Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FC40 Disassembly, or, Replacement of Compass Ribbon Cable
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RANDOM8R
New

United States

Good day, all.

I have a Phantom FC40 which has a broken compass/connector.  The replacement compass (with ribbon cable) has arrived and so I need to disassemble the FC40, at least in part, to install the new compass/cable.

As it happens, I have no experience with disassembly and have been unable to find any helpful information online.

Would some kind soul point me to a resource that can help me correctly and safely replace my compass/cable?

Thank you, and regards.

2017-6-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Are you sure it's the cable and not the compass?  If you're not sure, you could just swap out the compass and see what happens.  
2017-6-23
Use props
RANDOM8R
New

United States

Hi Mark,

I would've tried that, but the connection point between the cable and the compass unit is broken, taking one of the compass-mounted pins with it; quite the mess.  So this requires me to replace both the compass and the cable, even though I'd rather not.

Thanks for your suggestion.
2017-6-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Okay.  Not a lot of people have the FC40 these days, but I don't know why it would be much different than the other Phantoms even if it has a ribbon cable.  Seems to me it should be a relatively simple matter of taking the top off and removing/replacing the cable/compass.  Hopefully the plug isn't secured to the center board with something like silicone.  Know that the GPS module will be in the top so you will have to disconnect that cable/plug when you lift the top off.  
2017-6-23
Use props
RANDOM8R
New

United States

Ok...that's a good start.

Thanks, Mark.
2017-6-23
Use props
RANDOM8R
New

United States

Ok...so I was wrong saying that I could not simply connect the existing cable to the new compass.  I was able to make the connection, and the new compass works, so I'm back to normal.  Thanks to Mark for his input and also for others who may have looked at my post and were going to offer suggestions.
2017-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules