Spark Remote DIsconnecting Mid Flight
49560 479 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikahopity
New
United States

harrismix Posted at 2017-7-15 06:54
Can anyone with the test firmware please tell us if it has fixed the problem or if you still continue to have disconnects after updating to the new firmware?  Thanks

I am having 100% the same issue.  Went to show off the Spark to my family yesterday and it was embarrassing at best, and dangerous at worst.

It was almost 100 degrees here in NC, and reading through this forum, I'm convinced this is an overheating issue that I'm skeptical that a firmware upgrade is gonna be able to fix.

What is the ETA on this firmware?  If this doesn't fix the issue, and the drone itself remains unusable, then I want my money back.
2017-7-15
Use props
harrismix
lvl.1
United States

As far as I see from the comments it's only when using the controller but of course it may be akward to some to have to use their phone. I was planning on getting the controller but I'm holding off and using my phone until I see this is resolved . . . if it can't be resolved and they essentially don't have a reliable controller available for the Spark then I'll sell it, something I don't want to do really because I like it.
2017-7-15
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

I have had a spark and remote for 2 days. The first time I tried it was at a Lake in the middle of nowhere. I was using an iPad mini 4 in the RC connected with a USB cable. I took off and flew about 15 feet and the RC disconnected from the Spark and wouldn't reconnect. When I got home I linked the RC again and it connected but will go through a disconnect/reconnect cycle. Sometimes rebooting the RC and Spark seem to make the connection more stable. I certainly don't trust this thing now!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/611rx ... 7Zl5rR3X9dMcZa?dl=0
2017-7-15
Use props
fans0c2917d9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9738 ft
Canada

I was having the same issue of the Dji go 4 app getting disconnected. Then I went on holiday to the Caribbean and I never got the issue while flying there.
I live in Milton Ontario and I've got a Spark and Mavic. I use either a Samsung Galaxy note 4 or Note 5 to fly both aircraft. Interestingly I have never ever had the app disconnect issue while flying the mavic, on either device. However both devices will get the aircraft disconnected message while flying the Spark.
I went on vacation down to the Caribbean and got back this morning. However while there I never got a disconnect issue with the Spark using either of my devices. This seems to be related to the Dji go app and your location. I just tried flying the Spark again back in Milton Ontario and the app disconnects. Dji why is this taking so long to be resolved?? I hope my post helps.
2017-7-15
Use props
ToyCarCollector
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202126 ft
United States

Today I was flying at our mountain cabin in the woods. First flight and all seemed fine. Sparky was up and out about 30 feet. All of a sudden the RC disconnected.  She then began to rise and I could not stop her.  I repeated OMG over and over while watching her rise into the 200 foot tall fir trees.  I knew she was a goner.  At 80 feet she hit the first branch, danced around a bit and down she came. Bounced off the side of another tree and hit the ground.  Everyone was watching.  Fortunately the ground was soft and covered with moss.  Just a few stains and damaged props.  Remote would not turn off, looked up that answer on line and shut it down.  Started over and she flew solid again, but too scared to go anywhere.  I had not seen these pages of distressed owners discussing this issue until tonight.  Hopefully this can be corrected before Sparky misbehaves again and ends up irretrievable.  I wonder if PayPal would assist with return of defective product? You may want to check your credit card guarantee provisions if this turns out to be a Samsung Note 7 type of design flaw.  
2017-7-15
Use props
Blackforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33140 ft
United Kingdom

If you live in the U.K. You have loads of rights. Not sure about USA.
2017-7-16
Use props
Delsian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11132 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Blackforce Posted at 2017-7-16 00:02
If you live in the U.K. You have loads of rights. Not sure about USA.

Same troubles.  It is difficult to connect remote to spark.  Almost impossible. But sometimes it  does connects (undiscribable sequence of 3buttons presses). And stays connected for up to 10 seconds. I could even start motors from remote than it disconnects for no reson and after a while Spark stops spinning its propellers by itself.

Here is my BlackBox files if you need more: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qthzi53snpg17b/WM100Export.zip?dl=0

Thanks,
Alex.

P.S. The problem is that I've got my drone in Orlando from one of your dealers while traveling. So sending it back and forth is not an option.. What shall I do?
2017-7-16
Use props
massimo131266
New
United States

Same issue here. Most likely on second battery. I believe is an overheating issue. The "little thing" turns off at landing. All get disconnected showing a massage on screen which says "Main controller data error". Sometime the whole pairing procedure has to be done again. Frustrating. I've got the Mavic and not such a pain. Most likely I'll be forced to return it if you do not find a solution.
2017-7-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Daveyku Posted at 2017-7-15 04:56
And still not the test firmware after 5 days ..... please send it to me.

When connecting your remote to mobile device, run dji go 4, you did not get the notification to upgrade it?
The internet is great, and you login the account, right?
2017-7-16
Use props
girien
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481713 ft
Spain

I have the same problem, I have a Green Spark Combo.

Can i have the beta FW to test it?

Thanks!
2017-7-16
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25085 ft
Spain

I connected the control panel, no updates
2017-7-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

girien Posted at 2017-7-16 23:41
I have the same problem, I have a Green Spark Combo.

Can i have the beta FW to test it?

The official firmware will be released soon, please wait patiently, thanks.
2017-7-17
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

Dear Natalia, in connection with the fact that my remote control is constantly losing contact and I no longer want to cut my fingers about the propellers that would not spoil the spark or anyone. It lies and I do not use it. Send me a new firmware. I'm ready to test and describe whether there is a change or not. I'm not comfortable with it every day to connect remote control to check for updates
2017-7-17
Use props
Roli6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 589528 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Hopefully the new firmware will be released very soon.
I have the same disconnecting Problem.
2017-7-17
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

The Beta RC has resolved the issue for me, I have flown for over an hour since and only had it happen once, almost 400' directly overhead and it instantly reconnected. The one bad thing about the beta upgrade is that my OTG cable doesn't seem to work but I got it since updating the firmware so I can't say for sure it's the cause.
2017-7-17
Use props
Delsian
lvl.1
  • >>>
Ukraine

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-17 07:22
The Beta RC has resolved the issue for me, I have flown for over an hour since and only had it happen once, almost 400' directly overhead and it instantly reconnected. The one bad thing about the beta upgrade is that my OTG cable doesn't seem to work but I got it since updating the firmware so I can't say for sure it's the cause.

Is Beta RC available for everybody to try?
Today I had to use my phone only and it wasn't effective at all.  
I wish to come back to the remote  ASAP. Where can I get Beta?
2017-7-17
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

Delsian Posted at 2017-7-17 07:30
Is Beta RC available for everybody to try?
Today I had to use my phone only and it wasn't effective at all.  
I wish to come back to the remote  ASAP. Where can I get Beta?

PM DJI Natalia. Be warned that it will kill your OTG connection, at least that's what I've found.
2017-7-17
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6260 ft
Greece

Hello,

I have had exactly same problem today. I brought the drone for holiday witb me in crete. I fly only in beginner mode. Full gps. Drone calibrated before taking off. I decided to go from the roof top of my hotel to have a great view of crete. Takes off with RC. Firsr battery ok. I put second battery. Drones take off. I fly over roof and other house but no more than 10mts away since i am always very scared to lose the drone. Suddenly the RC disconnects. The drone does not get back to its take off position. Instead it starts dropping to the ground. Luckily enough, the ground was the garden of my hotel. Drones stays flying on top of a roof of one apartment. Try to catch it but nothing, couldnt reach it. Battery discharged and the drone drops hitting the roof of the apartment and luckily enough bounces back to the garden. 3 more neters aways and drone would have been lost forever. How am i supposed to ever fly it again? How can i try to take aerial shots if it could suddenly disconnect? I feel totally unsafe. This is not cool dji not cool at all. I feel you owe an explanation. How can i ever trust again the drone even after the firmware upgrade? What if i trust ur...fly over water and suddenly it disconnects. Who pays for it then? I wanna exhange it for a mavic and pay the diff please. Not cool at all DJI
2017-7-17
Use props
Delsian
lvl.1
  • >>>
Ukraine

dims85 Posted at 2017-7-17 13:08
Hello,

I have had exactly same problem today. I brought the drone for holiday witb me in crete. I fly only in beginner mode. Full gps. Drone calibrated before taking off. I decided to go from the roof top of my hotel to have a great view of crete. Takes off with RC. Firsr battery ok. I put second battery. Drones take off. I fly over roof and other house but no more than 10mts away since i am always very scared to lose the drone. Suddenly the RC disconnects. The drone does not get back to its take off position. Instead it starts dropping to the ground. Luckily enough, the ground was the garden of my hotel. Drones stays flying on top of a roof of one apartment. Try to catch it but nothing, couldnt reach it. Battery discharged and the drone drops hitting the roof of the apartment and luckily enough bounces back to the garden. 3 more neters aways and drone would have been lost forever. How am i supposed to ever fly it again? How can i try to take aerial shots if it could suddenly disconnect? I feel totally unsafe. This is not cool dji not cool at all. I feel you owe an explanation. How can i ever trust again the drone even after the firmware upgrade? What if i trust ur...fly over water and suddenly it disconnects. Who pays for it then? I wanna exhange it for a mavic and pay the diff please. Not cool at all DJI

Correct! As much as I trust my Mavic, I cant be sure with the Spark. Today I was flying it along the beach with my phone to get an aerial for my project (my RC doesnt connect to Spark) And couple times I got disconnect warning and instead of coming home it was triyng to land into  the river. Scary.
2017-7-17
Use props
Webdrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 674938 ft
United States

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-17 09:05
PM DJI Natalia. Be warned that it will kill your OTG connection, at least that's what I've found.

Ouch, Android or iOS ?
2017-7-17
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
Greece

Is anybody from DJI gonna pick my previous query? I cannot fly the spark, i feel unsafe and it might be dangerous! How are we going to fix this issue?
2017-7-17
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

The support service reacts very strangely to our posts. Most likely the guys are not very interested in solving our problems. I bought it specially for a vacation trip. Now it lies and waits when dji gives birth to a normal firmware. Taking off driving from the phone is not convenient, 20 meters and the drone loses touch. The remote does not work. Reminds the story with Samsung, but it's unlikely that we will get the money back
2017-7-18
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
Greece

well I give DJI a day to address the issue and get back to me. If they do not... I will campaign to make sure everybody out there knows exactly what they r getting when buying from DJI. Will contact bbc, internet influencers, etc. Nowadays it s pretty simple to be heard tbh.
2017-7-18
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

I'm from Russia. At us on forums the people the same writes about problems of this kind. Already the people are beginning to resent
2017-7-18
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

dims85 Posted at 2017-7-18 03:55
well I give DJI a day to address the issue and get back to me. If they do not... I will campaign to make sure everybody out there knows exactly what they r getting when buying from DJI. Will contact bbc, internet influencers, etc. Nowadays it s pretty simple to be heard tbh.

If you think that black mailing them because you feel insecure to operate the Spark is the way to go then I think you made the wrong choice.
There are issues but that's not the way to tackle them.

2017-7-18
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

The new RC firmware (beta) has fixed the issue for me so far. Believe me I'll report back if the RC disconnects mid-flight again but so far, so good.
2017-7-18
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
Greece

Hi cwe0002, thanks for your reply. How did u download the new RC firmware (beta)? Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
2017-7-18
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

I PM'd DJI Natalia and it just showed up the next time I connected my phone to the RC. They keep saying that the beta will go to production very soon so you may need to just wait.
2017-7-18
Use props
Daveyku
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-16 18:01
When connecting your remote to mobile device, run dji go 4, you did not get the notification to upgrade it?
The internet is great, and you login the account, right?

It says it's up to date !
2017-7-18
Use props
Daveyku
lvl.1
Netherlands

Daveyku Posted at 2017-7-18 07:36
It says it's up to date !

Okey, when i downgraded the version it finally noticed the beta firmware.  
2017-7-18
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
Greece

In my case it says that the firmware is up to date. How do I get this beta firmware version? Any help would be incredibly appreciated! Thanks
2017-7-18
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

Well, friends. I understand that the support service stopped responding to help and follow us. Only business, or anything personal. And how much you spent on this semifinished product, your difficulties. Wait for the firmware as the weather near the sea
2017-7-19
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 00:03
The official firmware will be released soon, please wait patiently, thanks.

But can we not wait patiently? The vacation will soon be over already. All who buy a spark must wait patiently? But let's give you sparks and wait patiently for them
2017-7-19
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
United States

Logged another 3 full batteries of flight with the RC update and NO DISCONNECTS. I even tried 5.8ghz because I was flying with my friend who has a P3S and didn't want to have interference, absolutely no connection issues. At this point I'm completely happy with the Spark besides the quickshots working half the time which will hopefully be fixed soon.
2017-7-19
Use props
girien
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481713 ft
Spain

I just download the new version, in 3 hours i will fly the spark and report!
2017-7-19
Use props
fans43d12935
New
Flight distance : 2034 ft
Spain

Hi All

hoping this mythical firmware is released soon as Ive almost lost my spark lots of times with it disconnecting mid-flight when using the remote control. Today I was luck as I was 10ft away from the drone and it lost connecting and tried to land in the pool, my wife was just coming out and managed to dive in and grab it before it landed in the water.

I contacted DJI support and they told me to not use the RC until there had been an update which they will notify me about.

I'm on holiday at the moment and feel I can't get the great aerial shots I wanted to get

Robbie
2017-7-19
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi guys can anybody help me to find the beta version of the firmware? I tried to downgrade and upgrade but I still don't find it. What else should I try?
2017-7-19
Use props
lyndon_spark
lvl.2
Sweden

Is this the same issue that has cause many of the Sparks to "fall out of the sky"? I'm eager to buy my Spark but worried about these issues.
2017-7-19
Use props
tsuper35
lvl.1

United States

Spark disconnected with remote with second battery, I believe it had something to do with heat, I was flying outside with the the sun at about 93ºf, the aircraft disconnects and returned to home, hopefully DJI develops a software fix.
2017-7-19
Use props
gkelly
lvl.1
Canada

I'm having the same issue.  DJI support told me to reflash the firmware and do an IMU and compass calibration. I'm worried that this was a "try this maybe" kind of response and not a "we know what's wrong, and this will fix it" response.  The support person I talked to didn't know if the next firmware would address the issue and did not know when the firmware was going to be released.

DJI Natalia, does DJI still want logs from these events?  People on the beta firmware, does it fix the issue for you?
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules