[Q] for the community about how bad gesture mode is
881 5 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Unknown User
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63615 ft
Hong Kong

So i've been reading how DJI pretty much never promised, but never came out (lack of transparency) and told anyone that the gesture mode would be crippled at shooting only at 1440x1080. Is that less than a 2MP picture? (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/resolutionChartPopup.html)

I have the fly more combo preordered, but it hasn't shipped for my country yet. I'm on the fence about canceling my order right now. Gesture mode was about 30% of the reason I wanted this drone as my first drone. Something that was portable, easy to play with if I go hiking or on boat parties without having to wipe out my phone every single time. Something that would be easy to let my friends play with as well.

That being said, if someone has a few answers it would be a lot of help. So my ideal senario would be something like this (if I had to use my phone as well)

1) I pull out the Spark from my bag/case and I start the flight off in gesture mode.
2) Using gesture mode I position it to where I want it to be.
Q. Can I just pull out my phone, unlock the screen, turn on the app and:
    a) take a high quality self with timer?
    b)
start the intelligent tracking and video recording functions?

A bit more transparency on DJI's side would be nice. List of known issues, a road map maybe of enhancements or improvements. Maybe we should start a poll to see how many people in the community whould like full 12MP pictures for the gesture control.

Thanks for any feed back.

2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes you can just pull out phone connect your app and shoot full resolution. No there is no timer I'm aware of.

Regarding dji and it's marketing, well that's what marketing people do. It's the same in every business promote the USP. I certainly knew what ratio and resolution was before I purchased as you do.
2017-6-24
Use props
Bluewedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5174 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-24 09:07
Yes you can just pull out phone connect your app and shoot full resolution. No there is no timer I'm aware of.

Regarding dji and it's marketing, well that's what marketing people do. It's the same in every business promote the USP. I certainly knew what ratio and resolution was before I purchased as you do.

Can you explain how you knew what the ratio and resolution was before you purchased ? Specific manual or documentation. If that is what marketing people do then that explains many things.
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bluewedge Posted at 2017-6-24 11:03
Can you explain how you knew what the ratio and resolution was before you purchased ? Specific manual or documentation. If that is what marketing people do then that explains many things.

I read it in a review not to sure which one, I read many before I bought, also seen it on review, think toms tech on you tube.

Think most car dealers will always tell you what is the best MPG for the car they are selling they will never tell you the worst MPG.
2017-6-24
Use props
Unknown User
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63615 ft
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-24 09:07

Thanks for the reply. I would like to know how fluid/seamless the connection is when you hand off from starting in gesture mode to the phone. If I take out my phone do I just connect to the 'wifi' on the drone, then open the app and I'm ready to record?

If that's how I need to take my selfies maybe I could be okay with it. Though all the connection problem threads have me just as worried as well.
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Unknown User Posted at 2017-6-24 15:38
Thanks for the reply. I would like to know how fluid/seamless the connection is when you hand off from starting in gesture mode to the phone. If I take out my phone do I just connect to the 'wifi' on the drone, then open the app and I'm ready to record?

If that's how I need to take my selfies maybe I could be okay with it. Though all the connection problem threads have me just as worried as well.

Yes I know there can and have been problems with connection to wifi for some but that's what you've got to do I have tried same thing but with RC took a little time to connect, like a couple of minutes, but I kept Aircraft close so as I could palm land if there was any problem,

Once connected it's straight of the bat working from phone.
2017-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules