HELP, Phantom 4 pro gimbal broken after crash (***Solved)
20471 34 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zhiran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1061115 ft
Iraq

Hello everyone,

Today i was flying my p4p and I hit a tree with a alltitde of less than 2m and the drone hit the ground on the back, the propereller was all good but the gimbal yaw broken.

The gimbal can not turn right or left, sometimes shakes and sometimes doesn't move, I don't know if I have to replace the Yaw arm or there is something else, Please help me with this problem.

Back side picture of the gimbal, the gimbal arm seems to be not straight.

19579013_1770131549669462_1530483948_o.jpg

The video of the drone on startup and when the gimbal calibrate:

I really aprecaite any help.

Thank you
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

My yaw arm has a slight bend in it. I got it on ebay from some sorry ass that sold me a gimbal with a bent yaw arm. As a result it points ever so slightly to the right. Other than that it works fine so the bend probably isnt the reason for the shacking. I cant say whats causing it but I can tell you from experience that you dont want to screw with it. I bought my p4 with a broken gimbal. I replaced the yaw arm and the ribbon wire. The cheap ass ebay ribbon wire shorted out and fried the pitch board and the gimbal/camera main board. I sold it for parts on ebay for $160 and I bought a replacement for $275. Now thats a p4 gimbal not a p4p. The p4p is quite a bit more expensive but you should be able to sell your broken gimbal for more than I got for mine. A lot of people buy damaged gimbals for rebuild. I spent a lot of time and money trying to fix mine and it just wasnt worth it. Just replace it man, trust me. Yours is at least in one piece so its very desirable for rebuild so even damaged it still has value. You can try calibrating everything. Just be sure it is absolutely level when you calibrate. Do the imu then the gimbal. If that doesnt work, sell it, get a new gimbal. Its really easy to install. There are 8 screws that hold it on then 2 more screws to remove the retainer and then disconnect the ribbon cable and power supply cable and its off. Its not at all difficult to replace. You gotta be careful though. I ended up breaking the power supply quick connect off the main board. The only thing holding it on is soldier so after repeated gimbal installations it weakened the connector and snapped off. It was no problem to resoldier it back on but just be careful. I glued it to the board after it was resoldiered so that wont happen again.
2017-6-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-28 05:32
My yaw arm has a slight bend in it. I got it on ebay from some sorry ass that sold me a gimbal with a bent yaw arm. As a result it points ever so slightly to the right. Other than that it works fine so the bend probably isnt the reason for the shacking. I cant say whats causing it but I can tell you from experience that you dont want to screw with it. I bought my p4 with a broken gimbal. I replaced the yaw arm and the ribbon wire. The cheap ass ebay ribbon wire shorted out and fried the pitch board and the gimbal/camera main board. I sold it for parts on ebay for $160 and I bought a replacement for $275. Now thats a p4 gimbal not a p4p. The p4p is quite a bit more expensive but you should be able to sell your broken gimbal for more than I got for mine. A lot of people buy damaged gimbals for rebuild. I spent a lot of time and money trying to fix mine and it just wasnt worth it. Just replace it man, trust me. Yours is at least in one piece so its very desirable for rebuild so even damaged it still has value. You can try calibrating everything. Just be sure it is absolutely level when you calibrate. Do the imu then the gimbal. If that doesnt work, sell it, get a new gimbal. Its really easy to install. There are 8 screws that hold it on then 2 more screws to remove the retainer and then disconnect the ribbon cable and power supply cable and its off. Its not at all difficult to replace. You gotta be careful though. I ended up breaking the power supply quick connect off the main board. The only thing holding it on is soldier so after repeated gimbal installations it weakened the connector and snapped off. It was no problem to resoldier it back on but just be careful. I glued it to the board after it was resoldiered so that wont happen again.

I would try to calibrate the gimbal with the P4 facing up.. It may correct the way it's pointing. I had a problem with my P4 and P4P looking to the left instead of straight ahead and this fixed it.. Learned about it in the forums here from DJI Natalia..
233525eaejcqis8xnka44z (1).png
2017-6-28
Use props
Zhiran
lvl.2
Iraq

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-28 05:32

Buying a new gimbal set will cost me around 700$ and this is way beyond expensive for me now, I have to fix it with a lower cost.
2017-6-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Sorry to read on your crash. If your gimbal is broke due to a crash, you may want to have a technician to fix this issue. You can always contact support to set up a repair.
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-28 05:40
I would try to calibrate the gimbal with the P4 facing up.. It may correct the way it's pointing. I had a problem with my P4 and P4P looking to the left instead of straight ahead and this fixed it.. Learned about it in the forums here from DJI Natalia..

Im gonna try that right now. So just sit it like in the pic and run the gimbal calibration? Thats it? Thanks for the heads up! You cant really tell in the video that its not pointing straight but you can certainly see it when you look at it.
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Zhiran Posted at 2017-6-28 06:35
Buying a new gimbal set will cost me around 700$ and this is way beyond expensive for me now, I have to fix it with a lower cost.

Have you tried recalibrating it yet? What exactly is damaged? Is it just a bent yaw arm or is there other damage? The yaw arm is not really had to replace. Its a lot easier when the ribbon wire's arent broke. Mine looks bent about like yours is bent but it may just be the angle. If its really bent it could certainly cause the issue your having.
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

OMG! Holly hell that actually worked! I am friggen amazed. My gimbals never pointed straight. Thanks a lot man. I cant believe that actually worked, im just blown away!
2017-6-28
Use props
Zhiran
lvl.2
Iraq

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-28 08:39
Have you tried recalibrating it yet? What exactly is damaged? Is it just a bent yaw arm or is there other damage? The yaw arm is not really had to replace. Its a lot easier when the ribbon wire's arent broke. Mine looks bent about like yours is bent but it may just be the angle. If its really bent it could certainly cause the issue your having.

I think the problem is with the Yaw motor, if you replace it the problem will be fixed
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Zhiran Posted at 2017-6-28 10:38
I think the problem is with the Yaw motor, if you replace it the problem will be fixed

Thats kinda what I was leaning towards. It looks kinda like a misalignment issue. I would think a new yaw motor would certainly fix it if it is. Make sure you get the right one. There are 2 different yaw motors for the Phantom 4 series. You may want to disconnect the yaw motor ribbon wire and see if it stops shaking. Just pull the cover off of the yaw arm and disconnect the ribbon wire going to the yaw motor. I think its the one on the front of the board. Technically you could fly with 2 axes of gimbal movement and immobilize the yaw movement. Im not sure how it would act on start up but if the other 2 motors will work with the yaw motor disconnected then that would get you by if you have to fly. Id just replace the yaw motor and go from they're. Its really not hard to replace. Yeah you have to pull the board with the button on it and the roll board, then the gimbal. Once the gimbal is off its just 4 screws that hold it on. Disconnect it from the yaw board and connect the new one. You dont have to mess with the main ribbon wire except to disconnect it but the main ribbon wire doesnt go to the yaw motor. The yaw motor has a seperat ribbon wire that goes from the yaw board to the motor so you wont have to screw with that. It seems like a lot but once youve done it its a piece of cake. I took mine apart no less than 5 times. I mean completely apart to replace the ribbon wire.
2017-6-28
Use props
Zhiran
lvl.2
Iraq

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-28 11:30
Thats kinda what I was leaning towards. It looks kinda like a misalignment issue. I would think a new yaw motor would certainly fix it if it is. Make sure you get the right one. There are 2 different yaw motors for the Phantom 4 series. You may want to disconnect the yaw motor ribbon wire and see if it stops shaking. Just pull the cover off of the yaw arm and disconnect the ribbon wire going to the yaw motor. I think its the one on the front of the board. Technically you could fly with 2 axes of gimbal movement and immobilize the yaw movement. Im not sure how it would act on start up but if the other 2 motors will work with the yaw motor disconnected then that would get you by if you have to fly. Id just replace the yaw motor and go from they're. Its really not hard to replace. Yeah you have to pull the board with the button on it and the roll board, then the gimbal. Once the gimbal is off its just 4 screws that hold it on. Disconnect it from the yaw board and connect the new one. You dont have to mess with the main ribbon wire except to disconnect it but the main ribbon wire doesnt go to the yaw motor. The yaw motor has a seperat ribbon wire that goes from the yaw board to the motor so you wont have to screw with that. It seems like a lot but once youve done it its a piece of cake. I took mine apart no less than 5 times. I mean completely apart to replace the ribbon wire.

I will follow your steps, thanks for the information.
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Zhiran Posted at 2017-6-28 11:59
I will follow your steps, thanks for the information.

Let me know if you need any help. I will gladly help you any way I can. I could walk you through it via skype or whatever. Like I said, Ive done it several times and you can do it. If you can follow simple directions and turn a screw driver you can do it. The yaw motor is the simplest repair on a p4 gimbal. Once you get the eight allen screws of the gimbal has to be popped off the quad. It will kinda pop off when you pry from the side. Once its loose be careful and lift it up just enough to get to the 2 screws on the metal retainer clip covering the wire connections on the p4, not the gimbal. Once thats off you flip up the brown plastic retainer on the ribbon and pull it out. Then use a pair of tweezers to grab the white plastic quick connect on the other wires making sure you push the release tab while pulling it loose. It sounds difficult but its not. One the gimbal is free you just remove the 4 screws on the top board on the gimbal itself. It has a clear plastic  piece on top, just remove that with the screws and pull up on that board and it will pop loose. After its removed you can disconnect the gimbals ribbon wires and then seperate the gimbal from the gimbal trey. Again, it sounds harder than it is. This should all take like 5 minutes.
2017-6-28
Use props
Zhiran
lvl.2
Iraq

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-28 12:29
Let me know if you need any help. I will gladly help you any way I can. I could walk you through it via skype or whatever. Like I said, Ive done it several times and you can do it. If you can follow simple directions and turn a screw driver you can do it. The yaw motor is the simplest repair on a p4 gimbal. Once you get the eight allen screws of the gimbal has to be popped off the quad. It will kinda pop off when you pry from the side. Once its loose be careful and lift it up just enough to get to the 2 screws on the metal retainer clip covering the wire connections on the p4, not the gimbal. Once thats off you flip up the brown plastic retainer on the ribbon and pull it out. Then use a pair of tweezers to grab the white plastic quick connect on the other wires making sure you push the release tab while pulling it loose. It sounds difficult but its not. One the gimbal is free you just remove the 4 screws on the top board on the gimbal itself. It has a clear plastic  piece on top, just remove that with the screws and pull up on that board and it will pop loose. After its removed you can disconnect the gimbals ribbon wires and then seperate the gimbal from the gimbal trey. Again, it sounds harder than it is. This should all take like 5 minutes.

I really appreciate your helping, thanks man.

2017-6-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-28 08:50
OMG! Holly hell that actually worked! I am friggen amazed. My gimbals never pointed straight. Thanks a lot man. I cant believe that actually worked, im just blown away!

Awesome!   Heck ya!!
2017-6-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

I'm actually at a loss as to why the don't tell people about the calibration in the first place.. I wonder what other Easter eggs are hidden in these things..
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Zhiran Posted at 2017-6-28 13:39
I really appreciate your helping, thanks man.

I got you fb messages and I replied to them.
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-28 13:50
I'm actually at a loss as to why the don't tell people about the calibration in the first place.. I wonder what other Easter eggs are hidden in these things..

I would never have thought that would work but it dang sure did, first try, boom, camera points straight for the first time.
2017-6-28
Use props
Zhiran
lvl.2
Iraq

After lots of searching and asking people about the problem. Finally i could solve it by replacing the yaw motor. and do some gimbal calibration afterward.
The gimbal is not perfect as before but the problem is solved by 100$ instead of buying a new gimbal and camera which cost 700$.
I would really want to thanks Mr. Grayson Miller for helping me all these time and answering all my questions.
With a strong community we will be able to solve all problems that cause in the DJI products.
The gimbal after repair and yaw motor replacement:

2017-7-3
Use props
fans4e49272e
lvl.1
Finland

Hi there. my camera was pointing slightly to left and i tried this camera pointing up method to solve it. Results was not what I expected. now camera is pointing 45 degrees left. here is a pic. So think twice about calibrating gimbal that way.
to left.jpg
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans4e49272e Posted at 2017-9-29 00:40
Hi there. my camera was pointing slightly to left and i tried this camera pointing up method to solve it. Results was not what I expected. now camera is pointing 45 degrees left. here is a pic. So think twice about calibrating gimbal that way.

Please try to calibrate your IMU. Then put your P4 in a position showed in the following picture and calibrate your gimbal again.
calibration.png
2017-9-29
Use props
fans4e49272e
lvl.1
Finland

I did imu and restarted drone and calibrated gimbal but it got stuck at 50 %.
2017-9-29
Use props
fans4e49272e
lvl.1
Finland

fans4e49272e Posted at 2017-9-29 09:26
I did imu and restarted drone and calibrated gimbal but it got stuck at 50 %.

I tried it a couple of times but every time it got stuck at 50 % and did not go further.
2017-9-29
Use props
fans4e49272e
lvl.1
Finland

fans4e49272e Posted at 2017-9-29 11:03
I tried it a couple of times but every time it got stuck at 50 % and did not go further.

Any ideas why the camera pointing up calibration changed the camera angle from 3deg to 45 and what are my options to get back.
2017-10-2
Use props
IndianaBeginner
lvl.1
United States

Zhiran Posted at 2017-6-28 10:38

My motor mounted to the bottom of the 4 pro is broken. Can you tell me the part# or name of the motor to purchase one. Everywhere I've looked the yaw motor and roll motor picture is NOT the same as the motor on my 4 pro. I have tried ordering an extra ribbon cable for the camera and even though the sticker on the package says phantom 4 pro, it is the p4 ribbon cable I believe (it has a small connector to go to a board which is mounted on the vibration dampener, which the 4 pro does not have).
In short do you know of a reputable dealer I can order these from?
Thanks in advance.
2017-10-2
Use props
fansb386b824
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22369 ft

Colombia

Hello, thank you very much, it worked for me, I had changed my Yaw Motor but the new one always pointed to one side, I calibrated the gimbal with the camera pointing up and corrected the problem now my gimbal is straight.
2017-10-12
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sometimes, ya gotta do whatever it takes!
2017-10-12
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Anyone know why this looking up thing works?
Curious as to why or how...
2017-10-12
Use props
fans1f0c732b
New

Thailand

Can anyone help me, I crashed my P4P and broken the yaw motor and the little metal bracket that is attached to the yaw motor, I have replaced the yaw motor and straightened the metal bracket but the camera faces to the right. I have tested flying the drone and get a motor overload. Can someone help me fix this problem.
2018-7-14
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95502 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I sort of gave up on this and put this problem on the back burner. Any ideas on how to fix this problem, this happened after crashing into a tree, I put a new shell on the P4.

2018-8-13
Use props
fans40f24df2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6198 ft
Malaysia

I did the facing up gimbal calibration..now the yaw and roll motor would not respond.

Mistake!
2018-8-16
Use props
fans40f24df2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6198 ft
Malaysia

fans40f24df2 Posted at 2018-8-16 17:04
I did the facing up gimbal calibration..now the yaw and roll motor would not respond.

Mistake!

What a stupid idea...at least for me...
2018-8-16
Use props
djiuser_NzHiOtT6w8UP
New

United States

I crashed drone into tree, took to repair shop, they repairs the gimbal but now it has no stability and gets hot to the point that the system says overload be sure to remove cap. They are refunding money spent, any ideas what I can do to fix this???
2019-3-12
Use props
djiuser_rFEwLMuMiLIt
New

United States

I have the same issue replaced all the motors, power supply, driver and esc boards it still won't calibrate and points to the left with a motor overload error, any thoughts?
2023-6-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_rFEwLMuMiLIt Posted at 6-29 10:24
I have the same issue replaced all the motors, power supply, driver and esc boards it still won't calibrate and points to the left with a motor overload error, any thoughts?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. If you are using the DJI Phantom 4 Pro, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may submit a ticket case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index . Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-7-6
Use props
Dog Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34380 ft
United States

If anyone needs a BRAND NEW (P4 Pro/ Plus/Adv gimbal with the camera) never used off a Brand New P4 Pro, I have 2, $550.00 each.
2023-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules