Catching the Inspire-1 in flight
3018 14 2015-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

I am flying with multicopters for a few years now and whenever landing conditions are not ideal (high grass, mud, etc.) I use to hover the copter over me,  grab it and shut down the motors. (I know, I know...)

Here's a warning in case you want to do that with the Inspire-1: Make sure the Inspire-1 legs are NOT in landing position!
If you have the legs lowered there is very litte space between the tips of the propeller-blades and the battery compartment (where I wanted to grab it).

I made that mistake today and got a finger too close to one of the propellers. This could have ended really bad but luckily only a thin slice of skin on my fingertip got chopped off and more importantly the propeller did not disintegrate while having the Inspire-1 hovering 20cm over my head.
2015-3-15
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Can we get a photo of your finger?
2015-3-15
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

...here we go

2015-3-15
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Duuuude you really lucked out man , the inspire can easily severe as well as slice meat ! Lucky guy then.
Ok I'm a catch man myself with great respect fo spinning blades and catching the p2 is no problem but the inspire definatly creates some challenges to simple safe snatch upon landing especially under unfavorable conditions , the low battery chase , the windy day , the kid or dog running in to see it land ?? Oh my !! ..... Carbon fiber moto GP gloves anyone ?
2015-3-15
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Really glad it's not worse , really .
2015-3-15
Use props
Midi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

Get well        

BTW. DJI makes equippment for exactly that scenario!

2015-3-15
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Midi Posted at 2015-3-16 07:01
Get well        

BTW. DJI makes equippment for exactly that scenario!

Ah yes anti shar gloves or butchers friend ....
2015-3-15
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Guernsey

markaguille Posted at 2015-3-16 05:44
Can we get a photo of your finger?

Ouchy!  Ya won't do that again!
2015-3-19
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Guernsey

I was flying in a strong force 5 (gusting force 6) and thought landing was going to be a bit iffy so decided to try the "hand catch". I brought the bird close to me somewhere between waist and chest height thinking I would grab her from above with the landing gear down (She was fighting hard against some strong winds here). As I looked down for the landing gear lever, in the corner of my eye I noticed her make a sudden move toward me. I instinctively grabbed out catching a firm hold of the battery and canopy. Unfortunately not before putting my hand through the spinning props!

Ouch!

Lesson learnt?

When flying in windy conditions, find a safe place to land, sheltered from the wind.

Oh yeh and don't put fingers in spinny  things!
2015-3-29
Use props
Theo ter Haar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20730951 ft
Netherlands

You all re aware of props getting stronger (specially the new ones)! They easily slice your bones too!
For the grabbers underneath: "Watch it, cause the gear comes down if the hand is detected!"

O.m.g. where am I.
2015-4-13
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

You do NOT handcatch the Inspire1 as you do with the P1,P2 or P3

Another hint revealing that the Inspire1 is NOT a toy as the P1,P2 and P3 is.

Also I keep a collection of inguries posted on the internet caused by the propellers of the Inspire1.
Don't ask me to post them here. It does NOT look good.

They can really cut off your finger(s)
That picture in the above post is just a scratch compared to my already collected pictures.
Nonetheless, it looks painfull doesn't it.

My statistics and predictions for those who handgrab the Inspire1 and it bites your fingers

With handgrabbing, your chances are :
- 90% you are lucky.
- 10% you are not so lucky.
      - a scratch (or 2, or 3 or more). Hope you learned a lesson.
      - just a cut (or 2, or 3, or more). Hope you really learned a lesson here.
      - just a nasty cut or cuts. You need stitches etc...You learned it the hard way.
      - you loose a finger. Only a matter of time before this happens to a handcatcher.
      - you loose your head. Well deserved as you did not use it before handcatching this bird.

And i'm not talking yet about what could happen to yours arms and face !!!!!

The Inspire1 is like a black widow.
We guys can play with her, but she will kill you after you had sex with her, i mean handgrabbed her.
2015-4-13
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

Here's a hand catch video.  I always catch with landing gear in the "up" position.
2015-4-13
Use props
Scotflieger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
Italy

Jonathamp

Was you who lowered the landing gear or did you trigger the sensor?  Not that I would wish to contemplate doing a hand catch.
2015-4-13
Use props
sammyg35x.yahoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1624364 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only have a few flights on the Inspire. With that said, I haven't owned or built a quad\multi that I couldn't comfortably hand catch. Although my method is slightly different. I see it as landing in my hand rather than "grabbing the quad out of the air"

But thank you for the warning. Those props are very close together.

I hope your finger heals quickly!
2015-4-13
Use props
REDBARON
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2456043 ft
Canada

I would start in a no-wind environment first and only if I had no choice. Otherwise, not for me..
2015-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules