12Next >
10815 41 2017-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb4f3b124
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi All,
Just got the Spark, and have been trying out the various modes. On review of some of the still pictures, when I have captured a photo using the 'gesture control selfie' the image is lower resolution than a still image manually captured through the Go 4 App in 'Normal flight mode'.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Cheers
2017-6-16
Use props
Bluewedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5174 ft
United States

I am seeing 2 different resolutions also. Resolutions are 1440x1080 and 3968x2976. I have seen the higher res using gesture when using the remote. I have seen the lower res when using the remote. Haven't had enough time with it to figure out what causes the low res.  
2017-6-16
Use props
Marauderz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Malaysia

I just started testing gesture selfies after the most recent firmware update allowed us to take selfies without follow mode on.

I think the theory that gesture mode photos are just 1080P is quite possible. It's just a frame capture from the images used for gesture detection. That's the most likely reason why we can't take videos in gesture mode, because the stream is already utilized for something else. Since it's just a software issue. ie. turn off gesture detection buffer and switch to full res buffer when taking pictures.. hopefully DJI will fix this, since this is probably the most interesting feature as a selfie drone..
2017-6-16
Use props
fansb4f3b124
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Marauderz Posted at 2017-6-16 19:42
I just started testing gesture selfies after the most recent firmware update allowed us to take selfies without follow mode on.

I think the theory that gesture mode photos are just 1080P is quite possible. It's just a frame capture from the images used for gesture detection. That's the most likely reason why we can't take videos in gesture mode, because the stream is already utilized for something else. Since it's just a software issue. ie. turn off gesture detection buffer and switch to full res buffer when taking pictures.. hopefully DJI will fix this, since this is probably the most interesting feature as a selfie drone..

Hopefully a software issue that can be remedied as not to achieve a stated 12 MP quality image, in gesture mode, is disappointing given the user interaction without the phone app or remote was a key selling point of this device.

Would be nice to hear if DJI recognise this issue that we are outlining.
2017-6-16
Use props
douchstin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57838 ft
United States

Why is the resolution so low for gesture control.  The full point of the drone was to be able to operate without a controller to get quick pictures.  Will this be updated?  I love the drone but the low resolution pictures in gesture mode is terrible and defeats the purpose.  There was a DJI rep in another section of the forum that confirmed the lower resolution.  If they do not update soon the drone is going back to amazon, what a terrible oversight from what I thought was a good company.
2017-6-19
Use props
fansb4f3b124
lvl.1
United Kingdom

douchstin Posted at 2017-6-19 08:40
Why is the resolution so low for gesture control.  The full point of the drone was to be able to operate without a controller to get quick pictures.  Will this be updated?  I love the drone but the low resolution pictures in gesture mode is terrible and defeats the purpose.  There was a DJI rep in another section of the forum that confirmed the lower resolution.  If they do not update soon the drone is going back to amazon, what a terrible oversight from what I thought was a good company.

Understand your concerns. DJI are a great company.

But on this occasion it appears, from the multitude of issues that 'early adopter' owners such as ourselves are reporting, we are doing more beta testing work for DJI than we bargained for.

I am confident they will be able provide fixes in time- as there are always teething problems with tech this good. Have Faith!
2017-6-19
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

fansb4f3b124 Posted at 2017-6-19 09:05
Understand your concerns. DJI are a great company.

But on this occasion it appears, from the multitude of issues that 'early adopter' owners such as ourselves are reporting, we are doing more beta testing work for DJI than we bargained for.

i assume this is normal for brand new models to have issues like this, since you have been flying DJI products for a while would you happen to know how long it usually takes to work the bugs out?
2017-6-19
Use props
fans429241bd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16424 ft
United States

Thor1 Posted at 2017-6-19 10:15
i assume this is normal for brand new models to have issues like this, since you have been flying DJI products for a while would you happen to know how long it usually takes to work the bugs out?

Yeah, I just took a selfie and it is 1440x1080. 12 MP should be 4200x2800. That is less than 2 megapixel. Why would that be the default for selfies?
2017-6-19
Use props
douchstin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57838 ft
United States

fans429241bd Posted at 2017-6-19 13:05
Yeah, I just took a selfie and it is 1440x1080. 12 MP should be 4200x2800. That is less than 2 megapixel. Why would that be the default for selfies?

I have the same resolution and the pictures look like garbage from that mode.  I really need to know if they plan on fixing it so I can return it if not.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans8138b099
New
United Kingdom

Just found this thread after trying to workout why the photos I took yesterday looked so bad (turns out they were taken using the low resolution). I took them using the app but I very possibly hand launched the Spark, which I guess puts it in "selfie mode".

Today I did a proper launch from the floor and sure enough the photos came out at full resolution.

It is a complete joke if this is the intended behaviour given how big a selling point the gesture control is - the resolution is appalling.
2017-6-20
Use props
iJeff1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 366148 ft
Singapore

fans8138b099 Posted at 2017-6-20 07:40
Just found this thread after trying to workout why the photos I took yesterday looked so bad (turns out they were taken using the low resolution). I took them using the app but I very possibly hand launched the Spark, which I guess puts it in "selfie mode".

Today I did a proper launch from the floor and sure enough the photos came out at full resolution.

2MP is my 1st generation iPhone 10 years ago!  The Selfie in Gesture Mode is just a marketing gimmick!
2017-7-1
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

Are the photos always low res if you palm launch. I understood that if you changed the mode in the app after launch it would take 12mp pic? If this is wrong I may reconsider my order!
2017-7-1
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Nixtoo Posted at 2017-7-1 23:46
Are the photos always low res if you palm launch. I understood that if you changed the mode in the app after launch it would take 12mp pic? If this is wrong I may reconsider my order!

If you are in Gesture mode (doesn't matter if you palmlaunch) and use a gesture to take a photo, it comes out as 2 MP. If you switch out of Gesture mode to Normal mode and take a photo by pressing the shutter button on the app, it saves as a 12MP image.
2017-7-2
Use props
fanse9740d9d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35233 ft
United Kingdom

I'm returning my spark because of this. I did offer to keep the spark if DJI could confirm it would be fixed in SW but they just asked me to send serial number and order details. Shame
2017-7-3
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

PEOPLE ! i feel bad about this too but you information are misleading , IF YOU don't have your phone connected to your spark the SELFIE will be 2MP.
IF YOU connect the DJI GO app to your spark and than do palm launch and do selfie you will get 2MP selfie on YOUR phone and 12MP SELFIE on your MicroSD
Overall i know , if you don't have phone on you and can't connect to spark you will have garbage photos , but don't say that all selfies are 2MP.
2017-7-3
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-3 22:44
PEOPLE ! i feel bad about this too but you information are misleading , IF YOU don't have your phone connected to your spark the SELFIE will be 2MP.
IF YOU connect the DJI GO app to your spark and than do palm launch and do selfie you will get 2MP selfie on YOUR phone and 12MP SELFIE on your MicroSD
Overall i know , if you don't have phone on you and can't connect to spark you will have garbage photos , but don't say that all selfies are 2MP.

I tested this and the photos on my SD are 2mp as well as on my phone.
2017-7-3
Use props
0dayDJIproblem
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-3
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-7-3 23:03
I tested this and the photos on my SD are 2mp as well as on my phone.

Did you had your phone connected to sopark before the palm launch ?
2017-7-4
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tried palm launch without phone or controller connected. 2mp
Palm launch with controller and phone connected. 2mp
palm launch with phone connected. 2mp
The only thing I haven't tried yet that I just thought of is manual takeoff from the ground and switch to gesture in the air via the phone. Each launch has been a face recognition palm launch.
2017-7-4
Use props
fanse9740d9d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

It would be nice to get a definitive answer from DJI. As I said above, they are just processing an RMA for me. That suggests it's a broken feature that may not be quickly fixed?
2017-7-4
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just tried manual takeoff, gesture control still produces 2mp images on the card and phone. Normal mode 12mp. Szwedu, I cannot replicate what you are doing to get full resolution selfies.
2017-7-4
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

I will make a short video on this just to show . I will post it here Malakai_UK
2017-7-4
Use props
Klunzingermarc
lvl.1
Germany

Haven't found your video Szwedu, do you have a link?
2017-7-5
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

I know, I will make it just hold on
2017-7-5
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-4 13:21
I will make a short video on this just to show . I will post it here Malakai_UK

Excellent, I hope I can replicate whatever you are doing
2017-7-5
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

I made it quick, next time I will do a full review of gesture mode and it's resolution dependent on the connection with the phone and app

2017-7-6
Use props
QHovey
lvl.2
United States

I just so happened to take some palm launch gesture pics today. Phone was not connected. The preview of the photos was 2MP, the download is 12MP.
2017-7-6
Use props
fanse9740d9d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Szwedu for the video. I'll have to try this again. I definitely had 2MP images stored on the SDcard. How would they occur?
2017-7-7
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

fanse9740d9d Posted at 2017-7-7 00:16
Thanks Szwedu for the video. I'll have to try this again. I definitely had 2MP images stored on the SDcard. How would they occur?

For that to happen i see only  one way . There was no connection Spark-DJI GO4.
I Don't know why it needs to be connected to save full res on the SD but apparently that's how now it is .
2017-7-7
Use props
Beetee1
New
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-7 03:22
For that to happen i see only  one way . There was no connection Spark-DJI GO4.
I Don't know why it needs to be connected to save full res on the SD but apparently that's how now it is .

Szwedu, thanks for the video. I replicated what you did on the video but I still get 2MP resolution in the SD card. Only difference is I am using iphone instead of Android. What version firmware are you on?
2017-7-8
Use props
Beetee1
New
United States

Beetee1 Posted at 2017-7-8 12:22
Szwedu, thanks for the video. I replicated what you did on the video but I still get 2MP resolution in the SD card. Only difference is I am using iphone instead of Android. What version firmware are you on?

To answer my own question, I have successfully replicated Szwedu's trick using an Android phone. Looks like this trick does not work with iOS, you will get 2MP whether you are connected to the phone or not.
2017-7-8
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-3 22:44

So, what you're saying is, if I power up the Spark, do a Palmlaunch, use gesture to take a selfie, and then land, the image will be a 12MP and not a 2 MP image?
2017-7-9
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Beetee1 Posted at 2017-7-8 13:29
To answer my own question, I have successfully replicated Szwedu's trick using an Android phone. Looks like this trick does not work with iOS, you will get 2MP whether you are connected to the phone or not.

Ah. I'll have to try this with my Samsung later this evening and see if I can get a 12MP out of it!
2017-7-9
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-9 03:42
So, what you're saying is, if I power up the Spark, do a Palmlaunch, use gesture to take a selfie, and then land, the image will be a 12MP and not a 2 MP image?

yes if you add one thing, FIRST Connect to the app.
2017-7-10
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-10 13:46
yes if you add one thing, FIRST Connect to the app.

So,

1. power up the Spark
2. connect to DJI Go 4
3. Palmlaunch
4. use gesture to take a selfie
5. land

And viola, 12MP selfies?
2017-7-11
Use props
DroneHack99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64167 ft
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-6 12:41
I made it quick, next time I will do a full review of gesture mode and it's resolution dependent on the connection with the phone and app https://youtu.be/XWi2wiiu5Rw

Thanks for sharing!
2017-7-11
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-11 03:57
So,

1. power up the Spark

Yes mate
2017-7-13
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Just tried it

Powered up
Connected to DJI Go 4
PalmLaunch
gesture selfie
(used DJI Go shutter button to take one extra photo as a control)
PalmLand
transfer files

All files are 1440 x 1080. Checked SD card, same thing. iPhone 6 Plus

Did the same thing with my Samsung S8+ - 12 MP photos!

IT WORKS

2017-7-13
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

there is much to work on for DJI, the difference between device's are overwhelming .
I did play with the DJI app and menage to get a quick shot exported in full HD !! But to acoplish this i did have the spark a week or two and play with it so it's far from EASY.Don't have the time now to make a tutorial but will show some screenshots from my device
After taking quick shot you go to DJI editor , enter the quickshot pres edit on bottom right and than you have a button HD, but you have to be conected to SPARK or have the oryginal video unedited download to your device from the spark.

Screenshot_20170714-163359.png
Screenshot_20170714-163316.jpg
Screenshot_20170714-163326.jpg
2017-7-14
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

Strange. I just tried this whole connected to my rc remote and Samsung tablet. 2mp selfie off of the card. This HAS to be a setting somewhere...
2017-9-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules