should new pilot switch to naza m right away and add prop gaurds?
2943 30 2015-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

Just curious as a new pilot to be, if it is safer to leave it in phantom mode or would it be better to switch it naza m mode right off the bat?  Im still reading up on this and it seems like naza m mode would be the safest since I could just flip a switch for RTH or homelock if I had an issue? Thoughts? Experiences? I feel like Im being overy cautious and paranoid but I just want to make sure I have all my t's crossed and i's dotted before this thing leaves the ground.
2015-3-14
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

With both the S1 and S2 switches in the top position, your Phantom will always fly likes it's in Phantom mode. The advantage of switching to Naza-M is that you'll have some additional options if you get into trouble -- like using Home Lock to bring your Phantom back if you cannot see it.

Check out the Naza-M references here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#References
2015-3-14
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

Thanks Mike. Also thoughts on prop guards? Pros cons?  I heard they are more likely to cause VRS and cause the phantom to fall out of control on decent?
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Jerdel,
I flew 5 or 10 flights before I enabled NAZA, truth is, I still pretty much fly as if I were in Pahntom mode with S1 and S2 up. That said NAZA-M with IOC enabled is a wonderful thing using HomeLock (S2 in position 3 or all the way down) as ie. I am out in the country so some evenings such as last night I flew way out, well past 2,700' when the display shows Phantom connection broken, I drop S2 into position 3 and regardless of the Phantoms orientation I simply pull back on the right stick, connection re establishes, I flip S2 back up to position 1 and away I go again. And when I don't react quick enough as I did not on another instance last night from a fair ways out, the display shows returning to home, I just Wait till she is back overhead and I can see all my flight data as she is coming back and once overhead I help direct the landing..I love this stuff! There are a few other things you can do as well and I would encourage you to check out some videos and readings..And as for Prop guards, I fly with and without them, mostly with them on until last week, now I only put them on if I plan on maneuvering around trees or if I am flying anywhere around people or animals (just a bit of added safety in case shit happened!) etc. I flew nearly 30 flawless flights at all sorts of altitude and in various conditions and absolutely no issues. I would recommend them initially as they could certainly help save a blade or two and possibly a motor, a finger (eek!)...I will be getting a set of the removeables as it makes them much more accessible in virtually any condition and easier for transporting the Phantom in a standard size case.
2015-3-14
Use props
Albert426
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I switched to Naza straight away. I use the Course lock feature all the time so no matter what way the quad is facing the stick commands for forward, back, left and right are always the same. Fantastic!
2015-3-14
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jerdel,

I switched to Naza-M immediately. I was a bit intimidated at first but as Mr. North suggested it gives you much more control of your craft. I'm still using the prop guards, have some snap-offs on order. I'm sure it has some performance degradation but I'm going to play it safe for a while. I'm still a bit nervous and it provides a little peace of mind should I encounter any obstacles.

Jerry
2015-3-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

dup....licate...
2015-3-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jerdel Posted at 2015-3-14 22:45
Thanks Mike. Also thoughts on prop guards? Pros cons?  I heard they are more likely to cause VRS and ...

I'd say both NAZA and Prop guards are in order - especially on V3.0.

The extra power and lift in 3.0 should make the prop guards less of a performance issue. I've been flying my never V3.0 without prop guards and already had some small accidents while doing ATTI a few feet from the ground in the back yard (testing something).

I'm going to install them today and leave them on.
Also, the new V3.0 is limited in it's descent speed which also helps in terms of doing away with VRS.
2015-3-14
Use props
Albert426
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've never used prop guards, but tend to be real careful.
2015-3-14
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

I am new and I do not use prop guards. Watch your landings. When you hit tree or obstatce in flight - the proprs are the least of your concerns, besides they are relatively inexpensive. There is nothing wrong with NAZA, it offers some unique flight patterns and good backup when operator is disoriented. It has its limitations too. Normal Phantom GPS and Atti modes are sufficient and fun, but you need to start using radar feature. Once you realize how handy radar feature is you would rare switch to NAZA even when disoriented or lost sight of the bird
2015-3-14
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jerdel, prop guards are fine to use. Many people use them. These prop guards have consistent good reviews -- and can be easily removed (unlike the DJI prop guards):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=6NTN4XSNWGF4235P
2015-3-14
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

thanks alot everyone. Gonna get a set of prop guards orders asap.
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Jerdel Posted at 2015-3-14 23:52
thanks alot everyone. Gonna get a set of prop guards orders asap.

Get the snap on ones! This way they are on and off in seconds,
If by chance you do get the permanent guards make sure you use the correct screws for mounting and when you take them off****and this is a biggie***** make sure you put the original smaller screws back in otherwise you will bind the motors and be one unhappy guy as there was a fellow on here the other day who is now in hiding as he did just that....he could not figure why when he turned his Phantom on and powered up all four motors started smoking...Ouch and Stinky...
2015-3-14
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

yes -  went to Naza right away.  Learn ATTI, Failsafe etc....  all good there.  S1/S2 in up is Phantom as stated earlier   Now to figure out CL/HL of S2 is goal tomorrow.   Have flown 3 GS flights also.   

Prop guards - yes,  get the removable type  you don't want to bind a motor and fry an ESC on the first take offs or landings   Check out this link for sources...  http://www.phantomhelp.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=6NTN4XSNWGF4235P

2015-3-14
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

This work ok? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Orang ... hash=item3aa3748af9
  BTW what size propellers come on the phantom 2 vision plus v3?   I see some guards say for 10 inch some 9 inch and so on....
2015-3-14
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

Jerdel,   previously I has a non DJI prop guards...   Total crap...    So I use DJI prop guards and then...

I bought these quick on/ off pcs from Helidirect (great customer service as one puck pin was broken and they sent a new set)   http://www.helidirect.com/aerial ... -release-mount.html

best of DJI product and innovation, with matching color for front/ back

Re:  9450 V3 props, the dimensions are 9 1/2" tip to tip.   The Phantom 2 non vision and non Vision+ props are 9" and many aftermarket vendors designed these smaller guards and they wont work on V, V+ etc.   You really have to look for the details.   From the Amazon site some vendors state not for V or V+....   ebay its buyer beware  send a Question first

2015-3-14
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

Thanks MAD In NC. hellidirect packs offer safety and convenience I was looking for. In some situation guards are a must, nothing to do with operator skills.
2015-3-14
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

As a newbie, prop guards provided the insurance I needed.  Flew into the garage door once when a strong wind took it.  Started in NAZA mode and practiced with Home lock and Fail safe may times.  Make sure you are prepared if something happens.  Practice emergencies and be prepared.  If not, you can go the wrong direction and be in big trouble. Waiting for removable prop guards so that I can travel easier.  
2015-3-14
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

trrdesign@cox.n Posted at 2015-3-15 08:38
As a newbie, prop guards provided the insurance I needed.  Flew into the garage door once when a str ...

Home lock won't work until you are about 30 feet away from your takeoff point,
2015-3-14
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

Having never flown anything aerial I still use prop guards (haven't ordered snap on yet) but moved to Naza mode after 3 flights.  I didn't like the idea of failsafe mode being an uncontrollable option.
2015-3-14
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

busclas Posted at 2015-3-15 08:53
Having never flown anything aerial I still use prop guards (haven't ordered snap on yet) but moved t ...

Once it starts to come back and within range, you can toggle the s1 switch down and back up and regain control.
2015-3-14
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes.
no.
need more?
2015-3-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The props themselves may be the least of your concern, but then they hit some vegetation or the ground - even while landing slowly - it can put a LOT of G forces on the machine and flip it, etc - which does not make the gimbal and camera happy.

If I installed wider landing skids I might consider keeping them off. But as it stands I'm keeping the odds more in my favor. They are like seat belts - you don't need them until you need them.
2015-3-14
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I don't use prop guards, but I do use a Switchblade.  I weighed the options...lose a propeller or two when it tips (and worse) or prop guards.  Then I read a bit more and decided on the switchblade.  Works great and I can still use my case and no 'prop wash' issues.  I live in the mountains so terrain is not always optimal where I want to fly.

NAZA Mode - Highly recommended!  Read the manuals and learn how the different modes of flying work and your options are greatly expanded.  Both for enjoyment and recovery.
2015-3-14
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

I use the prop guards, but I wish I had the easy to remove kind.  Pros for prop guards are obvious.  I did get too close to a telephone pole while trying to fly out of my back yard.  Barely bumped it.  Had I not had prop guards it would have damaged props, motors and even escs.  Main disadvantage to me is they get in the video if you have the camera pointed all the way up and you pitch forward to go forward of if there is wind.
Naza mode is nothing hard and as others have posted, gives you better control if you need it.  Check out home lock and failsafe mode.  There are videos on how to set it up in Naza Mode.
2015-3-14
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Phantom or NAZA-M mode for first flight is your choice. First flight it is unlikely you will use any of the NAZA features. Just make sure both switches are at the top before your first take off if you are in NAZA mode. And when you take off give it full throttle, that will help prevent tip overs. It gets it off the ground where it can stabilize.
2015-3-14
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-3-14
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Axeman Posted at 2015-3-15 12:49
I won't offer advice on naza because ur own pucker factor will let you know when you are ready to tr ...

I strongly recommend the Summit link guards especially the red and white ones. It makes the Phantom look bigger and the colors help with orientation.
2015-3-14
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

Gonna grab the snap on guards and load up naza m right off the bat.  Thanks for all the help
2015-3-15
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Jerdel Posted at 2015-3-15 21:15
Gonna grab the snap on guards and load up naza m right off the bat.  Thanks for all the help

Jerdel
Good call, when is that egg going to hatch? I am looking forward to cigar!
2015-3-15
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

3 more days and counting....Will probably have its first flight 2 days after that. After all, I do need to rewatch and re read everything again and then some lol.
2015-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules