Bricked my spark on firmware update
6434 30 2017-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans56eb1644
lvl.1
United States

Got the machine today, everything seems okay and I start to perform firmware upgrade.
The upgrade stuck at 99% and then just stuck there.
After a few min, I decided to reboot. And ... that's it.

Machine will turn on, with music, flashing yellow...

But that's it, no wifi, won't respond to battery power button....

And no, DJI assistance won't find the machine, other than showing SD card content...

I have not even fly it once.....

what a sad day....

any idea? I have tried to find manual download link for the firmware so thsat I can use SD card to update firmware, but I can't find anyting download link....

2017-6-21
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Did you registered and activated your account? If yes, then you need to link your AC first, then link your RC second., then remove your app, and reinstall. Turn your phone on, turn off your bluetooth, connect to RC WIFI, turn on app if you receive the message to update DO NOT UPDATE. Try to fly if you are up and running, then shut down turn on everything if it asked to update, update but make sure you have FAST WIFI. Good luck!
2017-6-21
Use props
sibu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Ill post a video of the firmware update soon ..
2017-6-21
Use props
fans56eb1644
lvl.1
United States

I am the E Posted at 2017-6-21 21:06
Did you registered and activated your account? If yes, then you need to link your AC first, then link your RC second., then remove your app, and reinstall. Turn your phone on, turn off your bluetooth, connect to RC WIFI, turn on app if you receive the message to update DO NOT UPDATE. Try to fly if you are up and running, then shut down turn on everything if it asked to update, update but make sure you have FAST WIFI. Good luck!

The Drone does not have wifi, with sold red on two and fast flashing yellow on another two propeller. RC connection can't be established and won't accept Wifi reset.

I'm at loss as what to do? I have requested a exchange but feel that this will take forever to do...
2017-6-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We are sorry to hear about the firmware upgrading issue you're faced with.
Please help us confirm the following info:
1. You purchased Spark or Spark combo? You upgraded it with controller connected or not?
2. Any responses when connecting the aircraft to PC?
3. How about the aircraft LED status after rebooting it?
4. Please try to upgrade it again if you have another battery, thank you very much!

2017-6-21
Use props
fans56eb1644
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-6-21 23:51
We are sorry to hear about the firmware upgrading issue you're faced with.
Please help us confirm the following info:
1. You purchased Spark or Spark combo? You upgraded it with controller connected or not?

Hi Natalia,
I purchased the Spark Combo. When I upgrade, it is with the controller connected. RC is connected to AC and I was able to activate the aircraft using the phone app. Prompt to upgrade AC first, so I did that, but progress stuck at 99%, and after awhile, I realize the RC controller is disconnected from AC as well. I reboot and then the drone is unresponsive.

No, when connect to PC, PC will signal something is connected but no response from DJI assistance app. If I have SD card plugged in, it will show up in PC as well.

The aircraft LED stays at fast flashing yellow on back propeller and solid red on the font.

Tried with fresh battery, same result.....

I have tried on 3 PCs, two with Win10 and one with Win7.
2017-6-22
Use props
fans66a8198b
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I had a simular experience. The Firmware upgrade stopped at 99% and i thought it had locked up on the phone. However, after being patient and waiting for 10min it finished.
2017-6-22
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have to be patient and let it does its thing. I guess when you rebooted the copter before it finished its update you bricked it. Sorry.
2017-6-22
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

mine stuck on 99% as well but all i had to do was connect the drone to my phone again after downloading the update then it completed, i used my phone to do the whole update instead of using my computer.
2017-6-22
Use props
fans56eb1644
lvl.1
United States

Thor1 Posted at 2017-6-22 08:17
mine stuck on 99% as well but all i had to do was connect the drone to my phone again after downloading the update then it completed, i used my phone to do the whole update instead of using my computer.

I was expecting this as well, I have not seen anyone bricking the drone with failed firmware update. But after this, I can't find any wifi signal from the drone and seems like it is broken
2017-6-22
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

My firmware upgrade stopped at 99% as well and said to reconnect to wifi and it completed as soon as I did that.  
2017-6-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans56eb1644 Posted at 2017-6-22 08:33
I was expecting this as well, I have not seen anyone bricking the drone with failed firmware update. But after this, I can't find any wifi signal from the drone and seems like it is broken

Please try to reset the WiFi then check again, press the power button for about 9 seconds after the aircraft finish self-check.
Please keep us posted, thank you very much!
2017-6-22
Use props
fans56eb1644
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-6-22 18:22
Please try to reset the WiFi then check again, press the power button for about 9 seconds after the aircraft finish self-check.

Thanks for your help. The power button no longer respond and won't beep 3/6/9 seconds and no wifi signals. I have requested for replacement and will ship the package back to DJI tomorrow.
thanks for your support!
2017-6-22
Use props
fans56eb1644
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-6-22 18:22

UPS send me shipping label by email, but I have no instruction from DJI for my case yet. should I wait or should I just send it out using the UPS shipping label?
my case number is CAS-733897-B3V7J6 
2017-6-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans56eb1644 Posted at 2017-6-22 21:14
UPS send me shipping label by email, but I have no instruction from DJI for my case yet. should I wait or should I just send it out using the UPS shipping label?
my case number is CAS-733897-B3V7J6 

Please send it out with UPS shipping label, we will take care of it after it arrives, sincerely sorry for the trouble caused.
2017-6-23
Use props
Tamborrel
lvl.1
Mexico

I have exactly the same problem.  I did the same steps as you, and got the same result.  I contacted DJI support by phone and the asked me to change cables, change batteries, use a different computer, delete and re-install assistant 2 and Go4, and still the Spark is not detected by neither Assistant 2 or the remote, or the phone.  Same solid red on front and yellow blinking in the rear LEDs.  When turning off, the fourth LED in the battery blinks about 23 times before turning off.   DJI phone support asked me to contact DJI e-mail support to get a repair ticket, which I did, and obtained an automated reply that because of the Chinese new year, they will not start replying messages until after the 21st of February.  
2018-2-18
Use props
hg87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117123 ft
Australia

you can actually see and hear it go through the motors one at a time in the finishing stages of the update. motors turn red one at a time and briefly vibrate. good indication the update is running, it is indeed on 99% for quite a while.
2018-2-18
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

you are not the only one
2018-2-19
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tamborrel Posted at 2018-2-18 19:28
I have exactly the same problem.  I did the same steps as you, and got the same result.  I contacted DJI support by phone and the asked me to change cables, change batteries, use a different computer, delete and re-install assistant 2 and Go4, and still the Spark is not detected by neither Assistant 2 or the remote, or the phone.  Same solid red on front and yellow blinking in the rear LEDs.  When turning off, the fourth LED in the battery blinks about 23 times before turning off.   DJI phone support asked me to contact DJI e-mail support to get a repair ticket, which I did, and obtained an automated reply that because of the Chinese new year, they will not start replying messages until after the 21st of February.

Was this a FW update or a NFZ database update?
2018-2-19
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-19 06:56

I would like to know if it was the NFZ data too. Also, was the update done using DJI Assistant. I have already sent my Spark back to be serviced because Assistant bricked it. Not my first time updating, so I knew to expect the update to possibly take awhile before proceeding at certain points through the process.
2018-2-19
Use props
djiuser_NuStSrDUH3OU
lvl.3
Flight distance : 237789 ft
United States

I had same problem it bricked. Ac did nothing other then turn on had to send back to dji and they sent me new drone.took about 2 weeks to get back
2018-2-19
Use props
Tamborrel
lvl.1
Mexico

NFZ database update
2018-2-22
Use props
Tamborrel
lvl.1
Mexico

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-19 07:41
I would like to know if it was the NFZ data too. Also, was the update done using DJI Assistant. I have already sent my Spark back to be serviced because Assistant bricked it. Not my first time updating, so I knew to expect the update to possibly take awhile before proceeding at certain points through the process.

In my case was a NFZ database update through Assistant 2
2018-2-22
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Moderators.

Are you seeing a theme here?

2018-2-23
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-23 06:56
DJI Moderators.

Are you seeing a theme here?

My Spark is on the way back from being serviced. I was not charged for the repair.
2018-2-23
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-23 21:46
My Spark is on the way back from being serviced. I was not charged for the repair.

Thor responded in my thread that it is a known error and a new version of Assistant 2 has been released.

At the moment you can only get it through the link he posted in my Thread.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 5&fromuid=17066
2018-2-24
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-24 04:50
Thor responded in my thread that it is a known error and a new version of Assistant 2 has been released.

At the moment you can only get it through the link he posted in my Thread.

My Spark arrived yesterday and I did a test flight today. They replaced it with a new one. The time estimates for the repair were reasonable and the actual delivery time was shorter than the estimates. There were extra propellers included as well. I'm not sure if it's a refurbished unit or not, but it looks, and works like new and that's all I care about.
2018-2-28
Use props
Tamborrel
lvl.1
Mexico

NFZ database update with the latest version of DJI Assistant 2
2018-3-5
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-28 21:37
My Spark arrived yesterday and I did a test flight today. They replaced it with a new one. The time estimates for the repair were reasonable and the actual delivery time was shorter than the estimates. There were extra propellers included as well. I'm not sure if it's a refurbished unit or not, but it looks, and works like new and that's all I care about.

Yes mine was also a new one with free spare props.

They also transferred my DJI Care Refresh over to the new serial number.

The service was great.

Cheers
2018-3-14
Use props
Bigbigno
New
Italy

Hi.
I faced exactly the same problem.
Never used the drone.
Never completed the update...99%
Now the drone doesn't generate wifi network anymore!
Assistant told me to change battery !!?! than to install assistant2 instead of DJI go4... no positive reaction.
I don't know hot to do.
Perhaps the only way is to upload the new firmware via sd-card.....

please help me!

PS: my drone is not a COMBO...I have no RC!

thanks
alessio
2020-4-1
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

did you upgrade via usb to PC, or wifi?
If with wifi-- use DJI assistant2 tool to reflash
If use DJI assisant2 tool doesn't work use http://dankdronedownloader.com/DDD2/app/index.php?cat=Spark&cat3=01.00.0900

download it and flash with https://dji.retroroms.info/howto/dumldore
2020-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules