Mavic 2 Firmware update disables obstacle avoidance in Android
16007 60 2018-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
noobAtl404
lvl.1
United States

i figured out why mine was doing this. its because i was flying it at night in the house.  obstacle avoidance doesnt work at night.
2018-11-13
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

So whats the verdict here?  FW upgrade will disable it...  I am still now upgrading..

IS there anyone there, that upgraded with sensor still OK on Android device or CS?
2018-11-13
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12822 ft
United Kingdom

SectorDrone Posted at 11-13 20:00
So whats the verdict here?  FW upgrade will disable it...  I am still now upgrading..

IS there anyone there, that upgraded with sensor still OK on Android device or CS?

Hi SectorDrone,

All the information you need is in the thread above.  No new firmware version has been issued, so the problem has not been fixed.  So I think your options are:

1. Do not upgrade firmware yet.  Wait for DJI to announce new version and then wait to see if people still experience the same issues.

2. Upgrade and continue to use your Android device, accepting that you will experience the problem of sensors showing as deactivated until you take off (plus wondering if they are really functioning as they should even after they show as active )

3. Upgrade and switch to an Apple device - which is what I have done.  

I have to say it is a much better experience with iOS, and it seems to me that the Go 4 software is really designed for iOS not Android.
2018-11-14
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I just upgraded, and sensors are disabled but turns on when I lift the AC manually from the ground around 4ft.   Need to test it on flight.

Connected my ipad, and sensors are OK, even when its grounded.

Do I expect some issue when I fly ?  I am using CS ..huhuh
2018-11-14
Use props
Hugabeen 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17713 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amershaman Posted at 10-15 23:16
You say that the obstacle warning turns green, but have you actually tested the avoidance to make sure it's working?  I am just being extra cautious. I wouldn't be too thrilled if I was sitting on a plane and the Captain came on saying they had a few warning lights on the instrument panel but they are going to take off anyway because they will probably turn green

Lol. You just won the best comment award today!
2018-11-15
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

I still have no issue on Android. Works as expected. Does not work on the ground. Does not work in low light. As expected.
2018-11-16
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Squashpile Posted at 11-16 14:11
I still have no issue on Android. Works as expected. Does not work on the ground. Does not work in low light. As expected.

So No issue at all?
2018-11-16
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

OK..tested now

The front and back is green when takes off and it's working FINE.

But the side is still red even switch to T mode...

Is that normal ?  It was green before the FW upgrade..

2018-11-17
Use props
rostvoorB
lvl.1
Iceland

Hi everyone,
I've got the same on my M2. After updating every single sensor shown as red. No chance to fly in this weather right now. Hope they will fix it, because quality is getting worse from my point of view.
But i wanted to mention something, which is badly annoying from DJI site, so ... Yes, i will complain.
I fought with update to latest firmware couple of day. Also read about user with same problem- Internet connection failed. I tried go4, assistant 2... nothing.
Until today, when i used vpn and phone as a router to connect DJI servers. Then it helped, i got new firmware finally but... no avoidance... Funny? Not at all.
2018-11-18
Use props
Toting
lvl.1
Canada

I have the same issue with iPad Air 2,  iPhone 6s and LG G6.
2018-11-20
Use props
hawkyzf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3041 ft
United Kingdom

Elro Posted at 10-26 15:52
Same here, I have also this problem and I am new in this world...
I also can't find the option to turn of phone charging it seems that it was off the menu and this is very annoying, the remote is always charging and the remotes' battery drains fast!!!

You can disable usb phone charging with an android app, but you have to root the phone first
2018-11-20
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

For the people that are confused / newbie the new fw is fine. Yes obstacle avoidance is disable on ground props off (why would u need it anyway) it is not until u take off that u get normal sensor function...

P.s. don't freak out! Everything is ok. Again not a problem just a different way dji coded vision algorithms / function in new fw.
2018-11-21
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12822 ft
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 11-21 19:38
For the people that are confused / newbie the new fw is fine. Yes obstacle avoidance is disable on ground props off (why would u need it anyway) it is not until u take off that u get normal sensor function...

Sorry but you are wrong, and your comments are patronising to Newbies, who are quite right to be concerned about some pretty crappy programming from DJI.

This only happens if you are using an Android device.  It does not happen with iOS, and it only happens with Android since the last firmware upgrade.  

With an iPhone or iPad you can still verify that the sensors are working correctly BEFORE you take off.  That's how it was with Android before the firmwareupgrade and that's how it should be.  It is good practice to make sure everything is working before you actually get in the air.  

It is poor software design if a key functionality like obstacle sensing cannot be checked until after you are airborne.  Can we expect that in future updates you won't be able to pre-check compass calibration, etc. as well?

2018-11-22
Use props
Marcius13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1313881 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-15 09:15
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for some inconvenience. Regarding this concern, I will be going to forward this concern to our developer for us to have a clarification about what could be the main cause or what could be the reason for this feature. Will send you a Private message and need to collect some information. Thanks!

Dji Stephen , i have same problem, and when m2z landing it is sometimes 5 foots away,when i trying to adjust to landing mattress,controller gets wery sensitive and drone start fly very quick ,and opstical avoidance are red ??? And i see people have same problem on 10/2018 and now is 03/2019 ??? Any ideas ???
2019-3-18
Use props
Marcius13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1313881 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-15 09:15
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for some inconvenience. Regarding this concern, I will be going to forward this concern to our developer for us to have a clarification about what could be the main cause or what could be the reason for this feature. Will send you a Private message and need to collect some information. Thanks!

Dji Stephen , i have same problem, and when m2z landing it is sometimes 5 foots away,when i trying to adjust to landing mattress,controller gets wery sensitive and drone start fly very quick ,and opstical avoidance are red ??? And i see people have same problem on 10/2018 and now is 03/2019 ??? Any ideas ???
2019-3-18
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same problem.  I went into settings and had to retoggle the sensors switches and then it worked.  
2019-3-18
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same problem.  I went into settings and had to retoggle the sensors switches and then it worked.  
2019-3-18
Use props
yeraymon
lvl.1
Denmark

Same problem with huawei, there is no way I can make them work. I tried did get close to object and it does not work. I hope a solution is found quickly, I have a job that needs the feature. It's absence can be a security issue, and a crash
2019-5-23
Use props
yeraymon
lvl.1
Denmark

They obstacle avoidance in my case, Huawei phone, keeps on No working in flight. Is a mayor issue for my work
2019-5-23
Use props
Starfire3D
lvl.2
New Zealand

My Zoom didn't work very well on Huawei Y7 , no camera, lots of data missing.  I just bought a Samsung S6 (just for the drone) , was pretty cheap considering (NZ$259). All works good now..
2019-5-23
Use props
CarmenMAlex
lvl.1

Grenada

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-21 08:41
Hi there, thank you for being understanding, I already got a feedback from our developer about this concern It is normal that the sensing icons on DJI GO 4 Android are all red when the aircraft does not take off, as the aircraft can detect obstacles. This is a normal condition, and the sensing system is not affected. This issue will be fixed in the next firmware.

Hi Stephen, I'm not sure you're understanding the issue all of us seem to be having. Before the last firmware update, there was NO notification about the obstacle avoidance being disabled. Then we update and voila, the alert comes up. I understand that you might think, hey, it's common sense, it's always disabled upon take-off and landing.
Well, I don't care. I never saw the warning come up like this before and I don't like it now.
Please fix it or give me something in writing that says that if I fly my drone even though obstacle avoidance is turned off and I crash it, DJI will replace my drone.
Thank you for your time.
CM
2022-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules