Confused
825 6 2017-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nscalernn3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16565 ft
United States

After reading numerous threads on this forum and a couple of others, I am confused as to what combination of firmware for a P4 (not P4P) AC,RC and which DJI GO4, would work the best.  The reason I ask, is I have already lost one P4 to a flyaway.  I have another coming and I want to get the most dependble combination inslalled on it possible.  Thanks for your input.

2017-6-27
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been current on both for some months now with few issues.  The only issue I have seen is a limp gimbal about 3 times.  An aircraft restart fixed this each time.
2017-6-27
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fly aways are generally caused by the pilots inexperience.  I recommend you read the manual and be prepared for things like dropping to ATTI, high winds and the use of RTH, etc etc.  The firmware is unlikely to have caused your flyaway.  
2017-6-27
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
Canada

No issues on latest firmware and software except for limp gimbal issue. I wish DJI would address this.
2017-6-27
Use props
nscalernn3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16565 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-27 07:49
Fly aways are generally caused by the pilots inexperience.  I recommend you read the manual and be prepared for things like dropping to ATTI, high winds and the use of RTH, etc etc.  The firmware is unlikely to have caused your flyaway.

I have the manual memorized.  All this happened at 600' distance. The first thing that happened was the gimbal went limp.  I proceeded to try to return it to  me, at which point the RC lost total connection with the AC, both video and control.    The light on the RC turned red.  I rebooted the RC.  Rebooted the app.  Still no connection.  It;s a little hard to switch to ATTI or Sport mode when you have absolutely no connection to the AC.  This was either a hardware of firmware failure.  Return to home had been set.  It did not RTH.  Instead, if just flew off.  I was in high plains desert with LOTS of sagebrush from 2 to 3 feet high, growing closely together.  Where the AC might have landed, would have required reconnaissance from the air to see it. from the ground, the sage would have hidden it, even if one were within just a few feet of it.  This was not pilot error.  I wish it were.  At least I could learn from my mistake and not repeat it.
2017-6-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

nscalernn3 Posted at 2017-6-27 08:25
I have the manual memorized.  All this happened at 600' distance. The first thing that happened was the gimbal went limp.  I proceeded to try to return it to  me, at which point the RC lost total connection with the AC, both video and control.    The light on the RC turned red.  I rebooted the RC.  Rebooted the app.  Still no connection.  It;s a little hard to switch to ATTI or Sport mode when you have absolutely no connection to the AC.  This was either a hardware of firmware failure.  Return to home had been set.  It did not RTH.  Instead, if just flew off.  I was in high plains desert with LOTS of sagebrush from 2 to 3 feet high, growing closely together.  Where the AC might have landed, would have required reconnaissance from the air to see it. from the ground, the sage would have hidden it, even if one were within just a few feet of it.  This was not pilot error.  I wish it were.  At least I could learn from my mistake and not repeat it.

Most versions of the app and firmware are just fine but you see posts blaming them for things that were due to misunderstandings, unsuitable tablets or user error.

A lost Phantom is a double loss if you can't find out what caused the incident and learn from that.
In your case, RTH should have brought the Phantom back on loss of signal.
It would be good to find the reason it didn't.
In most cases the cause can be found in the flight data recorded by the app.
If you want to go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
2017-6-27
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. To answer the question, you should use the DJI GO 4 app for the Phantom 4 series and other later generation craft.
The correct firmware to use is the version released in November 2016 (v1.2.602). Some will suggest you keep your RC on 1.6, although mine is running fine with 1.8 - that's from memory.

Re the flyaway:  should never fly until the app has reported that GPS home location has been saved. That, or course, requires a GPS lock. Without that the P4 will not know where to return should signal be lost and you have the default action as RTH.
2017-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules