How DJI is ruining my holiday right now!
1234Next >
11725 157 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-6-24 18:11
DJI Announced this upgrade was coming a long time ago. His trip is not dependent on a drone ffs.

I suppose if the fireworks hit your drone and it crashes you will blame DJI for not having an avoidance system.

I would not fly that close, FF but you seem to have all the answers, do you have a vested interest in DJI??
2017-6-25
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

hdlou94 Posted at 2017-6-25 03:00
I would not fly that close, FF but you seem to have all the answers, do you have a vested interest in DJI??

Sure, I bought one of their drones to take on my overseas vacations
2017-6-26
Use props
robinpm100
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87585 ft
Czechia

Man, I actually have the same experience. I wanted to fly with my Phantom 4 Pro the day before yesterday. Suddenly all I got was this message - cannot take off, you aircraft is locked, update firmware to the latest version. My firmware in my drone was not old, it was the second latest one.

THE POINT IS  - DJI CANT BLOCK YOUR AIRCRAFT because of some update. This is absolutely ridiculous in my view, imagine you wont update your Android phone and they will block completely your phone :-D This is absolutely ridiculou to push you for latest update - in this way.

I purchased my drone - very expensive one - FOR FLYING, when they block you you expensive drone because of not having the latest update - is like somebody stole your money :-D until you update

I was very annoyed with this too
2017-6-26
Use props
fans5d8dccf4
New
Flight distance : 882185 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

I would suggest to read TERMS and CONDITIONS that we signed electronically with DJI to find out if they can force us to updates
2017-6-26
Use props
robinpm100
lvl.1
Czechia

fans5d8dccf4 Posted at 2017-6-26 02:32
I would suggest to read TERMS and CONDITIONS that we signed electronically with DJI to find out if they can force us to updates

I bet, IT IS there somewhere, even though only few people read these texts.
Anyway, I doubt you can legally justify this.
Because - when they lock you your product and you cant fly with it,
it is useless until you update, they KNOCK IT OFF.
I believe, you can´t  have your product stopped from IT´S PURPOSE.
It´s purpose is TO FLY, you can´t justify this by some text.
You bought the product for LOTS OF MONEY and be forced to
update in a way like this?
Give me a break :-)

It would be logical if you dont update, that your gps will get weird or something like it
BUT YOUR PURCHASED DRONE WILL still fulfill it´s purpose - to fly :-)
2017-6-26
Use props
robinpm100
lvl.1
Czechia

robinpm100 Posted at 2017-6-26 04:01
I bet, IT IS there somewhere, even though only few people read these texts.
Anyway, I doubt you can legally justify this.
Because - when they lock you your product and you cant fly with it,

Anyway, we now know, we need to update and we should not connect to wifi
before we go to vacation, because these few seconds can block your drone when
some update was released f.e. few minutes before you got online and you did not know about that :-)

I am just more happy and grateful now that my expensive Samsung Android phone
is not locked because I have not updated it :-) I need to make some calls with it :-)
2017-6-26
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Litchi my friend...Litchi. When things don't go as planned with DJI GO and GO 4, I use the Litchi app. Naver had a problem with Litchi
2017-6-26
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
Thailand

litchi in the p4 advanced plus? well good luck. i tried everything to unlock this piece of crap but useless. its still locked. and it still sucks. but i enjoy the time here anyway.

so happy gopro guys dont loose their mind yet and letnme just film underwater instead of locking my camera for not updating the firmware... lol
Enlight18.jpg
Enlight23.jpg
Enlight14.jpg
Enlight19.jpg
2017-6-26
Use props
Alxy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84350 ft
Switzerland

Be glad that DJI does not make cars. Imagine you would be stuck in a middle of nowhere in a blizzard with a message "Firmware Update Required". Is it even legal to purposefully remotely disable a product like that?
2017-6-26
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-6-26 07:36
litchi in the p4 advanced plus? well good luck. i tried everything to unlock this piece of crap but useless. its still locked. and it still sucks. but i enjoy the time here anyway.

so happy gopro guys dont loose their mind yet and letnme just film underwater instead of locking my camera for not updating the firmware... lol

Hey, nice photos. Just read through the thread, and no doubt with how you're feeling, you took the underwater photos using your P4A+... ;-)

But sadly you can't try Litchi, or any other 3rd party alternative, as you have the locked Plus version. But I'm not sure it'd work anyway, as GO looks like it's trying to tell you that it needs a craft update. Perhaps your RC and craft are out of sync firmware-wise? This update does require update on both ends... But I'm sure you were on top of that before you left. Alternatively, it needs to download different No-Fly database as you are in a different continent?
2017-6-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans5d8dccf4 Posted at 2017-6-26 02:32

Since there are a large number of users operatimng all versions of firmware and Go apps without updating, you don't need to search any fine pring.
DJI do nt force you to update firmware or the app.
2017-6-26
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I left my drone under a few meters of water. Camera still works lol

2017-6-26
Use props
robinpm100
lvl.1
Czechia

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-26 21:04
Since there are a large number of users operatimng all versions of firmware and Go apps without updating, you don't need to search any fine pring.

Well, not anymore :-D and that is why our drones were blocked. Yes, many people have different firmwares and old ones and they still fly - but only because they did not go online and have their wifi switched off
2017-6-27
Use props
robinpm100
lvl.1
Czechia

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-26 21:04

2017-6-27
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Thailand

guys thanks alot for all help. the cable i had here was broken. thats why i couldnt start the update and the other guy with p4 same. but after days i found a store by driving around with car here. and they opened one p4 pro box and let me use the cable to test for some minutes. and finally it worked. so i finished the update and go to fly. later the app annoy me again by telling me i need update vision sensors and thousand other things. so i turn all extras off and just fly.

thanks to DJI for being such a pain in the a$$ company. with this slow internet connection here it was really fun to update all this. enjoy the evening and thanks again to all who tried to help. cheers
Enlight41.jpg
2017-6-27
Use props
robinpm100
lvl.1
Czechia

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-6-27 05:55
guys thanks alot for all help. the cable i had here was broken. thats why i couldnt start the update and the other guy with p4 same. but after days i found a store by driving around with car here. and they opened one p4 pro box and let me use the cable to test for some minutes. and finally it worked. so i finished the update and go to fly. later the app annoy me again by telling me i need update vision sensors and thousand other things. so i turn all extras off and just fly.

thanks to DJI for being such a pain in the a$$ company. with this slow internet connection here it was really fun to update all this. enjoy the evening and thanks again to all who tried to help. cheers

Great news, I know how depressing it was not beeing able to fly ;-)
2017-6-27
Use props
fansea04c4e5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1319081 ft
United Kingdom

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-6-24 04:25
thanks for answer. i was on the firmware from 2 days ago. the last one came out a week aho or so. i could fly this morning and everything was fine. i turned on the wofo from that rubish build in screen to download the map from this area which is not working by the way. suddenly i got a message: YOUR PHANTOM IS LOCKED UNTIL YOU UPGRADE TO LATEST FIRMWARE!!!

yes i agree DJI should pay my trip and i will get a lawyer for this after i am back. stucked here with a bricked drone.

really? You expect DJI to pay for your trip because you can't (for whatever reason) update the firmware? No lawyer in the world will take that on!!!
2017-6-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Go and enjoy your trip. Don't want to hear from you until your back. Lol
2017-6-27
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

PandaFlyingcat, excuse me, but you really cannot blame DJI for  forgetting to bring your own OTG cable, then trying to make one out of two cables you bought (did you solder them or just twisted the wires together?), and finally using a cable from somebody you met and that cable was broken, and you can't blame DJI either for the slow wifi connection you had at a local internet cafe…
2017-6-27
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Thailand

i blame them for the fact that i asked them 1 week before i fly to holiday wether i MUST make updates or CAN make them in case i am on an island and everything here sucks for internet. DJIs answer: "no dont worry you dont need to update if you dont want. you can still fly and you can just ignore any message for firmware update!"

For THIS answer i blame them. first day i arrive here, turn on wifi and in one second my drone is locked. oh hell yeah i can blame them for this. not that anybody care there. but to give customers wrong information and then screw up big time by locking drones everywhere? if you think this is totally fine then we are on a different planet. to all of us can stuff like this happen.
wait until you go for a nice trip and then DJI lock your drone there because you have a bit dust in the isb port and it doesnt work as expected. i want see your face in this case. NOBODY of us should get a bricked piece of technology because not make a stupid firmware update for any reason whatsoever. too many things can get wrong. in my case broken OTG. next customer have a buggy wifi. next have problems with the touchscreen from the build in screen ect. DJI should shame themself for giving wrong infirmation and then make such a rediculous step to lock our drones. like ithers here said already: i never see a car company who shut off customers car for not doing insoection in time and say the reason for such drastical step is security reasons...
anyway. i thank all people who give helpful informations. and for all others: think how you would react if this nonsense happen to you. cheers
2017-6-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

sciencelookers@ Posted at 2017-6-27 12:41
I would like to sue them over the exact same issue.    Contact me if you decide to sue.  Maybe we can make it a class action lawsuit.  There are enough owners effected that some law offices will probably take the case without charge to us.l

Did you know that in registering your aircraft you agree to give up the right to sue DJI? Did you also know that despite all these ridiculous threats, no-one has ever even started a class action against DJI, much less got anywhere with it.
2017-6-27
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-27 14:25
Did you know that in registering your aircraft you agree to give up the right to sue DJI? Did you also know that despite all these ridiculous threats, no-one has ever even started a class action against DJI, much less got anywhere with it.

Actually Geebax, that's not true. A class action Has been started against DJI, although admittedly it's taken a while - it relates to the PS2 and a firmware release, I recall...

[edit] Found it: https://www.dataprivacyandsecuri ... er-firmware-update/

2017-6-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-6-27 16:14
Actually Geebax, that's not true. A class action Has been started against DJI, although admittedly it's taken a while - it relates to the PS2 and a firmware release, I recall...

[edit] Found it: https://www.dataprivacyandsecurityinsider.com/2017/02/dji-drone-manufacturer-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-firmware-update/

Yes, Mr. Ardvaak reminded me of that as well. Let's see how far it progresses......
2017-6-27
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Thailand

funny. i just found out that my whole hometown where i live and ALL areas around it are now nofly zones. that means everything around 50km is a big nofly zone now. so thats it. no nice park flights or anything. only in small ugly industrial areas you can fly. i really think dji is loosing it now. nobody will buy drones anymore
IMG_8901.JPG
2017-6-27
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-6-27 19:27
funny. i just found out that my whole hometown where i live and ALL areas around it are now nofly zones. that means everything around 50km is a big nofly zone now. so thats it. no nice park flights or anything. only in small ugly industrial areas you can fly. i really think dji is loosing it now. nobody will buy drones anymore

Are they airports, helipads, or both?
2017-6-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-6-27 19:27

"i really think dji is loosing it now. nobody will buy drones anymore "

I suspect you are a long way from the truth.
DJI make the best ready-to-fly drones that you can get and they are going to keep selling like hotcakes.
2017-6-27
Use props
Heir InVioLable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

First off,  the entire you can't sue DJI thing has been thoroughly debunked. In fact I believe someone is in the process of a class action against DJI for the Matrice 600 and it's misleading advertising (apparently the video was shot entirely with and X5R and not the m600).  I'll put a disclaimer here and say that came from an industry friend and I have no further information about it or if it will go forward.
Secondly, PandaFlyingcat,  since you have the + version have you tried emptying your internal caches and then using your downloaded microSDcard through the onboard RC microSD card reader (I think the Advanced + has this, if so mount drive first but it should already be).  Emptying all of your caches should open up storage.  Lastly is it possible go to the internet place and download DJI Assistant 2 for the P4A+?  I don't believe you need that extra little cable,  but I really can't remember.   To be honest I have the P4pro+ and it's been nothing but a waste of time.  The monitor is convenient when working correctly,  which has been rarely.  Good luck buddy,  this actually has happened to hundreds of people, perhaps more hence the terrible reviews the new DJIGO4 application has on the app store.  It is story after story like this one.  SOURCE https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ... 2/id1170452592?mt=8
2017-6-27
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-6-27 19:30
Are they airports, helipads, or both?

No, they are "Special areas"... probably imposed by the Chinese Government...
nofly special area.png
2017-6-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-28 02:08
No, they are "Special areas"... probably imposed by the Chinese Government...

Ah, like missile silos. Got it!
2017-6-28
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-6-28 03:40
Ah, like missile silos. Got it!

more likely industrial plants...
2017-6-28
Use props
Alxy
lvl.2
Luxembourg

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-27 14:25

Is such clause legal? Then every company would have it in their agreement. Apple had many lawsuits against them. Why wouldn't they just put such a clause in their user agreement?
I think the lawsuit can be also initiated by a party who did not register a drone. For example if I hire a photographer and his drone is purposefully locked down by DJI, which is not a malfunction, but actual purposeful act by the company, can I sue DJI for damages caused by this act?
This is just a theoretical discussion about law and order. I do not plan to do this in any case.
2017-6-28
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-27 09:14
PandaFlyingcat, excuse me, but you really cannot blame DJI for  forgetting to bring your own OTG cable, then trying to make one out of two cables you bought (did you solder them or just twisted the wires together?), and finally using a cable from somebody you met and that cable was broken, and you can't blame DJI either for the slow wifi connection you had at a local internet cafe…

I believe he was blaming them for disabling his quad when they previously stated no AC would be grounded due to a user not updating.
2017-6-28
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alxy Posted at 2017-6-28 08:23
Is such clause legal? Then every company would have it in their agreement. Apple had many lawsuits against them. Why wouldn't they just put such a clause in their user agreement?
I think the lawsuit can be also initiated by a party who did not register a drone. For example if I hire a photographer and his drone is purposefully locked down by DJI, which is not a malfunction, but actual purposeful act by the company, can I sue DJI for damages caused by this act?
This is just a theoretical discussion about law and order. I do not plan to do this in any case.

No one can be protected from all potential lawsuits just by having people sign agreements. The likelihood of lawsuits actually going anywhere will be based on a case-by-case situation though.
2017-6-28
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Alxy Posted at 2017-6-28 08:23

The kind of clause you are talking about would be void in many legal systems around the world, I would say. Not sure what it is called in english, maybe restrictive or unfair clause or even oppressive clause.
Anyway, with the photographer, you as the customer could only sue him for not keeping his professional equipment in working order. (and the Phantoms are not "professional", they are "consumer")... There is a way to avoid the blocking of a drone and it is downloading the provided update to the Geofencing database. It is up to the user to do it and to do it the right way.  -unless you can prove that NOBODY was able to do it. But in this thread the problem was not the absolute lack of availability of the update, it was the lack of a proper cable, and eventually the bad wifi service at the islands' internet cafes. The fact that a DJI person had allegedly told the guy that he could fly without updating doesn't mean much, as it would have been about the "Firmware" major updates (which BTW were already current on the drone and RC. An update to the geofencing database is not a major firmware update. At least I don't consider it such. Consider that the firmware update the guy finally downloaded was 800 Mb (and not needed), the database update  was 89 Mb... Others may think differently, of course...
2017-6-28
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-6-28 09:11
I believe he was blaming them for disabling his quad when they previously stated no AC would be grounded due to a user not updating.

Yes, this is what he said, but IMHO this would apply to major firmware upgrades (the matter has been the object of many threads in recent times), not to geofencing database updates...
2017-6-28
Use props
Alxy
lvl.2
Luxembourg

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-28 09:17
The kind of clause you are talking about would be void in many legal systems around the world, I would say. Not sure what it is called in english, maybe restrictive or unfair clause or even oppressive clause.
Anyway, with the photographer, you as the customer could only sue him for not keeping his professional equipment in working order. (and the Phantoms are not "professional", they are "consumer"... There is a way to avoid the blocking of a drone and it is downloading the provided update to the Geofencing database. It is up to the user to do it and to do it the right way.  -unless you can prove that NOBODY was able to do it. But in this thread the problem was not the absolute lack of availability of the update, it was the lack of a proper cable, and eventually the bad wifi service at the islands' internet cafes. The fact that a DJI person had allegedly told the guy that he could fly without updating doesn't mean much, as it would have been about the "Firmware" major updates (which BTW were already current on the drone and RC. An update to the geofencing database is not a major firmware update. At least I don't consider it such. Consider that the firmware update the guy finally downloade was 800 Mb (and not needed), the database update  was 89 Mb... Others may think differently, of course...

The situation described here had a possibility for the problem to be resolved, but other situations may be not. Let's say I am in the mountains without Internet and I take my drone out and all I get is a message that I have to update and the drone is now disabled by DJI. Drone is not a service. It is a product and DJI has not right to disable it.
If you think about any other product you would not tolerate such behaviour - if your car would be disable when you in the middle of nowhere, your fridge would be disable and all your food gets spoiled, your PC would be disabled when you have no Internet,  my keyboard will now be disabled since I did not update its firmw
2017-6-28
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Alxy Posted at 2017-6-28 09:36
The situation described here had a possibility for the problem to be resolved, but other situations may be not. Let's say I am in the mountains without Internet and I take my drone out and all I get is a message that I have to update and the drone is now disabled by DJI. Drone is not a service. It is a product and DJI has not right to disable it.
If you think about any other product you would not tolerate such behaviour - if your car would be disable when you in the middle of nowhere, your fridge would be disable and all your food gets spoiled, your PC would be disabled when you have no Internet,  my keyboard will now be disabled since I did not update its firmw

I see your point, but I beg to differ. IMHO DJI has the right, if not even the obligation, to make its product safer, which may be the cause of disabling it if a particular chunk of software (the geofencing database) is not updated...  But I agree that DJI should have made this unmistakeably clear  some days in advance: "YOUR DRONE WILL BE DISABLED IF YOU DON'T UPDATE THE GEOFENCING DATABASE TO THE UPCOMING RELEASE ON THE 25th OF JUNE 2017 "
2017-6-28
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-24 18:47
Not buying DJI products sounds like a perfect solution to your over-exaggerated concerns about DJI firmware and DJI Go.

Enjoy whatever substandard drone you end up with.

Not so sure I disagree with him on that. DJI should not be acting like police. I know they come from a culture of severe governmental control, and probably should not carry that over to the freer world. It is not much different then the internet filtering that the Chinese government does. But I understand why they do it, as it is probably trying to avoid governments around the world from basically banning drones altogether. But I think the firmware should at least err on the side of allowing to fly when the data is not current.
2017-6-28
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Capo Posted at 2017-6-28 10:03
Not so sure I disagree with him on that. DJI should not be acting like police. I know they come from a culture of severe governmental control, and probably should not carry that over to the freer world. It is not much different then the internet filtering that the Chinese government does. But I understand why they do it, as it is probably trying to avoid governments around the world from basically banning drones altogether. But I think the firmware should at least err on the side of allowing to fly when the data is not current.

I don't know how many around the world have been affected by this particular blocking, but as I understand it, the geofencing database is calibrated on the whereabouts of the drone owner, who in this case lives in China. Is it possible that DJI in this case is under government's orders?  Where I am I did not receive any warnings about updating the database  and did not see any warnings about blocking my aircraft either...
2017-6-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Capo Posted at 2017-6-28 10:03

Hi Capo. I have to agree with you there - point well made.
DJI have a responsibility to ensure that their products are used responsibly. In an extreme event being realised (like a drone into a jet engine), lives could be lost, and with a large number of lesser events, regulations could be changed to prevent drones altogether. No-one wants either of those. But, to implement a 'nag message' (or equivalent) if people are in an inappropriate area to fly, but which doesn't stop them altogether should there not be reasonable cause (like inaccurate zone data), would be a reasonable middle ground.
2017-6-28
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules