Spark Remote DIsconnecting Mid Flight
49576 479 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

drone-o-rama Posted at 2017-7-10 07:31
I've also got the Fly More Green package and having constant problems with the remote disconnecting mid-flight (especially on 2nd battery)...

What's your DJI account (e-mail address)? We'd love to send you the test firmware.
2017-7-11
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

About the fly less combo and just got my remote control yesterday. First flight was a total disaster, Darcy just kept disconnecting and causing it to land or return to home. I was in an open field with no interference around. I'm going to try to 2.44 GHz and see if that makes a difference.
2017-7-11
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-11 04:02
About the fly less combo and just got my remote control yesterday. First flight was a total disaster, Darcy just kept disconnecting and causing it to land or return to home. I was in an open field with no interference around. I'm going to try to 2.44 GHz and see if that makes a difference.

How far did you get before the disconnects occurred?
2017-7-11
Use props
fansa686c875
New
United States

I have had this issue a few times but I found that if I turn Bluetooth off on my phone and take my AppleWatch off the controller works fine. I haven't throughly tested the theory yet but I think Bluetooth interferes with the controller.
2017-7-11
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-11 04:11
How far did you get before the disconnects occurred?

I was never more than maybe 100m away from the Spark the entire time but most disconnects were really close, within 20m I would say since RTH only triggered once and it landed in place the rest of the times. Tried again this morning and had better results, flew for about 8 minutes before the RC disconnected and I could not get it to re-pair. WTF!
2017-7-11
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

fansa686c875 Posted at 2017-7-11 05:11
I have had this issue a few times but I found that if I turn Bluetooth off on my phone and take my AppleWatch off the controller works fine. I haven't throughly tested the theory yet but I think Bluetooth interferes with the controller.

I had my iPhone 7+ on Airplane mode but WiFi on. I do have an apple watch and forgot to put it on Airplane mode too....I guess I'll give it another shot.
2017-7-11
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-11 03:54
Please leave me your dji account if convenient, we'll contact you for a test firmware.
Thank you!

I've contacted DJI Support related to the same issue. Can you point me to test firmware as well?
2017-7-11
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Czechia

tedder Posted at 2017-7-10 11:45
Adding to the list. Lots of drops, I'm doing Nexus 5x -> OTG -> remote -> spark. I need to switch to 2.4ghz, I know it may help a little. Even the flight in the pic- wide open, no trees in the way, nothing in the way- was failing when I took this pic. I just hit 'cancel' on RTH and wait, usually the connection returns.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6xllmmywj13vzc/20170710--3968%20x%202976-0001-2.jpg?dl=0

Hey tedder,

DJI Support wrote me that Nexus 5X is incompatible device and that's what's probably causing the issue. Honestly, that feels like nonsense as Nexus7 is compatible and have the same Vanilla Android as Nexus 5X

Anyway, I will try with my iPad Mini I have laying around somewhere to rule this out - but this definitely feels off.
2017-7-11
Use props
French Spark HK
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-11 03:56
What's your DJI account (e-mail address)? We'd love to send you the test firmware.

I never received the latest firmware despite many range issues
2017-7-11
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

So I just reset the RC, reset the Spark to factory settings and refreshed the firmware, will try to fly it again now on 2.4ghz channel and see if it improves. I have to say I'm very disappointed because I have been flying it for a few weeks with just my iPhone and it's worked flawlessly, absolutely zero issues.
2017-7-11
Use props
Riz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 671726 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-11 03:56

Hi Natalia,
I have had the same problems and I  would love to try the new firmware as well.

Here is what I have tried so far, as well as some notes:

Factory Reset
Loaded original Firmware and Upgraded to most recent on Drone and RC.
I use an iphone 7plus in Airplane mode / No Bluetooth/ No Apple Watch.Changed OTG Cable and Iphone Chord.
Reinstalled DJI Go4 App.

I noticed that it disconnects more and more after using multiple batteries.
Switching from 5.8 ghz to 2.5 ghz was better ( but horrible video transmission) but still failed repeatedly.
I'd love to try that new firmware before I pack it up and miss out on shooting with it the rest of the summer.

My DJI account email is majestk12@gmail.com

Thank You!

2017-7-11
Use props
Daveyku
lvl.1
Netherlands

Okey,

Still loosing connection mid air with RC. Even after the Downgrade / upgrade tip. Also Gimball overload message 1 min after started and now not possible to link te RC to the spark again or seeing the wifi signal. The list is pretty long already for a drone that's only used about 6 times know Still i got good hopes that it is a Software issue. Don't forget that it's not their first drone created. I give it some time before i decide to send it back.
2017-7-11
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

I got a chance to fly again since trying the following:

Factory reset Spark
Connected Spark to PC and refreshed latest (public) firmware
Reset RC (hold power for 9 seconds)
Forgot and re-paired to RC WiFI
Deleted and re-installed DJI GO4 App
Re-paired RC to Spark
Set DJI Go 4 to use 2.4ghz
Configured my preferred settings in GO4

I had a successful flight for about 12 minutes until low battery warning, flew a few thousand feet total and up to 280 feet altitude and finally had no RC disconnects. I used sport mode which got me to 30mph but noticed one weird thing - in normal/GPS mode I can only go about 6.5mph. Having just got my RC, I thought it would go faster in normal mode (~12mph) than it did when using my phone. Any thoughts on this?
2017-7-11
Use props
Riz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 671726 ft
United States

Bobesh Posted at 2017-7-11 05:59
I've contacted DJI Support related to the same issue. Can you point me to test firmware as well?

Hi Bobesh,
Any luck receiving the test firmware?
2017-7-11
Use props
tedder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91522 ft
Netherlands

Bobesh Posted at 2017-7-11 06:09
Hey tedder,

DJI Support wrote me that Nexus 5X is incompatible device and that's what's probably causing the issue. Honestly, that feels like nonsense as Nexus7 is compatible and have the same Vanilla Android as Nexus 5X

Hmm. Lemme know, definitely. But yeah, doesn't make sense because the wifi is from the controller. But I'd grab a little ipad if that fixes it.
2017-7-11
Use props
ernieken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547641 ft
  • >>>
Andorra

Must be definitely an issue with the RC. Flew 20+ times with my spark (in different regions) with and Ipad mini (5.8 GHz) without any issue. Tried different automated functions (helix, rocket, dronie, tracking, ...) without issues. Think I will wait to order an RC until the issues are resolved.
2017-7-11
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Czechia

Riz Posted at 2017-7-11 10:18
Hi Bobesh,
Any luck receiving the test firmware?

Not yet :/
2017-7-11
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Czechia

tedder Posted at 2017-7-11 10:53
Hmm. Lemme know, definitely. But yeah, doesn't make sense because the wifi is from the controller. But I'd grab a little ipad if that fixes it.

I'm currently resuscitating my old iPad Mini 2. That thing was off for quite some time I'll try and let you know.
2017-7-11
Use props
Kubicus
lvl.2
United States

So I am using Android with an OTG cable and I cannot change to 2.4Ghz nor change the channel. When I go to that menu I can't change any settings and there isn't even an option to switch to 2.4  I tried doing a search and did not come up with anything useful..  would anyone mind sharing how they are able to get the remote to talk to the bird at 2.4?
I too am seeing remote disconnects, but only when I fly outside (has been near 100 degrees here lately).
2017-7-11
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

Did a few more flights and same thing, the Spark disconnects from RC all of a sudden. Started a support chat and the 'person' said to watch the Youtube tutorials, FML. Once I told him the steps I have taken so far, he suggested I send it in - what options do I have as far as getting access to the beta/test firmware? Very disappointed in the performance with the RC, especially since it worked awesome the past few weeks with just my phone.
2017-7-11
Use props
fans72e8b49d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5188369 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-9 15:44
Do you all have the same color as the spark?

Same purchase period?

I too had green spark. Disconnect while flying in sport mode total lost the drone haven’t found it yet.
2017-7-11
Use props
fans01d04895
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4321745 ft
  • >>>
United States

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-11 10:05

Factory reset Spark

Will go 12 mph with obstacle avoidance turned off in the app!,
2017-7-11
Use props
NewtonLeWilows
lvl.1
United Kingdom

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-11 10:05

Factory reset Spark

Same here but I think its meant to be about 6mph unless in sports mode
2017-7-12
Use props
fans085252ed
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51877 ft
Croatia

NewtonLeWilows Posted at 2017-7-12 02:08
Same here but I think its meant to be about 6mph unless in sports mode

hi Natalia im in europe and i have fly combo, after 50 meters  it say on screen aircraft is disconnected from controller, but i still control the spark in the air.
and i cant change from 5.8 to 2.4 .... please help   ntreso@gmail.com
2017-7-12
Use props
Webdrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 674938 ft
France

Kubicus Posted at 2017-7-11 14:49
So I am using Android with an OTG cable and I cannot change to 2.4Ghz nor change the channel. When I go to that menu I can't change any settings and there isn't even an option to switch to 2.4  I tried doing a search and did not come up with anything useful..  would anyone mind sharing how they are able to get the remote to talk to the bird at 2.4?
I too am seeing remote disconnects, but only when I fly outside (has been near 100 degrees here lately).

Interested in finding out as well how to force 2.4Ghz. I've read about doing a WiFi reset (9 seconds/3 beep) and then it stays on 2.4Ghz until it is turned off/on. Is that the way people are doing it here ?
2017-7-12
Use props
rightLANE
lvl.1
United States

How's the new firmware treating those of you who have been testing it?
2017-7-12
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Czechia

Hey guys, after browsing the forum for ages to resolve my Spark issues - I've created following thread with all important information for European Spark users.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=104320
2017-7-12
Use props
fans6aaea0b4
New
Indonesia

Hi Natalia ,
I am also experiencing the same issue as all other people in this forum. Please let me know the procedure to send you all the data you need. 2 days ago I was asked by the Customer Service to send back my drone and my RC, but looking at all comments, I am hoping a new update will soon fix this so anoying issue. So I prefere to wait before sending back my drone.

Thank you in advance.
2017-7-12
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

fans01d04895 Posted at 2017-7-11 21:17
Will go 12 mph with obstacle avoidance turned off in the app!,

That makes sense, I'll give that a shot. Any ideas how to get access to the beta firmware?
2017-7-12
Use props
Daveyku
lvl.1
Netherlands

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-12 05:19
That makes sense, I'll give that a shot. Any ideas how to get access to the beta firmware?

Still awaiting test firmware here. Still loosing RC connection
2017-7-12
Use props
Pigdog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1995 ft
United Kingdom

First flight today, only received the fly more combo yesterday in white, first battery no issues took it to battery low warning 30%, 2nd battery flew for 9min 23s and the same issue as everyone else it was 10 ft away from me at about 6ft height and it disconnected with the timeout warning let it hover till battery ran out and landed in the same spot it was hovering. Was using iPhone 6s via OTG cable in a clear open field.
2017-7-12
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

A lot of chatter about this issue over on the RC Groups forum Page 186-187

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... er-s-Thread/page187
2017-7-12
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

I took a test flight today in a remote field with no interference, set to the best 2.4ghz channel and had a full 14 minute, 5k foot flight without a single RC disconnect.....Slowly rebuilding my trust in this thing!
2017-7-12
Use props
fansfcc89423
lvl.2
United States

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-12 08:58
I took a test flight today in a remote field with no interference, set to the best 2.4ghz channel and had a full 14 minute, 5k foot flight without a single RC disconnect.....Slowly rebuilding my trust in this thing!

Good hear that you were able to fly that far without any issues, i launch from my drive way yesterday took it up to about 200feet got to about .4mi close to being near the lake flying over vast amount of trees got disconnect from the spark no video feed from my iPhone 7+ try to activate RTH and all i would get is command time out  pull back on the joy stick to back it up nothing. then after a few seconds it activated the RTH it came home and land itself sign relief. but even after all that there was still no connection with the remote and i still had a black screen on my iphone 7+ turned the spark off changed the battery start it up again and in about 3min i regained video feed.

I have been flying it with the channel set to auto so it could find the best signal possible on its own there is something definitely going on with the remote hope they find a fix soon. Also i ave been using the OTG cable because the very first flight my spark lost signal with the remote at 25meters.  
2017-7-12
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

2.4ghz seems to be the ticket, find a channel with low interference at the beginning of the flight. I will report back my subsequent flights as I really need to be confident in its abilities before shooting anywhere remotely risky. My extra batteries couldn't come soon enough, waiting to charge the single battery is a PITA!!!
2017-7-12
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like the OTG cable config fix my 5.8ghz issue.   LITERALLY, if I use 5.8 ghz at ALL the connection is total crap.  Is this a remote issue or what???  Can it be fixed in a fw update??  DO I need a new remote or bird?   I am leaving for vacation at the end of August and I SURE don't want to be without Sparky on my trip.

2017-7-12
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

I have found the same, did another successful full flight this afternoon with no RC disconnects. 2.4ghz seems to be the best bet, making sure to select a low-interference channel.
2017-7-12
Use props
fans6aaea0b4
New
Indonesia

Hi Natalia,
I have the same issue as all other people in this forum.
Here is the Dropbox link for the BlackBox,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wif21 ... -eb0EPDpnNPwya?dl=0

Can you please send me the link to update the Firmware ?

Thank you
2017-7-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Bobesh Posted at 2017-7-11 05:59

I received your message and have informed our engineers about your concern, will help you handle it soon.
2017-7-12
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I had the same issue. I also believe it overheated, as it malfunctioned after about 10 minutes of use on a 95+ degree day.

Warning: If you send it back and have Refresh, when you put the service order in they will recommend you use the refresh. Know that even if it is a defective unit the DJI people do not care because you fallow the advise on the web site and use your refresh. I was told I should not have used Refresh (even though the web site said to) and had I sent it in for repair they would have sent a replacement (if found defective) without using the refresh contract. I believe it was done on purpose to make you pay for the shipping and handling and so you loose one of the two refreshes you have.
2017-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules