SD card and video/photo quality?
6677 17 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grumpysrb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11004 ft
United States

Will the SD card affect quality of the video and or photos?  I have a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB, but, if it would make a different would upgrade.
I do experience flicker during flight that is recorded on video.  Seems to be getting worse, and in places I never had the problem before.
2017-6-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The video is recorded digitally, therefore the SD card has absolutely no effect on the quality of the recording. The Sandisk Ultra series should be OK, depending on how recent it is. The older Ultra series were a bit too slow for the Phantom, but the newer ones are OK.

What you see as 'flicker' may not be what you think. If you want an opinion on the video, please post a short piece of original footage to Dropbox, and we can take a look at it.

2017-6-19
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The flicker on the videos can have other culprits as the SD cards. They can be the velocity of the copter in a low altitude,settings of the cam and(or) the light conditions during record these clips.
2017-6-19
Use props
Grumpysrb
lvl.3
United States

I will post a video when I can, deleted all the bad stuff. Which is most of it.  I kinds believe it's interference of some sort, but I have been having trouble getting good video where I had no trouble before. I do have some on my laptop, but haven't figured out how to post it.
2017-6-19
Use props
Grumpysrb
lvl.3
United States

Peterx Posted at 2017-6-19 01:15
The flicker on the videos can have other culprits as the SD cards. They can be the velocity of the copter in a low altitude,settings of the cam and(or) the light conditions during record these clips.

I don't believe its light, etc. it may be settings, but I don't know which would cause this.  Like the old TV you could adjust the vertical hold to make the picture scroll, but this is more like a wave scrolling through the video, even when not recording.
2017-6-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Grumpysrb Posted at 2017-6-19 01:26
I will post a video when I can, deleted all the bad stuff. Which is most of it.  I kinds believe it's interference of some sort, but I have been having trouble getting good video where I had no trouble before.

The best way to tell is to post a piece of original footage. It is important that it has not been edited or otherwise though. But I can tell you it won't be interference or anything of the sort, unless there is damage to the video section.
2017-6-19
Use props
Grumpysrb
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the replies
2017-6-19
Use props
Grumpysrb
lvl.3
United States

This is a link from one of my you tube posted videos.  Its the best example of the problem I'm having.  I had a ZTE phone I used but upgraded to a Ipad 3 mini and the problem seemed to go away at first. Sorry its a bit ;ong.  You can see the flicker or picture roll is when moving and not always occuring.

2017-6-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Grumpysrb Posted at 2017-6-20 16:37
This is a link from one of my you tube posted videos.  Its the best example of the problem I'm having.  I had a ZTE phone I used but upgraded to a Ipad 3 mini and the problem seemed to go away at first. Sorry its a bit ;ong.  You can see the flicker or picture roll is when moving and not always occuring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dT0RuYu1rw

It seems that you took that footage from your phone or tablet. Yes, it is flickering because it is subject to all types of problems in the transmission from the aircraft to your phone/tablet. It is a low quality preview copy of the material, the real footage is on the SD card in your aircraft, look at that instead.

Either pop the card out of the aircraft, put it in an SD card adapter and copy it to a decent computer, or plug a USB cable into the aircraft and copy the files off the SD card.
2017-6-20
Use props
Grumpysrb
lvl.3
United States

Thing is the video is the same either way, from craft to iPad or from sd card to computer( with cable or card adapter).  You can see the flicker/scrolling while flying.  I can't figure out why it does it, but not all the time.  Seems to do this when I want to record something to post, at least that's when it's most frustrating.  This is my second p3s and the same problem.
2017-6-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Grumpysrb Posted at 2017-6-20 17:46
Thing is the video is the same either way, from craft to iPad or from sd card to computer( with cable or card adapter).  You can see the flicker/scrolling while flying.  I can't figure out why it does it, but not all the time.  Seems to do this when I want to record something to post, at least that's when it's most frustrating.  This is my second p3s and the same problem.

What resolution are you shooting in? This clip is in 720p mode, the lowest possible resolution. This is what makes me think you are getting the clip from your phone. The issues shown on the clip will only happen to video that is transmitted from the aircraft to the phone. The copy on the SD card in the aircraft should never show these problems.

If you want to reply to me, hit the reply button, otherwise I don't know you have replied.
2017-6-20
Use props
Donald R Ward
New

United States

I have a friend named Mark Berg who owns a P4 and is also a professional photographer. I'd suspect it's in your settings but I am newer than you at this. I'll try to connect you two. If you don't hear from him or me soon, look up Mark J Berg on Messenger. There are several. His picture has him with Sunglasses and a Santa hat. I'm not sure if I can share you with him., Faster if you look him up. Tell him Don Ward told you to connect... Hope this helps and do have a Merry Christmas.
2018-12-24
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Grumpysrb Posted at 2017-6-20 17:46

Flicker while flying is as G says - the low resolution video you see on your display. This is not unusual to have pixellation / flicker while flying as you are trying to display a transmitted low res video ...

The SD card though as G says - should have the high res recording and unless you have a fault in camera / gimbal - there should be no flicker or rolling effect.

Just to humour us :

What settings do you use : (I believe you have a P3 Standard ?)

That means max res is 2.7K video ... (I use 1080 on my Standard and also on my Pro - my preference).

How do you transfer your High Res video to your computer for editing ?

Do you ever use the Low Res cached video on your phone / tablet ?

Nigel
2018-12-24
Use props
RedHawk420
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

So card should have no effect
2018-12-24
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

RedHawk420 Posted at 12-24 12:09
So card should have no effect

Not in terms of the effects seem in his video.

But a bad card can corrupt / damage / fail to record properly of course. But then it probably would refuse to play or even transfer from card to PC etc.

Nigel
2018-12-24
Use props
fans39922d3f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14491 ft
United States

I use iPhone 12 Pro to fly the Mavic Air. The iPhone can check the details of videos by swiping up the video screen.  I use DJI 4K to record videos. I found the SD card videos have no sound, file sizes smaller, but the resolution is 4K. The phone videos have sound, bigger file sizes, but the resolution is only 2K.
2022-5-18
Use props
fans39922d3f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14491 ft
United States

fans39922d3f Posted at 5-18 22:11
I use iPhone 12 Pro to fly the Mavic Air. The iPhone can check the details of videos by swiping up the video screen.  I use DJI 4K to record videos. I found the SD card videos have no sound, file sizes smaller, but the resolution is 4K. The phone videos have sound, bigger file sizes, but the resolution is only 2K.

Good answer. I think the phone video's lower resolution is caused by the signal transmission.
2022-5-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans39922d3f Posted at 5-18 22:23
Good answer. I think the phone video's lower resolution is caused by the signal transmission.

Sort of, the video stream is downscaled intentionally at the drone to reduce the transmission bandwidth for sending to the RC unit. The phone has nothing to do with the process.
2022-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules