Gimbal overload!
3937 8 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1e71c6dd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1742 ft
Ireland

Getting a gimbal overload message every now and then on start up any ideas?
2017-6-22
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

This may occur if you're taking off from high grass.  If so, use the Spark box as a take-off point.
2017-6-22
Use props
fans1e71c6dd
lvl.2
Ireland

Yeah that makes sense all right.each time I took off from high grass.thanks for ur help.
2017-6-22
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans1e71c6dd Posted at 2017-6-22 12:38
Yeah that makes sense all right.each time I took off from high grass.thanks for ur help.

The grass is obstructing the gimbal
2017-6-22
Use props
fans1e71c6dd
lvl.2
Ireland

Cool I'll just use the box from now on for take off.cheers!
2017-6-22
Use props
fans606073d3
New
United States

fans1e71c6dd Posted at 2017-6-22 12:38
Cool I'll just use the box from now on for take off.cheers!

Here is another thing to consider.  When the DJI Spark is powered on then the gimbal is actively trying to stay level as that is what it is supposed to do.  If you turn the drone over, twist it around, etc then you are causing the gimbal to also move to remain level.  You can demonstrate this just by turning it on holding it level and looking at the camera while to gently rock it side to side....you will see the camera moving as the gimbal maintains a level position.  If you pick up the drone while powered on and make extreme movements (which are really not that extreme to you but they are to the gimbal) then the gimbal is going to hit the physical stops in one or more of the two available axis it moves and then you have a Gimbal Overload condition.  I recommend you always hold your drone level while it is powered on.  If you need to flip it over or twist it around....turn it off first.
2017-6-22
Use props
fans1e71c6dd
lvl.2
Ireland

Yeah that's a good point too.I must keep an eye on that. Thanks for the help. Cheers!
2017-6-22
Use props
djiuser_oWBiXUG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36250 ft
Jamaica

fans606073d3 Posted at 2017-6-22 14:36
Here is another thing to consider.  When the DJI Spark is powered on then the gimbal is actively trying to stay level as that is what it is supposed to do.  If you turn the drone over, twist it around, etc then you are causing the gimbal to also move to remain level.  You can demonstrate this just by turning it on holding it level and looking at the camera while to gently rock it side to side....you will see the camera moving as the gimbal maintains a level position.  If you pick up the drone while powered on and make extreme movements (which are really not that extreme to you but they are to the gimbal) then the gimbal is going to hit the physical stops in one or more of the two available axis it moves and then you have a Gimbal Overload condition.  I recommend you always hold your drone level while it is powered on.  If you need to flip it over or twist it around....turn it off first.

What about compass calibration, which I preform before every flight? This process dictates tuning the drone 360deg. in its side which maxes out the gimbal.
2017-9-2
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

1. you dont do it every flight.

If the Spark tells you, you do.
Or in case you moved some hundred km north or south of the previous location

2. It's in calibration mode, so my guess is, the cam is pretty much locked.
Never looked at it, actually, during calibration,
To busy, to rotate around the drone position with my body
2017-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules