3077 23 2014-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1322064 ft
South Africa

Hi there

Somewhere I read that : " The distance will increase with the more flights you make. The developers set it up this way."

How does this work?

Do you every time you fly have to push the distance until connection is lost?
or does it automatically happen over time?

How much extra distance do you get per flight?

Did the developer program the controller and WiFi distance like this?

I have done over 70 flights, but my distance has not improved much. I loose touch at about 820ft.

Where can I find information on this issue? Sorry for all the questions, but can't find specific answers on the forum.

2014-10-13
Use props
DJI-DingC
lvl.2

China

As far as I know the flight distance is most determined by the signal transmission quality, not by the accumulated flight distance.  

The rule of thumb is that always fly your aircraft within line of sight though.
2014-10-13
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

@aerialpicturean:
If you can manage to find the text where you read "The distance will increase with the more flights you make. The developers set it up this way.", I'd really like to see it!
I cover RCG and now this forum pretty extensively, and I've never read anything like what you're posting.
Stranger things have happened as far as printed text, but what DJI-DingC is telling you is how it works...
2014-10-13
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

I have seen it a couple of times in threads on the phantompilots.com forum. I will try to find it.
2014-10-13
Use props
aylottdaniel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 120295 ft
United Kingdom

I got my Phantom to 1000ft on the 6th flight  ( I think ) my hight readings have really been playing up its going back to the dealer tomorrow
2014-10-13
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-14 01:08
@aerialpicturean:
If you can manage to find the text where you read "The distance will increase with ...

Seen these statements on different occasions and locations.  The believe is that flight distance is in some way or shape limited/reduced while a Phantom is new and increases with more flying time.  
I'm skeptical that this is the case  but also cannot count out the possibility that there is some truth to that.
2014-10-13
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

I'm DJI forum support (volunteer) and DJI-DingC works for DJI (or they would not let him use DJI in his username).
Believe me when I say I've never heard of this feature...

That's why I'm so interested in seeing the text...
2014-10-13
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

We need an impartial tester that tests the distance on a new out of the box unit vs.  a stock one that has been flown for awhile
2014-10-13
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Well, if that's how you feel...
Test on!
And don't forget to post us a link to the statement you're quoting...
I'll be happy to present it to DJI  for comment.
Pizza Man.png
2014-10-13
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

I am starting to agree with you

It doesn't work!

Some people must be dreaming that make statements like this
2014-10-14
Use props
b.w.j
Second Officer

Denmark

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27483  
2014-10-15
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Okay...
Some dude named flyNfrank who's been posting on PhantomPilots since 2/14/14 says...
"The distance will increase with the more flights you make. The developers set it up this way."
And the subsequent posters question him and conclude that it's a joke.
Give me a break!
When do you guys plan to start your impartial testing?

aerialpicturean, all kidding aside...
I truely am DJI forum support, and I've no knowledge of this silly notion...

2014-10-15
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

I have tested a bit.

First time I lost signal at 220 meters. Second time I could go 260m. Third time I am back to 210. Fourth time 200m.

All in the same place at the same time of the day.

So the result - NO IMPROVEMENT in distance with more flights.
2014-10-21
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

I guess seeing is believing...
2014-10-21
Use props
cantrelldan10
New
United States

when I purchased my vision plus I was excited to be told 700m ......I get half that...even out in an open area....my wave points only allow me to go out about 1000 feet..I wish they would of just told the truth...
2014-10-22
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

Cantrelldan10: have you increased the potentiometer to FCC and changed to FCC in controller sw?

If this is done, you shuld have around 700m or even more some says, but if you dont have done this you should get maybe half of that.
In my ears, seems to be the case.

What is the other potentiometer doing? Anyone know that? Maybe i have to google it.
2014-10-22
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

I am on FCC - Two beeps on controller. Also set it up in Software. Also turned the screw at the back of the controller.

Nothing more I can do. Don't get more than 260m distance. Ordered some antennas. Hope that will help.
2014-10-23
Use props
pedrodelrio
New

Chile

same happens to me!
2014-10-23
Use props
pedrodelrio
New

Chile

200 meter max and i get lost signal for control and video
2014-10-23
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

pedrodelrio Posted at 2014-10-24 03:42
200 meter max and i get lost signal for control and video

I've heard some rumors in my day but this is just silly. Flight distance has and always will be relative to signal strength, obstructions and interference.

And the battery of course
2014-10-23
Use props
rpbeaulieu323
lvl.2

United States

Im having the same issue and its really a HUGE letdown.  DJI boasts up to an 800meter (2400 ft) range and this was the main reason I purchased my Pantom 2 Vision + and the most distance Ive ever got is just under 900 ft (less than 300 meters). I fly in a very open area and always maintain perfect line of sight. I also work at a hobby shop that my friend and I own and its difficult for me to answer the question posed by my customers "how far is the range on the Phantom 2 Vision+?". Well....I can lie to them and say 800 meters like DJI says it will do or tell the truth that I can only get less than 300 meters with mine and thus probably lose the sale! I would love some feedback on this from anybody with some insight. Ryan
2014-10-23
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I feel there are a lot of environmental variables to be taken into account, I've noticed a reduction lately inline with the recent solar flares and the hurricane tail that passed through.......... Magnetic interference???

The figures quoted by DJI are tested under laboratory conditions and this is clearly stated, hence I would expect some variance depending where in the world you are.  

On the other hand, the forums are full of some really magnificent distance records......  and YouTube shows flights that to me are just impossible.

When you say software, I'm assuming you mean both the Phantom software and the RC software?  as I had to change both to FCC.
2014-10-24
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

Yes, both but will check again later. Settings might have changed
2014-10-26
Use props
pedrodelrio
New

Chile

thaks for the information. but still can´t  go farther than 250 mts  with my phantom 2 +.

2014-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules