app for P3 Advanced
1775 19 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

I have had a P3S for quite awhile and I just bought a P3 Advanced.

My only question is what app is for the Advanced model? Is it different than the app for the P3S or is it the same app?

I keep hearing about Lightbridge, what is it and what is it for?

Sorry to sound stupid, but this one has me confused.

Thanks in advance!
2017-6-17
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

It's the same DJI Go app.  When you start it you can swipe on the picture of the aircraft that first appears and select the Advanced.  99% of everything will be familiar.

Lightbridge is the radio control technology used in the advanced and pro models.  On the standard, wifi is used, which is susceptible to interference in built up areas, and has short range.  Lightbridge uses a different frequency which isn't competing for attention with every other consumer device, and is a lot more robust.  Aside from connecting your tablet/phone with a cable instead of wirelessly, you shouldn't notice much difference operationally, except for the reliability and increase in range into the miles.  Read the new manual thoroughly and you will pick up the differences and advantages.  The other feature of the adv/pro that the standard doesn't have is the VPS sensor, essentially an ultrasonic positioning sensor that helps with maintaining a constant altitude indoors or at low altitudes.
2017-6-17
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-6-17 05:02
It's the same DJI Go app.  When you start it you can swipe on the picture of the aircraft that first appears and select the Advanced.  99% of everything will be familiar.

Lightbridge is the radio control technology used in the advanced and pro models.  On the standard, wifi is used, which is susceptible to interference in built up areas, and has short range.  Lightbridge uses a different frequency which isn't competing for attention with every other consumer device, and is a lot more robust.  Aside from connecting your tablet/phone with a cable instead of wirelessly, you shouldn't notice much difference operationally, except for the reliability and increase in range into the miles.  Read the new manual thoroughly and you will pick up the differences and advantages.  The other feature of the adv/pro that the standard doesn't have is the VPS sensor, essentially an ultrasonic positioning sensor that helps with maintaining a constant altitude indoors or at low altitudes.

Thank you Endo, an intelligent, concise explanation!  Exactly what I needed to end my confusion.

I have been kind of frustrated with my P3S because, even though I added the ARGtech antenna system, I still only get out to about 2000 feet before the connection is lost and it's the old Return To Home again.
Man, even getting out to 1/2 or 3/4 of a mile would be sweet.

Once again, thank you. It is much appreciated!  Ray
2017-6-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-17 12:40
Thank you Endo, an intelligent, concise explanation!  Exactly what I needed to end my confusion.

I have been kind of frustrated with my P3S because, even though I added the ARGtech antenna system, I still only get out to about 2000 feet before the connection is lost and it's the old Return To Home again.

The kinds of areas that you're flying in can potentially hinder the range of the aircraft. Could you clarify where you're flying? What Go app and mobile device you're using?  Troubleshooting would be limited since you've modded the RC.
2017-6-17
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-17 20:22
The kinds of areas that you're flying in can potentially hinder the range of the aircraft. Could you clarify where you're flying? What Go app and mobile device you're using?  Troubleshooting would be limited since you've modded the RC.

Since I live in a medium sized city it is hard to find and area without power lines or household wifi everywhere. I was recently flying over a 1/2 mile square empty cornfield and I could only get 2000 feet out before I lost contact with the P3S.
I use an 2nd generation iPad.
2017-6-17
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-17 12:40

Try adding one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna ... keywords=phantom+p3 - but you going about as far as you can with a P3S -
Max Transmission Distance
FCC: 1000 m
CE: 500 m

31Kc86RlOZL.jpg
41O9UGLH8dL.jpg
2017-6-17
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

SimonH78 Posted at 2017-6-17 23:31
Try adding one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna ... keywords=phantom+p3 - but you going about as far as you can with a P3S -

Thank you Simon, but that was the first thing I tried. The only thing I can think of is that I bought this P3 refurbished.
2017-6-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-17 22:30
Since I live in a medium sized city it is hard to find and area without power lines or household wifi everywhere. I was recently flying over a 1/2 mile square empty cornfield and I could only get 2000 feet out before I lost contact with the P3S.

Do you happen to have a newer iOS or a device with a little more processing power just to see if you notice any difference in the range?
2017-6-19
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-17 22:30

You have probably already heard of this, but give Litchi a try. You can create a waypoint mission on your computer or tablet, and you then upload it to the phantom. It will run the entire mission even if the signal gets interrupted or lost. It is not quite like free-flying if you will, but you can send it out farther than you can go currently I'm sure. I have many friends here in the US that struggled with the distance with their standards, and a lot of them I have talked into trying Litchi and they are delighted with it. Just a thought for you.
2017-6-19
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-6-17 05:02

Endo, I just hooked up my iPad to my new 3 Advanced and nothing happened. Then I realized that my version of iPad is wifi only!!! Advanced doesn't use wifi.
How could I not think of that?  
If I get an iPad that doesn't use only wifi, do I have to get one with a phone contract? Man my head is going to blow up!
What kind of device do you use?
2017-6-19
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-6-19 11:05
You have probably already heard of this, but give Litchi a try. You can create a waypoint mission on your computer or tablet, and you then upload it to the phantom. It will run the entire mission even if the signal gets interrupted or lost. It is not quite like free-flying if you will, but you can send it out farther than you can go currently I'm sure. I have many friends here in the US that struggled with the distance with their standards, and a lot of them I have talked into trying Litchi and they are delighted with it. Just a thought for you.

You seem like a knowledgeable guy.  I have a wifi only iPad, does Litchi work on that?
My new 3 Advanced doesn't need wifi and now I am pretty sure  I have to get a new iPad, but I don't want a phone contract. Damn, this is getting complicated.
What kind of device do you use Litchi on?
2017-6-19
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-19 19:51
Endo, I just hooked up my iPad to my new 3 Advanced and nothing happened. Then I realized that my version of iPad is wifi only!!! Advanced doesn't use wifi.
How could I not think of that?  
If I get an iPad that doesn't use only wifi, do I have to get one with a phone contract? Man my head is going to blow up!

Don't panic, that's fine.  The remote controller communicates with the iPad via the same USB to [lightning apple connector] cable you use to charge/sync it, not via wifi like the standard.  You might need to update the version of Go in the app store, it needs to be compatible with the firmware in the aircraft.  It will work, that's what I use, just take your time.

You don't need a iPad with cellular for it to work either.  I have an iPad mini 3 wifi-only as well.  The only time you  need a cellular model is if you need to use mobile data when you are out and about (I just download the maps beforehand and cache them while I'm at home, then sync and upload the flight later using my wifi connection) or use a mobile hotspot like a pocket wifi (both of these need a phone contract, otherwise not).  The other thing you get in the cellular models is a GPS unit in the iPad (it is built on the same daughterboard as the cell phone circuit).  You ONLY need this if you are updating your home point to your current position if you are moving around a lot and constantly updating your position (e.g. in a boat), or you want to do a "follow me" flight.  The aircraft uses its inbuilt GPS receivers to determine its position, and it uses the tablet's GPS to know where you are, and where to point its nose and follow that object.   There are other methods to do that too -- I use a small bluetooth GPS in my pocket linked to the iPad.  The Ipad takes its coordinates from that and it works exactly the same as a cellular pad.  The external GPS is slightly special to work with apple devices and a little pricey, but it is actually a more capable GPS that the one in a cellular pad.  There are threads on the forum about it if you want to investigate that later--it really is a small part of the equation and you actually won't use it that much if at all.
2017-6-19
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-19 19:56
You seem like a knowledgeable guy.  I have a wifi only iPad, does Litchi work on that?
My new 3 Advanced doesn't need wifi and now I am pretty sure  I have to get a new iPad, but I don't want a phone contract. Damn, this is getting complicated.
What kind of device do you use Litchi on?

Endotherm hopefully answered your questions about the GPS and your device and compatibility. But to answer your question about what I use, I have an android device, a Nividia Shield  to be exact. The Litchi app should work an about any device I would think. Like endotherm said, don't worry about the GPS unless you want to do the special functions he referred to. The WiFi is only to download the missions into the app. A USB cable is used for whatever type of device you are using, and you phantom and RC use your Lightbridge for communication. Sounds like a lot but like he said, it is not difficult.
2017-6-20
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-6-19 20:41
Don't panic, that's fine.  The remote controller communicates with the iPad via the same USB to [lightning apple connector] cable you use to charge/sync it, not via wifi like the standard.  You might need to update the version of Go in the app store, it needs to be compatible with the firmware in the aircraft.  It will work, that's what I use, just take your time.

You don't need a iPad with cellular for it to work either.  I have an iPad mini 3 wifi-only as well.  The only time you  need a cellular model is if you need to use mobile data when you are out and about (I just download the maps beforehand and cache them while I'm at home, then sync and upload the flight later using my wifi connection) or use a mobile hotspot like a pocket wifi (both of these need a phone contract, otherwise not).  The other thing you get in the cellular models is a GPS unit in the iPad (it is built on the same daughterboard as the cell phone circuit).  You ONLY need this if you are updating your home point to your current position if you are moving around a lot and constantly updating your position (e.g. in a boat), or you want to do a "follow me" flight.  The aircraft uses its inbuilt GPS receivers to determine its position, and it uses the tablet's GPS to know where you are, and where to point its nose and follow that object.   There are other methods to do that too -- I use a small bluetooth GPS in my pocket linked to the iPad.  The Ipad takes its coordinates from that and it works exactly the same as a cellular pad.  The external GPS is slightly special to work with apple devices and a little pricey, but it is actually a more capable GPS that the one in a cellular pad.  There are threads on the forum about it if you want to investigate that later--it really is a small part of the equation and you actually won't use it that much if at all.

I did try the usb cable from my ipad to the controller. I also tried to update the DJI GO app but there was no update. Still nothing. The controller and drone won't sync up, therefore no camera function. I know to click to change the drone to Advanced on the app, but the page just sits there that tells me how to connect the controller to the drone. I bought the P3 Advanced from a guy who only flew it a couple of times and didn't really want it. It looks like he NEVER flew it - not a speck of anything on it and certainly no damage.
Actually the motors fire up correctly, just no camera and no hookup on the app. I am more sure than ever that my iPad is too old of a version - I have heard that this is a problem.
So thanks for all the information - again. I have a line on a 4th generation mini ipad.
2017-6-20
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-6-20 05:50
Endotherm hopefully answered your questions about the GPS and your device and compatibility. But to answer your question about what I use, I have an android device, a Nividia Shield  to be exact. The Litchi app should work an about any device I would think. Like endotherm said, don't worry about the GPS unless you want to do the special functions he referred to. The WiFi is only to download the missions into the app. A USB cable is used for whatever type of device you are using, and you phantom and RC use your Lightbridge for communication. Sounds like a lot but like he said, it is not difficult.

I hear the combo of the Nividia and Litchi is killer. You can probably do anything!
2017-6-20
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-20 11:10
I hear the combo of the Nividia and Litchi is killer. You can probably do anything!

I have nothing but good things to say about my Nvidia & Litchi. I tried many devices before buying anything and I actually have an I-phone (work), and it worked ok, it is just I wanted something a little bigger to view and honestly I didn't feel like spending $500+ for and I-pad. My Nvidia was $200 brand new.
You shouldn't have to pick which drone you have on your app, that is the problem. It isn't communicating with the RC in my opinion. Whatever I use, android, I-phone, tablet, with the DJI go app it always knows which aircraft I have. You surely have a green light on your RC right? Otherwise I wouldn't think you could start the motors. I think it is more your app or tablet, than the RC not connecting to the phantom. Can you move the gimbal with the thumb-wheel? If you I-pad can't handle the app I think it would just be slow or crash. I am trying to help but don't really know what else for you to try. I would borrow another device from a friend, and just see if you can connect.
2017-6-20
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-6-19 20:41

I was just on another thread and the page is chock full of guys having the exact same problem as me.
Dozens of guys and that is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
So it is a DJI software problem. Which they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix.
2017-6-20
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-20 21:12
I was just on another thread and the page is chock full of guys having the exact same problem as me.
Dozens of guys and that is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
So it is a DJI software problem. Which they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix.

Unfortunately those "dozens" don't reflect the success the other thousands upon thousands of silent users have, so it doesn't really point to a software error.  Usually it is a difficulty they encounter by not doing software upgrades correctly, or asking too much from a cheap, low powered device (usually a cheap android device not on the recommended list).  I'm not doubting you have a problem, I'm just disagreeing with your conclusion.  It's especially hard developing for Android, as there are so many different platforms to cater to, and the hardware is quite different from each other, often with many inclusions and exclusions in features.  IOS on the other hand is very similar and there are only a handful of devices to develop for.  Pretty much anything with a lightning connector will be good enough, those with the older 30pin connector will be questionable.

There are certain functions of the remote which are straight "dumb" radio controls which come straight from the controller -- camera tilt, flight sticks...  The other functions like telemetry and video are computer data and need to be run and processed by the device's CPU.  If the remote and the device haven't been "paired" correctly, the radio controls will work but none of the other features from the app will.  It may just be a matter of re-linking the aircraft with the controller again.
2017-6-27
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-6-27 00:17
Unfortunately those "dozens" don't reflect the success the other thousands upon thousands of silent users have, so it doesn't really point to a software error.  Usually it is a difficulty they encounter by not doing software upgrades correctly, or asking too much from a cheap, low powered device (usually a cheap android device not on the recommended list).  I'm not doubting you have a problem, I'm just disagreeing with your conclusion.  It's especially hard developing for Android, as there are so many different platforms to cater to, and the hardware is quite different from each other, often with many inclusions and exclusions in features.  IOS on the other hand is very similar and there are only a handful of devices to develop for.  Pretty much anything with a lightning connector will be good enough, those with the older 30pin connector will be questionable.

There are certain functions of the remote which are straight "dumb" radio controls which come straight from the controller -- camera tilt, flight sticks...  The other functions like telemetry and video are computer data and need to be run and processed by the device's CPU.  If the remote and the device haven't been "paired" correctly, the radio controls will work but none of the other features from the app will.  It may just be a matter of re-linking the aircraft with the controller again.

I agree that sometimes things are not done right by the operator.
so you don't think there is any chance that this could be a DJI software problem?
I said dozens, which are just the guys I know about. couldn't it actually be more like thousands?
Not everybody who flies a DJI product looks at forums like this.
Just thinking out loud.
2017-6-27
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-27 13:15
I agree that sometimes things are not done right by the operator.
so you don't think there is any chance that this could be a DJI software problem?
I said dozens, which are just the guys I know about. couldn't it actually be more like thousands?

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone blamed the software/firmware for their problems.  It invariably turns out to be something else.  Your problem boils down to your controller not talking to your device.  There are a few explanations for this, especially not having them paired or having a hardware incompatibility.  If it was a software problem, everyone would be having that problem.  I'm not.  Just about everyone else isn't either.  You only ever hear from people when they are having problems.  I've never started a post "my system is working perfectly and I don't have any problems".  No one does.  If there was a widespread problem with people not being able to connect and fly their expensive aircraft, DJI would be getting a lot of returns and quickly go out of business.  They aren't.  In order to prevent that sort of thing happening, they will address any problems they find in a timely manner, there is too much money and reputation at stake.  That's not to say they can spend unlimited time and resources finding out why the program has an issue with a handful of cheap and nasty devices.  They put out a list of devices they have tested and bug-fixed and know will work.  If people choose to use something outside of the list, they are taking a chance (some devices work exceptionally well despite not being on the list).  

Have you tried re-linking your device with your controller?  Was that unsuccessful?  What happened?
2017-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules