1384 12 2017-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
garyphayes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27840676 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sorry to say I am now afraid to fly my Mavic with the latest firmware. Watch the video and help with ideas why?

Several times since I updated it to firmware .800 it has lost GPS connection and gone into ATTI mode, even out over complete wilderness areas.
I have flown the Mavic since January and it hasn't lost a beat. Rock solid, does exactly what I tell it and flown dozens of long flights and made 30+ films (on my YouTube channel)

Luckily I was recording a shot yesterday and it exhibited this for no apparent reason - at approx 2.35 in the YT video after I turn the top bend, you can see me totally in sight of the Mavic at 35m (I am on the rocks 800m straight ahead) , 16 satellites lock on a clear day and then... for no apparent reason my remote says 'entering ATTI mode' and it as expected becomes unstable and even though I have motor control, it can drift anywhere. I often fly closer to trees and rocks for cinematic effect, and if this happened then, goodbye Mavic and no doubt it would have been my fault.

So why 15 seconds did it do this. A magnetic interference warning popped up, also a NFZ  soft warning (pay attention if RTH kicks in)?

Does this mean if you fly and get close to an NFZ it will drop GPS ?!

Also a side note, the gimbal was notably losing it horizon wise, even though I had calibrated that and IMU, GPS and sensors, recently, even the slightest turn and the horizon goes off - almost as if it is in wing mode?! Which it wasnt btw.

Just had a Phantom 4 exhibit similar unlock and drift behaviour, that resulted in it driting sideways into a tree, combined with a remote stick lock - but I am getting very nervous about flying these drones if they are randomly going into 'drift' manual mode... thoughts?

2017-6-14
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Just downgrade it.
2017-6-14
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

And if you still have control of the aircraft, if you lose gps, fly directly up so you don't drift into anything. Hopefully the gps will lock back in soon enough.
2017-6-14
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Sime Posted at 2017-6-14 16:51
And if you still have control of the aircraft, if you lose gps, fly directly up so you don't drift into anything. Hopefully the gps will lock back in soon enough.

Yes indeed. I knew I was in a safe place, and just waited and waited. 15 seconds is a long time, I was already thinking about the fun of landing it in ATTI mode! But this is more about what if that happens lower down and you cannot fly up, and it then depends on your skill of line of sight flying? If this is common with thousands of Dji drones, there are going to be a lot of crashes?
2017-6-14
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

But what about the Dji thing about we must upgrade because of the NFZ rules?
2017-6-14
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3878802 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I am having all of the same issues. First flights in April it was solid - now it will not keep horizon, drifting, not flying straight despite re calibrating everything. I randomly lose GPS now but it comes back in about 5-10 seconds.
2017-7-4
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

tyler947 Posted at 2017-7-4 12:05
I am having all of the same issues. First flights in April it was solid - now it will not keep horizon, drifting, not flying straight despite re calibrating everything. I randomly lose GPS now but it comes back in about 5-10 seconds.

If things were predictable I would be OK and could manage it, but it just seems so random and especially on commercial work it creates a lot of stress
2017-7-5
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

garyphayes Posted at 2017-7-5 00:16
If things were predictable I would be OK and could manage it, but it just seems so random and especially on commercial work it creates a lot of stress

15 seconds. Wow. I've lost my P3S for 6-7 mins when it flew out of range and lost signal using a parabolic. My heart dropped several beats during this. It told me it was RTH so I waited and waited and there it came. Gotta love DJI for that. Just make sure RTH height is enough. Mine is always 122m 400 feet and I set home point in a wide open space.

You don't need to freak out. You mention NFZ which could have played a part in this. Yes it could have got confused and also rock formations could have blocked signal momentarily. If you not looking directly at it VLOS then things like this could happen.

I think they will get better over time but we have an amazing drone which are not perfect but pretty close.
2017-7-5
Use props
Smokewagon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 348140 ft
Canada

Dont worry DJI  is going to slowly water us down with restrictions and peel away distances and radio signal until we all just give up.

2017-7-5
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same thing happened to me last night, I was up about 100ft and 500ft away when it suddenly lost gps.  What got me I have several times after the latest upgrade and this is the first time it happened.  
2017-7-5
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Maxxpsoft Posted at 2017-7-5 03:05
15 seconds. Wow. I've lost my P3S for 6-7 mins when it flew out of range and lost signal using a parabolic. My heart dropped several beats during this. It told me it was RTH so I waited and waited and there it came. Gotta love DJI for that. Just make sure RTH height is enough. Mine is always 122m 400 feet and I set home point in a wide open space.

You don't need to freak out. You mention NFZ which could have played a part in this. Yes it could have got confused and also rock formations could have blocked signal momentarily. If you not looking directly at it VLOS then things like this could happen.

Was in line of sight - and this is not lost signal (I have had a few of those but it retains GPS) this is ATTI mode, the bird just drifts in the wind if you don't control it, randomly. Could have been lower and in the trees and a dead bird...
2017-7-5
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-7-5 04:41
Same thing happened to me last night, I was up about 100ft and 500ft away when it suddenly lost gps.  What got me I have several times after the latest upgrade and this is the first time it happened.

That's exactly it - we lose trust quickly if things happen randomly and for the first time - 6 months of trouble free flying with this Mavic and then...
2017-7-5
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

garyphayes Posted at 2017-7-5 15:01
That's exactly it - we lose trust quickly if things happen randomly and for the first time - 6 months of trouble free flying with this Mavic and then...

I think mine has something to do with the NFZ specially with all the plane being diverted due to fire works.
2017-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules