Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
When will the Phantom 4 get head tracking?!
1649 14 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254646 ft
Canada

I just got my goggles and like many who have the regular Phanotm 4, the head tracking doesn't work and needs a firmware update. Can DJI please get back to us when you'll release this update? I'm not a programmer but seriously, how long does it take to code something like this?! Can we have an update please? I know it can be done since the Pro and Advanced have it! Thanks!
2017-6-19
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

A lot of the cost in the p4a and p4p are in the extra software. There are several intelligent flight modes that the p4 is fully capable of doing but dji will never release an update to give you those ifm's including head tracking. They want you to buy a new phantom 4 a/p. This is why we have Litchi. You can do far more than dji will let you do without an upgrade just by changing apps. Youre never gonna see head tracking without paying more. The spark doesnt even have head tracking. Why, because its to cheap. Its not because its not capable, they just want you to spend more to get those features. Its a messed up market strategy especially since Litchi stole their thunder by bypassing dji altogether. It seems like dji would want to have the best app available so that you have to buy dji products to get the best interface but to get the best interface you dont have to deal with dji. Its really a shame cause dji is really screwing themselves over on this one.
2017-6-19
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Canada

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-19 16:27
A lot of the cost in the p4a and p4p are in the extra software. There are several intelligent flight modes that the p4 is fully capable of doing but dji will never release an update to give you those ifm's including head tracking. They want you to buy a new phantom 4 a/p. This is why we have Litchi. You can do far more than dji will let you do without an upgrade just by changing apps. Youre never gonna see head tracking without paying more. The spark doesnt even have head tracking. Why, because its to cheap. Its not because its not capable, they just want you to spend more to get those features. Its a messed up market strategy especially since Litchi stole their thunder by bypassing dji altogether. It seems like dji would want to have the best app available so that you have to buy dji products to get the best interface but to get the best interface you dont have to deal with dji. Its really a shame cause dji is really screwing themselves over on this one.

Odd the manual said it was supported.
2017-6-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wpgubaru Posted at 2017-6-20 18:15
Odd the manual said it was supported.

Not anymore it doesn't... Check the latest version online.

Some here will have you believing it's a conspiracy that it was advertised with full functionality for a P4, then after the first goggles shipped reference was removed. I don't believe that DJI are malicious, just that they have poor release management and communications (internal and external). They clearly planned to have the new P4 firmware which provided device support for the goggles, but it was delayed - and delayed so long that their release schedule required them to bump that update into the background while they focussed on software required for their new models. That then required them to amend the specs after-the-fact to reduce the level of support documented for the P4. I still believe we'll see the P4 update, but only when DJI have an adequate window to retrofit it with the new fixes released since in the P4P and P4A firmware.

But the real issue is, why do DJI believe it's OK to make changes on the fly like that - which clearly lead early adopters of the goggles who had the P4 to decide to buy it - and then quietly change the doco when they realised they needed to bump the P4 firmware down their schedule? This arrogant attitude to current owners of their product really needs to change. DJI do need to accept that they have not been fair with the customers who agreed to try their beta P4 firmware back in January (and who have been stuck on it since), as well as not fair to those buying the goggles early on who have the P4. Continuing to remain silent on their intent for the P4 firmware is only continuing to encourage animosity in people.
2017-6-20
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

I just dont think its coming. From what I hear the Beta wasnt far from being complete. Everything worked minus a few bugs but im sure those bugs could easily be worked out and were worked out for the p4a that the beta testers were unknowingly testing for. DJI has no motivation to update the p4 firmware to support new features. There is no money to be made but if you buy a new dji product then clearly there is a financial incentive not to release updated firmware. The beta testers can send their p4's in to be replaced. Why would they offer that if if an update is forthcoming? They would just tell you to wait. The p4 doesnt need a firmware upgrade to make the ifm's work. They work just fine with litchi. No firmware needed. Its just my opinion but I dont see a firmware release coming, at least not one that adds ifm's. They owe us a level horizon and we better get it! They dont owe us ifm's but they owe us a gimbal that has a level horizon.
2017-6-21
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-21 04:55
I just dont think its coming. From what I hear the Beta wasnt far from being complete. Everything worked minus a few bugs but im sure those bugs could easily be worked out and were worked out for the p4a that the beta testers were unknowingly testing for. DJI has no motivation to update the p4 firmware to support new features. There is no money to be made but if you buy a new dji product then clearly there is a financial incentive not to release updated firmware. The beta testers can send their p4's in to be replaced. Why would they offer that if if an update is forthcoming? They would just tell you to wait. The p4 doesnt need a firmware upgrade to make the ifm's work. They work just fine with litchi. No firmware needed. Its just my opinion but I dont see a firmware release coming, at least not one that adds ifm's. They owe us a level horizon and we better get it! They dont owe us ifm's but they owe us a gimbal that has a level horizon.

They owe us headtracking for the goggles too. Clearly advertised when they were first sold.
2017-6-21
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-6-21 05:09
They owe us headtracking for the goggles too. Clearly advertised when they were first sold.

I agree 1000%! Its really messed up that the p4 did have head tracking with 3rd party goggles and then all of a sudden it doesnt. Thats just dirty business plain and simple. Im just dumbfounded that they sold goggles under the pretense that all these features would work with the goggles and then quietly change the manual the day they shipped. Thats a serious breach of integraty. Head tracking worked fine. All they gotta do is turn it on, thats it but they wont. They want you to buy a new p4a/p. Thats like giving the finger to all the people that bought p4's. There is absolutely no other reason to explain why it worked and then it doesnt.
2017-6-21
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Canada

I wonder if the minds at Litchi could make their own firmware for the p4 so we get head tracking on the goggles!
2017-6-21
Use props
GrangerFX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I wish DJI understood that we are much more likely to buy new drones if we know that they will get upgraded software features over time. When you buy an iPhone, you get years of iOS updates with new features. Some features are restricted to new hardware but you still get a lot of fun new toys to play with. We are much less likely to buy a drone if we know that all we will get is a few bug fixes and new flight restrictions.
2017-6-21
Use props
CanAmFlyer
lvl.1
United States

Wpgubaru Posted at 2017-6-21 14:12
I wonder if the minds at Litchi could make their own firmware for the p4 so we get head tracking on the goggles!

Litchi doesn't do anything with the drone firmware.
They make an application that talks to and provides direction to the drone.

I don't think it would be prudent for them to re-write the internal firmware that operates the drone.
That would open them up to huge liability issues.

Fly fast...
2017-6-27
Use props
BVB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484652 ft
United States

Head tracking now works on the P4 with the latest firmware update as of a July 6 2017
2017-7-6
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Canada

Meh, still returning them, they change how the p4 flies and I hate it. it's so fidgety now.
2017-7-10
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

BVB Posted at 2017-7-6 19:39
Head tracking now works on the P4 with the latest firmware update as of a July 6 2017

With my Phantom 4 RC connected to the DJI Goggles via USB cable, only Head Tracking Gimbal mode works, with the ability to move the camera left, right, up and down by moving my head in the same direction.  However, when I select Head Tracking Flight mode on the Goggles short-cut options menu, moving my head left and right does not alter the straight forward flight path of the P4 as it should if this mode were functional.  DJI app is updated to 4.1.3 and the P4 is updated to the 2.00.0106 firmware version. Also, with my P4 connected to the DJI Goggles, I was limited to a maximum flight distance of 149 feet from Home Point.

Were you able to get Head Tracking Flight mode to work with your P4? Did you experience any flight distance and/or height restrictions when flying your P4 with the remote connected to the DJI Goggles?

FYI - Both Head Tracking Gimbal and Head Tracking Flight modes work as expected with my P4Pro RC connected to the DJI Goggles. However, there were other issues. First flight I had no distance limitations - I flew P4Pro thousands of feet from home point. On second flight, inexplicably, I was limited to a maximum distance of 149 feet from home point.  VERY BUGGY.
2017-7-14
Use props
BVB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484652 ft
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-14 05:37
With my Phantom 4 RC connected to the DJI Goggles via USB cable, only Head Tracking Gimbal mode works, with the ability to move the camera left, right, up and down by moving my head in the same direction.  However, when I select Head Tracking Flight mode on the Goggles short-cut options menu, moving my head left and right does not alter the straight forward flight path of the P4 as it should if this mode were functional.  DJI app is updated to 4.1.3 and the P4 is updated to the 2.00.0106 firmware version. Also, with my P4 connected to the DJI Goggles, I was limited to a maximum flight distance of 149 feet from Home Point.

Were you able to get Head Tracking Flight mode to work with your P4? Did you experience any flight distance and/or height restrictions when flying your P4 with the remote connected to the DJI Goggles?

Hi,

I am experiencing the exact same results with my P4 connected with the Goggles. Head tracking for gimbal only. No head tracking for flight when selected. Also, I am limited in flight height and distance (similar to beginner mode) when I connect with Goggles. However, if I connect with my iPad first and then unplug the iPad and plug in the goggles, there are no "beginner mode" flight restrictions in height and distance thus I am able to fly as high and far as the settings call for (whatever I have set height and distance limit).

On another note, I have noticed some slight intermittent video interruptions while flying since doing the last firmware update and have read plenty of similar complaints. I am thinking about getting the Titan Drone Conquer antenna. Do you have any thoughts on 3rd party antennas?

Happy flying brother
2017-7-21
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
Greece

BVB Posted at 2017-7-21 15:24
Hi,

I am experiencing the exact same results with my P4 connected with the Goggles. Head tracking for gimbal only. No head tracking for flight when selected. Also, I am limited in flight height and distance (similar to beginner mode) when I connect with Goggles. However, if I connect with my iPad first and then unplug the iPad and plug in the goggles, there are no "beginner mode" flight restrictions in height and distance thus I am able to fly as high and far as the settings call for (whatever I have set height and distance limit).

Frankly, I do not recommend the use of any 3rd-party antenna that requires wiring mods to the RC. With a simple, $30 aluminum parabolic reflector that slips on over behind the two vertical antenna, I can fly my P3Pro, P4 and P4Pro to the limits of the ability of the battery to be able to fly out to 20,000+ feet and back safely. The parabolic reflector I use is the WindSurfer - no RC mods required, no potential voiding of warranty or damaging your RC, no muss, no fuss, and it packs easily in the front compartment of the P4 and P4Pro foam transport case.

WindSurfer Aluminum Parabolic Antenna Reflector for DJI Phantom Aircraft
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules