Flag pole, maybe something else
1105 10 2017-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chrismau808
lvl.1
United States

So I just moved into an old historical prison that's been converted into a community. Great place for photos and videos right!? Well kind of. I was lucky enough to get into the maximum security portion with a unit in the main court yard.

Problem I'm having is there's a flag pole dead center, I'll include a pic. For some reason the spark hates it, whether I'm 10 ft away or 100ft away, if I'm facing the pole the spark will not fly towards it. The screen always shows the warning something 1ft in front of it and brakes, not allowing me to fly forward.

Now if I turn off the collision whatever it is it allows me to. Also there was a point yesterday that I did that and started flying towards it and got about 10 ft from it when my spark out of nowhere dropped to the ground saying GPS was lost, good thing I was only maybe 10ft of the ground as there was no damage, but it was definitely weird for it to just drop out of the sky with loss of GPS.

So not sure if it's actually the flag pole or maybe something I'm not aware of, I've flown on the outskirts of the grounds with zero problems. Any ideas?
IMG_1570.JPG
2017-6-25
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting...I'd like to see more pics of the layout.
2017-6-25
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Were you flying towards the sun? Sometimes obstacle avoidance triggered when it detects the sun. Like this video showed
2017-6-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-6-26 03:15
Were you flying towards the sun? Sometimes obstacle avoidance triggered when it detects the sun. Like this video showed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OfE6tVU_qE

Yes,  the Mavics are notorious for this.
2017-6-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-26 03:28
Yes,  the Mavics are notorious for this.

It also happened to the Phantoms, I would not be surprised if it still persist in Spark.
2017-6-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-6-26 03:56
It also happened to the Phantoms, I would not be surprised if it still persist in Spark.

I flew my Spark for about 2 hours yesterday  (including battery charges) in all directions and didn't encountered this.  Might have just got lucky.
2017-6-26
Use props
Chrismau808
lvl.1
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-6-26 03:15
Were you flying towards the sun? Sometimes obstacle avoidance triggered when it detects the sun. Like this video showed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OfE6tVU_qE

That actually might be the problem, thank you. My first several flights were around noon with zero problems, but anytime I'm flying in the court yard it's been early evening with sun lower in the sky. Is there any fix for it?
2017-6-26
Use props
Chrismau808
lvl.1
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-25 13:09
Interesting...I'd like to see more pics of the layout.

It's a very interesting place, the history of it and what they are doing with the development of this place is great. We waited for so long to get into a unit in the courtyard. It's a historical site so most of it is original, still have bars on windows with original signage, brick interiors with polished concrete floors, we actually have a cell door in our unit. Here's another pic I took yesterday of the layout and 1 of my son and I standing outside of our unit
73F4A3D215539DDCAE169C9870C47A08.jpg
IMG_1567.JPG
2017-6-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Chrismau808 Posted at 2017-6-26 06:16
That actually might be the problem, thank you. My first several flights were around noon with zero problems, but anytime I'm flying in the court yard it's been early evening with sun lower in the sky. Is there any fix for it?

It's common in a lot of dji aircraft, the problem is you need OA to be sensitive, if you lower the sensor then will OA be good enough, a bit of catch 22.
The only way around it is to yaw AC away from Sun, anyway's it's difficult to get good photographs flying into Sun, best light will be where the sun lands its light.
2017-6-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Chrismau808 Posted at 2017-6-26 06:16

"For some reason the spark hates it, whether I'm 10 ft away or 100ft away, if I'm facing the pole the spark will not fly towards it."

I just noticed the shadow on the ground. You were flying towards the sun. That's the culprit. However, I am not really sure how to solve this problem except that not flying towards the sun when the sun is bright and low.
2017-6-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Chrismau808 Posted at 2017-6-26 06:24
It's a very interesting place, the history of it and what they are doing with the development of this place is great. We waited for so long to get into a unit in the courtyard. It's a historical site so most of it is original, still have bars on windows with original signage, brick interiors with polished concrete floors, we actually have a cell door in our unit. Here's another pic I took yesterday of the layout and 1 of my son and I standing outside of our unit

Pretty cool...thanks!
2017-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules