5363 22 2015-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rsugdenmd.gmail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 654098 ft
  • >>>
United States

Took my Inspire 1 out for its first flight today, after looking at all the videos, and perusing the forum ... With 25 years experience flying RC helicopters and about 5 years flying other quad/hexcopters, including the Phantom, I thought it should go OK ... and it did, but:

I got a "Calibrate IMU" error on the Pilot App ... It's been awhile since I did that w. the Phantom, so didn't have a clue where to start ..

Shut down and back to the User Manual

Cmd-F and "Calibrate IMU" - nothing

Cmd-F and "IMU" - nothing.

Huh??   Nothing in the manual??

Back to the Forum ... Search for IMU ... nothing for the Inspire ...

Well I had calibrated the compass, so back to the field, and start searching through all the settings in the App ... FINALLY - under "Mode" and "Sensors" ...

WHY ISN'T THERE ANYTHING IN THE MANUAL ABOUT CALIBRATING THE IMU???

Had a short, safe flight ... some video of our home ... nothing 'risky' and all is good.  Low power warning checked and OK ... The Inspire flys much like the Phantom, but lots more bells and whistles w. the App ... which is great, but will be better when we can navigate with it ...

Second Remote Controller won't charge, but hopefully will get a replacement ...
2015-3-15
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I just did a new IMU calibration after updating the firmware.   I just checked that my floor was perfectly level and did it at home, took about 5 minutes.

So did you calibrate the IMU in the end?  Not quite clear from your post.
2015-3-15
Use props
aknauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 793041 ft
New Zealand

I am experiencing slight drift and position holding that is not rock solid. Have done an advanced IMU calibration and the MOD is spot on zero. acceleration MOD spot on 1g, compass around 1500.
I have been building multi-rotors for the last four years, many right from scratch with Mikrokopter electronics. I know how important IMU calibration on a level plane is. This level has to be zero in relation to the rotor plane, and is very sensitive to small misalignments.
With the retractable undercarriage there is an element of uncertainty that this calibration is still valid in the raised position. I was trying to calibrate with the legs raised and perfectly leveled across the the propeller tips, but since selective undercarriage operation is disabled, I would have to build a jig high off the ground to avoid trigerring gear lowering.
Has anybody any further ideas on that?
2015-3-25
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-16 12:57
I just did a new IMU calibration after updating the firmware.   I just checked that my floor was per ...

Hi Jim,

How do you calibrate the IMU on the Inspire? I saw in a random tutorial that it was in the app, but have looked in that place and it's not there. Otherwise...I don't know.

Best,
Gavin
2015-4-19
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Morrisson Posted at 2015-4-20 11:19
Hi Jim,

How do you calibrate the IMU on the Inspire? I saw in a random tutorial that it was in t ...

Hey Gavin, I had to hunt for it.   It's in the advanced sensors screen, BELOW the chart.

So MC//Advance Settings/Sensors/scroll under the X Y Z chart.
2015-4-19
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-20 14:36
Hey Gavin, I had to hunt for it.   It's in the advanced sensors screen, BELOW the chart.

So MC//A ...

Ok, great! I'm going to check this out later today...
2015-4-20
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-16 12:57
I just did a new IMU calibration after updating the firmware.   I just checked that my floor was per ...

Jim,

You did this outside with full view to sats. - right?
2015-4-21
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-20 14:36

So MC//A ...

Beautiful! This worked perfectly. Thanks!

Best,
Gavin
2015-4-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

rfrye Posted at 2015-4-22 04:20
Jim,

You did this outside with full view to sats. - right?

Nope, it's been suggested to me that you don't need sats for IMU and that it's more about a level surface.

The compass calibration I always do in open space with sats.

I've seen a lot of tutorials doing IMU indoors and then talking about how important it is to be outside for the compass cal.  

Always happy to be corrected if this is incorrect but it works fine and my bird flies like a dream.
2015-4-21
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-22 14:24
Nope, it's been suggested to me that you don't need sats for IMU and that it's more about a level  ...

Thanks for the clarity on this, Jim.
I have wondered for months if I need sats. for the IMU calibration.
From now on I will do my IMU calibrations in my office.

What do you get for mod. reading on your third line? I'm told it needs to be 1300 - 1600 with 1500 being optimal.
2015-4-22
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-22 14:24
Nope, it's been suggested to me that you don't need sats for IMU and that it's more about a level  ...

Yes ... I did my calibration on the livingroom table (very flat) ... And its been steady as a rock!
2015-4-22
Use props
Jubes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19859 ft
Ireland

Hi Jim,

My calibrate IMU button is greyed out, I assume it's because it's not needing to be done - can you confirm if you are able to calibrate anytime you want on your copy?

I am running the latest firmware & app (ios).

thanks
2015-4-25
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Jubes Posted at 2015-4-25 16:27
Hi Jim,

My calibrate IMU button is greyed out, I assume it's because it's not needing to be done -  ...

Same problem I am having the calibrate option is greyed out not allowing one to complete a calibration.
Is this RIGHT???????
2015-4-25
Use props
Jubes
lvl.2
Ireland

That's right, the IMU calibration option is greyed out and cannot be used - hopefully it will come to life when the IMU is needing it!!!
2015-4-25
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Jubes Posted at 2015-4-26 00:27
That's right, the IMU calibration option is greyed out and cannot be used - hopefully it will come t ...

I disagree after talking with willy nilly online chat support, they seem to think a problem with the Z reading on the compass and the fact it is detecting acceleration when on a smooth floor?

You should be able to calibrate the imu anytime unless hot of course..
2015-4-25
Use props
Jubes
lvl.2
Ireland

Der! Just started playing around with all the apps controls, I found out why the IMU calibration was grey out!

I was looking at the 'Calibration' heading thinking that was the button, its not - scroll down the menu & the check IMU & Calibrate buttons are there hiding below the dialogue window's bottom edge!!

Definitely having a senior moment here folks!
2015-4-25
Use props
jjkeyworth
lvl.2

Australia

Jubes Posted at 2015-4-26 01:17
Der! Just started playing around with all the apps controls, I found out why the IMU calibration was ...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had to laugh, i've just done the same thing! hehe
2015-10-28
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

jjkeyworth@gmai Posted at 2015-10-28 11:40
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had to laugh, i've just done the same thing! hehe

Well ... this is one of the most important things to do correctly with the Inspire and they managed to make it the "most difficult" to find in the Pilot app ...
2015-10-28
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-28 15:48
... and apparently, isn't even mentioned in the manual, the DJI tutorial videos or the quick-start ...

I have not re read the manual since I read it cover to cover three times when I got my Inspire in march.
I can´t recall where I found out about the procedure but It was absolutely clear for me that I was to do this before my first take off ...
2015-10-29
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

w1der Posted at 2015-10-29 17:32
I have not re read the manual since I read it cover to cover three times when I got my Inspire in  ...

It is SO importaant, but DJI does not even put it in the manual. They have all these problems with IMU and crashes and still it is not in the manual.
2015-10-29
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

Is it only the compass that is affected by metal structures? Can you do the IMU calibration around metal structures? My house is re-enforced concrete which means I have metal all around me.
2015-10-29
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

Well, I did the basic IMU calibration again and I got the same figures I had from the start. Took it outside and calibrated the compass and hovered for a few minutes, all is good thus far. No drift and everthing seems normal.
2015-10-30
Use props
fanscdc31d3d
lvl.1

“Definitely having a senior moment”. Hey I resemble that remark!
2018-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules