Calibration Error while flying cause home to fly drone away
2785 22 2017-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

It was one of the first flights with Spark outside with controller. It was about 15 meters up and the green GPS changed to red calibration error. I could not control. The home point had been set previously, so I hit the go home and land feature. It started to rise, which I figured was ok, since there is a setting for home elevation. But then it turned around a flew away from the home point. While flying, I heard a "Adding mode" from the phone/controller. But it just kept moving away until it was out of site. Eventually it hit a tree. Since the compass was out, the find my drone was feature not working and the flight path showed nothing. Before it hit the tree I found I could rotate the drone, but not change the direction it was heading. I got lucky and the video was running, so I found it in a tree by watching the video.

Next, I wanted to chat to get help. (this is the second time, as I had other issues) After some back and forth the chat said I should send it in for repair. I have Refresh. The site recommended I use it for expedited shipping, but then charged me $49. So I have to pay to get my faulty drone fixed. What is that about?

Anyway, I am wondering if there was something I could have done to get control back and prevent hitting the tree. I feel like I am luck I rotated it and it hit the tree, as if it did not I probably would have never found it. Which leads me to the last question. Would Refresh have helped me if I never found it?
2017-6-30
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

One more thing I have to add. I also own a Phantom 2 Vision Plus and it was been flawless for over three years. I have never had an issue with it. My point is that I am not new to this stuff and it was very frustrating and embarrassing watching the drone fly away from its home location.
2017-6-30
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

OK. Fool I am, I tried to use it again. and inside with palm launch. The Spark hovered for a moment properly and then suddenly rose and hit the ceiling. It was almost funning, thank god I had prop gaurds on. It would not palm land. It did a nice job of sanding the stipple on the ceiling. I final was able to shut it down by grabbing it and turning it upside down. After this, I will never be able to trust it. I guess I will just keep using the Phantom 2. It does not have some of the cool features, but it is reliable and will not hurt anyone...  
2017-6-30
Use props
quint7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518455 ft
  • >>>
United States

That sounds crazy that you had to pay the $ for shipping. That's not right. And it is frustrating for you use you understand drones to some degree. Hmmm. So it said "home point set" before you took off? The good news is you actually got your drone back and they/you can get the logs off of it. Otherwise you might really be screwed. This is why I buy from Amazon. So if it's "bad" right out of the box then I return it. I did that with my first P3P. I went through two of them before I got one that has worked flawlessly. Good luck with your situation.
2017-6-30
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

quint7 Posted at 2017-6-30 13:58
That sounds crazy that you had to pay the $ for shipping. That's not right. And it is frustrating for you use you understand drones to some degree. Hmmm. So it said "home point set" before you took off? The good news is you actually got your drone back and they/you can get the logs off of it. Otherwise you might really be screwed. This is why I buy from Amazon. So if it's "bad" right out of the box then I return it. I did that with my first P3P. I went through two of them before I got one that has worked flawlessly. Good luck with your situation.

Thanks. I used my refresh to get it replaced. The support chat said they did not know if I would get a refund for the $49 if it is defective. In fact, when I asked if I should return it for replacement or request a refund, the chat guy said I should get the refund! Too bad I already spent the $49. I am starting to believe he is right.
2017-6-30
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I thought I would share what is in my flight log. I added four pictures from my iPhone.

First warning at 1:16. At this point I lost all control with the exception of rotation. Notice 16 Sats and full bars on top. Next, I hit the home button at 1:45. The drone rose to Home height (default setting). Next, at 1:54 GPS signal suddenly disappeared.  The controller/phone went from Green GPS to Red calibrate error. The drone took off. The flight record does not show that it goes for another minute at a good speed. The whole time I could rotate the craft, but could not change its direction, speed or altitude.

First Warning

First Warning
IMG_1724[1].png

Lost GPS signal

Lost GPS signal

Calibration error

Calibration error
2017-6-30
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Could you upload your log to Airdata. I would love to see the errors.
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It would help if you put up your flight log, you can just go to link below and follow instructions and then come back here and post link.

The area you took off from, was there metal around or concrete which usually has rebar, this could have caused your magnetic interference we can see from your first screen shot, after your RTH in screen shot 3 you lost gps so spark doesn't know where it is and goes into ATTI mode, control is lost and spark is free flying on wind and its own propulsion.

As I said logs should show more.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-7-1
Use props
fans5a2c14ec
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17844 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was going to jump right in and buy one but I think Ill wait till the bugs are ironed out.! I had my first P3 which was a first gen model do a flyaway but it did go to where  it was last on the map,found it at the bottom of a 30 meter tree with the battery ejected and the gimbal and camera missing! Never had a problem with my other 3,not a crash yet and over 300 flights! I hope the Spark is the same after software updates because I plan to get a few and dont need to be chasing a 1000 craft around and or watching it fly off to anywhere?

2017-7-2
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 02:26
It would help if you put up your flight log, you can just go to link below and follow instructions and then come back here and post link.

The area you took off from, was there metal around or concrete which usually has rebar, this could have caused your magnetic interference we can see from your first screen shot, after your RTH in screen shot 3 you lost gps so spark doesn't know where it is and goes into ATTI mode, control is lost and spark is free flying on wind and its own propulsion.

I wish I could give you the log. The FlightRecord folder has another folder within, but is empty. I had used the DJI Assistant to download the WM100Export. Maybe that removed the data? I do have Flightlogs folder with .dat files in it. Will they help?

We were flying at the AMA Lagoon Valley Site in Vacaville. No buildings at all. I believe the spark overheated, making the GPS signal and compass have a brain fart. I used the DJI Refresh to initiate a return Friday, but I have received no mailing information or confirmation emails yet...

2017-06-30 09_44_20.zip

608 Bytes, Down times: 0

flightlog file

2017-7-2
Use props
Michael_Spark
New
Flight distance : 1427 ft
Hong Kong

I had very similar issue when my Spark lost control and flew away from me, WIFI signal was lost for 2 minutes. When the WIFI recovered I found it stuck on a tree by looking at the camera.. This is the second time this happened to my spark, the first I was lucky enough to be able to manually override the uncalled for automated drift.

I've returned the broken aircraft to the DJI store and am now waiting for them to run data analysis...
2017-7-2
Use props
fans3de11059
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michael_Spark Posted at 2017-7-2 18:26
I had very similar issue when my Spark lost control and flew away from me, WIFI signal was lost for 2 minutes. When the WIFI recovered I found it stuck on a tree by looking at the camera.. This is the second time this happened to my spark, the first I was lucky enough to be able to manually override the uncalled for automated drift.

I've returned the broken aircraft to the DJI store and am now waiting for them to run data analysis...

I had what seems to be an almost identical issue with an uncontrolled fly away today.  I was flying vertically slowly up a windmill.  As I was slowly climbing, it was drifting a little back and forth unlike normal.  Once it got to the top of the windmill it veered off to the left and took off at a high rate of speed.  It didn't last very long before it ran into a telephone pole, breaking a propeller and ejecting the battery.  Both the battery and the Spark fell about 40 ft.

When I reviewed the telemetry, it was odd because it was showing that the Spark was facing to the west for the vertical climb.  However, it was really facing south the entire time.

I haven't had a chance to fly it again to see what its current status is at.

I posted a video with discussion, video, and telemetry of my fly away event:   
2017-7-2
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26 ft
United States

As a circuit designer, my first though is excess "HEAT".
1) My outside case temp was 117F after one battery.
(Ambient air temp was 95F.)
2) There is a fan on the electronics ... flying a fan should be a last resort (uses power, and adds weight). Should have vented the outer case in the props air-flow area.
2017-7-2
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fansac3a8874 Posted at 2017-6-30 20:13
I thought I would share what is in my flight log. I added four pictures from my iPhone.

First warning at 1:16. At this point I lost all control with the exception of rotation. Notice 16 Sats and full bars on top. Next, I hit the home button at 1:45. The drone rose to Home height (default setting). Next, at 1:54 GPS signal suddenly disappeared.  The controller/phone went from Green GPS to Red calibrate error. The drone took off. The flight record does not show that it goes for another minute at a good speed. The whole time I could rotate the craft, but could not change its direction, speed or altitude.

Are you flying at a small airport?
2017-7-2
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fansac3a8874 Posted at 2017-7-2 10:21
I wish I could give you the log. The FlightRecord folder has another folder within, but is empty. I had used the DJI Assistant to download the WM100Export. Maybe that removed the data? I do have Flightlogs folder with .dat files in it. Will they help?

We were flying at the AMA Lagoon Valley Site in Vacaville. No buildings at all. I believe the spark overheated, making the GPS signal and compass have a brain fart. I used the DJI Refresh to initiate a return Friday, but I have received no mailing information or confirmation emails yet...

if this is a hardware fault why you have to apply the refresh?  Which it should be well cover by the general warranty.
2017-7-2
Use props
Dragonfly47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9465 ft
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2017-7-2 20:23

Lagoon Valley is an R/C flying field.
2017-7-3
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2017-7-2 20:23

It is an AMA flying site for small electric airplanes and helicopters.
2017-7-3
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2017-7-2 20:27
if this is a hardware fault why you have to apply the refresh?  Which it should be well cover by the general warranty.

Good question. The web site recommended I use it for expedited delivery. I am hoping they see that it is a defective unit and it does not count against my two refresh returns...
2017-7-3
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

OwlPic Posted at 2017-7-2 20:12
As a circuit designer, my first though is excess "HEAT".
1) My outside case temp was 117F after one battery.
(Ambient air temp was 95F.)

I think it is a heat issue too. I have no measurements, but had noticed that while attempting to activate it became very hot. Not too hot to pick up, but almost. Very hot.
2017-7-3
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I wonder how long it will take to get replaced?
2017-7-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Dragonfly47 Posted at 2017-7-3 05:29
Lagoon Valley is an R/C flying field.

I don’t know the place.  But it look like airport to me.
2017-7-3
Use props
quint7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518455 ft
  • >>>
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2017-7-3 20:11
I don’t know the place.  But it look like airport to me.

It looks like a miniature airport. A real airport wouldn't look that small.  You don't have context so it's hard to see that it's a model airport.
2017-7-7
Use props
fansac3a8874
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

My Spark has been received and a "replacement item" is on the way. I do not have any other feedback at this time, so I do not know if it was replaced due to it being defective, or just because I have the refresh... I hope they send a good one!
2017-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules