How DJI is ruining my holiday right now!
1234Next >
11739 157 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robinpm100
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87585 ft
Czechia

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-28 10:17
I don't know how many around the world have been affected by this particular blocking, but as I understand it, the geofencing database is calibrated on the whereabouts of the drone owner, who in this case lives in China. Is it possible that DJI in this case is under government's orders?  Where I am I did not receive any warnings about updating the database  and did not see any warnings about blocking my aircraft either...

Certainly not the case for China only. I live in the Czech republic (between Austria and Germany) and I was in the countryside and wanted to fly - only to find out I cannot take off and my drone is disabled and locked by DJI with a message - update to the latest firmware.

As I said, this is ridiculous, it is like somebody stole your money until you update :-)
And my firmware was the previous to the latest one, so not old, bought my drone for flying to suddenly find out, they can knock it off. Imagine driving
to some far nice location to fly, without cables, notebooks and wifi nearby and to have a locked drone :-)
2017-6-29
Use props
robinpm100
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87585 ft
Czechia

And I had NO warnings of locked aircraft because of that latest firmware, in fact I was flying the day before my aicraft was locked without any problems. This simple sucks and is definitely not a nice move from DJI, I expect a different kind of thank you that I purchased their product :-D
2017-6-29
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
United States

whats even worse for all of this is the fact that DJI not tried to help or said something in this post. SHAME ON YOU GUYS!
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I just wonder why so many think there should be no regulations around drones and our drones should not be brought up to spec for what ever country or continent they are used in. I live in a country that depends on large amounts of imports of industrial and technical equipment, cars coming into my country must meet strict regulations, children's toys have extremely stringent regulations, food suppliers have more regulations than you can shake a stick at , my steak has to have a makers mark on it, in fact every import into my country and it's the very same for all countries around the world are bound by very strict codes of regulations, and they didn't arrive overnight they have been put together over many years and due to safety and other very good reasons they will continue to be monitored for people's good.
So we need to get off the our drone horse stop putting this all on dji and realise the regulations are made by the people we elect. So we should all take responsibility and stop trying to hang all of this at the door where it does not belong.
2017-7-1
Use props
HKFEVER
lvl.1
Hong Kong

robinpm100 Posted at 2017-6-26 01:57
Man, I actually have the same experience. I wanted to fly with my Phantom 4 Pro the day before yesterday. Suddenly all I got was this message - cannot take off, you aircraft is locked, update firmware to the latest version. My firmware in my drone was not old, it was the second latest one.

THE POINT IS  - DJI CANT BLOCK YOUR AIRCRAFT because of some update. This is absolutely ridiculous in my view, imagine you wont update your Android phone and they will block completely your phone :-D This is absolutely ridiculou to push you for latest update - in this way.

I heard that someone is going for class action against this.  

May end up like Apple vs Jailbreak
2017-7-1
Use props
HKFEVER
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Alxy Posted at 2017-6-26 12:53
Be glad that DJI does not make cars. Imagine you would be stuck in a middle of nowhere in a blizzard with a message "Firmware Update Required". Is it even legal to purposefully remotely disable a product like that?

DJI bought Hassy, good luck Hassy
2017-7-1
Use props
HKFEVER
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-28 02:08
No, they are "Special areas"... probably imposed by the Chinese Government...

Wow, the whole Macau is looked down, LOL.  No need to have DJI approved store there...
2017-7-1
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34869 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 07:38
I just wonder why so many think there should be no regulations around drones and our drones should not be brought up to spec for what ever country or continent they are used in. I live in a country that depends on large amounts of imports of industrial and technical equipment, cars coming into my country must meet strict regulations, children's toys have extremely stringent regulations, food suppliers have more regulations than you can shake a stick at , my steak has to have a makers mark on it, in fact every import into my country and it's the very same for all countries around the world are bound by very strict codes of regulations, and they didn't arrive overnight they have been put together over many years and due to safety and other very good reasons they will continue to be monitored for people's good.
So we need to get off the our drone horse stop putting this all on dji and realise the regulations are made by the people we elect. So we should all take responsibility and stop trying to hang all of this at the door where it does not belong.

The regs usually apply to the manufacture of the product, not the actual use. The use is governed by the country in which the product is used, consumed etc. Manufacturers can provide accepted use guidelines (they build the product with an intended use in mind), but this is for liability reasons. If the end user goes outside of this it is at their own peril. Can you imagine car manufacturers governing the speed of the vehicles they sell to some arbitrary standard that they see fit to impose or... take guns for a more extreme example! At issue here is whether DJI is going beyond what is reasonable for a manufacturer by trying to directly control the use of their product after it has been sold.
2017-7-2
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Officewallah Posted at 2017-7-2 07:42
The regs usually apply to the manufacture of the product, not the actual use. The use is governed by the country in which the product is used, consumed etc. Manufacturers can provide accepted use guidelines (they build the product with an intended use in mind), but this is for liability reasons. If the end user goes outside of this it is at their own peril. Can you imagine car manufacturers governing the speed of the vehicles they sell to some arbitrary standard that they see fit to impose or... take guns for a more extreme example! At issue here is whether DJI is going beyond what is reasonable for a manufacturer by trying to directly control the use of their product after it has been sold.

"If the end user goes outside of this it is at their own peril"  -and somebody elses, more often than not...
http://jalopnik.com/four-people-dead-after-speeding-porsche-crashes-into-pa-1792805565
2017-7-2
Use props
Jeffames226
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 07:38

Sorry but thats just ridiculous!  Like Officewallah stated, can you imagine if Ford or Chevy wouldnt allow you to go over 60mph or even WORSE would shut the vehicle down in different areas of the country because you MIGHT not follow the local laws!  This is EXACTLY what happened to me this past week in Florida with my P4P.  Wasnt able to fly ANYWHERE along the panhandle from Pensacola to Panama City because of NFZs even though the app said I wasnt in a NFZ.  
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Officewallah Posted at 2017-7-2 07:42

So if FAA tell dji they need to put some control on there drones flying in NFZ , should dji tell them no and force governments to step in and enforce the exact same thing with NFZ rules on RC pilots. Sometimes be careful what you wish for as it might come true.

The reality is all pilots need permission to fly in NFZ including pilots of manned aircraft, pilots of manned aircraft are highly trained in there rules laws and regulations. If a pilot flying an aircraft in a NFZ he can be contacted by ATC and removed asked to land or in the case of flying over military airspace can be taken out of the sky .

NFZ were always there and there were always rules around these, and all dji has done is to let pilots of its aircraft know about NFZ and also tell them they need permission to fly in NFZ , obviously RC pilots cannot be contacted by ATC.
Dji have not restricted aircraft in any other way, and if you think that FAA and your government would not do everything in there power to restrict hundreds of thousands of untrained RC pilots from flying in these NFZ areas, your living in cuckoo land.
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jeffames226 Posted at 2017-7-2 08:11
Sorry but thats just ridiculous!  Like Officewallah stated, can you imagine if Ford or Chevy wouldnt allow you to go over 60mph or even WORSE would shut the vehicle down in different areas of the country because you MIGHT not follow the local laws!  This is EXACTLY what happened to me this past week in Florida with my P4P.  Wasnt able to fly ANYWHERE along the panhandle from Pensacola to Panama City because of NFZs even though the app said I wasnt in a NFZ.

NFZ are not made by dji, manned aircraft pilots are not allowed fly in NFZ without permission what makes you think you can, dji alone does not decide where NFZ are.

If an aircraft pilot flys into NFZ he can be contacted ATC and asked to leave the area land or in the case of military NFZ be blown out of the sky.

Dji has done nothing to there aircraft to limit how they fly. If you think you should be allowed to fly in NFZ without permission then you are the one who is a ridiculous fool.

Check out NFZ before you fly or you will continue to look foolish....
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jeffames226 Posted at 2017-7-2 08:11

imagine if Ford or Chevy wouldnt allow you to go over 60mph

Ford and Chevy don't need to do this your government and the law stop you from doing this. If you lived in Germany you can drive much faster in both of these automobiles, so maybe you should look at your own government and why they would act with such restrictions when driving cars.
2017-7-2
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
China

nobody say anything against NFZ. what they do wrong is to lock down drones in remote areas without wifi. so the user spend alot money on a journey and is stucked there with a bricked drone.
2017-7-2
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
China

and all of that because a firmware update! without warning. by the way my p4 was able to fly directly in the incoming plane corridor from local airport. they make such efforts to lock down drones for nonsense chinese political holiday but its totally fine to fly 500 meter high in a place where landing planes come in at 200 meter. luckily i saw that last second and land my p4. all of this is so wrong what dji doing now. the update without warning lockdowns i mean.
2017-7-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-7-2 10:04
and all of that because a firmware update! without warning. by the way my p4 was able to fly directly in the incoming plane corridor from local airport. they make such efforts to lock down drones for nonsense chinese political holiday but its totally fine to fly 500 meter high in a place where landing planes come in at 200 meter. luckily i saw that last second and land my p4. all of this is so wrong what dji doing now. the update without warning lockdowns i mean.

"by the way my p4 was able to fly directly in the incoming plane corridor from local airport. they make such efforts to lock down drones for nonsense chinese political holiday but its totally fine to fly 500 meter high in a place where landing planes come in at 200 meter"

I'm curious, why did you chose to fly so close to an airport with your P4 ? That's the very reason they're enforcing the regulations.
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Height limit for where you were flying is 120 meters, you were flying at 500meters and you are claiming everybody else to blame for your problems.
There is an irony in all of this.
2017-7-2
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Make sure you read #60 in the following link and you will probably understand that DJI is not responsible for the recent RFZ in Hong Kong -which impacted even small balloons and kites etc... then ask yourself why on earth did you fly 500 meters where planes are at 200 meters and landing...  Whatever DJI puts in the GEO system, you still are responsible for knowing ALL the flight limitations that apply to the place you are flying. You would probably realize that in the place you are describing, you are not allowed to fly at 500 meters and possibly not even 100...
2017-7-2
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

Many people are reporting issues today with logon.  This isn't limited to you.  Seems to have ruined my day as well.  
2017-7-2
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
China

guys i DIDNT fly 500 meter high. my max altitude that time was around 60 meter but the fact i was able to set my max height to 500 shows that there is something wrong with these rules. and i was checking airspace carefully there because i knew there is an airport around. didnt know that second that planes will come so close to that spot. i saw the plane early enough and land. i was talking about the fact that dji screw up so much for firmware updated and lock drones everywhere. ruining peoples holidays or job.
2017-7-3
Use props
WillGranzier
New
South Africa

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-6-24 10:52
yes, maybe by get a new p4?  i have phantoms for many years and never experienced something like this before. what mistake i could made for example? just now the p4 was able to start motors without update warning. turn them off again andntry turn on: aircraft locked.

Well I don't even use DJI go app. I fly Lichi. Im have a PH4, a Mavic Pro and an Inspire 1. All my units are still on the original firmware I purchased it on. I fly around the world as I film for broadcast channels. I have never updated ANY of the firmware on ANY of my units.... And I won't be anytime soon. Perhaps this is a good lesson to learn. Not always good to be on the bleeding edge of tech
2017-7-3
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-7-3 06:45
guys i DIDNT fly 500 meter high. my max altitude that time was around 60 meter but the fact i was able to set my max height to 500 shows that there is something wrong with these rules. and i was checking airspace carefully there because i knew there is an airport around. didnt know that second that planes will come so close to that spot. i saw the plane early enough and land. i was talking about the fact that dji screw up so much for firmware updated and lock drones everywhere. ruining peoples holidays or job.

It wasn't your fault.  There was an issue with DJIs logon service over the weekend maybe longer.  The error in your screenshot was the main symptom - Network Unavailable.  It was DJIs network which was unavailable, not your Wi-Fi connections or flight behavior.  This wasn't ever supposed to happen but here we are.  Being a DJI customer is like riding a rollercoaster, every high is followed by a low, ending sometimes at a complete stop.  I'm suffering from DFS - DJI Fatigue Syndrome.   It's gotten way out of hand.
2017-7-3
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Support doesn't even know yet the problem was internal.  I wonder how many people are still wasting their time?   
12 on your side is coming Thursday to do an interview, review videos/screenshots of the issue, go over support docs, review DJI policy and read my DJI deleted posts. If DJI doesn't listen to its customers, maybe a drop in stock price will get their attention.   Lawyers cost money, media can be free.  

Myra (DJI)
7月4日 03:47 CST
Dear Mark,

Thank you for getting back to us.

We are glad that the issue has been resolved and our engineers are working on this matter since this known issue and if it is now working then it has been fixed by our engineers.

Thank you for your time.
If you have any other inquiry in the future please feel free to contact us back anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.
Have a wonderful day ahead.
Best Regards,
Myra
DJI SUPPORT
Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST)
Online Support: http://www.dji.com/support#after
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mroach68
7月4日 03:36 CST
Hi Myra,
The issue was on the DJI side, not with the aircraft, and has been resolved. I’m surprised this hasn’t been communicated to the support staff by now. Anyway, the issue has been resolved. Not sure what DJI did because as usual they side with silence. Have a great day!
Mark

2017-7-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

I met my wife in kosamui. If I'd had a drone back then, she probably would have walked right past me while I had my eyes firmly focused on on my tablet. I feel your pain, but don't let the experience of being there pass you by.  
2017-7-3
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
China

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-3 12:00
I met my wife in kosamui. If I'd had a drone back then, she probably would have walked right past me while I had my eyes firmly focused on on my tablet. I feel your pain, but don't let the experience of being there pass you by.

nice, buddy! samui is amazing. and yes you are right. i still enjoy the trip but its only 2 hours away from my home so i will go there again+ i already have a wife haha. this holiday was specificly planned for flying drone and get some nice footage. its horrible that dji ALWAYS mess up stuff by updates! my drone was flying perfect. no problems whatsoever. and then? drone locked 90% of my holiday because a damn firmware update of 80mb.!!!
and now after the newest update i have video downlink bugs, green screens, disconnect with aircraft... you name it.

i will make all of this open to media channels. and i will try to find a way to prevent future updates.
and i still blame DJI for not commenting anything on this post. mods here should really shame themself. same as the whole dji company. before i loved my p3 and was mostly happy to get nice photos from the sky. but recently the "dji experience" is just terrible and everything is messed up. i dont know ANYBODY around me who have no problems with his drone / is not pi***d like hell about DJI.
all of this is just rediculous
2017-7-3
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
China

i begged DJI for help in this forum in the beginning. and got nothing but silence. thats not how company should treat customers
2017-7-3
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-7-3 23:21
nice, buddy! samui is amazing. and yes you are right. i still enjoy the trip but its only 2 hours away from my home so i will go there again+ i already have a wife haha. this holiday was specificly planned for flying drone and get some nice footage. its horrible that dji ALWAYS mess up stuff by updates! my drone was flying perfect. no problems whatsoever. and then? drone locked 90% of my holiday because a damn firmware update of 80mb.!!!
and now after the newest update i have video downlink bugs, green screens, disconnect with aircraft... you name it.

"i will make all of this open to media channels" -will you be on CNN and FoxNews?

" i dont know ANYBODY around me who have no problems with his drone / is not pi***d like hell about DJI. " -you must have a very limited number of acquaintances ... Most people are quite pleased with their DJI drones .
2017-7-4
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-2 08:54
NFZ are not made by dji, manned aircraft pilots are not allowed fly in NFZ without permission what makes you think you can, dji alone does not decide where NFZ are.

If an aircraft pilot flys into NFZ he can be contacted ATC and asked to leave the area land or in the case of military NFZ be blown out of the sky.

Hi

If not DJI invent the NoFlyZones, then who is

I have to make a click in two boxes and clik confirm every time i am going to take off even there are no restrictions where i fly, just a little above the city named Højby in the pictures below.

First pic. is from our official flyzone map, second is from the DJI zone map ...

{:4_142:}

B.R. KEDDK

Official DK Flymap

Official DK Flymap
DJI_Noflyzone at 2017-07-04 13-55-45.png
2017-7-4
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-24 18:47
Not buying DJI products sounds like a perfect solution to your over-exaggerated concerns about DJI firmware and DJI Go.

Enjoy whatever substandard drone you end up with.

LOL - a 'substandard' drone in the air is better than no drone in the air.  
2017-7-4
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

OK, so our local news team, 12 On My Side, has agreed to interview our local Phantom club, discuss the mandatory logon requirements, DJIs over all policy, the poor service and lack of communications.  Not going to go the lawyer route when a hit to stock price is more likely to get some attention.   Once the piece airs it will be spread via social media.  EVERYONE I talk to goes another direction when I talk to them about the mandatory logon.   I've moved on to other brands as many of you will as well if this keeps up.  
2017-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KEDDK Posted at 2017-7-4 04:17
Hi

Well I'm sure dji has to get there information from somewhere.
2017-7-4
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

KEDDK Posted at 2017-7-4 04:17
Hi

As a matter of fact, the areas in green in the Naviair map (særligt følsomme naturområder) ARE to be considered NO FLY ZONES, according to both the "old" BL 9-4 and the new rules from july 1st. If anything, you should be grateful that DJI did not put the same Enhanced Warning Zone warnings on all the blue areas you see in Naviair and the rest of the other limitations like built-up areas,campings etc...
No drone areas.png
2017-7-4
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-4 07:07
Well I'm sure dji has to get there information from somewhere.

Well, I think they have partly followed the Naviair map shown by KEDDK, but probably using big circular areas to cover irregular shapes is a bit limiting -but not THAT terrible. Note that the green GEO areas can be easily unlocked (meaning that if the police finds you flying there you would be in big trouble...) In the Naviair map the green areas are sensitive environment-protected areas and you can't fly there at less than 300 meters (and the legal limit for drones is 100 meters in DK.
2017-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-4 07:49
Well, I think they have partly followed the Naviair map shown by KEDDK, but probably using big circular areas to cover irregular shapes is a bit limiting -but not THAT terrible. Note that the green GEO areas can be easily unlocked (meaning that if the police finds you flying there you would be in big trouble... In the Naviair map the green areas are sensitive nature-protected areas and you can't fly there at less than 300 meters (and the legal limit for drones is 100 meters in DK.

I'm sure in time all of this will be ironed out and maps NFZ will be refined it may take some time and I know this won't suit many , but Rome wasn't built in a day.
2017-7-4
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

The Roach Posted at 2017-7-4 04:31
OK, so our local news team, 12 On My Side, has agreed to interview our local Phantom club, discuss the mandatory logon requirements, DJIs over all policy, the poor service and lack of communications.  Not going to go the lawyer route when a hit to stock price is more likely to get some attention.   Once the piece airs it will be spread via social media.  EVERYONE I talk to goes another direction when I talk to them about the mandatory logon.   I've moved on to other brands as many of you will as well if this keeps up.

will there be also somebody from the other side, just to be fair?
2017-7-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-4 08:03

I doubt very much whether there would be any case to answer, DJIs servers seem to have gone down over the weekend and that was it.

Then the reality comes to light :- https://www.theverge.com/2016/11 ... on-market-dominance
2017-7-4
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-4 08:25
I doubt very much whether there would be any case to answer, DJIs servers seem to have gone down over the weekend and that was it.

Then the reality comes to light :- https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/15/13629082/dji-drones-competition-market-dominance

Now I'm hearing rumors of a few failures during search and rescue over the weekend.  Now it's not even funny.  They may be the Apple of the industry but Apples do fall from tree.  
2017-7-4
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

RE: How DJI is ruining my holiday right now!

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-4 07:41
As a matter of fact, the areas in green in the Naviair map (særligt følsomme naturområder) ARE to be considered NO FLY ZONES, according to both the "old" BL 9-4 and the new rules from july 1st. If anything, you should be grateful that DJI did not put the same Enhanced Warning Zone warnings on all the blue areas you see in Naviair and the rest of the other limitations like built-up areas,campings etc...

I know, i live a little NW of Højby and have almost 3 KM to the water both against NE and SW, so i am far from the Greenzones, the closest NFZ from me is the Amber Circle at Sonnerup Skov above Lumsås. :-)

It is new with those green areas near my location on the Naviair maps but DJI have had all the green from my first picture at least a month now, not sure for how long actually.

I know the rules and if i screw up i must eat the ticket and so on, but i really dislike that DJI be it on purpose, by mistake or as can be read in http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D386%26typeid%3D386 by technical issues can stop us from flying.

B.R. KEDDK

New Naviair SS

New Naviair SS
2017-7-4
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-4 08:03

DJI has every right to defend itself.  But considering there has been no apology from them I expect they won't be interested.  I'm told it could be next month before anything airs due to post editing and what not.  I'm also hearing rumors of failures over the weekend during search and rescue - that's not even funny.  I'm working to confirm that now.
2017-7-4
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34869 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-2 08:54

I think you are missing the point, which is that the manufacturers of products do not ENFORCE limits on how you use their products, that is up to local communities in which they are used. Instead of cars think of guns (way more devastating than a UAV!), the manufacturers sell them into various jurisdictions which then enforce their use under certain conditions, open carry, concealed carry, magazine limits etc. It is then up to the end user to comply or face the consequences. Now think of DJI, as you mention, the NFZ's, guidelines etc. are already in place in most countries. Why should they now feel it is their duty to enforce those rules country by country when gun manufacturers (and others) don't? Seems like over reach to me when we have already signed T&C's which limit DJI's liability.
2017-7-4
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules