Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Landing tips on a moving boat
12767 28 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6c536c0d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2211257 ft
United States

Recently flew my mavic on the coast off of a large sailboat. Taking off was a little tricky but as soon as I got past that I knew landing would be difficult. Got it near the main deck of the boat and considered grabbing it by the bottom (was not having much luck landing it otherwise) but when I reached for it it reacted like it sensed a forward object and rocked me right in the chest. Bounced off me and luckily my friend caught it. Those blades are brutal. Drone is fine. Any else got any experience doing this?
2017-6-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

When flying on a moving boat, especially landing, you need to pay attention to the relative speed between the drone and the boat.
We suggest that you land the drone by controlling the RC cause if the boat moved, the home point will not be the same.
Besides, you should also notice about the flight height and do not fly too near to the boat.
There are just some of the points. Be careful and enjoy your flight.
2017-6-28
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Probably try to handcatch it when the boat is the most stable. Landing while moving is very hard, because the moment it goes into landing, it will only move very very slow when you try to correct, or you should disable landing protection, but that can get nasty.
2017-6-28
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

I rig a landing "pad" in the bow of my 30' speedboat -- using an upholstered panel from the the electrical compartment to span across the u-shaped seating.  It is only about 12" below the gunnels, and has some spring to it, so works well as a shock absorber.   Drone flies forward in front of the boat, at a low altitude -- only what is necessary to avoid any bow movement in waves.   Also, go downwind with the boat -- it will be more stable in chop.
2017-6-29
Use props
Alperdronie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89649 ft
United States

Turn off landing protection stop boat reach out and grab from the bottom. Practice this technique before attempting on boat.
2017-6-29
Use props
fans6c536c0d
lvl.1
United States

Alperdronie Posted at 2017-6-29 07:30
Turn off landing protection stop boat reach out and grab from the bottom. Practice this technique before attempting on boat.

Awesome thanks guys for your tips! Been out at the beach all day today getting some great stuff
2017-7-1
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

stop the boat!   sorry couldn't resist ! haha
2017-7-1
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

I always hand launch and catch on boats.  Much easier and safer.  And always launch facing the side of the boat, not the front or back.  That way if the engines are still idling forward or backwards you won't get hit.
2017-7-1
Use props
singgiha
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3583675 ft
Indonesia

Someone told me that we can set the mavic to tripod mode....

What do you guys think ???
2018-3-23
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2017-6-29 05:45
I rig a landing "pad" in the bow of my 30' speedboat -- using an upholstered panel from the the electrical compartment to span across the u-shaped seating.  It is only about 12" below the gunnels, and has some spring to it, so works well as a shock absorber.   Drone flies forward in front of the boat, at a low altitude -- only what is necessary to avoid any bow movement in waves.   Also, go downwind with the boat -- it will be more stable in chop.

Your boat sounds a lot like my boat!  I do the same thing -- only bought an oversized landing pad that balances perfectly between the u-shaped bow seating and the seat on the front of the console.  Easy - and I have all my fingers!
to the OP -- hand launch is MUCH easier on take off!  Practice on dry land and you will realize  you can get it out of harms way (especially out of the rigging on a sailboat -- yeah, that's my first love) much quicker and easier when launching from your hand.
2018-3-23
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2018-3-23 20:33
Your boat sounds a lot like my boat!  I do the same thing -- only bought an oversized landing pad that balances perfectly between the u-shaped bow seating and the seat on the front of the console.  Easy - and I have all my fingers!
to the OP -- hand launch is MUCH easier on take off!  Practice on dry land and you will realize  you can get it out of harms way (especially out of the rigging on a sailboat -- yeah, that's my first love) much quicker and easier when launching from your hand.

I like to hand catch with the drone slightly above head level and in front of me. That way if a blade suddenly came apart it wouldn't hit me. It would also prevent it from hitting me in your situation.

I've found that I need to be rather quick with the grab before it can react.
2018-3-23
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-1 13:51
stop the boat!   sorry couldn't resist ! haha

And realise you forgot your massive net.......
2018-3-23
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So is it hard to still catch it while the boat is still?
2018-3-23
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Malaysia

I am wondering if its safe to match the speed of the moving craft/vehicle and bring it down while keeping a constant forward speed... Disable the avoidance sensors of course.

Cutoff motors only after the drone has touched surface/deck.

What do you guys think?
2018-3-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Silvex Posted at 2018-3-23 20:48
I like to hand catch with the drone slightly above head level and in front of me. That way if a blade suddenly came apart it wouldn't hit me. It would also prevent it from hitting me in your situation.

I've found that I need to be rather quick with the grab before it can react.

"I like to hand catch with the drone slightly above head level "

May I suggest some safety goggles?  
Googles cheap and replaceable.  Eyes expensive to attempt to fix, and not yet replaceable.

2018-3-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Drone catcher

Granted a little hard on the old props.
2018-3-23
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-23 22:30
"I like to hand catch with the drone slightly above head level "

May I suggest some safety goggles?  

If you're catching or launching at face level, some kind of eye protection is in order. Even still, I wouldn't want a piece of propeller hitting me in the nose. I also think catching above your head takes all but the downward sensors out of the mix.
2018-3-24
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

'You need a bigger boat!' ;-)
2018-3-24
Use props
fans6c536c0d
lvl.1
United States

Jay W Posted at 2018-3-23 22:10
I am wondering if its safe to match the speed of the moving craft/vehicle and bring it down while keeping a constant forward speed... Disable the avoidance sensors of course.

Cutoff motors only after the drone has touched surface/deck.

I would not recommend this. If something goes wrong the boat will always still be moving forward, your drone may not. In my experience its best to land on a non moving boat.
2018-3-25
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

landing on a moving boat sounds like a recipe for disaster - the smaller the boat the higher the risk. I suggest you stop the boat for landing. If the boat cannot be stopped then i recommend the Wil Smith "throw a towel at it" trick or as hedgetrimmer suggests - get a big net.
It is surely going to mess up your props sooner or later - but without some immobilisation tool the risk of you one day dropping your drone overboard during landing, i fear is high probability.
BTW if using the towel technique, ensure that the towel thrower is wealthy enough to not cry about replacing  your drone asap when they mess up.
stop the boat - i think it is the only reasonable and low risk solution.
2018-3-25
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turks and Caicos Islands

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-3-23 21:38
So is it hard to still catch it while the boat is still?

Depends on the boat -- and the body of water -- but even a kayak is unstable in a pond.  I "boat" in the Caribbean - never without swell and typically 2-4 ft.  
2018-4-12
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-23 22:33
Drone catcher
https://www.cdaquatics.co.uk/images/products/hozelock-large-fish-net-39cm_1th_3745_large.jpg[/img]

lol made me cough and splutter

Any advice about cleaning coffee splattered across a laptop screen.
2018-4-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10310322 ft
Canada

think twice before doing it,
2018-4-16
Use props
Vasco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5427717 ft
Greece

Here is how to land a drone on a moving VO65 , with wind 35 -45 knots down to Southern Ocean .....!!!!!!:

2018-4-16
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Vasco Posted at 2018-4-16 04:37
Here is how to land a drone on a moving VO65 , with wind 35 -45 knots down to Southern Ocean .....!!!!!!:

Well that is just nuts! I just can't believe the drone was able to keep up with that speed. That sailboat looks like it was going fast!!
2018-4-16
Use props
Vasco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5427717 ft
Greece

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-4-16 18:20
Well that is just nuts! I just can't believe the drone was able to keep up with that speed. That sailboat looks like it was going fast!!

25 - 30 knots !!!!
2018-4-17
Use props
aspentra
lvl.1

South Africa

disable the downward facing sensors so it doesn't bounce away from your hand.
2018-4-17
Use props
geek118
New
Flight distance : 1037 ft
United Kingdom

Vasco Posted at 2018-4-16 04:37
Here is how to land a drone on a moving VO65 , with wind 35 -45 knots down to Southern Ocean .....!!!!!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ8VjOP9Oig

If you look close you can see its a phantom, you can grab underneath, much easier than a mavic. Still very impressive though.
2018-9-7
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

you had a good tail wind
2019-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now