Apple iOS: DJI just tell us! (2.11.15 iOS released!)
22507 168 2015-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rwade1957.email
lvl.1
United States

No more downloads allowed.
2015-2-4
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

United States

dvaystub Posted at 2015-2-5 06:45
Click the little layers icon in the top right corner to select different map types.

Those aren't different map types, and that's a "built up area". Apple maps only has populated areas (where we can't fly in many countries) and horrible map data in the areas I CAN fly.
image.jpg
2015-2-4
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Drgnastro,

Nice work.

Any chance you can provide the Apple contact email and I will certainly raise similar points with them in support.

Good work.
2015-2-5
Use props
Drgnastro
New

United States

GB44
I can provide you her info privately,  I am thinking it might be better if they hear the issue from multiple points from within the company. I would ask for a manager right from the start. They will get you a case number. The more case numbers entered from different people, the bigger the problem appears.  Rather than 1 employee having 50 of the same complaint.
Let me know how it goes,
2015-2-5
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

abe.email Posted at 2015-1-24 05:30
When the new firmware update came out DJI suggested upgrading from 0.9.1 to 0.9.2 (a the time you  ...

Message to abe,

Could you point me to a version of the ISO app, please? Just got my Inspire today
2015-2-5
Use props
dansm1th.hotmai
New

United Kingdom

Excellent work Drgnastro, watch this space then I guess. Ill certainly do the same come Monday if we don't get a resolution, as I'm busy till then.
2015-2-5
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Drgnastro Posted at 2015-2-5 21:31
GB44
I can provide you her info privately,  I am thinking it might be better if they hear the issu ...

Can you provide me with your case number.  I have also raised this here in the UK, and after speaking with a Senior Advisor they asked if I was aware of the Case number you used so they could link the issues and find out who exactly it is being escalated to.

Very helpful though.

2015-2-5
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-5 19:32
Drgnastro,

Nice work.

Drgnastro,
That last post was not for Abe it was in relation to your Apple Case number.  Would you be happy to provdie your case number so the issue can be linked.
2015-2-5
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-5 23:11
Message to abe,

Could you point me to a version of the ISO app, please? Just got my Inspire today ...

Click on this link from your iOS device to download the Pilot App.

http://install.diawi.com/yN2YbW
2015-2-5
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rwade1957.email Posted at 2015-2-5 10:38

http://install.diawi.com/yN2YbW
2015-2-5
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Drgnastro Posted at 2015-2-5 08:55
Hello everybody, thank you Abe for the link!!!  
I spent 2-1/2 hours on the phone with Apple Support ...

Good for you, Drgnastro!
2015-2-5
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes, well done Drgnastro.

Thanks Abe. Your a star!
2015-2-5
Use props
dereksworld.com
lvl.1

United States

abe.abekleinfel Posted at 2015-2-5 23:44

http://install.diawi.com/yN2YbW ...

thanks for the link Abe!!
2015-2-5
Use props
craigarthurson.
lvl.2

Australia

With following these post on the forms one thing that does stand out is the fact that the majority of owner operators it seems are more for the iOS over the Andriod. I hope come Monday there is some positive feedback from Apple management of the questions raised.
2015-2-5
Use props
brianmlevy.me
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I do not have a lot of faith in DJI telling us that the IOS app will be available in 1 to 2 weeks. They keep saying that. However, when I contacted DJI on the 'Chat' facility and ask when the app would be available they gave me a link to download 0.9.2! I then asked if this was supported by DJI and was told, "Of course!". I asked if this was official and was told that it was not as they are STILL awaiting Apple approval.

I have flown using the app on my iPad Air. It is vastly better than using it on a Samsung Galaxy S5.... HOWEVER.... I am a little nervous as when I was setting the app up with the Inpire 1 at home, the app crashed a couple of times... Has anyone had the app crash?

I asked DJI about this and they told me to buy an iPad Air 2!!!!!
2015-2-5
Use props
brianmlevy.me
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you want the IOS app, just ask DJI for the download link... They are happy to provide !
2015-2-5
Use props
Migio
lvl.1

Italy

thank you Drgnastro well done !
will see on Monday
cross fingers.....
2015-2-5
Use props
craigarthurson.
lvl.2

Australia

Contact number for Apple to hassle about iOS is +1 408 974 4897
I have contacted them voiced my concerns and asked the question HOW LONG?
Their response can't tell you a thing privacy act so nothing from them there.
However they are forwarding the complaints on to DJI Developers that customers are jumping up and down with what is happening and have noted my concerns and complaint.
Anyone else is welcome to do the same Apple does not want to loose its consumers to Android if they can help it.
2015-2-5
Use props
rwade1957.email
lvl.1
United States

abe.abekleinfel Posted at 2015-2-5 23:44

http://install.diawi.com/yN2YbW ...

Thank you Abe for the link, I was able to install the app before the link expired.
2015-2-5
Use props
laurent.crivell
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52549 ft
Switzerland

Not only the app is still not available for iOS but the diawi download linkes are still proposing the 0.9.2 (better than nothing though, when Android version is much high). Strange(/Scary?) that no development is done anymore on iOS.
2015-2-6
Use props
marvelles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674022 ft
  • >>>
Germany

sorry but there is a ios 1.0  beta testing version..
the 0.9.2 ios version has a better performance then the android 1.0.4 version...why?ohhh is this strange or scray?
2015-2-6
Use props
craigarthurson.
lvl.2

Australia

After speaking with Apple today I went on to communicate with DJI and they have assured me the iOS will be released in the next 14 day.
Again I will believe it when I see it.  Apple did say that DJI app developers do know exactly what is going on and it is up to DJI to inform its customers of where things are at.
2015-2-6
Use props
kingrossco
New

United Kingdom

Firstly Abe thanks for all links you have provided. I installed 0.9.1 that you kindly provided but i now see 0.9.2 is available. Can you please confirm what is the difference between the two and also shall i upgrade to 0.9.2 from 0.9.1??

Thanks in advance.
2015-2-6
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

craigarthurson. Posted at 2015-2-6 19:11
After speaking with Apple today I went on to communicate with DJI and they have assured me the iOS w ...

Yeah,

I guess DJI are still dishing out nonesense.  

The help line told me today they had no idea when it would be released.  I requested that they formerly request and anticipated release date direct from Apple and then inform all DJI customers of the update via a formal communications release.  I doubt that will happen either.
2015-2-6
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

My guess is that DJI are trying not to highlight that they were releasing the app through an Enterprise license (as with the Lightbridge app) which is meant to be for employees only. It looked like they were doing this because the app was doing something (streaming video over wire)  that contravenes Apple's AppStore publishing guidelines and is not (generally) allowed in an app. There caveats though -  see the  Duet app. However Duet is encouraging the use of other Apple products whereas DJI is not, so I think that's a no brainer.

I expect that DJI are currently trying to persuade Apple that their pilot app does not present any security risks or any potential piracy issues and Apple should allow it in the AppStore because the App usage is of a very specific nature. I expect Apple are disagreeing because it would potentially open up having to accept other apps which might cause piracy and security concerns and in turn mean more work for Apple - why would they cause more work for themselves with no positive outcome?

I also guess that Apple are might well be looking at this from a strategy perspective and thinking about where its future support of "action camera" manufacturers might go, - Apple recently patented an action camera - http://www.popphoto.com/gear/201 ... r-actually-make-it.

Where could this go?

I expect it quite possible we'll never see an official Inspire1 IOS pilot app. The longer we wait the more likely I think this will be.

Alternatively, they may well be able to alleviate Apple's concerns by doing some security work, potentially charging for the IOS app and then I also wouldn't be surprised to see DJI products start to pop up in Apple stores. I honestly don't understand why this isn't happening, surely this is in both Apple and DJI's interests?

Personally, if DJI were always aware of the issue and hadn't gone through the Apple publishing guidelines then they are complicit misleading consumers. If I'm right, the UK there are laws which protect consumers who purchased products that are "missold".

Anyway. I haven't flown my Inspire 1 yet - but I expect it to be excellent aside from a few teething problems, to be expected in such a new product. I'm disappointed at DJI's lack of good customer feedback though. When you spend nearly £3k on a product I expect to get the support that the money deserves.

I think the truth is that DJI is just too small a company, at the moment, and they don't have the infrastructure to support a product launch of this size and complexity and ultimately popularity.
2015-2-6
Use props
scottb.tampabay
New

United States

GB44
Abe

My Apple Case Number is 742923510
I Have Been Talking With Gabrielle Williams

I will let you know what they say on Monday

The more case numbers we have the quicker this will all be resolved.

2015-2-6
Use props
dkpestana
New
United States

I do blame DJI for the current Apple iOS debacle. The apple store has clear rules and it seems DJI was trying to get around those rules... which didn't work.

DJI needs to be transparent. That would at least pacify me a little. I do want them to figure it out quickly. I really can't use the Inspire without the Pilot App and waiting several weeks now is driving me crazy!
2015-2-6
Use props
craigarthurson.
lvl.2

Australia

Got tired of baking cookies and waiting for iOS pilot App so did some printing for my iPhone 6 Plus hope it was not a waste of time.

2015-2-6
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Fact of the matter is that Apple buyers: purchase more online, tend to be better off, tend to be early tech adopters. The numerous posters on this and other Inspire forums attest to the dominance of iOS adopters on this revolutionary product.

DJI multi-rotors are the first breakthrough Chinese consumer product category and has been likened to 'the Apple of the drone industry' for its thought leadership and user-friendly design.

There is no logical reason for Apple to delay approving the DJI Pilot App but silly things happen in corporate offices. I'm willing to bet that some legal person got ticked off for DJI violating the Enterprise app agreement and is flexing muscles under the guise of keeping to protocol.

Either way, if *reasonable* consumer pressure is applied, reason will prevail. Apple resisted making larger iPhones for a long time and look at what a blowout business decision it was to OK the iPhone 6 and 6+!
2015-2-6
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

rwade1957.email Posted at 2015-2-5 10:38

Look around for sites that do continue to support downloads (Mohan has one such site)
2015-2-6
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

What is the "piracy" issue? If it exists on Apple devices, why not on Android? (confused smiley)
2015-2-7
Use props
gregg.gregghone
lvl.2

Netherlands

Should we take this as an official statement from DJI representatives?

Yesterday (06FEB15) I attended the first European TUSE (The Unmanned Systems Expo) at the World Forum in The Hague, Netherlands. DJI had a stand with representatives. As expected, there was a lot of interest in the Inspire 1.

They were extremely reluctant to speak with me about the Inspire 1 iOS issue, and in fact about any other concerns I have. However being persistent (and I am sure they just wanted me off their stand where there were many interested buyers who they didn’t want to hear anything negative), they eventually confirmed to me that the issue with the iOS app is because of streaming video over lightning cable (as suspected by many on this forum). Walking off on me, he made the ‘off the cuff' remark “I would suggest you buy android devices if you want to fly anytime soon”.
2015-2-7
Use props
catmayville.gma
New
United States

Thanks for making that call.  I think, at minimum, we will get a straight answer from Apple.  This is disturbing behavior from DJI.  Can we even trust their software?  Apparently they are cool with not having their ducks in a row.
2015-2-8
Use props
catmayville.gma
New
United States

paul.swieconek. Posted at 2015-1-23 02:41
Thanks for this Post - And the link to 9.2, BUT !!!!  This is only a short term fix.  As soon as t ...

Nice letter Paul.  I am so mad.  But I think DJI's quad engineering is brilliant.  They will KILL it if their software folks can keep up with them.  I'd love to see them succeed with this...I don't even know what tablet to buy now as its just not clear what works.  Obviously I want the Apple devices to work...but I may consider ANYTHING that is highly recommended.
2015-2-8
Use props
st0gas
lvl.2

Lithuania

Guys any update on this? It's Monday
2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

No update from my Apple call today in UK.  They infomed me that they were waiting for the US customer relations to announce something today.  Apple promised to let me know tomorrow given the time difference to the US.

Will post any news if I get any tomorrow.
2015-2-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

??
I have the iOS app 9.2 installed on my iPhone 5S and it works fine just to see all of the features. Does not show the tiny map in the lower right corner of the Camera view. Does anyone else have this issue?> or does the controller need to be connected?
2015-2-10
Use props
Migio
lvl.1

Italy

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-2-11 04:03
??
I have the iOS app 9.2 installed on my iPhone 5S and it works fine just to see all of the featur ...

i just download the IOS app 0.9.2 on iphone 6 pus and ipad air and shows the tiny map.
But i just open, did not use yet....
2015-2-11
Use props
st0gas
lvl.2

Lithuania

Guys wrong place for this kind of questions.
2015-2-11
Use props
roberto.dialtec
lvl.1

Brazil

If you want to buy a tablet for flying with the inspire. I would recommend NVidia Shield. It's really fast, can play 4k videos like no other, it's not heavy and pilot app runs smooth on it.
2015-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules