Saga of one buggy piece of DJI software after another
1801 8 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Senorpablo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 407323 ft
United States

Got my DJI Goggles today after waiting nearly two months. Yay? No--complete waste of 6 hours and counting.
Turned the goggles on and followed instructions, first task was to link them with my Mavic. Turn on my Mavic and controller, and I get a flight database needs to be updated nag screen. That errors out and I don't see anything regarding that again. Next is the New firmware available warning, which today as in the past, always seems to appear at the worst possible time(right before a flight, got new goggles, etc). The Firmware update error's out about 75% with reason: 0x640d0103. Try four more times with the same result.

I decide to try another route and Install the DJI Assistant 2. The Windows install is frought with warning and error dialogs, such as unrecognized publisher and driver isntallation warnings (the driver information text was all in Chinese). Then I have to dig out the one USB cable that came with my Mavic because standard micro USB cables won't plug into the Mavic correctly. At this point I'm using that cable to charge my controller which is dead from an hours woth of failed firmware update attempts. After several try's the Mavic finally connects to DJI Assistant and I'm able to get it updated to the latest firmware--at least in the eyes of DJI Assistant. Restart and connect to the remote controller. New firmware available, even though assistant assures me I have the latest firmware. Connect the controller to DJI Assistant to try and update that, and it's really flakey to get Assitant to recognize it, more so than the Mavic. You have to start Assistant and get everything plugged in, and only then turn on the controller for it to connect properly. Controller updated to latest firmware. Restart everything and still New firmware available!

Read various forums and try several random suggestions including erasing the SD card, uninstalling the DJI Go 4 app and all it's folders and re-installing, turning off wi-fi, downgrading firmware to previous versions on drone and controller, etc. and repeat the various steps above many times.

Not getting anywhere with the Mavic, let's get back to the goggles. They link up fine with the Mavic, but they will not activate. Try this a dozen times, same result. Try to activate them with DJI Assistant and it fails repeatedly there also.

Six hours down the drain, and not only do the goggles not work, now my drones firmware won't update so I can't fly over 10 meters high and 50 meters away. As an ironic aside the return to home altitude gets forced to 0 because it can't be set to less than 20 meters, but that's higher than the 10m altitude limit as a result of not having the latest firmware.

2017-6-19
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

I couldn't believe the dji assistant was all in Chinese and as you say, threw up multiple warnings including driver issues and unreliable source. Staggering for such a large company.
2017-6-20
Use props
Senorpablo
lvl.2
United States

Jenkins Posted at 2017-6-20 07:06
I couldn't believe the dji assistant was all in Chinese and as you say, threw up multiple warnings including driver issues and unreliable source. Staggering for such a large company.

Just to clarify, DJI Assistant isn't in Chinese, just the Windows drivers descriptions that get installed with it are.
2017-6-20
Use props
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Ain't Drone Life Great . . . .
2017-6-20
Use props
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Did you get it to work?  I have some Goggle Eyes coming, you're scaring me!
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sometimes you just need to relax and start from the beginning, you are sounding a bit uptight many many users haven't had any of these problems, you knew your goggles were arriving maybe it would have been wiser to already have firmware updated, also your wrong about restrictions 30 meter high 50 meter distance.
2017-6-20
Use props
Senorpablo
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-20 10:42
Sometimes you just need to relax and start from the beginning, you are sounding a bit uptight many many users haven't had any of these problems, you knew your goggles were arriving maybe it would have been wiser to already have firmware updated, also your wrong about restrictions 30 meter high 50 meter distance.

I guess I am uptight after wasting 6 hours; having $2000+ of drone bricked. Perhaps if you read my post, you'd understand that I did in fact take a step back, and have tried many avenues several times. Furthermore, if you read the forums and elsewhere, you'd know these issues are not out of the ordinary. I'm glad you're not having the experience I am, but I assure you that you are not immune. I hadn't had any firmware or activation issues with my DJI Drones until yesterday.

The goggles won't activate regardless of the firmware issues I'm having with the Mavic.

And, you're wrong about the maximum flight altitude bug I described. I just tried it again. It defaults to 0, and if I set it to anything over 20 it says: "Failsafe RTH alititude cannot exceed maximum flight altitude." If I try and set it to 15, or anything lower than 20, it says: "Failed to set. Input number in the range." Additionally, the input text field is buggy.

I've been a software developer for over twenty years so I know bugs and crappy software when I see it.  I've described in some detail legitimate issues. Your armchair editorials are not constructive nor helpful.
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Senorpablo Posted at 2017-6-20 13:33
I guess I am uptight after wasting 6 hours; having $2000+ of drone bricked. Perhaps if you read my post, you'd understand that I did in fact take a step back, and have tried many avenues several times. Furthermore, if you read the forums and elsewhere, you'd know these issues are not out of the ordinary. I'm glad you're not having the experience I am, but I assure you that you are not immune. I hadn't had any firmware or activation issues with my DJI Drones until yesterday.

The goggles won't activate regardless of the firmware issues I'm having with the Mavic.

Here is the information on restrictions. You didn't ask for help you were just ranting.

Notice of firmware update
1/ after latest firmware update,your flight altitude and distance will be limited to 30 m and 50 m respectively, if you start flying without first connecting to a dji compatible app and logging into your dji account.
2/ if you are not satisfied with this update you can revert to older firmware using dji Assistant 2
                    IGNORE.                    AGREE.   
2017-6-20
Use props
Senorpablo
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-20 13:41
Here is the information on restrictions. You didn't ask for help you were just ranting.

Notice of firmware update

You're right, I was ranting. I tried to do it in an accurate way however, so that perhaps other people including the folks at DJI could be informed. Staying silent does nothing to improve the DJI experience for others. The software QA is very poor. It's clear that the more platforms they try to support the more they are falling on their faces trying to jam in features and rush it out the door to meet product launches.

Regardless of what the text says about the flight restrictions, the bug in the RTH setting remains.
2017-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules