DJI, Please Stop Hobbling our Drones with "Updates".
2223 39 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clapper
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1528392 ft
United States

[size=14.6667px]I realize DJI is a Chinese company, for better and worse. Here is some market feedback from the USA. The Chinese are used to heavy handed government and social controls. Going along with such thinking is a must for anyone who wants to succeed in business in China. The Chinese don't spend a lot of time worrying about losing freedoms, because they don't have as many in their country and the ones they do have are new and not shared by everyone. But now DJI has a huge consumer base in the USA, and they need to realize that many people in this country are reflexively questioning and uncomfortable with "Big Brother" moves like unilaterally "updating" firmware to restrict our uses in a creeping, unilateral way. I am sure they have many rational motives for continuing this trend, such as trying to prevent wider government regulation that might hurt their sales in places like the USA. But hear this DJI - the USA is a country where freedom is valued, and "Big Brother" is not wanted by many of us even if there is some "good" in it. We see what you're doing, and we don't like it. Keep it up and somebody will get sick of it enough to come up with an alternative to your products that is more in line with our values. Right now you have little to fear because your tech is far ahead and your market share is immense. That is what GM thought in the the 60's and look what happened to them. They're still huge, but their arrogance gave birth to a multitude or competitors who are now much bigger and eat much of their lunch by making better products and selling them for less money. The US market is the biggest and it will win in the end, and this market is not controlled like the Chinese market. DJI, you should be continuing to innovate and find new ways to make your drones more capable and cheaper. Stop hobbling them with firmware and software updates that limit user freedoms more and more. Your once loyal US consumers like me will rebel and find ways to spend our money elsewhere with companies that don't feel compelled to treat us like children even if some of us may sometimes act irresponsibly. Even if your hobbling our drones seems beneficial to DJI and many other people, it is not the "American" way and it is a losing strategy. Please stop it.
2017-6-17
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Sorry, but this post made me laugh soo hard.
"the USA is a country where freedom is valued, and "Big Brother" is not wanted by many of us ....."
Let me name a few US keywords,.....Google, Facebook, NSA.
hahahahahahaha

Oh and DJI keep up the good work.
When can we expect to get a new update?
2017-6-17
Use props
fansfd87260c
lvl.1

United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-6-17 13:02
Sorry, but this post made me laugh soo hard.
"the USA is a country where freedom is valued, and "Big Brother" is not wanted by many of us ....."
Let me name a few US keywords,.....Google, Facebook, NSA.

I don't know why we have cemeteries full of vets that gave the ultimate for our freedoms and yours, and why you are not speaking German today.
2017-6-17
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Austria

Can you list the ways DJI has removed functionality from the MAVIC with the recent updates? I'm not talking about making how they make us download the firmware, or logging in etc. To be honest, I'm fine with that and I expect to do those things with software and hardware products that use. It's the "hobbling"  that I'm interested in.
2017-6-17
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

I want updates to fix issues, not restrict me using it, USA has a voice, but so does everywhere else, just because it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it's wrong, it's a firmware or update that can be easily adjusted to please everyone.
2017-6-17
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Ahh yes, Americans. Funny breed. Best country in the world, no......
2017-6-17
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

fansfd87260c Posted at 2017-6-17 13:11
I don't know why we have cemeteries full of vets that gave the ultimate for our freedoms and yours, and why you are not speaking German today.

So you want to compare a drone and to be exact the firmware of a drone, what you can and cannot do with World War II,.......{:4_177:}
I hope you realize the ridicule of your own words.

2017-6-17
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Ps try putting an apple iPhone micro SIM card in another mobile, then you will see real restrictions lol
2017-6-17
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Lol and even if the Germans did win the war, that was 60 years ago, and if you actually think the nazi's would have actually taken over America, your a fool. But hey, keep using that excuse.
2017-6-17
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

An American criticising other nations Big brother ideologies. Classic.
2017-6-17
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791194 ft
Russia

With all due respect to your vets and without diminishing the US achievements in WW2, I'm not sure that you guys played the decisive role that others "don't speak German". More succeeded that less speak Japanese
2017-6-17
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Shh, don't confuse them with facts.
2017-6-17
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791194 ft
Russia

Not a chance. One needs to know facts before to get confused
2017-6-17
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

And what do you say to good ole American firm GoPro who has also got the exact same restrictions on the Karma and are in fact using DJI as the benchmark?  Everytime I ask the "freedom whiners" on here about GoPro they disappear and go all silent.  Yes, DJI is a Chinese company but that does not make them any different to a US company selling a product on US soil.  If you want change then vote for it but stop having a go at companies who don't want to be sued by your FREE country.  Or, just stop buying their products altogether.
2017-6-17
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

The only issue I have with DJI being a Chinese company is that their software menus, settings, and the instruction guide all written in broken English or incomprehensible English. They should have gotten native English writers for that stuff.
2017-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What a ridiculous statement, remember your own president Donald Trump said America is not great anymore " he's going to to make it great again" leaders of the free world "I don't think so" you spend all your time watching each other with guns at the ready, there's a big world out there and they're moving onwards and upwards and USA are fast being left behind, remember companies like Apple depend on places like China to manufacture their products as do many other US companies.

America won't tell china what to do and how to do it, you would be well advised to look inward before you cast aspersions on other nations.

When you want to first put something forward, try to have your facts correct , not order others about . Because it just looks like the USA waving the big stick at the rest of the world, which in turn dwarfs the USA.....
2017-6-17
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

I just thought I'd mention that even though you might wear a tin foil hat, putting one on your drone can have detrimental effects.  It's likely the #1 cause of GPS loss.
2017-6-17
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Just a few comments:

I find it funny how you speak up for the entire US market. Enjoy your freedom and buy another product. There are American companies that sell camera drones, too. You are free to buy one. (I hope you understand my irony).

Regarding your speech about freedom and big brother, you might want to re-consider your opinion using some real facts. This article might be a good starting point: 10 reasons the U.S. is no longer the land of the free. As you can see on top of the article, it is a journalist's opinion. So, read it carefully and decide yourself which opinion you want to share. There is a lot mentioned that is Big-Brother-style in the US and makes your country the land of the not-so-free-anymore. Although the article is from 2012 I think, it did not get better since. When I see how your president wants to get rid of illegal immigrants, how he wants to build up walls and prohibit Muslims to travel to the USA, I get strongly reminded of what I learned in history class about Germany from 1930 to 1945.

By the way, my opinion about your freedom in the US seems to be supported by more and more Americans. An international, world-wide investigation asked people in 120 countries how satisfied they are to freely live the life they want. The USA ended up on place 36 behind e.g. Paraguay and Rwanda. How free are you in a country in which people do not feel as free anymore as they used to 20 years ago?

PS: Do not overestimate the US market. The US market size is smaller than the Chinese and European markets. Have a look at the figures yourself: What Is the World's Largest Economy?

2017-6-17
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Give me Australia, any bloody day.
2017-6-18
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Sime Posted at 2017-6-17 13:40
Lol and even if the Germans did win the war, that was 60 years ago, and if you actually think the nazi's would have actually taken over America, your a fool. But hey, keep using that excuse.

I don't want to criticize you but I think it was more 72 years ago but and some people don't seem to forget some things. We generally have a little problem with some "whatever county based companies are doing some surveillance for every move we make on the Internet. We are somehow fortunate in this area in Europe cause we will have a new law about privacy from May 2018 which also affect companies outside EU.  
Can we now focus on how our Aircrafts are behaving?

happy flying
2017-6-18
Use props
fans2e9aa3da
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7159 ft
United States

I'm still waiting to hear how DJI has hobbled my drone
2017-6-18
Use props
fansfd87260c
lvl.1

United States

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-6-17 14:24
With all due respect to your vets and without diminishing the US achievements in WW2, I'm not sure that you guys played the decisive role that others "don't speak German". More succeeded that less speak Japanese

Because I was replying to a poster from the Netherlands and not America. If it went the other way in WW2 we would likely be bilingual.
2017-6-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Maybe time as flybee says to get back to drones, I don't think OP is interested, just trying to instigate a bit of hysteria.
2017-6-18
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Again!!!? What in hell is this.

1. You are not being forced to do anything.

2. Don't want to provide your data, sure find another brand that doesn't do this with the same level of quality and forefront products as DJI and then we might have a serious discussion.

3. I think there are bigger problems that you might need to worry about.

4. What a waste of bites on the internet to see this kind of posts.

5. As always the OP just disappears when none of its claims have any solid ground on which to stand for.

Let's just leave this kind of posts fall into oblivion.
2017-6-18
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

I'm sure he is one of the idiots who made DJI changed their way to re-enforce flying practices.
2017-6-18
Use props
fansd2384f6d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 829685 ft
United States

Do you think they will ever fix the issues with FaceBook Livestream for Andriod users?
2017-6-18
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-6-17 13:19
Can you list the ways DJI has removed functionality from the MAVIC with the recent updates? I'm not talking about making how they make us download the firmware, or logging in etc. To be honest, I'm fine with that and I expect to do those things with software and hardware products that use. It's the "hobbling"  that I'm interested in.

Sure, Were limited in the flight range with just the RC (no phone attached) We have to have internet connection to fly, because of new DJI Imposed no flight zones popping up in areas that are not FAA NFZ.  Auto land is forced if you enter an NFZ, or DJI decides after launch your in an NFZ. Are these somehow not restrictions?? WTF do you live under a rock. Just because these things dont affect you doesnt mean there not real
2017-6-18
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-6-17 23:27
Just a few comments:

I find it funny how you speak up for the entire US market. Enjoy your freedom and buy another product. There are American companies that sell camera drones, too. You are free to buy one. (I hope you understand my irony).

Then why does DJI sell more of their qauds in the US than anywhere else in the world?
2017-6-18
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-18 17:07
Sure, Were limited in the flight range with just the RC (no phone attached) We have to have internet connection to fly, because of new DJI Imposed no flight zones popping up in areas that are not FAA NFZ.  Auto land is forced if you enter an NFZ, or DJI decides after launch your in an NFZ. Are these somehow not restrictions?? WTF do you live under a rock. Just because these things dont affect you doesnt mean there not real

It's not DJI restricting you, it's the FAA, I kinda thought that's obvious.
2017-6-18
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Sime Posted at 2017-6-18 18:42
It's not DJI restricting you, it's the FAA, I kinda thought that's obvious.

Exactly!  OP, instead of directing your anger at DJI, direct it at your own authorities for threatening the drone manufacturers.  The FAA is bullying the drone companies who either comply or will be banned from the country.

Why do I feel this is like talking to a bunch of 2 year olds?
2017-6-18
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Americans in general, land of the free, and Schitt like that.
2017-6-18
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-18 17:06
Then why does DJI sell more of their qauds in the US than anywhere else in the world?

Maybe because their great events are all in English and take place in the US? Maybe because the discussion boards are in English? Maybe because their apps are in English? If you want to sell in Europe, you have to properly support many languages. If you don't, you will only get the part of the market that feels comfortable with English which is probably just a quarter of the market or even significantly less.
2017-6-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-18 17:07

Do you think dji is somehow picking on the US, do you think NFZ are designed by dji without any consultation with FAA , if that's what you think you are wrong, dji are heavily involved with all known associations in all countries where they sell there drones, if an area is zoned NFZ this will be an area where it is difficult to sell drones , "doesn't make sense " that would be like killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Again there you go with we can't fly without internet, that statement is not correct, YOU DONT NEED INTERNET TO FLY.

It seems amazing that when somebody hits an NFZ in the US there first port of call is to dji " it must be there fault" why don't you contact FAA and ask them why the area is down as NFZ .
2017-6-19
Use props
fans90c13814
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But Big Brother does at least understand what a paragraph is.
What exactly is "The American Way"?  Must be something special, since you seem to value yourself above the rest of us.

2017-6-19
Use props
Howard Hughes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2153209 ft
United States

Look at all the hate for America on this forum...... Just for the record, America is the reason you don't speak German or Japanese. Prove me wrong!
It's typical of the rest of the world to be jelious and lash out at the Americans.

God Bless America and her people
2017-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Howard Hughes Posted at 2017-6-19 07:28
Look at all the hate for America on this forum...... Just for the record, America is the reason you don't speak German or Japanese. Prove me wrong!
It's typical of the rest of the world to be jelious and lash out at the Americans.

More ridiculous overzealous comments , you need to go read opening post before you comment and Clapper's complete ignorance towards another country who he feels is inferior to the US as I'm sure he feels every other country around the world is.

Posters get annoyed at this kind of ridiculous comments/ statements, you don't hear or see any other nationalities on here denigrating other countries until some clown from the US starts to come on with his chest out telling the rest how we should live our lives around citizens of the US , remember you wouldn't have a country without all the emigrants from around the world.

The US needs to realise that for imports exports manufacturing and tourism it depends heavily on the rest of the world and while it once was the leader of the free world, the rest of the world has moved on and much of the world has left US in its wake regarding prosperity quality of life and most of all freedom.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
2017-6-19
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just for the record the Yanks did not win the war on their own! lets not forget Vietnam!  nor would there be an America if it was not for the UK ;-) The UK played a decisive roll in winning the war and its just Hollywood that dresses it up as if the Americans did it all themselves and if you believe that maybe you should buy a flying pig not a Mavic ;-)   
2017-6-19
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Dronoob Posted at 2017-6-18 23:37
Maybe because their great events are all in English and take place in the US? Maybe because the discussion boards are in English? Maybe because their apps are in English? If you want to sell in Europe, you have to properly support many languages. If you don't, you will only get the part of the market that feels comfortable with English which is probably just a quarter of the market or even significantly less.

Hats off to our European friends.  I've traveled the world and am very impressed with their skills at learning multiple languages, most often including English.  It would be nice if DJI would allow others to port their app to different languages...although it is nice to have the world available in one place to share their input too.
2017-6-19
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

My friend, with all respect - the WORLD contributed to the end of that conflict.  You have the 'hollywood' version of the facts as far as the extent of the US contribution.  Germany's (bad) decision to attack Russia was its downfall.  Your patriotism is commendable, but how you are expressing it is deplorable.  
2017-6-19
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

No drones are being "hobbled". Thread closed as it serves no purpose.
2017-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules