3703 78 2022-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nowind
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-20 06:13
What evidence is there of any trolling whatsoever?

Bacause that is his favorite word to use
2022-3-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 03:11
Unless they’re hoping for others to move up to this machine .

Thats going be a JUMP for some people,  also for some applications the M30 just weighs too much.
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 10186312 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

KokoFresha Posted at 3-19 09:42
As hours, your calendar is correct. But I count the days. Entirely December 10 and fully March 19.

Well its here now, when we said hopefully in a week we got it right, at least we don’t have to wait until April. Hopefully it works out for you.
2022-3-23
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3924826 ft
Bulgaria

hallmark007 Posted at 3-23 02:49
Well its here now, when we said hopefully in a week we got it right, at least we don’t have to wait until April. Hopefully it works out for you.

I just installed the update. Unfortunately, the first impressions are not very good. The sensitivity of the GPS module has not changed. There is no improvement in partially covered locations (on my terrace). In a few hours I will test at a control location and I will be able to assess how much there is improvement. But I am already 100% sure that the quality of the GPS module of this drone does not match its price!
2022-3-23
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

KokoFresha Posted at 3-23 04:18
I just installed the update. Unfortunately, the first impressions are not very good. The sensitivity of the GPS module has not changed. There is no improvement in partially covered locations (on my terrace). In a few hours I will test at a control location and I will be able to assess how much there is improvement. But I am already 100% sure that the quality of the GPS module of this drone does not match its price!

Im hearing different results. Suren here who has been using it says its working well. But some others say slight improvement. We do know for those who have already checked that its the same chip as used in other dji drones, and they work well.
Im not home until tomorrow I will check then.
2022-3-23
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-23 04:22
Im hearing different results. Suren here who has been using it says its working well. But some others say slight improvement. We do know for those who have already checked that its the same chip as used in other dji drones, and they work well.
Im not home until tomorrow I will check then.

I posted in the FW announcement thread, and will share similar (though not exactly the same) observations.

I tested in a location that I know is not ideal, in that the sky is significantly obscured (near house, covered deck).  The system had "weak" gps signal immediately (upon connect).  It then bounced between strong and week for a couple of minutes, and finally appeared to have a permanent strong lock.

This "stress" test is significantly improved from the behavior under the prior firmware.  But it still took longer to obtain a permanent "strong" signal than my prior drones from this exact location.

As I did not find the behavior (under the prior firmware) hugely problematic, any improvement is welcome.  For no logical reason what-so-ever, I suspect that when I do have opportunity to test in an open location, that I will acquire rapid lock.
2022-3-23
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 3-23 04:47
I posted in the FW announcement thread, and wills share similar (though not exactly the same) observations.

I tested in a location that I know is not ideal, in that the sky is significantly obscured (near house, covered deck).  The system had "weak" gps signal immediately (upon connect).  It then bounced between strong and week for a couple of minutes, and finally appeared to have a permanent strong lock.

usually when you turn on first “Weak GPS” warning because you have no sats then it changes so thats pretty normal. But I would think anything past 90 seconds is too long. But lets see how it goes.
2022-3-23
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-23 04:54
usually when you turn on first “Weak GPS” warning because you have no sats then it changes so thats pretty normal. But I would think anything past 90 seconds is too long. But lets see how it goes.

I didn't formally or scientifically time my test.  I was transfixed/mesmerized by the bouncing between strong and weak gps signal.  As others have noted in earlier conversations from long ago, the "number" of satellites being reported did not seem to correlate with the "strong/weak" signal.  Things were moving fast and I did not record the screen, but I observed "strong" signal with 12, "weak" with 13, etc.  The # of satellites being reported kept changing up and down, and the reported signal strength kept toggling, and I was specifically observing for a correlation between # of satellites and strength, for which I could find none.
2022-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KokoFresha Posted at 3-23 04:18

There is no improvement in partially covered locations (on my terrace).
If you have a big chunk of the sky blocked, your GPS receiver can't see the sats in that part of the sky.
Go and test somewhere out in the open.
2022-3-23
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 3-23 05:01
I didn't formally or scientifically time my test.  I was transfixed/mesmerized by the bouncing between strong and weak gps signal.  As others have noted in earlier conversations from long ago, the "number" of satellites being reported did not seem to correlate with the "strong/weak" signal.  Things were moving fast and I did not record the screen, but I observed "strong" signal with 12, "weak" with 13, etc.  The # of satellites being reported kept changing up and down, and the reported signal strength kept toggling, and I was specifically observing for a correlation between # of satellites and strength, for which I could find none.

Oh ok I see now, well Suren has been testing for a week or so. It will be interesting to hear what his experience is. IE time taken area launched from etc. really there is no reason with the same chip and software why this should take any longer than other dji drones.
2022-3-23
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Charles Adams Posted at 3-23 04:47
I posted in the FW announcement thread, and wills share similar (though not exactly the same) observations.

It is these stress tests that are most useful because they give us information about the drone's ultimate capabilities, after which it will fail. When planning flights, we need to know what this drone can and cannot do. If I walk in the mountains for 4 hours in the winter to photograph a frozen waterfall, I will not be happy if I cannot take off or I am limited to 30 meters.
2022-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KokoFresha Posted at 3-23 05:10
It is these stress tests that are most useful because they give us information about the drone's ultimate capabilities, after which it will fail. When planning flights, we need to know what this drone can and cannot do. If I walk in the mountains for 4 hours in the winter to photograph a frozen waterfall, I will not be happy if I cannot take off or I am limited to 30 meters.

It's not a "stress test" to see what sats you get when many are blocked by obstructions.
It doesn't make any sense at all and doesn't give you any information about what this drone can and cannot do
2022-3-23
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-23 05:48
It's not a "stress test" to see what sats you get when many are blocked by obstructions.
It doesn't make any sense at all and doesn't give you any information about what this drone can and cannot do

I must cordially disagree with you Labroides.  There are three sets of data that I am obtaining from performing this test.

I am determining the delta in behavior from this FW to prior FW from a controlled location.

I am determining the delta in behavior of this FW from controlled obstructed location to controlled open location.

I am determining the delta in behavior of this drone to prior DJI drones.

I have observed that there is a difference in acquisition time of "weak" gps signal in this location from prior FW to this FW.

I have also observed that there is a difference in acquisition time of "strong" gps signal at this location from the M3 to the MA2.
2022-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Charles Adams Posted at 3-23 05:57
I must cordially disagree with you Labroides.  There are three sets of data that I am obtaining from performing this test.

I am determining the delta in behavior from this FW to prior FW from a controlled location.

I must cordially disagree with you Labroides.
You might grasshopper, but you don't understand much about how GPS works if you think that.
Your GPS receiver can only see as many sats as are in it's unobstructed view and the more sky that's blocked out, the harder it is to get good triangulation which comes from a wide spread of sats.

There's no way to know how many sats are not visible or how few are in the unblocked window.
If you want to learn anything useful, test in an open area with a clear view of most of the sky.

2022-3-23
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-23 06:04
I must cordially disagree with you Labroides.
You might grasshopper, but you don't understand much about how GPS works if you think that.
Your GPS receiver can only see as many sats as are in it's unobstructed view and the more sky that's blocked out, the harder it is to get good triangulation which comes from a wide spread of sats.

Grasshopper intends to do exactly that test!  

...as time permits.
2022-3-23
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 3-23 06:07
Grasshopper intends to do exactly that test!  

...as time permits.

I am eager to learn from your findings, grasshopper.  Godspeed.
2022-3-23
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Labroides Posted at 3-23 05:48

Let me disagree with you. The ideal flight scenario is a special case. A special case is taking off from the bottom of a canyon. It is useful to know where you can take off and where not. Because you will not take off under 4 satellites, and until you get a home point lock you will be limited to 30 meters in height. Obviously, under certain conditions, one drone will lock a starting point while another will not. This is valuable information if the nature of the mission requires it. At least for me it is. In some cities, part of the sky is blocked. In the mountains and certain locations too. Imagine that near certain tall buildings MAVIC 3 cannot lock a starting point, while AIR 2S locks it without any problems. Which of the two drones will you complete the mission with?
2022-3-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Charles Adams Posted at 3-23 05:57

Unfortunately, it is almost "dangerous" to "contradict" Labroides.
Therefore we should rather avoid such a choice of words ("disagree")...

Labroides would also not accept a weakened GPS signal or anything like that. There is "obvious" only present or not present...
It's not my experience, but I think that's how he sees things...   

2022-3-23
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 3-23 07:20

Like everyone else, we all have our own styles and approaches.  I appreciate you, Labroides, Hallmark, KooGlee, and others whom I am forgetting to mention.  Each has a style and approach to conflict and disagreement, but I am able to disengage the "disagreement styles" from the information, and I'm learning from each of you.
2022-3-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Charles Adams Posted at 3-23 07:32
Like everyone else, we all have our own styles and approaches.  I appreciate you, Labroides, Hallmark, KooGlee, and others whom I am forgetting to mention.  Each has a style and approach to conflict and disagreement, but I am able to disengage the "disagreement styles" from the information, and I'm learning from each of you.

...a very peaceful approach.

Unfortunately, some people always flare up if you only begin to express different thoughts...
2022-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KokoFresha Posted at 3-23 06:51
Let me disagree with you. The ideal flight scenario is a special case. A special case is taking off from the bottom of a canyon. It is useful to know where you can take off and where not. Because you will not take off under 4 satellites, and until you get a home point lock you will be limited to 30 meters in height. Obviously, under certain conditions, one drone will lock a starting point while another will not. This is valuable information if the nature of the mission requires it. At least for me it is. In some cities, part of the sky is blocked. In the mountains and certain locations too. Imagine that near certain tall buildings MAVIC 3 cannot lock a starting point, while AIR 2S locks it without any problems. Which of the two drones will you complete the mission with?

This is valuable information if the nature of the mission requires it.
What would be a lot more useful for you is a proper understanding of how GPS works and how the satellites move around in your sky..

Obviously, under certain conditions, one drone will lock a starting point while another will not.
That's not obvious or true.

Imagine that near certain tall buildings MAVIC 3 cannot lock a starting  point, while AIR 2S locks it without any problems.
Which of the two  drones will you complete the mission with?
You are imagining the "problem" is the gps receiver, but it's the satellites that are what really matters.
DJI drones have very similar GPS receivers and there is nothing to choose between them in that area.
Any GPS receiver needs to have enough sats spread over a large enough part of the sky to work.
If you want to fly from an area with a restricted skyview, it won't matter what drone you have.
What matters is do you have enough sats and enough spread of sats to give good location data.
If you have that it won't matter what drone or GPS receiver you have.

2022-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

frankymusik Posted at 3-23 07:20

And it's been my experience that you have very little understanding of GPS and you are a combative troll.
Get lost.
2022-3-23
Use props
DroneBuffer
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 3-23 05:10
Oh ok I see now, well Suren has been testing for a week or so. It will be interesting to hear what his experience is. IE time taken area launched from etc. really there is no reason with the same chip and software why this should take any longer than other dji drones.

Hi Hallmark, with the updated .0600 FW, at he same place on my deck the drone takes unto 60 seconds to reach full lock and the sats acquired goes to 13, from that it rises very fast to 29 sats.
2022-3-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 3-23 20:35
And it's been my experience that you have very little understanding of GPS and you are a combative troll.
Get lost.

... here we have it again!
Very sad the viciousness and aggressiveness towards anyone who shares other experiences!
Very sad...
2022-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

frankymusik Posted at 3-23 23:00
... here we have it again!
Very sad the viciousness and aggressiveness towards anyone who shares other experiences!
Very sad...

anyone who shares other experiences ???
You haven't shared anything in this thread except your smarmy snarkiness !!
Go and troll somewhere else
2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneBuffer Posted at 3-23 20:55
Hi Hallmark, with the updated .0600 FW, at he same place on my deck the drone takes unto 60 seconds to reach full lock and the sats acquired goes to 13, from that it rises very fast to 29 sats.

Cheers Suren, I will update today and post how it goes.
2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

frankymusik Posted at 3-23 07:36
...a very peaceful approach.

Unfortunately, some people always flare up if you only begin to express different thoughts...

I did update, I live rurally so no problem finding open area, I got home point lock at 50 seconds on 11 sats.
2022-3-24
Use props
DroneBuffer
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 01:49
Cheers Suren, I will update today and post how it goes.

That will be a good test since you always had almost 90 seconds to lock sats most of the time.
2022-3-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 02:40
I did update, I live rurally so no problem finding open area, I got home point lock at 50 seconds on 11 sats.

Very nice!
But some still don't seem to be satisfied at all...
2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

frankymusik Posted at 3-24 12:02
Very nice!
But some still don't seem to be satisfied at all...

Yeah, its a strange one, looks like the rollercoaster goes on. I see some unhappy users ahead. You would think they would be know if it was 100% by now with all the time they had.

One thing I flew this evening and I took som photos video using all modes and I found big difference how smooth mine flew and my stick movements seem to have gotten so much better, I thought this couldn’t get smoother than my Air2s, but this evening its was so much better. I do hope they get this mess sorted soon.
2022-3-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 12:15
Yeah, its a strange one, looks like the rollercoaster goes on. I see some unhappy users ahead. You would think they would be know if it was 100% by now with all the time they had.

One thing I flew this evening and I took som photos video using all modes and I found big difference how smooth mine flew and my stick movements seem to have gotten so much better, I thought this couldn’t get smoother than my Air2s, but this evening its was so much better. I do hope they get this mess sorted soon.

... unfortunately I can't remember (exactly) how the GPS lock was at the very beginning (in Nov. 2021).
It just went fast, but was it slower than the Air 2, for example? I do not know it anymore...
There was so much that was new on the Mavic 3, you paid attention to everything...
In any case, the GPS lock was not noticeable at that time, even if it was a bit slower...
But, after the experiences of the last few months, it became very clear that something wasn't right (anymore)...

2022-3-24
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Bulgaria

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 12:15
Yeah, its a strange one, looks like the rollercoaster goes on. I see some unhappy users ahead. You would think they would be know if it was 100% by now with all the time they had.

And I noticed the smoother turns. This is a good improvement. In the mixed feelings of the GPS, I forgot to mention it.
2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

KokoFresha Posted at 3-24 12:34
And I noticed the smoother turns. This is a good improvement. In the mixed feelings of the GPS, I forgot to mention it.

If GPS is not working for some and it is for others , that kind of makes it almost worse. Again if this is the case DJI should come out and say it, and clear up the mess and say what’s happening. Surely they cannot let this go on much longer. It’s ridiculous.
2022-3-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don't know what to do with this, and I'm fending off a profound level of disappointment with DJI.  My experience with this drone and this firmware update is positive, but there are a significant number of individuals reporting no change or worse, and I feel badly for them.

I'm going to cool my jets on calling this successful, and I'm just going to fly as I normally would for the next week or two, and keep observing the lock time.  It could be that my tests are too few to draw a proper conclusion, and I will experience more delays.  It could be (I hope) that others who nave not observed improvement will have more opportunities to fly and find that there really is an improvement that they did not initially experience.

More data.
2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 3-24 13:35
I don't know what to do with this, and I'm fending off a profound level of disappointment with DJI.  My experience with this drone and this firmware update is positive, but there are a significant number of individuals reporting no change or worse, and I feel badly for them.

I'm going to cool my jets on calling this successful, and I'm just going to fly as I normally would for the next week or two, and keep observing the lock time.  It could be that my tests are too few to draw a proper conclusion, and I will experience more delays.  It could be (I hope) that others who nave not observed improvement will have more opportunities to fly and find that there really is an improvement that they did not initially experience.

Its nothing wrong with your testing. The FW is not right. It should serve all the same. I could understand if it was 1 or 2 but it seems there is a lot with similar times they had before FW update. The problem is specific to this drone and people are right to be getting annoyed at this stage. Usually after FW updates you would see plenty of mods around the place but I’m not seeing this.
2022-3-24
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

More than 4 months after product launch DJI is still unable to fix it with several firmware updates; I am not convinced that there will be any dramatic improvement in future for those who are still having the problems now. Mixed, and vastly different results from the exact same firmware version (v01.00.0600); I wonder how many people still believe the problem is 'PURELY' software/firmware.
2022-3-24
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Monkey007 Posted at 3-24 15:38
More than 4 months after product launch DJI is still unable to fix it with several firmware updates; I am not convinced that there will be any dramatic improvement in future for those who are still having the problems now. Mixed, and vastly different results from the exact same firmware version (v01.00.0600); I wonder how many people still believe the problem is 'PURELY' software/firmware.

As early as February, I expressed the opinion that the problem has a hardware component for some users. Then they laughed at me. The update in question is a patch, not a bug fix. The difference between the two terms is that the patch is mitigating or correcting a hardware problem by changing the software. Bug fix is a software error  fix.
In the last 2 months it is more than clear that not all of us have equally good GPS modules (or antennas).
I am convinced that this problem does not affect all drones. If everyone had this problem, MAVIC 3's sales would collapse.
2022-3-25
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KokoFresha Posted at 3-25 00:34
As early as February, I expressed the opinion that the problem has a hardware component for some users. Then they laughed at me. The update in question is a patch, not a bug fix. The difference between the two terms is that the patch is mitigating or correcting a hardware problem by changing the software. Bug fix is a software error  fix.
In the last 2 months it is more than clear that not all of us have equally good GPS modules (or antennas).
I am convinced that this problem does not affect all drones. If everyone had this problem, MAVIC 3's sales would collapse.

I am convinced that this problem does not affect all drones.

Not only that, it also appears that different firmware versions affect different Mavic3 drones in different ways and to different extents, which is a clear indication that there are different variants of hardware out there. However, I will avoid using the term 'hardware problem' just to save myself from the potential attacks...
2022-3-25
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Monkey007 Posted at 3-25 03:12
I am convinced that this problem does not affect all drones.

Not only that, it also appears that different firmware versions affect different Mavic3 drones in different ways and to different extents, which is a clear indication that there are different variants of hardware out there. However, I will avoid using the term 'hardware problem' just to save myself from the potential attacks...

They do not have to be different versions. Each electronic component has manufacturing tolerances. Sometimes these tolerances can accumulate in an undesirable direction. Or in the period of shortage of components to have made certain compromises with quality.
I will also avoid the term "hardware problem" because anger in the forum does not help me in any way.
2022-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules