Using Gimbal and Camera Without Drone?
8165 6 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ECS5
New

United States

Is it possible to use the gimbal and camera without the rest of the drone? A friend broke his P3S and I want to buy the camera and gimbal to use as a handheld camera. I'd imagine everything just requires connecting wires but how could I control the gimbal?

2017-6-22
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

You are joking?? Why on earth would you want to do that??  Are you going to hold the gimball/camera with one hand while you use your tablet/phone in the other hand to look at the picture and take the shot? Just pick up a cheap secondhand camera...... a proper one!................. on Ebay.  
2017-6-22
Use props
ECS5
New

United States

GeoffN Posted at 2017-6-22 11:29
You are joking?? Why on earth would you want to do that??  Are you going to hold the gimball/camera with one hand while you use your tablet/phone in the other hand to look at the picture and take the shot? Just pick up a cheap secondhand camera...... a proper one!................. on Ebay.

No, I'm not joking. I'm not going to hold it. I'd make a rig for it to hold a battery and anything else needed. I don't want a cheap secondhand camera, I want something that can shoot high quality, smooth footage. If I can buy a gimbal and camera for cheaper than a new GoPro, it's obvious what I'm going to do.
2017-6-22
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28678 ft
United States

GeoffN Posted at 2017-6-22 11:29

Dji sells standalone gimbal cameras just for this purpose.
2017-6-23
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Consider purchasing an Osmo. You will be much better off for it. Many times, when you try to use parts not in the way intended, you will be taken down a road that is both complicated and non successful.
2017-6-23
Use props
Darryl Boy Banua
New

Italy

i came here to read this interesting question but i don't know why people answering wrong, just say yes or no so that readers know if it is possible...
2020-1-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, you could make it work if you happen to be a genius at cobbling up electronics and have the circuit diagrams from DJI. But DJI do not release that material. Even so, the camera is a lower spec than later ones. I would not tackle thejob, it is too difficult and has a low chance of success. The Osmo pocket comes with a better camera and is ready to go, it is a better solution.
2020-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules