5-27
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-28 08:47
This is from the TC website and as far as I can see the owner lives in Surrey, not Richmond.   I co ...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... UAV_Web_English.pdf

Right at the bottom! BUILT UP AREA. Do you people not see the amount of homes and buildings in the area. TC considers that a populated area. Now did he assess the risk of losing connection with the UAV as stated in the exemption????????????? Clearly not. He was surprised. He even states, Still Climbing - In aircraft space now. Even if there is a chance that you fly into controlled airspace or are near an area where small aircraft are flying a circuit, you also need a RadioTelephone Operators certificate. And whether in Richmond, Surrey or timbuckfuckingtwo did he get permission from the municipality. That is public park land and if it hit the building and busted a ventilation stack, oh! I'm sure he'll be honest enough to report it, right. Clearly no one reads the information issued by TC. I have over 200 pages of advisories and staff instructions sitting on my desk. Maybe you people should read it and get educated. I honestly can't wait until someone gets killed and sues the shit out of them. I gather we'll see them on TV sobbing their eyes out wishing they could take it back. I'm done, but won't be going away. If you think I am wrong, Call TC for yourself and ask the question and tell him the scenario and you'll find out.
2015-5-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

And you are 100% convinced BUILT UP doesn't refer to an urban center?

I think many would interpret that as DOWNTOWN.    Otherwise why bother saying 150 metres from anything and don't fly over crowds?   
I think these guidelines mimic many around the world and I've never seen any that ban them from anywhere that has a building withing a billion miles in any direction.
2015-5-27
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-28 09:15
WRONG!!!

Guidelines for hobbiest in Canada (unless you are in a city with specific restrictions) - ...

Seriously you people need to read. What does it say at the top of the second page "Exemption requirements for operating UAVs without permission.  And below that "THIS INFOGRAPHIC IS FOR EASE OF REFERENCE ONLY. YOU MUST CONSULT THE OFFICIAL EXEMPTIONS." notice the MUST. If people actually read the information then they would be informed. You are WRONG!!!! Jim.
2015-5-27
Use props
SAFAERIALS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

I think it fake!
2015-5-27
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I think it not fake!
2015-5-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 09:32
Seriously you people need to read. What does it say at the top of the second page "Exemption requi ...

I still say the exemption is talking specifically about urban areas and also only to stay 150 metres from them.

BUILT UP is way way way too vague a term and open to interpretation.

Why would they spend three pages being very specific about keeping 150 metres from anything to then just contradict it in the fine print at the end?

And where the Hell are these crowds and fireworks coming from if not from a "BUILT UP" area?   

I think you're reading something into it that just isn't there.
2015-5-27
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-28 09:28
And you are 100% convinced BUILT UP doesn't refer to an urban center?

I think many would interpret ...

Jim, I've done my research. If you don't believe me contact TC yourself.
2015-5-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 09:47
Jim, I've done my research. If you don't believe me contact TC yourself.

Since I'm in Australia I'll focus on the laws here.  I'm sure if I kept calling them for clarification they would eventually talk themselves into a corner and say there actually are no legal places to fly anywhere.

So I'll stick to their guidelines until they say something more specific.  

2015-5-27
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-28 09:50
Since I'm in Australia I'll focus on the laws here.  I'm sure if I kept calling them for clarifica ...

Terminology: Built-up Area

Built-up Area – As it relates the the Transport Canada UAV SFOC process, are considered areas with groups of buildings or dwellings including anything from small hamlets to major cities. Anything larger than a farmstead should be considered a built up area.

As defined in Advisory Circular (AC) No. 600-004

Define Hamlet: a small village

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hamlet

If you're a hobbyist, stay in the RC Parks
2015-5-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... .mc_id=1zfhj#safety
2015-5-27
Use props