Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Almost crashed this evening
749 14 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SHRED
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117923 ft
United States

Everything checked out.
Got the green light ready to fly.
Had many satellites locked on.

I flew it up and out over where I wanted to get some shots and it started throwing "Compass Error" warnings, "interference" error warnings and saying "ATTI Mode!". No more GPS.

Now the wind was breezy. A pretty stout breeze. Bad enough to really give me fits and a near heart attack. Luckily I've practiced in ATTI mode. I am not that good in ATTI especially being windy but I was good enough to hard land the bird with no damage. I thought for sure I was going to hit the trees and maybe the condos.

Needless to say that area is off limits.
Maybe all the concrete? The fencing?
ON EDIT>> I made a fatal error when I launched from that reinforced concrete bench. I think that is what the problem was now that I have been informed on another disscussion group.

Here's the harrowing video.

2017-6-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Did you calibrate the compass before flight?  
2017-6-29
Use props
imagine it
lvl.4
United States

Rather scary.
2017-6-29
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"ON EDIT>> I made a fatal error when I launched from that reinforced concrete bench. I think that is what the problem was now that I have been informed on another disscussion group."

That sounds highly plausible, if you'd powered it up on bench then the initial compass reading would most likely have been skewed, causing problems after take off.
2017-6-29
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I think you are "Spot-On" about the concrete or fencing. Even those concrete benches and such either have re-bar or wire in them. The steel fencing could also pose a problem. I have experienced these same situations only a couple of times, getting the compass errors after takeoff, and I immediately land and move the aircraft a couple feet or to anywhere I think will be away from interference, and I have always managed to have success when moving. Don't mess with those errors in my opinion and think it will come out of it. Start over!
As far a calibration, I do as many others. Get a good calibration in an open area and leave it alone. I haven't calibrated now for probably 9-months now, and I fly pretty frequently and I have never had anything like  a fly-away or odd behavior. But like I said I have had that error, but didn't re-calibrate, only moved my takeoff location. Hope this makes some sense to you and your situation.
2017-6-29
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

Man, do I know that feeling.
2017-6-29
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

The question I would have is did you calibrate the compass on/near the metal/concrete or not?  That is what I would expect caused all the issues. Just taking off from an area with interference I don't think would do it if the calibration was untouched. It would show interference while on the ground but should clear up when in the air away from it all.    IIRC
2017-6-29
Use props
SHRED
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117923 ft
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-6-29 16:32
The question I would have is did you calibrate the compass on/near the metal/concrete or not?  That is what I would expect caused all the issues. Just taking off from an area with interference I don't think would do it if the calibration was untouched. It would show interference while on the ground but should clear up when in the air away from it all.    IIRC

It was already calibrated. I didn't do it there. I only got error messages after I was airborne.
2017-6-29
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
United States

SHRED Posted at 2017-6-29 17:20
It was already calibrated. I didn't do it there. I only got error messages after I was airborne.

That's what was making me wonder, If you took off from the concrete, you *should* get warnings (while on the concrete) if you had a *good* calibration.
2017-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-6-29 19:15
That's what was making me wonder, If you took off from the concrete, you *should* get warnings (while on the concrete) if you had a *good* calibration.

Not necessarily.
There have been many cases of similar (and worse) results when you launch from steel or reinforced concrete.
2017-6-29
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-29 19:39
Not necessarily.
There have been many cases of similar (and worse) results when you launch from steel or reinforced concrete.

Whenever mine is sitting on concrete I get warnings.
I guess if the concrete is not made to code?
2017-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-6-29 20:04
Whenever mine is sitting on concrete I get warnings.
I guess if the concrete is not made to code?

Lots of variables.
It's not that your Phantom is on concrete - it's the steel in the concrete.
But there could be more or less steel, there could be more concrete over the steel etc.
2017-6-29
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Yikes, that was a close one!!!
2017-6-29
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-29 20:18
Lots of variables.
But there could be more or less steel, there could be more concrete over the steel etc.

Yes I know about the steel, hence the code comment.
2017-6-30
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-29 20:18
Lots of variables.

I agree with you Labroides. I have run into that before. The steel seems to be the culprit, not the concrete. You have no way of knowing depending on where you are, but almost guaranteed that just about any concrete will have some wire or re-bar of some sort. I don't think necessarily that it will clear up just because you get into the air. I have received the error after takeoff (nothing when I fired it up), and brought it down right away and then take off from another spot and the error never came back. Must have been something in the ground that I didn't know about? I never take off from any concrete surfaces myself. I understand if you are in a large area like a parking lot or something, and my suggestion would be to take off from your hands........that is holding the phantom up off the ground with your hand.
2017-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules