Stupid mistakes to avoid with inspire 1
3073 19 2015-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kevin
lvl.1

United States

Hopefully you've never made any of these mistakes, but in the hopes that others can learn from my dumber moves....

1.Get the Inspire in perfect position for the shot, sun at its back, an incredbile subject of a seal fighting a pelican for a fish, film it to the limits of battery life past the warnings, and finally bring it back to terra firma at the alst minute for a landing, then forget to stop recording before you power off the unit....footage lost.

2. Perfectly plan and time a shot of tracking a train on a parallell run, waiting patiently for the train, then executing a flawless parallell flight at full speed with the camera panned off to the train on the right, beautifully following the train and then seeing it slowly speed away, moments before you realize you didn't press the record button.

feel free to share dumb things not to do with your Inspire 1

2015-3-15
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would strongly advise that you do not deliberately let your battery level fall below 20%. It is not good for the battery at all...

I have also forgotten to stop recording. I have developed a routine for flying which involves a bunch of checks. Checking video status is one of them
2015-3-15
Use props
argykaraz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1108356 ft
Greece

Even if you dont stop recording and turn off the inspire and you realise it at home, hopefully there is a solution. Charge the inspire but dont touch the sd card. When the battery is fully charged (since you depleted the battery, which I would recomend never do that), put it back in the inspire. Insert the sd card in the camera and turn on the bird. Wait 15 seconds and turn it off. Your file is ok now.
2015-3-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kevin,

This is SO true!! I have already managed to do both of your examples. It is a bummer being a walking human error..

The preflight check list is helping me. I think we need cue cards...
2015-3-15
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Exactly ! This has happened to me with my phantom 2 even when I thought I'd planned it all only to forget to turn on the GoPro before take off when filming last years fireworks display , and a few other times with no epic footage upon landing .. At least with the inspire you can stop and start the cam ... Hopefully dji will address this loss of video upon landing ... The same thing in reverse ??
2015-3-15
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568819 ft
Germany

I have also forgotten to stop recording. I have developed a routine for flying which involves a bunch of checks. Checking video status is one of them.

Can you please post your checklist?
2015-3-15
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kevin, we all learn by making mistakes in everything. Mistakes are the best lessons you will ever experience because a mistake is burnt into you mind and not doing it a second time becomes second nature and you will avoid it without even thinking about it. Just like eye/hand reactions.
2015-3-15
Use props
kevin
lvl.1

United States

mistakes are definitely a vital part of the learning process, and I think its somewhat easier to appreciate them with a little self deprecating humor about the dumb mistakes we occasionally make.

I'm using checklists now and not only do a preflight, but also a pre-leave-home, nothing worse than driving to a great location and waiting for just the right light only to realize that you forgot to pack the iPad and your iPhone doesn't have the DJI app on it, nor does it have a data signal in this beautiful but remote filming location!
2015-3-18
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

Well... For me, almost losing a video file just because I forget to stop recording is a no-go and should be fixed by DJI. As a professional programmer I know that the so called file finalization process is part of the file handling process and should never depend on the enduser.

In this case the standard and (very) simplyfied process would be:

1.) User starts recording > video file is created > video data is written to video file.
2a. ) User stops recording > after the last video data are written into the video file, video file is closed (finalized).
2b.) System shut down initiated (because battery empty, user switched off device, etc.) > after the last video data are written into the video file, video file is closed (finalized) > initiate system shut down.

The issue here seems to be
1.) only 2a.) is considerated.
2.) 2b.) does not work as it should.

As I sayed before, this kind of processes should be handled by the operating system (firmware) itself, not by the enduser.

2015-3-18
Use props
johnmont250
lvl.3

United States

one guy(not me, yet) i heard about went to take his micro sd card out, and it shot like 6 ft out of the trunk and landed in lush green grass never to be seen again.  the spring is strong....
2015-3-18
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

I agree, shutdown process should include finalizing and stopping recording before shutting off completely. Totally programmable and should be addressed by DJI in a firmware update.
2015-3-18
Use props
huppeencoyote69
lvl.2

Netherlands

ge0se Posted at 2015-3-19 03:41
I agree, shutdown process should include finalizing and stopping recording before shutting off compl ...

Hopefully around 2017
2015-3-18
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

brianmlevy@me.c Posted at 2015-3-16 00:45
I would strongly advise that you do not deliberately let your battery level fall below 20%. It is no ...

Battery care in manual says to ensure you completely drain your battery on every 10th charge....
2015-3-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

brianmlevy@me.c Posted at 2015-3-16 00:45
I would strongly advise that you do not deliberately let your battery level fall below 20%. It is no ...

Why would they suggest emptying your battery to as low as 7% every 10 charges? To ruin your battery faster?
2015-3-18
Use props
ChadAustin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another thing to avoid- I find that when I flying in places where I'm nervous (over water, ravines, etc) that I tend to forget to raise my landing gear. I've gotten better. lol
2015-3-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

That's a good one Chad! It looks like it will topple over with the gear down. My stupid pilot thing seems to be forgetting to turn of wifi. It does make a difference!
2015-3-18
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

Talking about turning off WiFi... Would be great if the DJI Pilot App optionaly alerted you that WiFi is on before starting the engines or even when starting the App. Please consider implementing this, DJI
2015-3-19
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

kevin@thinkpsa. Posted at 2015-3-19 02:53
mistakes are definitely a vital part of the learning process, and I think its somewhat easier to app ...

I agree with you there Kevin a pre- leaving home checklist is a good idea. I went out to take shots at a Castle Cornet in the middle of the night all lit up with floodlights. Preparing to get some awesome pictures, setup the I1 ready to take off, NO SD card! It was still at home in my pc!
What a Plum!
2015-3-19
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-19 11:02
Why would they suggest emptying your battery to as low as 7% every 10 charges? To ruin your batter ...

I always bring my batteries down around 7% and let them cool for a few hours or even a day or two before recharging. I get great battery life and once recharged they are a full capacity as new.
2015-3-19
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

Thats odd. I've forgot to stop recording mutiple times before shutting down. None of my footage has ever been lost.
I guess I got the luck of the draw.

I have also forgot to press record all together....
Wasn't my happiest moment. lol
2015-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules