First Crash of the Spark
1724 5 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparky Mike
lvl.2
United States

So according to DJI Go 4 I've now flown 21 times for a total of 1 hour and 38 minutes and 18,322 feet.

Problem is, my app occasionally crashes (Galaxy S8+). When I go into Flight Data, there are several flights missing - those flights during which the app crashed.

Up to this point, whenever the app crashes I just re-open it and Go Fly and I'm right back in - the drone hovers where it was and waits for me. Takes seconds because the app icon sits on my homescreen.

However, today, I was doing a (very flat) dronie across a field. I knew the dronie was set for too far but I was planning on stopping it. My mistake. This is WITH the RC, I don't really like flying without it.

The dronie is flying away... and the app crashes. Still flying away, re-open app, IMMEDIATE crash again. Try again, immediate crash. Drone is headed for the tree line and I'm running after it, crashing the app as I run across the field.

I can see in the distance the drone has now entered the trees and leaves are flying everywhere. Low battery alarm sounds, drone is MOWING the leaves, app is crashing...

Goes into RTH and it THANKFULLY climbs above the tree somehow clearing it. Starts home and I'm able to finally reconnect and land it in my hand.

Thing was all green and smelled like a lawnmower, but no harm whatsoever. Cleaned it off a bit and retested later for a short flight, worked fine.

Super duper scary - now I have fear of flying! I guess the lesson is: ASSUME your app will crash and fly accordingly? Thinking the repeat crashes was because it was during dronie mode? Other times when it crashes I'm able to get right back in.

2017-6-28
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

Does the RC not work without the phone?
2017-6-28
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad everything worked out, but its a shame that you have to alter your flying routine under the assumption that the app will always crash.
2017-6-28
Use props
Sparky Mike
lvl.2
United States

Nixtoo Posted at 2017-6-28 10:48
Does the RC not work without the phone?

I tried using the RC to stop the dronie trajectory but it kept moving backwards (I think). I'll have to test some more, purposefully close the app while flying (in a very clear area) and see if i can still stick around.
2017-6-28
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Sparky Mike Posted at 2017-6-28 11:21
I tried using the RC to stop the dronie trajectory but it kept moving backwards (I think). I'll have to test some more, purposefully close the app while flying (in a very clear area) and see if i can still stick around.

I've had to stop the Spark while it was in the midst of performing a flat drone.  Since it wasn't rising it was headed straight for the trees and bushes.  I just pushed the pause button on the RC and it stopped immediately.    Glad your Spark didn't get damaged.  I would GUESS that the RC would still work even if the phone app crashed since the RC is wirelessly connected to the Spark.  Your phone is wirelessly connected to the RC not the Spark.  
2017-6-28
Use props
quint7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518455 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the pause button on the RC will do it. Good nothing happened. But this whole dronie thing not rising is the real problem. In fact all of the quick shots don't work very well. They go crazy.
2017-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules