Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Has anyone figured out a "lifejacket" for Spark?
123Next >
12552 82 2017-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans333813f6 Posted at 2017-8-30 09:50
So I've taken 4 flights over water so far with my spark.  Two were flying from an anchored houseboat and I was up on the roof.  So no worries other than the fact that when I did return to home it kept wanting to go to an elevation LOWER than where I was standing so I didn't chance it and cancelled return to home and manually had it hover in front of me and did the catch and flip sideways to kill the rotors.  

This is an autoedit that I got from Skypixel:

Nice area and also good place to hang out I can imagine
2017-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans333813f6 Posted at 2017-8-30 09:52
This week I took 2 flights from my wakeboard boat.  My friend is a really good pilot and he has a P4 and a mavic that he's really good with and has started to build racing drones, so I trusted him.  

On the first run, My wife was surfing  and the drone started to return to home (way away from where she started surfing).  We're thinking there was a setting that basically computed battery life and when it realized it was father away than it had juice to return to "home" that it aborted. So we were able to reestablish control and brought the boat over to the drone and my buddy brought it into me and I caught it off the back of the boat's sundeck.  

So much for trusting somebody with flying your 'toy' ;)
2017-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

F.A.H. Posted at 2017-8-30 10:41
https://youtu.be/BsKRmihihPw

That looks a bit better, but how does it fly?
2017-8-30
Use props
rockmsu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 90804 ft
United States

This may be a dumb question but why are people afraid to fly it over water? Is it a known issue that it can just fall out of the sky over water? Do you lose connection more easily with the Wi-Fi? Why would water interfere more than land?
2017-8-30
Use props
Jimmers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

This looks like a promising solution.  Where did you get it?
2017-8-30
Use props
Cravenfan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

rockmsu Posted at 2017-8-30 11:47
This may be a dumb question but why are people afraid to fly it over water? Is it a known issue that it can just fall out of the sky over water? Do you lose connection more easily with the Wi-Fi? Why would water interfere more than land?

Nope, but can't retrieve the Spark if we crash into the water without a snorkel. DJI Care Refresh only works if we find the body.
2017-8-30
Use props
F.A.H.
lvl.3
Brazil

Jimmers Posted at 2017-8-30 12:53
This looks like a promising solution.  Where did you get it?

Just found this vid while searching YouTube
2017-8-30
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Dragonfly47 Posted at 2017-6-30 05:14
Homebrew "pontoons"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYlZomFf4I

Hilarious.  But cool.
2017-8-30
Use props
Ferd!
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2339 ft
Netherlands

it's a little bulky but it works, nice!
2017-8-31
Use props
SuperCurro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2357828 ft
Spain

This is my propousal for a lifejacket

The idea is have a very low impact in the weight and propellers, and at the same time warantee recover the spark for the insurance.

The weight of spark is 344 grams, with the lifejacket 377, it is rigid and has a volumen 4 times more than requrieded to avoid the dron sink. Of course is only a lifejaket it is no valid to take off from the water.
https://imgur.com/a/klzNr

2017-9-15
Use props
brian_b
lvl.3
United States

Iʻm a Spark owner, but I also have a 3D printer I use to make stuff. Iʻve made components for the TBS Discovery, DJI Flamewheel drones, so naturally, I was intrigued when I found this. Iʻm planning on printing these out eventually. Of course, the conundrum becomes apparent. Attaching this to the drone supposedly voids a warranty, but can simultaneously save your Spark from sinking into the deep.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2495370
-But Shapeways might have them ready to sell.
2017-9-15
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Cravenfan Posted at 2017-6-27 10:46
Scared the crap out of me to fly over this sand bar when I was kayaking on Saturday. I was out of my boat also.

This was on Youtube.  

I am working on copying something for a Spark.  The part I can't find in China is the long plastic bolts to push thru the foam balls (easy to find at craft store).  Then you get a set of the legs for a Spark, connect the bolts as shown, and you have a very stable landing platform (more so than the Mavic because the Spark will have a lower CG).

Note, if you decide to do  DIY project like this, test it in the tub before you take it out in the kayak.  There are other videos people have shown of their Sparks flying and landing on less than flat sea, so it can be done.
2017-9-15
Use props
brian_b
lvl.3
United States

I think there are good approaches here. Personally, I'm preferential to the spherical floats because the shape would be less drag in air, and on water it would breach surface tension on take off easier as well as adapt to level.
2017-9-16
Use props
Jaco_vh
lvl.2
Belgium

I'm going to follow this one!  Nice to see al these ideas.
Did flew the spark down off a waterfall, it was quite nerve breaking. No way to retrieve the drone when something goes wrong.
Same thing when flying over the sea... When something goes wrong, you precious drone is gone. When it floats you got a change to find it.
The footage of the waterfall can be found here (fast forward to 20seconds)

2017-9-17
Use props
lifeofpittsy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2523 ft
United States

After being terrified of flying my P3P over the water, the spark doesn't terrify me at all. My the lower cost of it makes me more relaxed. This is one of my pic from flying off the boat in the Bahamas.

Bahamas Flight

Bahamas Flight
2017-9-23
Use props
Jimmers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Jaco_vh Posted at 2017-9-17 03:14
I'm going to follow this one!  Nice to see al these ideas.
Did flew the spark down off a waterfall, it was quite nerve breaking. No way to retrieve the drone when something goes wrong.
Same thing when flying over the sea... When something goes wrong, you precious drone is gone. When it floats you got a change to find it.

Great video....looks like it was a lot of fun.
2017-9-24
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
First Officer
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Nice!! what is this gear? Did you make it yourself?
2017-9-24
Use props
F.A.H.
lvl.3
Brazil

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-9-24 10:53
Nice!! what is this gear? Did you make it yourself?

No, I saw this guy at Youtube. But he doesn’t teachs how to build one
2017-9-24
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Homebrew "pontoons"

You should put wax at the bottom that way water won't soak thru.
2017-9-24
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19465 ft
United States

I thought flotation devices came with the packing <grin> and crash protection :-) 0924171312b-small.jpg 0924171312a-small.jpg

2017-9-24
Use props
medyq69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

I have seen somewhere home made anti-sink legs - generaly u can find on aliexpress or amazon 3 types of legs (sadly short) but #1 & #2 & #3. On one video i have seen styrofoam balls attached to legs like those [link] in few dollars cost and few balance test u can do it easly - especially when u want shoots 10-30 cm above water when spark just falls down if its to close to water surface
2017-10-14
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Would love to see DJI officially build something like this into the landing gear system on future models - even drones that take off from water. Interesting times ahead - roll on the P5 and M2...
2017-10-14
Use props
medyq69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

Same mod as in earlier posts but in "combat"

2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for sharing. Even your spark has those "protection" , you still need to be careful and protect your spark from water.
2017-10-18
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Homebrew "pontoons"

Hahhahahaha...awesome it's just amazing outcome
2017-10-19
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Some of these suggestions are hilarious.  Not sure if they are functional, but hilarious non the less.
2017-10-19
Use props
fans5d9be21b
lvl.1
United States

I really need a viable solution. I'm not trying to land on water but I want SHTF protection so I can at least recover it. Where I plan on flying it's over 100' deep so if it goes down there would be no getting it back. It's also not in DJIs interest to create this product or make the drones float which kind of sucks.
2017-12-23
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
First Officer
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

I'm thinking of making my own using some styrofoam balls and some raised landing gear already purchased from the auction site.
Alternatively, these should fit the bill quite nicely:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.htm ... +spark&_sacat=0
2018-1-4
Use props
jksphoto
Captain
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

Just seen that someone is selling them on Amazon.

Spark Lifejacket
2018-1-4
Use props
MikB
Captain
Flight distance : 13346 ft
France

Just to join in the fun - this is my version which I use when I go fishing. Many more of these videos on YouTube.

2018-1-4
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Well Russians  have developed a prototype floating apparatus for planes .  When a multi million dollar  plane do not have this feature , a 700 $ drone is too far away for such a concept !
2018-1-4
Use props
S.J
Captain
Kuwait

phatav8r60 Posted at 2017-9-15 21:11
This was on Youtube.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjnp_IGKYAM

I would like to see the Mavic or the SPARK landing with some more gravitational force from the sky rather than a soft landing !
Probably a CSC in the air by the sticks would help
2018-1-4
Use props
S.J
Captain
Kuwait

MikB Posted at 2018-1-4 05:25
Just to join in the fun - this is my version which I use when I go fishing. Many more of these videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaQ4f03Cz6I

Cool video , but can you please advice what the wait after this experiment on the SPARK.

Also can you do a free fall at least from above 10 meters to see the REAL effect on water .  
2018-1-4
Use props
Madwand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

WayneMHK Posted at 2017-6-27 08:21
You could always clip one of these on it.  :-)
http://www.apsltd.com/water-buoy-1kg-auto-inflate-lift-w-light.html

Your spark is under water by the time those bouyancy floats activate, useless.  You want something like this. They will be explaining it in an upcoming episode.
  At 9:12.  Similar to the ones above.
2018-1-4
Use props
MikB
Captain
Flight distance : 13346 ft
France

S.J Posted at 2018-1-4 07:26
Cool video , but can you please advice what the wait after this experiment on the SPARK.

Also can you do a free fall at least from above 10 meters to see the REAL effect on water .

I would guess that a drop from 10 metres to any surface, let alone water, is not a good idea. You can however take off from and RTH to water.
2018-1-4
Use props
SeanGalbraith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've flown my spark about 1.4km away out over Lake Ontario from my position on the shore.  I was definitely nervous at first, but got comfy pretty quick.
2018-1-4
Use props
VenomousSVT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5492 ft
United States

i saw on amazon some bouy's that installed on the bottoms of the motors.  they were basically white foam balls that slid on the bottom of the motor housings.  This would likely give enough buoyancy if it hit the water not to sink completely.
2018-1-5
Use props
VenomousSVT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5492 ft
United States

just found what I was seeing the other day... definitely looks to me like those $2 foam balls from the craft store

https://www.rcstyle.shop/product ... rotectorlandinggear
2018-1-5
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

S.J Posted at 2018-1-4 07:26
Cool video , but can you please advice what the wait after this experiment on the SPARK.

Also can you do a free fall at least from above 10 meters to see the REAL effect on water .

Freefall won't work, you would have to weight the floats and that would exceed the Sparks lift weight, if the motor fails, it will simply roll over in the air and fall 10 meters onto it's back in the water.  
2018-1-23
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

VenomousSVT Posted at 2018-1-5 12:15
i saw on amazon some bouy's that installed on the bottoms of the motors.  they were basically white foam balls that slid on the bottom of the motor housings.  This would likely give enough buoyancy if it hit the water not to sink completely.

There are leg extensions now that are long enough to poke into the balls, you make a hole in the ball first, then fill it with hot glue, then stick the leg extension into it.  Works like a charm
2018-1-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules