Spark Fly away gesture not working
10596 24 2017-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Horanmeister
lvl.1
Flight distance : 225538 ft
United Kingdom

I have tried all sorts to get this gesture to work but only twice has it understood me.

I've tried waving my hand in all directions to no avail which kind of ruins the fun of taking a nice selfie with the family or friends.

Watched a few YouTube videos and mine definitely doesn't read the gesture.

Any ideas fellow drone pilots?
2017-6-20
Use props
Numptee Nuts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144 ft
United Kingdom

Same issue here. I am using the remote.

I let the spark take off from my hands with no issues. I can hand control it from left to right but it will not go back into tracking mode by waving at it. My phone states the drone is in gesture mode but doesnt do anything.

I have upgraded to latest firmware and software. No Joy.
2017-6-20
Use props
fansc023c37d
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Same issue,

Have you updated the firmware, I've just updated mine and going to test it out soon
2017-6-20
Use props
Horanmeister
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fansc023c37d Posted at 2017-6-20 02:57
Same issue,

Have you updated the firmware, I've just updated mine and going to test it out soon

I'm just doing a video with my go pro to demonstrate the issue to DJI support.

unless there is a new firmware today I'm on the latest.

regasrds

Mat
2017-6-20
Use props
fansc023c37d
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Horanmeister Posted at 2017-6-20 06:02
I'm just doing a video with my go pro to demonstrate the issue to DJI support.

unless there is a new firmware today I'm on the latest.

Let us know what DJI Support think.

In the meantime i plan to practice the fly away feature later, I'll let you know if I have any luck

Regards
Adam.
2017-6-20
Use props
Horanmeister
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Heres the private link to my video showing the issues  
2017-6-20
Use props
Horanmeister
lvl.1
United Kingdom

number 31 in the queue!
2017-6-20
Use props
fansc023c37d
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Try this video here:

Apparently you have to wait until it's red and then do the next gesture. After moving from side to side, put your hand down, wait until red, then lift your hand and arm up to wave straight away.

I'm at work so can't try this right now
2017-6-20
Use props
BigJon923
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

The mistake I was making was "waving" like I was waving goodbye. You have to keep your arm stiff, and wave back and forth on a straight line. Once I did this, it worked every time.
2017-6-20
Use props
Horanmeister
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I will try this.  The DGI online guy was the worst I've ever spoken to.  I explained was 'away and follow', he went away for a few minutes then come back and asked if it was a hand gesture problem.  I was worried at this point for obvious reasons!  I'll try what you have recommended.  thanks for the links.
2017-6-20
Use props
Horanmeister
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Horanmeister Posted at 2017-6-20 07:18
I will try this.  The DGI online guy was the worst I've ever spoken to.  I explained was 'away and follow', he went away for a few minutes then come back and asked if it was a hand gesture problem.  I was worried at this point for obvious reasons!  I'll try what you have recommended.  thanks for the links.

RIGHT........

I have got this 80% cracked now......  They don't want you accidentally sending it into away and follow thats  for sure!!

Get the drone in the air off your palm then position it with a gesture as normal.  When you have finished this bring your arm to your side quickly as if your sergeant major has just told you to stand to alert.  Then bring your arm up and wave straight away in one action whilst keeping everything else as still as a wax work at Madam Tussauds.

If anyone is still having issue I'll make a video because to be honest the ones I've watched are not that great especially the DJI one.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans8c349a91
New
United States

From playing with it today, seems the gestures have to be pretty deliberate. Don't just wave at it quickly, like you're waving goodbye. You need to keep your fingers together and move your hand back and forth, relatively slowly. Also helps to return to a neural position and give the spark a few seconds to catch up before giving the next command.
2017-6-22
Use props
landrian18
lvl.2
United States

Horanmeister Posted at 2017-6-20 06:35
Heres the private link to my video showing the issues  https://youtu.be/2JcwlG1prfg

try not to wave vertically and do it horizontal wave and slowly..
2017-6-22
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

Once it is recognising your palm, wave at it smoothly and then hold your palm in front, it will then back up and start tracking ready for your selfie.
2017-6-22
Use props
sibu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

fansc023c37d Posted at 2017-6-20 06:49
Try this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNk_osYGObU

Apparently you have to wait until it's red and then do the next gesture. After moving from side to side, put your hand down, wait until red, then lift your hand and arm up to wave straight away.

You must ensure that GPS signal is active for the gesture mode to work properly.  The front GREEN signal will become active once the face is recognized and the GPS signal is locked .

Every video I have seen out there regarding DJI gesture control operation fails to mention this point during activation of the gesture function !!
2017-6-25
Use props
sibu
Second Officer
Kuwait

fans8c349a91 Posted at 2017-6-22 02:15
From playing with it today, seems the gestures have to be pretty deliberate. Don't just wave at it quickly, like you're waving goodbye. You need to keep your fingers together and move your hand back and forth, relatively slowly. Also helps to return to a neural position and give the spark a few seconds to catch up before giving the next command.

You must ensure that GPS signal is active for the gesture mode to work properly.  The front GREEN signal will become active once the face is recognized and the GPS signal is locked .

Every video I have seen out there regarding DJI gesture control operation fails to mention this point during activation of the gesture function !!
2017-6-25
Use props
sibu
Second Officer
Kuwait

fansc023c37d Posted at 2017-6-20 06:49
Try this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNk_osYGObU

2017-6-25
Use props
sibu
Second Officer
Kuwait

fansc023c37d Posted at 2017-6-20 02:57
Same issue,

2017-6-25
Use props
sibu
Second Officer
Kuwait

You must ensure that GPS signal is active for the gesture mode to work properly.  The front GREEN signal will become active once the face is recognized and the GPS signal is locked .  Every video I have seen out there regarding DJI gesture control operation fails to mention this point during activation of the gesture function !!
2017-6-25
Use props
BVO
New
Switzerland

Hello,
The gesture mode does not work properly, it works 1 in 6 faith.
Unusable for the moment
The other mode with Smartphone or remote control no problem.
Good reading, best Regards
Beat
2017-7-3
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284770 ft
United States

BigJon923 Posted at 2017-6-20 07:12
Away and Follow

The mistake I was making was "waving" like I was waving goodbye. You have to keep your arm stiff, and wave back and forth on a straight line. Once I did this, it worked every time.

I'll try this too, as for me it was 1 in 5 . Will update tomorrow  how it went
2017-7-4
Use props
Smikee
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i can assure you that if you perform the "wave" like in the above video it works EVERY time. I have been really disappointed with my spark trying to do this for ages and researched loads of times but i saw this and went home and did 4 perfect fly aways in a row and now i am made up. Way to go!
2017-7-18
Use props
fans6f4d9ee8
New

United States

Help. My issue is it won't even go into face recognition mode. I turn on, wait for everything to warm up, tap 2 times and the front lights just blink red 2 times and then solid red. Back lights flashing yellow as transmission lost.
2017-7-23
Use props
fans6f4d9ee8
New

United States

Btw. I have the flu more combo.
2017-7-23
Use props
drone-o-rama
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118 ft
United States

There seems to be one big misunderstanding regarding PalmControl: it's MODAL.  When you're positioning the drone via PalmControl you will note that the front status lights are solid green, indicating that it is tracking your palm.  If you want to perform a different gesture, you must first end PalmControl.  Easiest way to do this is to quickly drop your hand to your side - the drone will essentially lose track of your palm and PalmControl will end, as evidenced by the front status lights returning to solid RED.  THEN you can perform the next gesture (such as Fly Away).

I had limited experience with my Spark before having to send it in for other problems, but following this approach gave me very reliable, consistent results with gesture control.
2017-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules