24596 62 2017-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-15 08:24
Very good, all by hand, that must have been time consuming and tedious too.  I applaud your effort and patience.
At some point I'm going to give this a try, but for now I'm more concerned with flying safely and correctly than operating in stealth mode (joking of course).   In other words sound is not a huge concern for me, but I can see down the road it would be nice to quite things down a bit.
Thanks!

Smoothing the moulding marks around the edges doesn't take long at all and is easy to do.  The logo takes a lot longer and isn't worth the effort to remove it completely.
2017-9-15
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Oh... I would NOT try to modify the drone in ANY way... If you touch the blades with sandpaper, and then anything happens, you will probably have to kiss your warentee away, and I don't blame them, you modified it.  I am not sure there is a way to make it quieter.  It's just part of what it is.  The Mavic's are quieter, but there are downsides to them as well.  
2017-9-15
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-6-18 21:18
Hmm - how quiet is the Spark then, or would it just be more buzzy?

While the spark does fly in the air, it does NOT have near the capabilities of the Mavic or the Phantom.  If you just LOVE selfies, then it might be the right drone, if you need anything else, I wouldn't get it.  
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-6-20 06:39
The way to make your drone quieter is to fly it at between 10,000 - 14,000 feet where nobody can hear it.  
Another way I use is to fly above the clouds which deadens any noise.  

Too bad, too high for me....
Only 120m in the NL....
2017-9-15
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
Hong Kong

4-blade  propellers would be helpful. Even a little bit more diameter. So the RPM can be reduced. The attitude of flight would be much more smooth too. But.. th3e battery is draining faster. I tried on a p2.
2017-9-15
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

A guy named Bob Lazar who once worked at Area 51 was able to learn how to use element 126 combined with a particle accellerator.  
This resulted in an additional neutron in its exhaust creates antimater, thus bending the space time continum.   
And as everyone knows, when you bend space you bend the direction of gravity, thus you would eliminate the need for propellers and...
you know what, I'm tired.  I need go go to bed.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Actually correct on that. A Mavic is not nearly as loud and a little more stealth based on it's looks.
2017-9-16
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Wonder how easy it is to try some new designs

Carbon fibre filament, claims it's good for printing propellers:
http://www.bioprintingsystems.co ... inter-filament.html

How to hand draw a usable DJI Phantom propeller:

2017-9-16
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-15 08:30
AS you get older, it will certainly get quieter.

That right there is TRUTH
I personally don't care how much noise my bird makes as long as its not abnormal.  I put it 400ft straight up and I can hear it up there then I send it out 400ft still hear it but just barely. my hearing stinks to many explosions, gunfire and loud music
2017-9-16
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-16 06:21
Wonder how easy it is to try some new designs

Carbon fibre filament, claims it's good for printing propellers:

I have a 3D printer that creates some amazing good quality prints, but no way I'd trust a 3D printed Prop on my drone That's just me though. I am going to clean them up as you suggested,  it would make them more efficient for sure
2017-9-16
Use props
djiuser_t6koDsoVov6a
New
Flight distance : 584 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-19 02:56
Increasing diameter of props will increase their thrust factors, this will create a greater vertical component that Flight Controller will detect and compensate by reducing motor rpm. This will reduce the swarm of bees drone noise.
But there is always a trade of. The larger props even with reduced rpm will likely stress the motors, cause increased demand on battery / ESC's ...

Larger props would have faster tip speeds for a given RPM.  
I think a fan wheel might be better.  Perhaps even a shrouded fan.
2018-5-17
Use props
djiuser_t6koDsoVov6a
New
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-15 08:30
AS you get older, it will certainly get quieter.

A little theory and some ducted fan ideas.

2018-5-17
Use props
The Power of Null
New
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-15 18:27
A guy named Bob Lazar who once worked at Area 51 was able to learn how to use element 126 combined with a particle accellerator.  
This resulted in an additional neutron in its exhaust creates antimater, thus bending the space time continum.   
And as everyone knows, when you bend space you bend the direction of gravity, thus you would eliminate the need for propellers and...

Sweet dreams.
2018-5-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

djiuser_t6koDsoVov6a Posted at 2018-5-17 17:58
A little theory and some ducted fan ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cew5JF8q6eY

You better look out for the continued video telling about potential issues when using a duct on multiprops if he ever made that.
2018-5-18
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

If you sand down the logo from the propellers, or any part of the propeller it may affect the balance. Unless you have suitable balancing equipment, I suggest you forget the idea.  At 2.5 grams each, any 'random' adjustment can not be advised.

The noise is there, you will not change it.
Sand off the DJI Log & it will stop sending a secret signal into space?
I don't think sanding the logo is a good idea.

The noise is from the blades, but mainly multiple electric motors spinning at 10000 RPM. You can't turn a bee into a butterfly
2018-6-3
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Have there been many complaints about drone noise? I know there are complaints about drones per se, but not noise. Certainly with my local interactions no one, other than horse riders, have said anything. With them, they usually ask politely about my flight plans, or if I am already in the air I will move a long way away from the horse until it is past. A little co operation goes a long way i think. I do sand my propellors to balance them, not so much for noise, but it clearly helps that, but to stop vibration damage.
2018-6-3
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-15 18:27
A guy named Bob Lazar who once worked at Area 51 was able to learn how to use element 126 combined with a particle accellerator.  

I know it's an older post...

Was it element 126 or 115? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_LazarMaybe confused with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_periodic_table. Element 126?

How do I connect this to my road vehicles & the UAV to go faster?

Cheers
2018-6-3
Use props
Alan James
lvl.2
Flight distance : 146821 ft

“Drone noise” is from the props.  Period.  Sure, you can hear the motors in there if you listen carefully, but the “loud stuff” is the props interacting with the air.  And the amount of noise depends on the design of the airfoil and how it interacts with the air.   Our standard 9450 phantom props have a fairly agresive design, thus they make a fair amount of sound because their angle of attack to the relative air movement is pretty high.  

There’s only one way you’ll make a significant reduction in noise with the Phantom, and that is to try the new 9455s props for the P4P v2.  
2018-6-3
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Stand beside a traditional helicopter when it takes off. Spark is not loud. The pitch of the propellers in a normal helicopter can be changed to suit flight conditions.
Listen to the thump, thump thump of a 'jet' powered helicopter (or any other helicopter?) - as the props change pitch  to a higher angle, maybe to increase speed or height.
Spark & any aircraft will make their own noise.
I like the noise. Reminds me of the Chev V8 - but not as good as a Mustang. Maybe more  like a Mazda Rotary. Or simply a swarm of bees?
2018-6-3
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Alan James Posted at 2018-6-3 05:22
“Drone noise” is from the props.  Period.  Sure, you can hear the motors in there if you listen carefully, but the “loud stuff” is the props interacting with the air.  And the amount of noise depends on the design of the airfoil and how it interacts with the air.   Our standard 9450 phantom props have a fairly agresive design, thus they make a fair amount of sound because their angle of attack to the relative air movement is pretty high.  

There’s only one way you’ll make a significant reduction in noise with the Phantom, and that is to try the new 9455s props for the P4P v2.

G'day.
This works with Spark1. Remove the props.
2. Turn on RC &/or DJI & connect to Spark or other DJI device.
3. Press take off, or move both RC sticks down & out or in.
4. Press up on the throttle (left stick?) to increase motor speed.
5. Eventually the  DJI Go app may suggest motor over speed - manually lift Spark or other DJI device during the test & change the angles. You should hear the different motors adjust speed.
6. That should be the noise of the motors alone at speeds up to 10000 RPM.
7. After that, any other noise is from the props when installed. Once Spark is 20 m (65 ft) away, noise is normally fair.
8.  FLY AWAY - HELP. I could not hear my drone anywhere. The super quite props must be working!

Buy/install/use original props. Don't change them. If something goes wrong DIJ may offer a discount at worst?  Otherwise you have no proof. Or Save $10-20 on aftermarket props & loose your drone?

2018-6-3
Use props
Alan James
lvl.2

I would not suggest doing the above.  Spinning the motors at high speed under no load is not recommended at all.  (Hence the over speed warning on the GO app.)
2018-6-3
Use props
Alan James
lvl.2

There's nothing wrong  with using the newer official DJI V2.0 props (the 9455S props) made for the new P4P v2.   From what others have said, they are significantly quieter.  (I have a set on order, so I can't say first hand yet.)  It's a huge deal for me since it's not about being stealthy, it's about respecting other's peace and quiet.

Anyways, I do agree on staying away from off-brand cheap props, at least for our purposes here in this forum.   A $20 set of DJI props should last you almost forever, assuming you're not hitting anything.  (I still recommend changing them every 50-100 hours personally, but that's an entire different debate.)   

If you're crashing and wrecking props, you're better off going back to square 1 with a cheap toy drone and honing your skills first.
2018-6-3
Use props
Jersey Johnnie 9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 82041 ft

Stay away from whomever told you that.
2018-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules