Max wind speed to fly in
21362 31 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A68CUTLASS442
New
United States

Im at the beach and want to know the max.wind speed the drone should be flown in.
2017-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantoms can easily handle more than 20 mph winds.
Strong winds may make for tricky landing and launching and you definitely need to consider your direction of flight if the wind would make the return flight difficult.
2017-6-24
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Out of interest would you also say the same if the pilot is flying in ATTI mode?

2017-6-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Make sure your props are installed correctly.
2017-6-24
Use props
WIMO
lvl.2
Netherlands

yesterday i flew in really strong wind and my p3s easily handle it
2017-6-24
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

One thing to ALWAYS remember when flying in stronger winds. Make sure you watch your battery percentage carefully and fly into the wind heading out so that you are flying with the wind on your way back. There have a few people that have lost or crashed their Phantoms because they ran out of juice on the return home due to not considering the extra power and time it takes to get back.
2017-6-24
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

embayweather Posted at 2017-6-24 05:07
Out of interest would you also say the same if the pilot is flying in ATTI mode?

When in ATTI mode the AC will drift a lot more than normal. It will maintain height but will be pushed along with the wind if you let it. You can however sometimes use the wind to your advantage by letting it move your bird, say on your return home etc. You can fly in stronger winds in ATTI mode but it can be a bit tricky at times.
2017-6-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The easiest way to determine if its a viable option :

Get the specs of the P3 and the max speed it can do horizontal.

Compare to wind speed.

Note that you will need a reasonable margin of difference between the two because while ascending - power and speed is diverted to vertical from horizontal. This applies more when flying INTO wind.
When flying WITH the wind - you have an advantage as the horizontal component is now assisted by wind.... APPARENT.

Be aware that the AC at max speed will fly at same AIRSPEED horizontally regardless of wind direction but APPARENT GROUND speed will be AIRSPEED +/- WIND SPEED (subject to angle of wind to flight direction).

I find that flying in winds approaching or more than 50% of P3 speed max capability is uncomfortable (A Mode is stated at 16 m/s or 35mph or 58kph) ... not so much the flight as once you get above a certain height and terrain influences - the air generally smooths out, but its near ground that it gets untidy.
I fly many forms of RC and when I see over 5m/s - I start to consider direction as well and whether I want to fly !! Back in UK years ago before becoming an expat - models were heavier and more capable for moderate / strong wind, but todays models are centred on lightweight giving up some of that capability.

Nigel
2017-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

embayweather Posted at 2017-6-24 05:07

Why would you want to fly in atti?
If you understand atti flying, you probably wouldn't use it much in a strong wind situation unless you had a particular reason to.
The Phantom can manage just as well in atti - but the pilot might not.
2017-6-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I think the question about ATTI is based on the perception that speed is greater in what is often called 'Sport Mode' ........... the fact that assistance to help Pilot is reduced has been ignored.

Nigel
2017-6-24
Use props
eColumbia01
lvl.4
United States

Another item to keep in mind - as wind speeds increase - even under the stated tolerance for the drone such as 20mph - the motors works much harder to maintain position. Flying in high winds can be done but the pilot needs to be more vigilant because the tolerance for error is smaller. For instance - if the stated winds are 20mph - this does not account for gusts which can go up higher than what the drone is rated for.  
2017-6-24
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-24 06:47
Why would you want to fly in atti?
If you understand atti flying, you probably wouldn't use it much in a strong wind situation unless you had a particular reason to.
The Phantom can manage just as well in atti - but the pilot might not.

Labroides, I am considering ATTI mode flyoing for two reasons. Firstly, inc ase the GPS goes down, will the machine, and indeed myself, cope in ATTI mode in a particular level of wind? Secondly, I am coming up to the practical test for my PfCO in the UK, during which I have to fly some of it in ATTI mode. I have no control over the weather, but I have control over whether I fly at all. That decision in itself could decide if I pass or fail. So I am currently getting as much practice as I can flying in ATTI, but sadly the wind around here on the coast are rarely quiet.
So as you can see it is not largely out of choice but of necessity. Thats why i am also currently looking for tips and exercises in ATTI mode to make it easier and give me more confidence whilst flying in ATTI.
2017-6-25
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Michgolden Posted at 2017-6-24 06:12
When in ATTI mode the AC will drift a lot more than normal. It will maintain height but will be pushed along with the wind if you let it. You can however sometimes use the wind to your advantage by letting it move your bird, say on your return home etc. You can fly in stronger winds in ATTI mode but it can be a bit tricky at times.

Michgolden many thanks for your reply. Perhaps I am too conservative in my flying, but I try yo avoid ATTI mode if I can and I also never fly in winds about force 4 on the surface, knowing they are likely to be much stronger higher up. I am learmnign to compensate for drifting and I am also learning that braking is much reduced in ATTI. But it is a skill I must learn, rather than one I choose to.
2017-6-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Learning to fly in ATTI mode is to be commended.

I regard myself as lucky that I flew Multi Rotors without GPS assistance before getting a P3. Therefore I am not afraid of losing GPS. But I am concerned at some of the distances I fly where I would be pushed to get it back in a straight line !!

Nigel
2017-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

embayweather Posted at 2017-6-25 03:45
Labroides, I am considering ATTI mode flyoing for two reasons. Firstly, inc ase the GPS goes down, will the machine, and indeed myself, cope in ATTI mode in a particular level of wind? Secondly, I am coming up to the practical test for my PfCO in the UK, during which I have to fly some of it in ATTI mode. I have no control over the weather, but I have control over whether I fly at all. That decision in itself could decide if I pass or fail. So I am currently getting as much practice as I can flying in ATTI, but sadly the wind around here on the coast are rarely quiet.
So as you can see it is not largely out of choice but of necessity. Thats why i am also currently looking for tips and exercises in ATTI mode to make it easier and give me more confidence whilst flying in ATTI.

Probably 99+% of Phantom flying is done in P-GPS mode and fears of GPS "going down" are exaggerated.
You have to fly into a canyon or under cover to lose GPS.

The best tip for atti flying if you need it for your test, is to practice out in the open where mistakes don't matter.
In atti, braking isn't reduced - it's non-existent.
2017-6-25
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-25 04:59
Probably 99+% of Phantom flying is done in P-GPS mode and fears of GPS "going down" are exaggerated.
You have to fly into a canyon or under cover to lose GPS.

I was trying to be the reserved British person when I mentioned braking. But I certainly know what you mean. Like driving on ice really. I appreciate what you are saying about GPS going down, Extremely unlikely but not impossible with equipment failure. As a PfCo we are required to be ready for all emergencies, that included, in fact it was included on my written test paper!
2017-6-25
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PS I do practice out in the open down at my local beach about 500 yards away. just me and the sheep, oh, and variable amounts of wind. Thank you for your thoughts, I really do appreicate them.
2017-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

embayweather Posted at 2017-6-25 07:16
PS I do practice out in the open down at my local beach about 500 yards away. just me and the sheep, oh, and variable amounts of wind. Thank you for your thoughts, I really do appreicate them.

Anywhere that there's nothing to hit.
And you can always flick the switch to be back in GPS safety in a flash anytime you need to.
2017-6-25
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I tend to keep one finger on the switch almost all the time. The beach is very flat and goes for miles, so lots of room to make mistakes. I do find the 4 Pro much better than the 3 Pro for AI flying of course. Really pleased I got it.
2017-6-26
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I fly at high altitudes up in the mountains where I live at altitudes from 8000 - 11000 feet.  I did do a morning 6:30am sunrise, hovering in a strong wind. But that was flying into a head wind brought her home at over 50mph with critical battery at 35%. She came home so fast I had arrived and come down from max height with 26% battery in the green and no red critical mode.

You can see the wind but you can watch the clouds both below and above if you have them. I was flying with clouds going one way below and the clouds above ripping at speed in the opposite direction. DJI drones are pretty robust but many still manage to crash them. Me? I guess I just got lucky lol

This video shot at over 10000 feet altitude looking at the sunrise coming over the peaks several miles away that are at 14000 feet.  

2017-6-26
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Max wind speed 10 m/s if DJI says right.
2017-6-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Peterx Posted at 2017-6-26 06:05
Max wind speed 10 m/s if DJI says right.

DJI are very over-conservative
2017-6-26
Use props
michaelts
lvl.2
United States

Skills of flying in ATTI mode are extremely important. During the first few weeks since I bought P3S, I lost GPS signals on two occasions after the take off. Most likely it was because of strong interference. Both times there was some 10-12mph wind and the drone immediately started drifting away. The first time it was 20-30 feet away and I was able to steer it and bring it back. The second time, however, it was about 50-60 feet away, and I could not see the direction it was flying to. I could not control it, I only saw it flying away and disappearing. Then I suddenly pushed "up" stick to the maximum, and invoked RTH through S2. The drone was raising up, at some point the interference became less, the drone found GPS and started returning home. Then it started descending, and when it was close, the interference was high and the drone again lost GPS signal. I landed it almost crashing.

My point is that you must always be prepared for losing GPS and flying comfortably in ATTI mode. Practice bringing the drone back in ATTI mode by looking only in the monitor. Flying comfortably in ATTI mode is especially useful and necessary skills when flying in strong winds. Last weekend, I was filming kitesurfers in 25-30mph wind. Even though the drone saw 12 GPS satellites, it was unable to maintain its position and was drifting once the sticks were in neutral. Essentially, at that point there is no difference between GPS and ATTI modes.  It seems in ATTI mode the drone flies better and can handle gusts even above  35mph.
2017-7-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

michaelts Posted at 2017-7-5 17:30
Skills of flying in ATTI mode are extremely important. During the first few weeks since I bought P3S, I lost GPS signals on two occasions after the take off. Most likely it was because of strong interference. Both times there was some 10-12mph wind and the drone immediately started drifting away. The first time it was 20-30 feet away and I was able to steer it and bring it back. The second time, however, it was about 50-60 feet away, and I could not see the direction it was flying to. I could not control it, I only saw it flying away and disappearing. Then I suddenly pushed "up" stick to the maximum, and invoked RTH through S2. The drone was raising up, at some point the interference became less, the drone found GPS and started returning home. Then it started descending, and when it was close, the interference was high and the drone again lost GPS signal. I landed it almost crashing.

My point is that you must always be prepared for losing GPS and flying comfortably in ATTI mode. Practice bringing the drone back in ATTI mode by looking only in the monitor. Flying comfortably in ATTI mode is especially useful and necessary skills when flying in strong winds. Last weekend, I was filming kitesurfers in 25-30mph wind. Even though the drone saw 12 GPS satellites, it was unable to maintain its position and was drifting once the sticks were in neutral. Essentially, at that point there is no difference between GPS and ATTI modes.  It seems in ATTI mode the drone flies better and can handle gusts even above  35mph.

"Skills of flying in ATTI mode are extremely important. During the first few weeks since I bought P3S, I lost GPS signals on two occasions after the take off. Most likely it was because of strong interference. "

Normally interference won't cause a loss of GPS.
The way you describe GPS picking up at altitude and dropping as you descend, it sounds like you did not have a clear view of the sky and had obstacles or terrain that blocked your sky view.
2017-7-5
Use props
The Committee L
lvl.1
United States

I like to fly mine in low wind, I don't like when the drone has to combat the wind just because it makes me really nervous
2017-7-5
Use props
michaelts
lvl.2
United States

"Normally interference won't cause a loss of GPS. The way you describe GPS picking up at altitude and dropping as you descend, it sounds like you did not have a clear view of the sky and had obstacles or terrain that blocked your sky view."

No, there were no obstacles blocking the sky view. The first time I was in a park. Shortly after the take off, the monitor displayed "Compass calibration error" and the drone switched to ATTI. The second time I was on a large ship. Again everything was perfectly normal at the take off, and then I saw "Compass calibration error" and ATTI mode. At that point I toggled S2 to activate RTH, the drone did not respond, and was rapidly drifting away in the direction of the wind. I started ascending as fast as I could. Once the drone was very high above the ship, "Compass calibration error" disappeared,  the drone switched to GPS mode, I toggled again S2, and this time it activated RTH. But as the drone was descending towards the ship, I again saw "Compass calibration error", ATTI mode, and the drone again started drifting away. I don't know what caused this, so I am speculating that it was storng magentic interference with something, maybe the ship's huge rotating locators/antennas.
2017-7-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

michaelts Posted at 2017-7-6 10:40
"Normally interference won't cause a loss of GPS. The way you describe GPS picking up at altitude and dropping as you descend, it sounds like you did not have a clear view of the sky and had obstacles or terrain that blocked your sky view."

No, there were no obstacles blocking the sky view. The first time I was in a park. Shortly after the take off, the monitor displayed "Compass calibration error" and the drone switched to ATTI. The second time I was on a large ship. Again everything was perfectly normal at the take off, and then I saw "Compass calibration error" and ATTI mode. At that point I toggled S2 to activate RTH, the drone did not respond, and was rapidly drifting away in the direction of the wind. I started ascending as fast as I could. Once the drone was very high above the ship, "Compass calibration error" disappeared,  the drone switched to GPS mode, I toggled again S2, and this time it activated RTH. But as the drone was descending towards the ship, I again saw "Compass calibration error", ATTI mode, and the drone again started drifting away. I don't know what caused this, so I am speculating that it was storng magentic interference with something, maybe the ship's huge rotating locators/antennas.

You didn't mention the key element in your previous post.
If your Phantom gets conflicting information from the compass and the GPS, it can't handle the data conflict and because it can't fly without compass, it ignores GPS data and bingo, your Phantom is in atti mode.
The solution is to never get into those situations that give you a compass error.
Never calibrate your compass close to a lot of steel (including reinforced concrete).
Never launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces (like ship's decks).

Get a good compass calibration and leave it alone.
2017-7-6
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27840676 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I fly both p4p and mavic. I have no issues in ATTI mode in strong winds if I have good clearance and good LOS. But it is disconcerting when you are doing a nice relaxed GPS flight and it suddenly loses GPS for no apparent reason (good sat view, LOS, clear skies etc) as in the video here around 2.30. My nightmare is in moderate winds and close to obstacles GPS just goes and you are required to suddenly 'mentally' switch to manual flight instantly otherwise it will drift quickly potentially into trees etc:
2017-7-6
Use props
michaelts
lvl.2
United States

"The solution is to never get into those situations that give you a compass error. Never calibrate your compass close to a lot of steel (including reinforced concrete). Never launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces (like ship's decks)."

I got compass calibration error when I was on a lake in the middle of nowhere. There was no steel or concrete structure anywhere near whatsoever. I moved the drone 2 feet away and the error disappeared. Maybe my drone is defective, but this pattern is not unusual and occurred several times. So I don't think the solution is "to never get into those situations" because, as the previous post's video perfectly illustrates, the drone can switch to ATTI mode without any apparent reason. You should not panic, be mentally prepared and know exactly how to proceed when you suddenly see ATTI. And the best way to do this is by practicing flying in ATTI mode in windy conditions.

2017-7-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I have to admit that I am well aware of the WITH and AGAINST wind ... and getting back home ...  - as my many posts indicate .... so what do I do ? Run out of battery and she goes into the river ....

I got her back, but she will not fly again.

Oh well it was good while it lasted ...... (flight was 5km's range if anyone wants to know .. + about 1km back and forth in the middle ... )

Nigel
2017-7-7
Use props
Poppa John
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11982 ft
United States

We got snow down in SW Virginia today and I wanted to get some drone video with white on the ground.  Weather report said the wind speed was around 4-5 mph, with higher gusts.  Under normal circumstances, I might have waited for a calmer day, but snow comes once or twice a year here, so...  I am editing some video on FCP where i want to blur the same track through different seasons, so I launched my drone on a previously recorded Waypoint flight path.  After take off I got a high wind advisory, telling me to pilot and land asap.  I ignored it and allowed the aircraft to compete its waypoint flight and capture video.  The camera should have been on through the entire flight.  The camera was set to start recording at the first waypoint, cease at the last and then return home.  The SD card was the default video storage area and there was plenty of capacity.  When I plug my SC card into my computer, no video was captured.  Was this a result of the high wind advisory and the admonishment to return home?
2021-1-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Poppa John Posted at 1-28 10:01
We got snow down in SW Virginia today and I wanted to get some drone video with white on the ground.  Weather report said the wind speed was around 4-5 mph, with higher gusts.  Under normal circumstances, I might have waited for a calmer day, but snow comes once or twice a year here, so...  I am editing some video on FCP where i want to blur the same track through different seasons, so I launched my drone on a previously recorded Waypoint flight path.  After take off I got a high wind advisory, telling me to pilot and land asap.  I ignored it and allowed the aircraft to compete its waypoint flight and capture video.  The camera should have been on through the entire flight.  The camera was set to start recording at the first waypoint, cease at the last and then return home.  The SD card was the default video storage area and there was plenty of capacity.  When I plug my SC card into my computer, no video was captured.  Was this a result of the high wind advisory and the admonishment to return home?

When I plug my SC card into my computer, no video was captured.  Was this a result of the high wind advisory and the admonishment to return home?
No ... Wind makes no difference to camera operations.
Did you start videoing?
Did you see confirmation that the drone was recording video through the flight?
Did you switch off video before powering off the drone?
2021-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules