SO.... Are non DJI Batteries that bad?
20237 54 2016-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

connorschulte Posted at 2016-4-30 10:44
That is incorrect, a company could make an Unoffical Battery and it would work until DJI patches t ...

If the battery doesn't have the DJI specific code, much like your ignition key to your car, you aren't going anywhere with a knock-off battery, plain and simple. If you want to believe that it can be done until DJI "catches" it, go for it. No one makes a battery or software that will make a non-DJI  battery work with the software DJI implements..
2016-4-30
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

FAS1 Posted at 2016-4-30 13:35
If the battery doesn't have the DJI specific code, much like your ignition key to your car, you ar ...

Right, but 3rd party battery manufacturers can replicate this code, then DJI just patches the 3rd party's VINs.
2016-4-30
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

G_MEZ_G Posted at 2016-4-29 10:41
I'm not sure why wanting to spend less money for the exact same thing being sold by 2 different pa ...

But that's not the topic of this thread. This thread is specifically about non-DJI knockoffs. So I don't see how your latest response relates to your OP.

Anyway DJI hard coded it to make non-DJI batteries nonfunctional. So its all a pointless discussion at this point.
2016-4-30
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-5-1 15:14
But that's not the topic of this thread. This thread is specifically about non-DJI knockoffs. So I ...

You're right. I could have titled then thread differently. Good discussions nevertheless.
2016-5-1
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

GREAT NEWS! I am happy to report that the DJI Battery that I ordered off of amazon for 99 bucks (Actually 49 because of the 50 dollar gift card for signing up for an Amazon Card) is the real deal, came in today. I charged it half way to check it with no props and also with the simulator. As I understand, the DJI App recognizes any battery that is not DJI products and should not allow it. I am a very happy camper as the diagnostics look awesome, and I have 2 batteries now!!! =)
2016-5-4
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

G_MEZ_G Posted at 2016-5-4 21:59
GREAT NEWS! I am happy to report that the DJI Battery that I ordered off of amazon for 99 bucks (Act ...

Very Cool...

batlike.jpg
2016-5-4
Use props
jaymie.james
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1813491 ft
United Kingdom

connorschulte Posted at 2016-4-30 15:44
That is incorrect, a company could make an Unoffical Battery and it would work until DJI patches t ...

can you tell me where to find this software to patch the batteries, i've got three of these batteries now that are brand new and useless
2016-8-6
Use props
fansc1b6f1a3
lvl.1
United States

One thing to consider here is that it is very unlikely that DJI actually makes the battery cells inside the battery.  Not all that many factories make lipo batteries. Also, there will come a time now that the P3  getting older that you will no longer be able to get batteries from DJI.  I have flown RC for a couple of decades now, through dozens of lipo batteries and have never had one suddenly fail in flight.  They will normally just get to where the charge time goes down gradually or they puff up to the point that you don't want to recharge them.  I'm not saying to use or not use non dji batteries, just that there probably isn't anything magical about them that makes them all that superior. The internal circuitry of the knockoff battery would be more of a concern to me than the cells...cheap electrical components there could cause a failure more likely than the cells themselves.

2017-8-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-28 15:40
If youre drone is still under warranty and you need to make a warranty claim, then DJI will dump you as soon as the flight log reveals use of a non-DJI battery. And they can do that, no law preventing them from doing so.

Please explain why my P3P has been repaired under warranty then ?

I use both DJI and clone batterys.

Its not true they disqualify you like that ... the case by case circumstance and actual repairs needed are the factor used ... if the damage is CAUSED by use of the non DJI battery - then fair enough.

Facts don't lie ... my P3P is waiting my collection .. repaired by warranty.

Nigel
2017-8-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

FAS1 Posted at 2016-4-29 09:30
The DJI app will prevent flying if it is unauthorized battery. Period.

LOL !!

You sure ?

Mine flies very nicely on Clone batterys thank you.... exactly same as my original DJI one in fact.

Nigel
2017-8-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-4-29 04:15
You didn't get the point?

Point is there are people out there who are cheap but lose sight of their perspective in the grand scheme. Someone who spends 100K on a luxury car (that will also depreciate really fast) and yet cheapens out on premium fuel to save a few hundred dollars per year on the fuel side of things, but risk thousands of dollars of repair damages to their vehicle down the road is losing sight of what matters.

I blend Gasoline as part of my business and I have to laugh at your post !!

Your car whatever brand has a set Gasoline grade to use unless as some older cars had - that had the change over switch for timing.

If you use a higher octane than engine is rated for - then you risk valve and piston damage.

As to this ridiculous idea of cost of model and cost of battery .... what a load of twaddle !! Honestly.

A LiPo is a LiPo .... if the Charge Control board fitted to the LiPo accepts the FW and model flies ... then whats the problem ...
They DO NOT fall out of the sky because its a clone battery .... if it fails - it does not TAKE-OFF !! And those are very few .....

Nigel
2017-8-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

connorschulte Posted at 2016-4-30 06:44
That is incorrect, a company could make an Unoffical Battery and it would work until DJI patches that specific battery with a FW update. I've also seen software for Unoffical P3 batteries that allow you to hook the battery up to your computer and 'un-patch' itself.

Also there are plenty videos and online instructions how to add a second totally normal LiPo as piggy back onto a P3 ... one thats not even got a board or FW at all !!

DJI did 'brick' batterys in the past ... there are a few bad batterys still produced .... but it is NOT universal anymore and MOST clone batterys DO WORK FINE .....

Nigel
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

G_MEZ_G Posted at 2016-5-4 17:59
GREAT NEWS! I am happy to report that the DJI Battery that I ordered off of amazon for 99 bucks (Actually 49 because of the 50 dollar gift card for signing up for an Amazon Card) is the real deal, came in today. I charged it half way to check it with no props and also with the simulator. As I understand, the DJI App recognizes any battery that is not DJI products and should not allow it. I am a very happy camper as the diagnostics look awesome, and I have 2 batteries now!!! =)

Congrats on the second battery for your flight kit!!

I remember how happy I was the day I bought my second OEM DJI intelligent flight pack.
But that feeling was not equal to how good it felt purchasing a third and eventually a fourth flight pack.

The more time I can spend at the field, the better... Ha

Enjoy your drone, and the time well spent while on the forum. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

There are thousands of people out there using non-genuine battery's .... no patches or cheats .... just charge and use ....

Simple fact .....

Nigel
2017-8-23
Use props
AlanFitz403
lvl.1
Flight distance : 209738 ft
United States

Interesting thread here. I am in the market to replace all three Intelligent Flight Batteries to Intelligent Flight Batteries PLUS. When I purchased my Mini 4 Pro I got the Fly More package with the 3 sub 249 G batteries. However,  a change of plans have now got my drone registered, I've got the 107 certificate and have no problem with, and as a matter of fact want the RID turned on. I fly under 107 and keep VLOS at all times.

Worth noting - I saw a review on YouTube of an influencer was evaluating an aftermarket DJI style battery for the Mini 4 Pro and the flight times were within a minute duration in his non-scientifc evaluation. So many factors subtilty have an impact on battery duration. He was able to use the aftermarket batteries in a M4P and saw no evidence of DJI app not permitting the use of a non-OEM battery.

We all need to be watching the aftermarket products but I'm of the stance that I'll continue to use official DJI batteries. It's just not worth the risk for a couple dollars.
3-12 06:21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules