Spark Battery won't charge
68989 33 2017-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7210d65b
New
United States

Got the Spark today.  Charged the battery once.  Flew for a bit, then put it on the charger.  Only one green LED (on the battery) is flashing, the rest stay dark.  It's been there for an hour with no progress.  The unit feels hot.

I have the Phantom 4 and figured this would be straightforward.  Anyone having an issue with the Spark battery charging?  Anyone know how to fix it?

Pete
2017-6-16
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

With the spark battery you need to let it cool down then it will charge after 20 mins or so
2017-6-16
Use props
pete lozzi
New
United States

But it's been on the charger for an hour.  Wouldn't it have cooled down in that time?
2017-6-16
Use props
pete lozzi
New
United States

No you were right.  Take it off the charger, let it cool, then back on and works fine now.  Thanks!
2017-6-16
Use props
fans146c4de3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14186 ft
Canada

you have to let it cool away from the charger.
2017-6-16
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

pete lozzi Posted at 2017-6-16 16:04
No you were right.  Take it off the charger, let it cool, then back on and works fine now.  Thanks!

Don't feel bad I did the same thing when I received mine
2017-6-16
Use props
704aerials
lvl.1
United States

aviscomi Posted at 2017-6-16 16:28
Don't feel bad I did the same thing when I received mine

Same here. Patience is a virtue...I don't have. Having one battery is crippling. If I can provide any advice to people thinking of purchasing, I would say buy several batteries and the charging station. You will love flying this little guy.
2017-6-16
Use props
Marauderz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Malaysia

The interesting thing is that the manual seems to give the idea that once the battery cools off it'll start charging again, it doesn't mention that if you receive the temperature warning when charging, that you need to unplug the charger and then plug it in again to restart the process.. yes.. I too fell for this gotcha..
2017-6-16
Use props
fansd2f4bd79
New
United States

If only I had the same luck as you... I am stuck with a battery that won't charge, and it is going to take 2 to 3 weeks to get replaced...

Pre ordering did nothing for me, and now I'm basically going to get a working drone in 2 to 3 weeks.

It charged twice and now won't charge at all, is QC that bad?
2017-6-22
Use props
fansaf12af9b
New
Brazil

fansd2f4bd79 Posted at 2017-6-22 08:14
If only I had the same luck as you... I am stuck with a battery that won't charge, and it is going to take 2 to 3 weeks to get replaced...

Pre ordering did nothing for me, and now I'm basically going to get a working drone in 2 to 3 weeks.

What happened exactly? i just got my little Spark and the battery just blink until the second green led, then everything goes dark as if is fully charged, but when it is turned on, the max charge is 35%(two green light on), i can fly for 4 minutes and then when i will charge it again the same problem is occurring.
2017-6-25
Use props
fansaf12af9b
New
Brazil

What happened exactly? i just got my little Spark and the battery just blink until the second green led, then everything goes dark as if is fully charged, but when it is turned on, the max charge is 35%(two green light on), i can fly for 4 minutes and then when i will charge it again the same problem is occurring.
2017-6-25
Use props
fansaf12af9b
New
Brazil

fansd2f4bd79 Posted at 2017-6-22 08:14

2017-6-25
Use props
René Madsen
New
Flight distance : 9990 ft
Sweden

Same her. I bought mine in the USA and when I got home I charged it once! Now it is stock with 2 green bars! My brother had the same problem with his! But he solved the problem with a USA  adapter 110 to 220. And now his is charging! I will buy a adapter tomorrow!
2017-7-12
Use props
fanse6db2d6e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 685528 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

I received DJI Spark today, but there is a problem with the battery because it does not charge. No led lights up after connecting the USB cable to the charger. It has been on for more than 1 hour and nothing goes on.
see:

2017-7-12
Use props
fans8e2558a3
New
Australia

fanse6db2d6e Posted at 2017-7-12 14:22
I received DJI Spark today, but there is a problem with the battery because it does not charge. No led lights up after connecting the USB cable to the charger. It has been on for more than 1 hour and nothing goes on.
see:
https://youtu.be/04j3BwLjXpw

I had the same problem, but after  switching the Spark on and off it started charging.
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

So finicky
2017-7-14
Use props
fanse6db2d6e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 685528 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Problem solved!
The problem was caused by poor contact, by oxidation of the metal structure. Into the micro-USB jack on the DJI Spark.
2017-7-28
Use props
fans6a962869
New
United States

Guys same thing happened with me.

The solution: Just let it cool off for couple minutes while the charging cable is unplugged form the drone. When its "cooled" enough, means when you touch the battery it doesn't feel warm or the body of the drone isn't warm, plug the charging cable. Done.

Thank you.

2017-8-2
Use props
Sachas
New
Italy

Hi, i'had buy a spark yesterday but when today I put the USB charge in the battery he don't won't working
I don't now why! There's only a small red light near the camera! Somebody can help me?
2017-8-11
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sachas Posted at 2017-8-11 06:19
Hi, i'had buy a spark yesterday but when today I put the USB charge in the battery he don't won't working
I don't now why! There's only a small red light near the camera! Somebody can help me?

Press the battery button, how many green lights ? it might already be fully charged.
If it is already  fully charged it will show no lights when put on the charger
2017-8-12
Use props
jerryat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6762 ft
Australia

I have the fly more combo and can't get one of the batteries to charge.  I have had the drone for about 3 weeks.  I noticed initially that the batteries might sit in the charger for a few minutes before starting to blink (even if they had a reasonable amount of charge in them).  Last weekend I fully charged the batteries but it was way too windy to go out.  This weekend is looking better so this morning I tried to top up the charge in the batteries (they seem to have lost quite a bit of charge for being idle for a week) but one battery won't charge at all.  I started from cold (they haven't been used for over a week) so it is not like they needed to cool down.  If I check the charge in the battery it has two lights on an one blinking but it won't charge at all in the charger.  Anyone else have problems like this?
2017-8-19
Use props
jerryat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6762 ft
Australia

UPDATE: Just an update on my previous post - since the battery had some residual charge I put it in the drone and started it up for a minute or so then put it back in the charger and it started charging.
2017-8-19
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226066 ft
Portugal

Hy there. Yesterday i was trying to charging the battery directly with usb car charger in the car. Inicialy the spark start blinking firt led and the second one meaning it was charging. However after a few seconds it seems that rebot the charging process and just blink the first led and then start again blinking the first and the second. That means my car charger does get enought power to charge spark?
2017-8-20
Use props
Unkeiqo
New
United States

Still waiting for my battery to charge above 50 percent just got it today and it has been used but won't go above 50 percent and I need that for the update.
2017-8-25
Use props
Pablosqui
lvl.1
Spain

fanse6db2d6e Posted at 2017-7-28 11:00
Problem solved!
The problem was caused by poor contact, by oxidation of the metal structure. Into the micro-USB jack on the DJI Spark.

Hi!
Have the same problem. How did you fix it??
Thanks
2017-9-25
Use props
djiuser_sdD7C6u
New
Flight distance : 312 ft
Singapore

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-16 15:57
With the spark battery you need to let it cool down then it will charge after 20 mins or so

I have waited for a few days already, the battery isnt warm it is at room temperature. When i put the battery in the charging hub it seems to go green for 5-10 mins then will turn red and will show no sign of life when i press the battery.
2017-12-2
Use props
fans5a68c55c
New
United States

The last light will blink like that if you are using a cable capable of fast charging. Try switching back to the original cable and power adapter.
2018-1-16
Use props
djiuser_eCzMDPWPWxok
New

I've had the problem with the spark not wanting to charge the battery also I finally turned the spark on Let It power up turned it off plug the charger into it and push the button to one little green light come on and it started charging
2018-9-11
Use props
Erhan Yildirim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 867172 ft
Turkey

had the same problem but Nothing above worked for me. until ... start up spark plug in the charger cable. then power it down with the cable on it. Then it started charging . Nothing else is working for me. sad
2018-10-4
Use props
joeyjenkins12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28609 ft
United States

I just leave mine on the charger and they eventually kick in. Probably a heating/cooling issue.
2018-10-4
Use props
Isaac LaRock_YT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3035 ft
United States

fixed! thx!
2019-6-12
Use props
Ethan Sorensen
lvl.1

United States

fans8e2558a3 Posted at 2017-7-14 01:22
I had the same problem, but after  switching the Spark on and off it started charging.

what do you mean turn it off and on? My battery wont even turn the drone on
2019-6-21
Use props
Av8or1ab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4478 ft

United States

DJI doesn't care about their customers. Attached is my support thread asking for remediation and being told that they won't help.

2020-7-31
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

3-6 months warranty on batteries is acceptable in my opinion, as not everyone cares about these batteries properly in terms of keeping them at the 3.8V/cell storage charge.
Your only gamble would be to take the battery apart, and manually charge each cell to the same voltage (but I don't need to mention the risks with that).
2022-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules