• >>>
United States

2017-6-24
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

I am sure that if DJI donated one CrystalSky to me to review, I would sincerely enjoy it! Safety First! Ken.
2017-6-25
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is the user interface

2017-6-29
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

Odd that you didn't say one single word about the biggest reason for getting a 1000 nit display. How readable is it in bright sunlight? Given that there will be a 2000 nit option, I have to wonder of 1000 nits is enough? Really don't care about everything else you posted.

2017-6-29
Use props
kenavata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 742126 ft
United Kingdom

Boogieman Posted at 2017-6-29 12:33
Here is the user interface

Great review,  I'm sure we would all love to see it in bright sunlight, any chance of a side by side  in the great outdoors?

Thanks, Ken
2017-6-29
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

kenavata Posted at 2017-6-29 13:11
Great review,  I'm sure we would all love to see it in bright sunlight, any chance of a side by side  in the great outdoors?

Thanks, Ken

I can say, right now, that 1500 nits is still shaky. I have an Atomos Flame recorder with 1500 nit display. With a hood on it, it's useable, but, with direct sunlight falling on the display, it's pretty dismal.
2017-6-29
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

I agree with you Raven.so a lot of people still probably is disappointed unless they go for the high option.
2017-6-29
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

raven4 Posted at 2017-6-29 13:05
Odd that you didn't say one single word about the biggest reason for getting a 1000 nit display. How readable is it in bright sunlight? Given that there will be a 2000 nit option, I have to wonder of 1000 nits is enough? Really don't care about everything else you posted.

Never had any problems with my P4P+, which has a 1000 nit screen.
2017-6-30
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I think we're getting to the "Limits" of a monitor here!

Having worked with some high intensity monitors in military applications, the emitted light from a monitor with the intensity of bright sunlight shining direct on the screen, is going to be hard to deal with regardless of just how much light the display can emit. Keep in mind, that no matter how bright the whites or highlights are; in order to see detail, there has to be contrast in the image and the ability to see the blacks & grays.

This is where the problem is; because no matter how bright the whites are - the sunlight will still lighten and wash out the blacks to a point and reduce the overall contrast - so we're right back where we were.  The point I'm getting at is; you're never going to reach the clarity and detail with the Crystalsky monitor in the sun that you will achieve with DJI goggles.

Not to be misinterpreted, while I know the monitor will be easier to see, will it be worth a grand. If a user needs to see detail in a shot, a good pro-shade for his monitor or a set of goggles will yield better results.  

Hopefully the owner could do a comparison of the Mini and the 7.8 both sitting side by side in both the shade and in direct sunlight from a few different areas.  We all understand the difficulties of shooting a monitor so we can overlook those problems.

Regards - Mike
2017-6-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike Mas Posted at 2017-6-30 09:03
I think we're getting to the "Limits" of a monitor here!

Having worked with some high intensity monitors in military applications, the emitted light from a monitor with the intensity of bright sunlight shining direct on the screen, is going to be hard to deal with regardless of just how much light the display can emit. Keep in mind, that no matter how bright the whites or highlights are; in order to see detail, there has to be contrast in the image and the ability to see the blacks & grays.

Hello Mike,
Great seeing you name on the forum.....
I met you back in the late 80's at the Merced Helicopter meet. I was flying the Red / while and blue  Vario Hughes 500 with  five bladed head... I think you did a story in Model airplane news featuring my heli.... Anyway, I hope you remember me.  

I agree that the DJI goggles are a great solution for the bright sunlight and I am certain DJI will refine these over time. I am using the iPad mini 4 with great success using the Hoodman cover.  Yes, I would like a brighter screen, but I don't want to pack around the extra weight of the crystal sky unit. The real turn-off is that DJI have the monitor locked down and you can not put any third party Apps on the device.

More and more we are seeing DJI locking down our options with these wonderful machines and it seems to be getting worse.

Hope to see you again sometime when I am in SO Cal  
Edit: I just remembered you didn't live in SO Cal...   Do you remember Don Chapman? He was a friend of mine back in the day.

All the best
Rich
2017-6-30
Use props
fans5d1c6f1b
New
Flight distance : 8671946 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know if you can use the Crystal Sky as a camera monitor as well? Thanks
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans5d1c6f1b Posted at 2017-11-15 07:01
Does anyone know if you can use the Crystal Sky as a camera monitor as well? Thanks

Since CrystalSky doesn't support HDMI input at the moment, it cannot be used as monitor of third party product.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

2017-11-15
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Crysttal sky is a ultra brighte android tablet that is locked down and loaded with Go App. No third party app to avoid any unwarranted tech issue to support this device. I would like to see a comparison between Crystalsky and Samy note 8.
2017-11-16
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

good job, thanks for your time and effort
2017-11-16
Use props
djiuser_sAyt55i
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3356 ft
Spain

Hello
I enclose a video where they make the comparison of CrystalSky:

- 7.85 "1000 nits
- 7.85 "2000 nits
- Ipad Mini
2017-11-16
Use props
djiuser_sAyt55i
lvl.2
Spain

he does not let me publish the youtube url, he tells me that I do not have permission.

When will I have permission to do it?
I would appreciate it if you activated it.
2017-11-16
Use props
djiuser_sAyt55i
lvl.2
Spain

2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_sAyt55i Posted at 2017-11-16 07:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxuwP35MhTc

Wow, great review and thanks for sharing.
Do you mean you cannot start a new thread in Forum?
2017-11-17
Use props
JNevs
lvl.1
United States

Do I have to have a mobile data connection in order to have the gps? That's 1 downfall of pretty much every tablet, in order to fly, I need a wifi or data connection for the gps and maps to work. If I'm using a wifi only tablet in an area where I'd need a data connection, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a tablet in the first place.
2017-11-25
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

JNevs Posted at 2017-11-25 18:03
Do I have to have a mobile data connection in order to have the gps? That's 1 downfall of pretty much every tablet, in order to fly, I need a wifi or data connection for the gps and maps to work. If I'm using a wifi only tablet in an area where I'd need a data connection, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a tablet in the first place.

No just cache the maps like you do in a normal android and the gps of the unit will lock on.
2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules