Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: Are You Going to Use the Prop Guards?
18049 198 2017-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Firecat83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89974 ft
United States

Yes I use  them, as the landing gear is very low and may hit the props if Spark tilts
2017-8-16
Use props
Didiko
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18399 ft
Belgium

Good point.

I don't fly indoors but I use them for sure when using the gesture mode.

Find it pretty useful honestly.
2017-8-16
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1691749 ft
Italy

Depends on the environment; yes if I'm planning to fly near obstacles, no otherwise
2017-8-17
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

The DJI site now offers new "Hand Guards" by Pgytech.  They look more functional in order to protect your fingers/hands while catching the Spark in the air.
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 11.05.15 AM.png
2017-8-18
Use props
tonicboy
lvl.1
Indonesia

I've used them a few times when I was learning how to fly.  In the future, I may use them indoors but in general they are inconvenient and don't help that much.  Plus, I'm super annoyed that they don't fit in the carrying case that comes with the Fly More combo.  If they did, I would probably use them more.
2017-8-18
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Outdoors with over 5 MPH winds... The Prop Guards are Not so great because of the REDUCED flight time. also Not fully protected when palm landing your drone!
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

First few flights probably will be with the prop guards, but I think mainly indoors
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jimmers Posted at 2017-8-18 07:07
The DJI site now offers new "Hand Guards" by Pgytech.  They look more functional in order to protect your fingers/hands while catching the Spark in the air.

I have not seen that before. Seems just for the palm actions.
2017-8-24
Use props
Ace Flysome
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37671 ft
United States

I'll use them if it's going to be flown indoors or if a newbie is going to fly it.  i've had some people that didn't really want to risk flying it until i told them i'd put the guards on and set it to beginner mode.
2017-8-24
Use props
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

Indoors, certainly. Outdoors, not really. Although, what I like about prop guards is that, if you did do a control stick cut off and you dropped your AC out of the air in an emergency, those prop guards would absorb force that would likely break LED cups, arms, or the gimbal. I rather like that. There's no solid predictor how a spark will land from a fall. There's a lot of variables regarding the physics and what not. The top and bottom of the aircraft are not particularly protected, unless you've a PVC decal or silicon rubber cover. But, why not enhance the odds of less damage to the expensive components, and relegate most of the damage to prop guards you can replace quite easily at $7 a pop, off eBay? Apparently, pilots who can fly in Atti mode, or accomplished pilots in general are not immune to fly-aways, compass or IMU, reception errors anyway. And, if you have the good fortune of finding your drone with minimal damage on land, I'd rather have the prop guards snapped than something else on the AC. I'll play it by ear depending on where I fly, but I actually don't mind a few minutes putting them on when I do.
2017-8-27
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nope, sold my props and the bag locally for $40.
2017-8-27
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-27 10:30
Nope, sold my props and the bag locally for $40.

smart move!  the Prop Guards profit can go towards and extra battery!  I really hate them because the Spark will fly so much better without them! plus reduced flight times!
2017-8-28
Use props
djiuser_8HokYWw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188064 ft
Jersey

I will keep them on as I am a new to droning . Open spaces will take then off eventually but I think they will always be in my bag
2017-8-28
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm still flying with the prop guards every flight.  I've been tempted to ditch them, and test how much of an increase there is in my flight time (due to shedding the extra weight).  But I have one fear, that is born out by experience:  Every time I've had some kind of accident with a craft (never with the spark yet), it's been because I've compromised on some regulation or some form of safety.  That's just me, and everybody else can fly as they see fit.  But every time I have tempted fate, fate has kicked me hard.
2017-8-28
Use props
Centraltooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76539 ft
Thailand

I only keep them on when I fly indoors as I find them quite cumbersome to pack
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

When you are indoor, using propeller guard will be safer. We would recommend you fly in an open place if you don't mount it.
2017-9-1
Use props
Tonybromley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 461470 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe use them whilst flying indoors
2017-9-2
Use props
Tonybromley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 461470 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe use them whilst flying indoors
2017-9-2
Use props
djiuser_IOHDiID
Flight distance : 1096 ft
United Kingdom

in calm conditions or indoors I may use them, I have found they disturb the sparks Stability in disturbed air
2017-9-5
Use props
Jr 5542
lvl.3
United States

I use them indoors or doing gesture modes. Just for safety purposes.
2017-9-5
Use props
yogiardana
New
Flight distance : 202894 ft
Indonesia

Nope, look nice without it.
2017-9-5
Use props
NukeSpark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11033 ft
Gibraltar

Something like this should come as standard.... its a joke having to pay for something regarding safety especially from a drone that has palm launch
2017-9-5
Use props
Nick779
lvl.2
Flight distance : 459610 ft
United States

I use mine for indoor flights, low altitude flights around objects, and when using gestures.

Anything in wind or longer range, they come off. (Extra drag)
2017-9-6
Use props
djiuser_926gVAR
New
United States

Yes. Money don't grow on trees but my props will wrap around one
2017-9-6
Use props
Thedonsza
First Officer
Flight distance : 7951273 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I would use them when flying indoors..... I'm scared of the "Vortex" effect.
2017-9-6
Use props
Goathearder
lvl.1
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-6-21 09:32
I don't plan on using them.....they are just something more to take extra time preparing to fly.  Additionally, the Spark won't fit in the FLY MORE bag with them installed so it takes time to take them off in order to pack up the Spark when you are done flying.  I love how quick the Spark can be taken out of the bag to take a quick shot without having to do much more than turn it on.

I am on the same boat here with them not fitting well in the bag so I'll probably never use them unless I'm flying inside my house with the kids around.  They are easy to take on an off but if I can't transport them easily whats the point.
2017-9-6
Use props
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

Yesterday I successfully managed to get my Spark stuck 50 feet up in a ficus/baobab tree. I wonʻt blame the drone, and I have no problem owning this miscalculation, although Iʻd cite a good gust of trade wind at the wrong time. The wind and getting blinded by the sun culminated in the perfect circumstances. I should have forseen this.

At any rate after asking a park service worker on a cushman, the Life Guard, and the mobile emergency service for a long pole or cherry picker, or rope, they all declined to assist. I donʻt blame the emergency folks, really, they need to save drowners.

After baby sitting it for two hours, getting accustomed to what 500 bucks looks like up in a tree, I went home and returned with a rope, and whilst making something along the likes of a grapple to hook on to the branch and shake it, the Spark fell and impacted two feet away, having been dislodged by the same trade winds. Hearing it, I almost wouldnʻt have minded it hitting me, what with karma being neatly squared up. There again, Iʻm glad it didnʻt.

It landed camera first onto the firm dirt. I expected a refresh scenario, but the Spark was remarkably unscathed! The prop guards, which protrude well ahead of the front arms and camera, seemed to have acted like leaf springs, and cracked at the junction of the mount on the light cup. It was no worse for wear and just a little dusty. Tested it thoroghly exhausting the last two batteries and its fine.

What with unexpected inexplicable falls of the drone due to whatever reason, including pilot error, Iʻd have to say, using prop guards canʻt be beat at mitigating damage.
2017-9-18
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

NO, they are big and slow me down. Do anyone who uses them see a difference in battery/flight time?
2017-9-18
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not really, it just put extra weight on the drone and drains battery life faster.
2017-9-18
Use props
Koppo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191726 ft
Germany

when flying in the forest or indoors.
2017-9-19
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Koppo Posted at 2017-9-19 06:37
when flying in the forest or indoors.

Koppo, have you observed a difference in battery duration/stamina when flying with and without the guards?  I always run with the guards, and have no data to make any comparison.  If so, do you have an idea of the difference?
2017-9-19
Use props
Koppo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191726 ft
Germany

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-19 07:07
Koppo, have you observed a difference in battery duration/stamina when flying with and without the guards?  I always run with the guards, and have no data to make any comparison.  If so, do you have an idea of the difference?

I have not noticed any difference. I also stuck a loc8tor chip to the drone, so its heavier some grams. Frankly, I rarely drain the battery empty completely, my longest flight was  13m 33s. I usually take the shots that I planned to do and then I land with mostly, over 30% battery.
2017-9-19
Use props
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

Not sure where the concern is regarding that "it slows me down". Granted, Iʻm sure it creates drag, but look at the usage context. This isnʻt a race drone. Iʻve been practicing on how to actually move slower and steadily without tripod mode to capture video, moving "slow" isnʻt exactly a deal breaker. The prop guards can certainly impair your flight if youʻre in sport mode pretending to be a ZMR250 with 2204s. And apparently, as far as draining battery isnʻt an issue if youʻve several others. I bet this guy likes prop guards...

http://digg.com/video/drone-bare-hands
2017-9-19
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I am going out over the water on an endurance test I take off the prop guards, fly with them on when I'm near land.
2017-10-6
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

One thing I think I have noticed is that the prop guards seem to reduce the noise of Spark radiating out horizontally.  I know they saved me on one of my early flights when I had the RTH altitude set to the default.  Spark came home, but when I watched the movie I could see if fly straight into a cedar tree branches, watch it coming then violent camera pans what looked like almost sideways video then it was okay, it righted itself and flew home.  After seeing the video I checked the props and two had small tears in them and when I dismounted them one of them only had one of the two tabs still attached.  So lucky I didn't lose a prop and caught it on inspecting after flight damage.  I noticed that torn props make Spark scream a little as it flies by.  I check props now prior to any take off.
2017-10-6
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ideal for those who feel the need to use beginner mode who are new to flying drones and best practice for indoor flight and when around people and buildings such as a family BBQ. They also add confidence when using gesture controls such as palm launch. That said, I leave them at home.  
2017-10-7
Use props
headshot9
lvl.3
United States

Great for indoor, not really needed outside. Unless you are flying in close proximity to objects/people (why?)
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use them 100% of the time when flying indoors only.
2017-10-16
Use props
doZer the ogre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78563 ft
United States

i may put them on if i have someone new flying the old spark indoors or something... the way i figure the extra stuff drops the mpg...
2017-10-16
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

I'm always using them for the moment, have had the Spark for a couple of weeks son need more confidence in flying, and they have saved me a couple of times now to lose any of my propellers with trees...so yep good idea to wear them on so far. Have not tryed to fly without so don't know the real difference in speed and manouverbility.
2017-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules