Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

ScottM2A Posted at 6-25 08:58
Adding a previous request to this thread as well as another:

As others have mentioned in other ways,  I would like to see if there can either be a manual toggle or auto toggle of the on-screen graphics/data to black when they are over bright or white objects such as clouds and white when over dark objects like roads or shadowy areas. Especially in combination with bright sunlight, it makes it hard to see the numbers/data when a cloud it lit up bright white.

Both suggestions added to the list.
The second one is really a far shot, but quite interesting.

Mirek
2020-6-25
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405262 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mirek L Posted at 5-28 08:32
Here are Go Fly app improvement suggesstions we gathered so far:

- Ability to choose H.264 codec for 4k 60fps videos (currently only H.265 is available).
4k 60 FPS is a huge amount of data. I think it is only possible to encode in H265 with lower processing power. So this may never come true for Air 2.
I personally don't need it anyway.
2020-6-26
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

him7403 Posted at 6-26 01:32
- Ability to choose H.264 codec for 4k 60fps videos (currently only H.265 is available).
4k 60 FPS is a huge amount of data. I think it is only possible to encode in H265 with lower processing power. So this may never come true for Air 2.
I personally don't need it anyway.

Perhaps, as you noted, DJI has some technical limitation with MA2 which does not allow them to encode 4K60fps with H.264.
But, perhaps, their decision was caused by something else.

There are multiple benefits for people with computers with lower power or lacking H.265 chipset, to have ability to choose H.264 instead of H.265.

In any case -  you may have a good point, by we simply don't know that.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Mirek
2020-6-26
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

I know I'm not the first one to mention this, but I really hope for an option to show camera settings even when in auto. Preferably showing all the time, just with an M/A button as a lock/unlock toggle and some color coding to signify that the parameters aren't adjustable in that mode.

Knowing the shutter speed and ISO is just beyond essential. Most enthusiast and professional photographers today, me included, rely heavily on partial automation, like the camera figuring out a suggestion for an exposure and/or prioritizing shutter speed or aperture. But we do need to know what the automation is doing to correct when it chooses undesirable parameters. This is especially important on a camera like this that does not have the latitude in the noise and dynamic range department like larger sensors do, thus requiring a careful approach if to optimize possible image quality.
2020-6-27
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

M4cr0s Posted at 6-27 10:38
I know I'm not the first one to mention this, but I really hope for an option to show camera settings even when in auto. Preferably showing all the time, just with an M/A button as a lock/unlock toggle and some color coding to signify that the parameters aren't adjustable in that mode.

Knowing the shutter speed and ISO is just beyond essential. Most enthusiast and professional photographers today, me included, rely heavily on partial automation, like the camera figuring out a suggestion for an exposure and/or prioritizing shutter speed or aperture. But we do need to know what the automation is doing to correct when it chooses undesirable parameters. This is especially important on a camera like this that does not have the latitude in the noise and dynamic range department like larger sensors do, thus requiring a careful approach if to optimize possible image quality.

Agreed - already on the list of suggested improvements.

Mirek
2020-6-28
Use props
L&P AudioDope
New
Flight distance : 53097 ft
United States

Slow the tripod mode speed down too 2/m. Waypoints and course lock options are needed in video mode...
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_cK0RLWEBrGsl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 884278 ft
United States

These are all great suggestions. The MA2 is my first dji drone, and a considerable step up from a prior drone, ($250 price point) yet my cheaper drone had 4-5 features on your list. Of course there are many more that make the MA2 incomparably better than my prior drone.

I wonder what led to the design decision to leverage the fly app not the go 4 app. I bought the fly more package and therefore spent around $1000. I wanted a better drone enough for spend $1000. It isn’t a giant sum of money, but it’s not trivial either.

I love my new drone, but likely would buy the Pro 2 if I could. It’s not like I have buyers remorse, this thing is so much fun, but I wonder why the Fly app was chosen - most people who buy mavic drones aren’t using it professionally. They made a marketing mistake. If you’re  cool spending $1000 on a drone, and decide to go past $200-$350, you want features, period. Enthusiast or pro, doesn’t matter. It Should have been built with go4 from the outset.
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_cK0RLWEBrGsl
lvl.2
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-26 04:52
Perhaps, as you noted, DJI has some technical limitation with MA2 which does not allow them to encode 4K60fps with H.264.

I have a technical background, but not in drones or on video or photography production. More so customer experience technology for businesses. CRM, context center, automation, etc.

The one feature request I don’t  understand is the H.264 vs H.265 thing. I saw someone else mention it. In a business context,,whether video apis, meeting platforms like Webex or Zoom, it’s obvious why H265 is an improvement over H264, which also is very old in tech years, ancient actually.

This isn’t a knock it’s a real question- why would you want H264 not H265,  in any context?
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_cK0RLWEBrGsl
lvl.2
United States

This does not address macs, but for anyone with Windows 10, HEVC May be Downloaded at no cost: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivotverviewtab
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_cK0RLWEBrGsl
lvl.2
United States

This does not address macs, but for anyone with Windows 10, HEVC May be Downloaded at no cost: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivotverviewtab
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_cK0RLWEBrGsl
lvl.2
United States

2020-6-28
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

L&P AudioDope Posted at 6-28 18:09
Slow the tripod mode speed down too 2/m. Waypoints and course lock options are needed in video mode...

Not sure why it is important to you to slow down tripod mode to 2 m/s.
You can control speed with your sticks.

I suggested option to ajdust stick sensitivity.

Mirek
2020-6-29
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_cK0RLWEBrGsl Posted at 6-28 18:57
These are all great suggestions. The MA2 is my first dji drone, and a considerable step up from a prior drone, ($250 price point) yet my cheaper drone had 4-5 features on your list. Of course there are many more that make the MA2 incomparably better than my prior drone.

I wonder what led to the design decision to leverage the fly app not the go 4 app. I bought the fly more package and therefore spent around $1000. I wanted a better drone enough for spend $1000. It isn’t a giant sum of money, but it’s not trivial either.

Check the forum for DJI Go 4 app complaints over the past years. There are certainly more of them than DJI Fly complaints :-)
DJI listened and streamlined the app. It is much friendlier to use.
However, in the simplification they did miss a lot of features which we liked and should have carried on for both Mini and MA2.
Hence this list.

Mirek

2020-6-29
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_cK0RLWEBrGsl Posted at 6-28 19:04
I have a technical background, but not in drones or on video or photography production. More so customer experience technology for businesses. CRM, context center, automation, etc.

The one feature request I don’t  understand is the H.264 vs H.265 thing. I saw someone else mention it. In a business context,,whether video apis, meeting platforms like Webex or Zoom, it’s obvious why H265 is an improvement over H264, which also is very old in tech years, ancient actually.

H.265 was intended for streaming efficiency.

Even though it is well established standard, not everybody has PC power (h/w) to handle it well.
Until old PCs die, we will be stuck with both standards and with people requesting H.264 simply because their H.265 experience on their PCs is poor.

The other thing is that MA2 does not support downloading H.265 from MA2 to mobile.
In case of SD corruption caused by MA2 firmware (check other threads in this forum), there is no way to recover H.265 files from MA2 without third party recovery software.
Currently, one can download H.264 files from corrupted SD to mobile with no problem. But not H.265.
However, if H.264 was available as an option for 4k60fps, than this problem would go away.

Mirek

2020-6-29
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Added an option to disable downward facing sensors.
2020-7-7
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Added request for audio of all warnings appearing on the screen.
2020-7-7
Use props
The Millhouse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2339 ft
United States

This might be a really dumb question, sorry I'm new to the DJI world. Does the Mavic Air 2 work with the DJI GO 4 app?
2020-7-7
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

The Millhouse Posted at 7-7 08:25
This might be a really dumb question, sorry I'm new to the DJI world. Does the Mavic Air 2 work with the DJI GO 4 app?

The Millhouse,

No. MA2 and MM only work with DJI Fly. As a matter of fact DJI Fly is a next generation of DJI Go 4 (if you look closely at directory structure of the app, you will see that it is under dji.go.v5).

I believe (just my speculation) that DJI Fly will be used for next generation of other drones as well.

Overall DJI Fly is much more intuitive and the layout has been simplified and made better (DJI Go 4 camera view was very busy). However, some good stuff was missed (perhaps it will be implemented later) and some UI implementation details can be improved. Hence the list of  requests to consider.

Mirek
2020-7-7
Use props
The Millhouse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2339 ft
United States

Mirek L Posted at 7-7 09:15
The Millhouse,

No. MA2 and MM only work with DJI Fly. As a matter of fact DJI Fly is a next generation of DJI Go 4 (if you look closely at directory structure of the app, you will see that it is under dji.go.v5).

Thank you so much for the response.
2020-7-8
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Comprehensive list! I hope that DJI will listen as Fly app is sometimes too minimalist or over-simplified for such a capable drone IMPOV...
2020-7-8
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

virtual Posted at 7-8 08:54
Comprehensive list! I hope that DJI will listen as Fly app is sometimes too minimalist or over-simplified for such a capable drone IMPOV...

DJI did acknowledge this thread and gave it to their development team to discuss and consider.
New items are being added as people are coming up with new ideas.

Mirek
2020-7-8
Use props
djiuser_0IMQoeI95FIG
lvl.1
Spain

For me, some of the essential improvements, which in my opinion have been implemented from the beginning are the following:

Gimbal wheel adjustments: sensitivity and speed (Mavic mini has it, low-end drone).

Stick settings: sensitivity and speed (Mavic air 1 has it).

Custom low battery warning settings.

Battery Usage Graph - Shows the amount of battery remaining in RTH and at low critical level.

Display of the camera settings currently used in automatic mode.

The Fn button only has 2 options, there is more to add, it's ridiculous.

Horribly unreadable top status bar.

Add D-log color profile, the camera deserves it

To be able to choose the improvements that you want to be displayed on the screen, so if any user prefers the minimalist version, they could have less information on the screen.
2020-7-11
Use props
djiuser_5oEUMoHNcydC
New
Flight distance : 147421 ft
United States

I need RAW only shooting for Mavic Air 2. I would also like waypoints.
2020-7-12
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_5oEUMoHNcydC Posted at 7-12 19:46
I need RAW only shooting for Mavic Air 2. I would also like waypoints.

Already  included in the list.

Mirek
2020-7-13
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_0IMQoeI95FIG Posted at 7-11 18:42
For me, some of the essential improvements, which in my opinion have been implemented from the beginning are the following:

Gimbal wheel adjustments: sensitivity and speed (Mavic mini has it, low-end drone).

Your suggestions have been added to the list.

Mirek
2020-7-13
Use props
djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2149511 ft
Philippines

I just started with the MA2. I never used the GO app, but the Fly app seems fine for me. However, how about more personalization with units? For example, as a pilot I like the altitude always in feet regardless of speed and distance units.
Altitude: meters, feet
Distance: meters, feet, km, mi, nm
Speed: m/s, kmh, mph, knots
2020-7-17
Use props
Werner F.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14745246 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

I want have ability to display VPS hight from downward sensors in Fly app like shown in DJI Go4.
Barometer hight data are not very reliable specially if you’re flying low over ground for Active Track.
2020-7-17
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Dear colleagues, don't you think that if DJI wanted to listen to us, and add to DJI FLY everything that we miss in the absence of DJI GO, they would not have released the first one, DJI FLY? It is a good application for the Mini, but I think that it stays VERY SHORT for the mavic air 2. I also think that the intention of DJI is to use all its new drones with DJI FLY, personally I think it is a FUCK.
2020-7-17
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>
Norway

M4cr0s Posted at 6-27 10:38
I know I'm not the first one to mention this, but I really hope for an option to show camera settings even when in auto. Preferably showing all the time, just with an M/A button as a lock/unlock toggle and some color coding to signify that the parameters aren't adjustable in that mode.

Knowing the shutter speed and ISO is just beyond essential. Most enthusiast and professional photographers today, me included, rely heavily on partial automation, like the camera figuring out a suggestion for an exposure and/or prioritizing shutter speed or aperture. But we do need to know what the automation is doing to correct when it chooses undesirable parameters. This is especially important on a camera like this that does not have the latitude in the noise and dynamic range department like larger sensors do, thus requiring a careful approach if to optimize possible image quality.

I want to second this one. To be able to check and see shutter speed and ISO even in Auto exposure mode is essential (and was available in the old app). This is basic functionality of any camera.
I can not see that this point has been added to the total list?
2020-7-17
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Another useful feature for me would be to be able to do panoramas with Auto Exposure Bracketing.
2020-7-17
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

JensIR Posted at 7-17 12:35
I want to second this one. To be able to check and see shutter speed and ISO even in Auto exposure mode is essential (and was available in the old app). This is basic functionality of any camera.
I can not see that this point has been added to the total list?

It is there. Photo and video recording section. Second bullet.

Mirek
2020-7-17
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Werner F. Posted at 7-17 04:39
I want have ability to display VPS hight from downward sensors in Fly app like shown in DJI Go4.
Barometer hight data are not very reliable specially if you’re flying low over ground for Active Track.

I believe this is the case and that altitude in DJI Fly app is calculated in exactly the same way it was in DJI Go 4 app. If drone is flying low (within VPS range) the altitude is taken from both VPS and barometer and some algorithm to make it as accurate as possible is employed.

DJI opted out of pure VSP altitude simply because it decided to show altitude in relation to the point of start. This means that, if drone is lower than its starting point (e.g. flying down the hill) its altitude will show as negative.

Mirek
2020-7-17
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

JensIR Posted at 7-17 12:37
Another useful feature for me would be to be able to do panoramas with Auto Exposure Bracketing.

Your request has been added to the list.
2020-7-17
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

JM.REYES Posted at 7-17 06:13
Dear colleagues, don't you think that if DJI wanted to listen to us, and add to DJI FLY everything that we miss in the absence of DJI GO, they would not have released the first one, DJI FLY? It is a good application for the Mini, but I think that it stays VERY SHORT for the mavic air 2. I also think that the intention of DJI is to use all its new drones with DJI FLY, personally I think it is a FUCK.

Forum members had exactly the same sentiments about DJI Go 4 app few years back.
The litany of complaints was never ending. So DJI finally listened and changed the app. Ironic, eh? :-)

I am positive that the DJI Fly will be improved. As was DJI Go 4.

Mirek
2020-7-17
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W Posted at 7-17 00:14
I just started with the MA2. I never used the GO app, but the Fly app seems fine for me. However, how about more personalization with units? For example, as a pilot I like the altitude always in feet regardless of speed and distance units.
Altitude: meters, feet
Distance: meters, feet, km, mi, nm

Interesting request but there is really no chance DJI will listen. Switching between metric and imperial is probably the only thing we will ever get.

Mirek
2020-7-17
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Mirek L Posted at 7-17 13:27
Forum members had exactly the same sentiments about DJI Go 4 app few years back.
The litany of complaints was never ending. So DJI finally listened and changed the app. Ironic, eh? :-)

I share your opinion, but why add options to FLY, having DJI GO? It would be easier to add the Mavic Air 2 to DJI GO, right?
2020-7-17
Use props
Werner F.
Second Officer
  • >>>
Indonesia

Mirek L Posted at 7-17 13:24
I believe this is the case and that altitude in DJI Fly app is calculated in exactly the same way it was in DJI Go 4 app. If drone is flying low (within VPS range) the altitude is taken from both VPS and barometer and some algorithm to make it as accurate as possible is employed.

DJI opted out of pure VSP altitude simply because it decided to show altitude in relation to the point of start. This means that, if drone is lower than its starting point (e.g. flying down the hill) its altitude will show as negative.

I you analyze your flight data in external app you can see both barometer and VPS hight.
But we don’t have ability to sho VPS hight in Fly app.
Data shown in Fly app are only from barometer!
2020-7-17
Use props
Werner F.
Second Officer
  • >>>
Indonesia

Mirek L Posted at 7-17 13:24

In this flight i lost my MA2 while flying in low hight straight forward when it suddenly dropped hight and crashed to water.
Displayed barometer hight still shows 2.0m but VPS (Sonar Alt.) what was real hight dropped to 0.3m short before crash.Water was very quiet, no waves at this time.
Why MA2 should not keep hight if use VPS data?
This i could avoid if i can see VPS data in Fly app.
After send flight data to DJI support and analysis i get new MA2 for warranty reason.

2020-7-17
Use props
kmac76
lvl.2
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-29 07:24
H.265 was intended for streaming efficiency.

Even though it is well established standard, not everybody has PC power (h/w) to handle it well.

Well, it is bizarre that MA2 doesn't support an H265 download to mobile. Apple natively encodes its visual media in H265 from iOS 11 forward.

Also, for windows desktops, most of which use intel processors, intel has supported hardware-accelerated HEVC transcoding on practically all their pc/laptop-intended processors from 2017 forward.

Meanwhile, much of the the professional workforce in the US and elsewhere has used webex, Microsoft Teams meetings, Zoom, Google Meet, or another Meetings platform in huge numbers post-covid, and all of those platforms encode by default in H265. Even Cisco, which bought then open sourced H264 a few years back.

I disagree with the notion that this is an issue of pc processing power. To me, it's an issue of human nature and our tendency to resist change. H264 was ratified as a protocol in 2003, H265 v1 was ratified in 2013, and the current version, v4, in late 2016. I realize I am going a little deep on this, but time to move on drone community!
2020-7-18
Use props
kmac76
lvl.2
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-9 04:58
DJI did not implement any suggested updates in their DJI Fly app v 1.1.4.
Adding target scanning feature is liked by some forum members but, in my opinion, this feature is much less important than features we have on a suggested list.

To the point made (implementation of a feature that does not seem to have been desired or expressed often, while other features were not implemented), DJI should consider adopting the same approach as many tech companies do, and publish at the very least their imminent roadmap. They cannot go too far for competitive reasons I know, but it would resolve quite a bit of frustration to publish a small number of committed roadmap features for verified forum members.
2020-7-18
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules