Can't connect to iphone 5
1866 23 2015-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Okay, l've read and watched everything l could find. l've been flying my little Syma around getting flight experience. l thought l was ready to ramp up my vision + v3 and have my inaugural flight.

l've downloaded everything, calibrated everything in Phantom, formatted the sd card, dropped the file into it, put it in the phantom and the tiny light went green. lt shows up on my iphone app with the firmware version. Everything seemed good.

l'm having 2 issues:
1/ The arrows on the iphone make the camera move up and down very smoothly. However, the dial on the top-left of the transmitter makes the camera jerk around and make weird noises. l did calibrate the dial on set up.

2/ My iphone 5 looks like it's trying to give a picture but never does. The app is connected to "phantom", airplane mode on, wi-fi on. When l shut the bird off it tells me connection is lost, but it doesn't seem to have a connection to begin with.
Help. l'm a complete noob and l don't know what to try next. Thanks guys.
appversion.jpg
iphoneblankna.jpg
2015-3-14
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Capitan,

I've encountered similar issues with my Iphone 4s as well. In a few cases I was able to power cycle the bird only and get a link. Not sure if its the correct method but it worked many times for me. Left everything on, prepared to fly, turned off the bird, left the wifi extender and RC on, turned the bird back on and reconnected to the wifi. As far as the gimbal thumbwheel, sounds strange, I don't have that issue with mine and there are no strange sounds.

Jerry
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks jtrjr, l tried that twice, it said can't connect to phantom but it connected anyway, and l now have a picture on the iphone! Thanks for the advice.

lt still says N/A at the top-right, is that a concern?
2015-3-14
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-3-14 23:40
Thanks jtrjr, l tried that twice, it said can't connect to phantom but it connected anyway, and l no ...

Not sure, ill have to take a look at mine next time I go out. I just switched to the 7" Nexus Android tablet so I'm not sure if I can help. I couldn't see my Iphone screen well enough. Just did my first flight with the new tablet about a half hour ago. I didn't remember to change the display sleep time, so it kept shutting off. Short of that much easier to see.
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Capit,
Are you in Phantom or NAZA?
If in NAZA it should show NAZA as in the attached
2709 ft..PNG
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l'm in phantom, l haven't flown it yet and l haven't set up any of the available settings in NAZA.
l kinda fixed the gimbal ... lt works smoothly and without noise but the range on the wheel is skewed. l can live with that.

The phone will connect and show me what the camera is seeing just about every time l switch it on, but within say 30 seconds, the circle in the middle of the screen starts spinning and l've lost the picture. lt's on my floor beside the cpu tower, dunno if that would cause interference?
2015-3-14
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

l'm having 2 issues:
1/ The arrows on the iphone make the camera move up and down very smoothly. However, the dial on the top-left of the transmitter makes the camera jerk around and make weird noises. l did calibrate the dial on set up.

You need to run the calibration in the RC asst and then in the Phantom asst to sort out the jerky movement

Your camera firmware is old update it to 1.30, this was designed to fix issues with the app and the camera
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l think that was on the card l tried last night. l re-did it today using the 1.3.0     3 times now and the camera light goes green, power cycled etc.
The file on the sd card says 1.3.0, but my phone app still says 1.2.9
How do l fix that?  Thx. and sorry to be a pain, l'm not very techy.
camerafirmware.jpg
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2015-3-15 01:13
l think that was on the card l tried last night. l re-did it today using the 1.3.0     3 times now a ...

Capit,
You have to rename the file on the on the SD Card before the camera will actually read it,
you have to take out the _v1.3.0 in the file name and re try
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Aaaah, l thought once the .bin was gone that was taken care of. Thanks, l'll try that now.
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

let us know when you have it working..
With regard to the jerkiness of the gimbal control knob on the controller, sometimes the RC will fix it but often not,
Here is a procedure that most anyone has tried swears by...
093139rmq5ycusimuss1yb.gif
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Great info - thanks! l'll do that, the range is way off.

l still can't get this camera firmware to update, l'm ready to frisbee it through the window.
l've re-named it to firmware_plus.bin and put the card in. l've wiped the card, redownloaded, renamed the file once l've copied it, and tried again with same result. The camera red light comes on but turns green right away, doesn't seem to be reading it. Iphone app still says 1.2.9
There's a video showing what to do that l followed to the letter, but same result. The only difference l see is when the video guy downloads the zipfile, his reader is different to mine (l dunno what his is). My default reader is internet explorer. Should it be something else or am l way off?
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

i am trying to recall when i did it, did you power cycle the Phantom afterward and did you power cycle your iPhone..
Key thing, if you just power up the Phantom does the camera light stay green...And is your camera gimbal guard off (please say yes to the last one)
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2015-3-15 01:50
Great info - thanks! l'll do that, the range is way off.

l still can't get this camera firmware to  ...

i am guessing you unzipped the file then renamed? if not, please unzip and rename as the camera cannot unzip it...
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l power cycled the phantom, but not the iphone. l'm not sure what you mean by the gimbal being off... l hope l haven't messed this thing up. The protector and lens cap are off, but it moves a little whenever l switch it on, so it's active, yes.
The tiny camera light goes from a very brief red straight to green and stays there.
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2015-3-15 02:03
l power cycled the phantom, but not the iphone. l'm not sure what you mean by the gimbal being off.. ...

sorry, my bad, gimbal guard (the plastic clamp that holds the camera in place for transport), that should not be on the Camera whenever the Phantom is on as it could cook the camera...
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2015-3-15 02:03
l power cycled the phantom, but not the iphone. l'm not sure what you mean by the gimbal being off.. ...

so, what is the verdict after you power cycled your phone?
and yes, the camera will do a little dance everytime the Phantom is powered up and that is normal!
I also notice your Frimware is not up to date but not a big deal for now as the 3.08 you have on there is quite stable
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l'm going to buy a new card. l extracted (l hope this is unzipped because that's all l did) the file and saved it to desktop. Copied onto the card and ejected (l can't find a save button before ejecting??)
When l try to upload to the phantom, then put it back into the computer, my default windows uploader tell me the card contains no files. When l close that, and go find the card on the PC page, the file still reads the same as it did at the start, it hasn't changed to firmware_plus.bin.bak00. Maybe the card that came with it is pooched.
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2015-3-15 02:25
l'm going to buy a new card. l extracted (l hope this is unzipped because that's all l did) the file ...

Can you please do this,
Power the Phantom on..
Put the card back into the Phantom and through the Vision app on the iPhone, reformat the card using the little setting wheel (looks like a gear in the lower right of the phone display), scroll down the camera settings and the last item is a picture of an SD card with an "x", tap that and then tap yes.
Power the Phantom off
Then remove the card from the Phantom,
Reinstall the card into your computer,
unzip the file you downloaded on your computer,
then rename the file,
Then drag the unzipped and renamed file to the card.
Then put the card back into the Phantom....
Power on your Phantom and see what happens.

2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l did this and still get the same result. l have no idea what else to do with it. Thanks for hanging in with me, l've only got one battery so far and l'm down to one bar so l'm going to charge up and try again later .
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

OMFG. Finally!
Got a new card, did the whole procedure exactly as you laid out - nothing.
Had a glass of wine.
Went back to the guy's video to see what l was doing different and decided to read through the comments to see if anyone had the same issue. Bingo!
Apparently my computer adds .bin to the file hidden so l can't see it's there, so when l renamed it only firmware_plus with no suffix, that little red light just blinked away for a good 8 or 10 seconds. Whew. Thanks again.
At this rate l'll be flying the thing by next Christmas.
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2015-3-15 04:05
OMFG. Finally!
Got a new card, did the whole procedure exactly as you laid out - nothing.
Had a glas ...

CapitAn..
thanks for letting me know, i was having doubts myself and for several folks it took them several reboots of the Phantom for it to work and even then it sounds like you booted it down to the end of the blocl..LoL.
i was literally going to go through the whole ritual myself again and re do my firmware just to make sure.
If you have the post that you were referring to, please post so that others may easily find it and post a pict of the file if you can with any detail, it makes it easier for folks searching for information when they encounter a similar problem.

Btw...Thank you for not using it as a frisbee..it would not go that far and then you would have been really pi$$ed..
have fun with it and please watch lots of videos etc. to help you get settled first time it takes flight (outdoors hopefully!) in an open area....just need a bit of space to get those first flight jitters out of you.
2015-3-14
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Haha, will do. What relief, l thought l was going to have to ship it off and not see it again for months.

This was a guy's post from Simon Newton's (aka on the kitchen table) video:  "I had problems because I was using Windows and the default setting under folder view options is "Hide file extensions for known file types" ticked.
Therefore I was at the time unknowingly naming the .bin file to "firmware_plus.bin.bin".
Once I unchecked the option to "Hide file extensions for known file types" the firmware update worked."

This was also my problem and once the file was correctly named the camera read it instantly, and my iphone app now says 1.3.0g.

And the other plus is that since it updated, l've had my iphone linked to it and the picture is still showing. lt disconnected in less than a minute before. Bonus.
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Well then, i think we have found a name for your Phantom..."bin.bin", sorry but LMFAO and thanks for clarifying.

Have fun
2015-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules