Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Osmo Mobile vs Flowmotion One
23553 7 2017-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
calmplex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20922 ft
  • >>>
United States

just curious to hear from other OM owners... and possible DJI devs who work on optimizing the app and firmware...

while i was randomly googling to see if anyone has been able to eliminate or hide the microshakes/jitters with the OM i found this company flowmotion...

this company claims that the Flowmotion One has been fine tuned both app and hardware to minimize OIS effects (microshakes/jitters) and from the small sampling of video they have on their social media and youtube... the claim seems believable and they are using an iPhone 7+ in their vids.

below are just a few snipps from their kickstarter and website. there’s a few videos from their youtube where they show examples of people running with the subject and it looks nothing like what I've become accustomed to with the OM. I'm hoping as the product nears launch we start to see some more videos and comparisons...

just wanted to hear anyone’s thoughts to see if this is possible and if maybe... hopefully DJI can do some fine tuning as well for us.

@Vincent - Thanks! Throughout development we've used it more and more, but it's not until recently we've really started to understand how awesome the product actually is. The whole video was shot with equipment that literarily fit's in your pocket. Super practical when you're on the go.

@Daniel - great question. OIS is absolutely a challenge as it makes the camera very sensitive to movement, but this has been a central focus throughout development and it's working really good.

Our latest update (that Vincent commented on below) is shot 100% with an iPhone 7, that has very a very advanced OIS:

For extreme movement, the OIS still affects the video to some extent, but we're working on eliminating it completely. OIS seems to be here to stay with new smartphones, and there shouldn't be a difference if you use a phone with or without it.

Does it work with the built-in stabilization in new smartphones?

Yes, we've carefully optimized both soft- and hardware to make the stabilizer respond fast enough to not trigger the Optical Image Stabilization (OIS). If you have a phone with EIS, such as the Google Pixel, we recommend turning this off when you use the stabilizer.

2017-6-16
Use props
Hansolo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 390 ft
United Kingdom

This sounds like the only solution for mobile gimbals. Since gimbal developers can't turn off OIS then managing it is the only thing they can do. Flowmotion seem to do this and DJI haven't released any press about the plus iPhones.
2017-6-28
Use props
calmplex
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hansolo Posted at 2017-6-28 03:40
This sounds like the only solution for mobile gimbals. Since gimbal developers can't turn off OIS then managing it is the only thing they can do. Flowmotion seem to do this and DJI haven't released any press about the plus iPhones.

hopefully it's something that can really be addressed by fine tuning the software. I guess we will see once flowmotion one is released and comparisons start showing up. hopefully it does what it claims well enough for DJI to at least try a few tweaks of their own.
2017-7-4
Use props
fans33634a5b
New
Germany

Filmic pro can turn off OIS
2017-7-11
Use props
alphacrust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33566 ft
United Kingdom

Unfortunately OIS can't be turned off on the iPhone as it's hardware based.  The internal part of the camera lens floats allowing it to eliminate some of the bounces caused by movement.  The only real option at the moment on the iPhone 7 plus is to look at utalising the telephoto lens on the back of camera that doesn't have OIS built in but will mean you're zoomed in prior to framing your shot.
2017-7-11
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

I don't see how they can say that their servo will be so fast as not to trigger the OIS servo. It's hard to believe. In the first place, there maybe wide variety of OIS implementations, some faster, some slower, depending on the design of the lens, lens weight, FOV, etc. Since both this gimbal as well as the OIS are servos, they both respond to and correct an input error, with some latency, so some small error will always remain. I don't see how they can claim that they will be so fast and keep the error so small, that an OIS that they don't know and have no control over will not respond, try to correct it as well, creating instability. In general, I would think that the OIS will be faster, because it only needs to move a very light lens element, where the gimbal has to move the whole telephone.
The only thing that I know of, that will not create this condition is a device such as the Steadicam Volt, which is an inertial stabilizer, and is not dependent on servo loops and software, there is no latency and no race condition between the two servo loops. The electronics they use just makes the initial setup-balancing easier and adds more inertia (like a flywheel) so that the operation is easier, which is a problem with inertial stabilizers, especially with light rigs.
2017-7-19
Use props
calmplex
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

ComPH Posted at 2017-7-19 00:54
I don't see how they can say that their servo will be so fast as not to trigger the OIS servo. It's hard to believe. In the first place, there maybe wide variety of OIS implementations, some faster, some slower, depending on the design of the lens, lens weight, FOV, etc. Since both this gimbal as well as the OIS are servos, they both respond to and correct an input error, with some latency, so some small error will always remain. I don't see how they can claim that they will be so fast and keep the error so small, that an OIS that they don't know and have no control over will not respond, try to correct it as well, creating instability. In general, I would think that the OIS will be faster, because it only needs to move a very light lens element, where the gimbal has to move the whole telephone.
The only thing that I know of, that will not create this condition is a device such as the Steadicam Volt, which is an inertial stabilizer, and is not dependent on servo loops and software, there is no latency and no race condition between the two servo loops. The electronics they use just makes the initial setup-balancing easier and adds more inertia (like a flywheel) so that the operation is easier, which is a problem with inertial stabilizers, especially with light rigs.

I'll be curious to see some side by side comparisons... hopefully soon of all 3. we already know DJI failed miserably vs OIS... based on the videos i've seen from Flowmotion One I'm hoping they can achieve what they claim... This is the first I've heard of the Stedicam Volt... looked up one video they had on their KickStarter and it seems during one clip there was some stutter... but hopefully we can see some side by sides soon... or even better... maybe DJI figures something out that makes the issue less of a problem.
2017-7-19
Use props
djiuser_GLkOZeWJsWWq
New

Belgium

Anyone know if Flowmotion One works with an Android P20 Pro? And is the Osmo Mobile 2 fully compatible with the P20 Pro, itself and the app?
Thanks
2019-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules