Question for Sydney Australia Shooters
703 7 2015-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I've been trying to get some CLEAR details about the restrictions of shooting in or around Sydney Harbour.   Is it simply "don't do it" or are there guidelines?

I don't mean personal opinoin, but actual enfroceable rules.   I'm speaking about hobbiest, not commercial.

All I can see are a bunch of articles written after that idiot crashed their drone into the Harbour Bridge but all they say is "CASA is going to release guildelines" which of course they did but say nothing specific, just the common sense rules.   If this were the case it would just mean keep your distance and don't fly over anybody.

Can anyone point me to actual guidelnes that spell out the dos and do-not-dos of flying aound the harbour?

Thanks!

Jim

2015-3-16
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

I sent an email to CASA asking them about it, I'll report back if I hear anything.
2015-3-16
Use props
steve2909
lvl.2

Australia

Jim, will be interesting to see the official CASA response. All I know is that there was talk of adding some no fly zones around the bridge/Opera House and Circular Quay following the incident you mentioned but nothing has been officially released. I wouldn't attempt it anyway due to current sensitivities in society about these things. Its a pretty big harbour and I am guessing (circa any other advice) like you that it may come down to common sense in the end. I do note that there are lots of joy flights across the harbour by fixed and rotary aircraft and I would keep well clear of Rose Bay area as the sea planes take off from there. Of course the Naval facility would be a big no, no. Lots of parklands away from the city that you feasibly launch from the foreshore. I'm wondering what the reaction from Sydney City council would be if someone sought a "one off" permission to do a brief flight around the main harbour area? I suspect they would just throw back all the by-laws in existence anyway. Anyhow I look forward to the official response......
2015-3-16
Use props
benjaminsink
lvl.2

United States

You should just get some awesome footage then stay away from there a while. If nothing happens what did happen then...
2015-3-17
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Thanks guys, I heard back from another Inspire owner who said there are also rules about being more than 3 miles from any helicopter landing pad, which in the city there are many.   So lots going on.  Wonder if I could just steal some shots from Cremorne Point or somewhere that's not in the middle of the action.
2015-3-17
Use props
Markc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637933 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can get a permit to fly within 3nm of a helicopter landing pad, but it's restricted to holders of CASA operators certificates, takes 2 weeks and costs $450 from CASA.  Otherwise, those areas are no-go zones. Same rules apply for any designated airport or restricted zoneas well. You must check the appropriate aviation charts before flying anywhere to be sure.
Other general RULES are

Not within 30 meters of any person and not above 120 meters above ground level.
2015-3-19
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Thanks Mark.  Another question about CASA certificates, do they allow you to break the 30 metre rule?   I was editing some commercial footage from an Octocopter and an Epic and it was clearly taken in city streets, rising above in view of the harbour Bridge and so on.

Can this be done by submitting a flight plan or would it have been done guerrilla style?
2015-3-19
Use props
Markc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637933 ft
  • >>>
Australia

They seem t be softening and it seems will allow certified operators to fly within 15 meters, but private flyers must stay at 30 meters.  You're also not allowed to fly over heavily populated sites, such as a football oval with a game in progress
2015-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules