Abnormal Update
1085 11 2015-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alwilliams338
lvl.2
United States

Members-
       Today I upgraded with the new transmitter and the binding went well. While I was connected
with the computer I did the new software update to ver 3.12. Anytime I do an update I always do
an advanced IMU calibration. The green bar was moving as it usually does and stops about 3/4
way and hangs. I waited 30 min. and it just quit. Shut everything down including the computer
and rebooted. Connected everything up and received a message calibration needed. This time
everything went normal. Everything seems normal. I went to my normal takeoff point and started
up and all systems good. Did the compass dance and ended with 7 sats. When I took off- it
hovered at 10 ft. and did a hard bank to the right and flew uncontrollable to a tree 40 ft. away
at full speed and my sticks were centered.
        This Phantom is 6 months old and maybe 40 flights. I have never had a problem and
really trusted it.
        Was this error in IMU calibration a warning? Should I have reinstalled the update- if
this is possible?
         Thanks- Al
2015-3-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Did you also do a calibration of the control sticks?
2015-3-17
Use props
alwilliams338
lvl.2
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-17 18:14
Did you also do a calibration of the control sticks?

Gerry- Yes I did- first with the rc software and again in the Phantom software.
  Thanks- Al
2015-3-17
Use props
alwilliams338
lvl.2
United States

Ok- This is what I have done-
1- Purge computer of the DJI software
2- Installed fresh software
3- Opened up the Phantom to check for damage and connections
4- Hooked up the Phantom and went thru the whole process
(Calibrated everything)
5- New Props

Now to build up nerve enough to try again!!!
As you can see- this was my first major crash- I could not
believe the phantom could move that fast!!!

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
2015-3-17
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Could be something to do with the solar activity at the moment? Messed up the GPS maybe?  I know it's a coincidence with the upgrade but....
2015-3-17
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

I would check the numbers on the IMU screen and see if they are within the recommended settings before flying again.  When I received my Phantom 2 I had several flights where the Phantom took off to the left side. It almost caused several crashes before I saw the Y number on the Gyro was out of the norm.  An advanced calibration worked for me.
2015-3-17
Use props
alwilliams338
lvl.2
United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-18 04:43
I would check the numbers on the IMU screen and see if they are within the recommended settings befo ...

oakspi- 1st Cav myself- Know Nam well

I did do the advanced calibration and all numbers were within range. I really think it
was a faulty download. I have never had the advanced calibration just hang.
   I just finished a flight and everything seems normal.  Just watching carefully!
2015-3-17
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

It is great that you had a trouble-free flight today.  There was some solar issues happening today.  It was suggested that it would not be a good day to fly.
2015-3-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-18 09:24
It is great that you had a trouble-free flight today.  There was some solar issues happening today.  ...

The way some of these posters were carrying on about the solar activity,  I was expecting the Earth to short out and fly away and out into deep space.
2015-3-17
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Gerry, Did you fly today?  I think you said you were ready to test some new attachments.
2015-3-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-18 09:30
Gerry, Did you fly today?  I think you said you were ready to test some new attachments.

I was up yesterday and finally got the flytrex figured out.  Rainy today so I was grounded.
2015-3-17
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules